Nicky Dal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Nicky Dal

Heard from a pretty reliable source that Richmond are right into Dal and are hoping he will join the Tigers next year. This may or may not be true and it may not happen at all. Question is what would we ask in return from Richmond in a trade. Im assuming we would activate his contarct so we dont lose him to free agency.

Id think Richmonds second round pick and a player out of Astbury or Griffeths would be fair and fill our needs.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nicky Dal

1st pick and a swap of 2nds

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Surely their salary cap can't fit another guy wanting 600+?

They just added Knights, Chaplin, Edwards, Petterd etc and are genuinely struggling to tie up their stars because of salary cap.

If we trade Dal it needs to be a pick under 25 IMO… not sure if anyone would offer that.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

A good fit for GC i reckon...
Fits the Hawks game plan too...

What about Dal, McEvoy and pick 3 for Patton and pick 1?

Kickit
Club Player

maverick wrote:A good fit for GC i reckon...

If they trade Patton, they'll want Boyd ( pick 1 ). If they trade pick 1 they'll want Patton.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:
maverick wrote:A good fit for GC i reckon...

If they trade Patton, they'll want Boyd ( pick 1 ). If they trade pick 1 they'll want Patton.
Quite possible, what about Dal and McEvoy for Patton and a young mid then, or pick 10 and a young mid?
Would give us 2 picks inside top 10 and another highly regarded mid.

Short term loss, accelerated re-build

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I prefer simply Dal for their first pick.

Then we take the uncontracted Martin off their hands to alleviate their salary cap issues...... :lol: :lol:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Kickit
Club Player

Surely Dan Santo would be of more interest to ( and more interested in) a club with a shot at finals ( or better for us if they think they have a shot at finals ).
Their later round one picks would probably be more realistic than the early ones too.
Hawks gave up pick 9 + Mark Williams for Burgoyne. DalSanto a bit older than Burgoyne then, but arguably in better condition. A first rounder isn't out of the question.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:Surely Dan Santo would be of more interest to ( and more interested in) a club with a shot at finals ( or better for us if they think they have a shot at finals ).
Their later round one picks would probably be more realistic than the early ones too.
Hawks gave up pick 9 + Mark Williams for Burgoyne. DalSanto a bit older than Burgoyne then, but arguably in better condition. A first rounder isn't out of the question.
Agree mostly, but to have Dal at GC or GWS will give both those sides an onballer that attracts a tag and uses the ball under pressure very well, something both sides lack a bit.

In GC case, I think they could make the finals with him.

Forget the Bombers.
Hawks
Tiges
Blues
Freo

all need that one extra big bodied mid, late first rounder is worth it for 2-3 years of VG service.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dal would suit the Tiges, North, Blues or GC Id reckon. Those middle teams trying to get up to the top 6.

Tiges 2nd round pick will be around pick 32-34. Wed probably want that plus a solid player.

defacto
Club Player

nicky dal will be able to walk via FA

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:nicky dal will be able to walk via FA
restricted? same situation as bj but wed get less compo?

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Not if he's contracted. Read the Platinum members event thread.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

How?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The saints will just contract him though. There is a clause they will use. The only clubs that need dal are sides who are going forward and in the top 10 this year. tigers seem the obvious choice. Carlton wont have room as they look certain to get Thomas and maybe Watts. GC are still building and at least 4 years from winning a flag.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

The saints will just contract him though. There is a clause they will use. The only clubs that need dal are sides who are going forward and in the top 10 this year. tigers seem the obvious choice. Carlton wont have room as they look certain to get Thomas and maybe Watts. GC are still building and at least 4 years from winning a flag.
How far did you think the Bombers were from a flag at the end of 1992?

Dal would get them finals next year, given a good run with injuries, they are not that far away.....

I mean GC of course....

bergsone
SS Life Member

Don't want to lose 1 of the few players we have,who can actually use the footy

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Just because Richmond are into him doesn't mean he actually wants to go. He has stated publicly he wants to stay. He is one of the best players we've produced this century. I certainly hope the club isn't contemplating trading him if he isn't interested. Its just downright disrespectful and makes a mockery of our FQF motto.

If any of you asking for him to be traded also whinged when Ball walked out, then the bottom line is you are just hypocrites.

And for the record, I really cant see the point of trading him for a second round pick even if he is interested in entertaining the thought of a trade. Just how deep is this draft pool anyway ? .. is it average, below average or above average? .. I haven't heard anything to suggest its well above average. We may as well play hardball and hold him to his contract and demand a first round pick.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Dal for Tiges 1st pick (13 or so)

Macca, Gwilty & pick 20 to GWS for Pick 10 & Adams

Pick 10 to Tiges for Martin (after he holds them to ransom).

Draft Aish/Kelly or Billings at Pick 3, Bontompelli or Freeman at pick 13

Midfield rebuild 90% done!

spert
Saintsational Legend

NDS needs a strong midfield to do his best work, he's a skillful outside runner, creative but with an ordinary defensive game at this stage of his career. We haven't got a strong midfield and probably won't have next season either, so NDS may be better looking for a team who just need some cream on top.

FQF
SS Life Member

Not that I necessarily want to see him go, but NDS could still potentially win a flag, and maybe even a brownlow in one of the top teams.

spot on
Club Player

I think dal is a very loyal person and I think would be happy to stick out the rebuild. In saying that iv notice over the year sw has never really recognised dal when he has played a good game or brought his
Name up during on field leadership, he always seems to avoid mentioning him. Maybe to ease the uproar if he is to be traded. So I'm not too confident he will be around next year

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

It is possible that we would receive better compensation if he was taken as an uncontracted player. Dal has two finishes in the top three in the Brownlow, the last only a ple of seasons ago. Finishing with pick 3, I doubt if we would get the same compensation we got for Goddard, which would be pick 4, but I cant see why we would not get a middle or end of first round pick, 11 or 19 at this stage.

noob
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:It is possible that we would receive better compensation if he was taken as an uncontracted player. Dal has two finishes in the top three in the Brownlow, the last only a ple of seasons ago. Finishing with pick 3, I doubt if we would get the same compensation we got for Goddard, which would be pick 4, but I cant see why we would not get a middle or end of first round pick, 11 or 19 at this stage.
Probably after 2nd round I'd say. Pick 22 or 23.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Come on, lets have some positivity towards Mr Dal Santo:

Will be a revered one-club player to build our culture for the next gen to build on ("if I have seen far, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants")
We need all the experienced mids we can get with Hayes struggling to get out there
Still by far the best pass at the club
Is probably getting the no. 1 stopper each week - this will go to Jack, and then no. 2 to armo etc
A great media performer (we need all the good press we can get)
Seems a really nice guy who wants to stay - club looks mercenary to do trade
Has been loyal to the club when I sure he got offered big $ to go elsewhere

Unless he had a change of mind and wanted to have a shot at a premiership elsewhere and we could get a really really good deal, we should keep him