Okay Mr Watters show us you can coach?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Okay Mr Watters show us you can coach?

I don't think our team (fit) is too bad.... Nor did the Majority in the pre season... Sam Fisher has hurt more than people think

But the list is poor going fwd is poor... For the near future...

Not sure that makes sense?
Any team with Roo, Hayes, Dal, Joey, Fisher, Milne.... With back up from Dempster, Steven, Armitage, Schnieder, Gilbert, Geary, McEvoy, Ray.... Is not a bad team at all... Even though mant are past their best... They are still capable afl footballers...

The bottom of the list is either hopeless or developing... So injuries opened us up and luckily exposed our hopeless (to define them and developing)this will speed up the transition more so
Like 2001/2002

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I don't think our team (fit) is too bad.... Nor did the Majority in the pre season... Sam Fisher has hurt more than people think

Any team with Roo, Hayes, Dal, Joey, Fisher, Milne.... With back up from Dempster, Steven, Armitage, Schnieder, Gilbert, Geary, McEvoy, Ray.... Is not a bad team at all... Even though mant are past their best... They are still capable afl footballers...
No really - the majority did think we were bad in the pre-season.
90% of footy fans picked us for bottom 4.
And older players get injured. Thats what happens. So when we have an old list you cant blame 'injuries' as an external factor. They are inherent part of an ageing or aged list. It is WHO we are.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
BigMart wrote:I don't think our team (fit) is too bad.... Nor did the Majority in the pre season... Sam Fisher has hurt more than people think

No really - the majority did think we were bad in the pre-season.
90% of footy fans picked us for bottom 4.
And older players get injured. Thats what happens. So when we have an old list you cant blame 'injuries' as an external factor. They are inherent part of an ageing or aged list. It is WHO we are.

Con i would suggest the majority had us bottom 6. I doubt more than 10% had us bottom 4. matter of fact it may have been less because most would have had WB, melbourne, GWS and GC behind us and many also may have had brisbane as well. We werent classed as a threat this year but we werent a bottom 4 side either.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not the experts and fans I remember....

The consensus
9-13

A few had us in the 8, and a few more in the bottom 4

If I had to guess a mean ladder position from everyone preseason 11-12th perhaps

Which won't work out as well as finishing 16th anyway..... For two reasons
Kids exposure, and higher picks in the ND and tougher calls not prolonged

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not the experts and fans I remember....

The consensus
9-13

A few had us in the 8, and a few more in the bottom 4

If I had to guess a mean ladder position from everyone preseason 11-12th perhaps

Which won't work out as well as finishing 16th anyway..... For two reasons
Kids exposure, and higher picks in the ND and tougher calls not prolonged
Agreed. No point in being mediocre for years like Richmond and Brisbane. If by necessity, through years of negligent recruiting, substandard player development, and injury to senior and talented players, we bottom out straight away and make tough decisions this year rather than next, I'm okay with it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Well done Scotty Watters and Saints the heart is still beating !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Well done Scotty Watters and Saints the heart is still beating !
Well done Winners Only for doing what James Hird finds so hard to do!!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Well done Scotty Watters and Saints the heart is still beating !

So in your eyes can you tell us what he did differently in his gameplan this week?

I thought it was the same as most weeks except we had winners in key positions, cj blanketed Ablett, we wont the clearances, Dal was not tagged and therefore had 100% efficency up until 3/4 time, Hickey rucked well and was an extra tall for the GC to worry about, and Gilbo shows he has been BADLY missed down back all year.

Just because we win a game doesn't make Watters better or worse than before the game. he didn't pull any master strokes. GC were ordinary and have never won a game at Etihad.

Not Impressed WinnersOnly

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Well done Nick Riewoldt I reckon....you won't lose with a CHF with those numbers.....

It was Gold Coast.... In Melbourne.... Should win that

Greg T
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Well done Nick Riewoldt I reckon....you won't lose with a CHF with those numbers.....

It was Gold Coast.... In Melbourne.... Should win that
Trick is to find another one

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
So in your eyes can you tell us what he did differently in his gameplan this week?

I thought it was the same as most weeks except we had winners in key positions, cj blanketed Ablett, we wont the clearances, Dal was not tagged and therefore had 100% efficency up until 3/4 time, Hickey rucked well and was an extra tall for the GC to worry about, and Gilbo shows he has been BADLY missed down back all year.

Just because we win a game doesn't make Watters better or worse than before the game. he didn't pull any master strokes. GC were ordinary and have never won a game at Etihad.

Not Impressed WinnersOnly
I think SW got his team selections right this week. I also thought his game plan was really good and because he got his selections right he was able to set up a structure that the opposition just found difficult to play but credit should also go to the players for sticking to the game plan. What a genius. I hope that explains it JB.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

One swallow doesn't make a summer, or a winter for that matter.

I want to believe Watters is the right man, but there's a hell a long way to go for him to prove it

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He actually played a bit more of a mature team even though they were still pretty inexperienced. We could probably win more playing similar teams but we sacrifice 4 years from now for some cheap wins and a climb a few spots up the ladder.

Shenton, Curren and Ledger are already somewhat mature and we had lenny, Milne, Blake, Gilbert, Schnieder etc who have all been missing for parts of the season.

Murdoch was our only first year and Ross and Newnes our only second years. That must be his most mature team so far. i think he pencilled this one in and selected accordingly.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He actually played a bit more of a mature team even though they were still pretty inexperienced. We could probably win more playing similar teams but we sacrifice 4 years from now for some cheap wins and a climb a few spots up the ladder.

Shenton, Curren and Ledger are already somewhat mature and we had lenny, Milne, Blake, Gilbert, Schnieder etc who have all been missing for parts of the season.

Murdoch was our only first year and Ross and Newnes our only second years. That must be his most mature team so far. i think he pencilled this one in and selected accordingly.
You're right - and the stars aligned with his the old faithfuls - Gilbo, Hayes, Schneider, Milne, Blake etc - being fit and having some games under their belts to have some nice touch. Clever match panel selections as gives the players and supporters a good feeling going into the off-season winning one of our last two and doesn't effect our draft pick no. Ah that winning feeling was damn nice coming home. But it is the big dogs still winning the games for us. As they keep moving out you wonder if wins might be even scarcer for a while.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

To those who compared SW to Timid, you were all wrong. SW has proved he wants to be up for the long term challenge of coaching and rebuilding the team. Contrary to this, Timid opted out before the conclusion of the second year of his tenure.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
andrewg
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Okay Mr Watters show us you can coach?

I for one are a strong sceptic of your coaching ability and believe you have shown us nothing to suggest you can be a successful AFL coach. You have shown you can play and develop kids but so can every TAC coach, now is the time to get the team/club primed to finish their year with a deserved WIN !

Play Kosi and bring back Lenny, Milne and Blake and get some passion and belief back into this playing group as these players have been champions of our football club.

This week against the SUNS is your chance to stand up and show us you have a future with this football club?
Done

Buckets
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:To those who compared SW to Timid, you were all wrong. SW has proved he wants to be up for the long term challenge of coaching and rebuilding the team. Contrary to this, Timid opted out before the conclusion of the second year of his tenure.

I honestly can't believe there are some on here happy to compare him to Timid! Out of their freaking minds!!!!

Not even close!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Okay Mr Watters show us you can coach?

I for one are a strong sceptic of your coaching ability and believe you have shown us nothing to suggest you can be a successful AFL coach. You have shown you can play and develop kids but so can every TAC coach, now is the time to get the team/club primed to finish their year with a deserved WIN !

Play Kosi and bring back Lenny, Milne and Blake and get some passion and belief back into this playing group as these players have been champions of our football club.

This week against the SUNS is your chance to stand up and show us you have a future with this football club?

I'm sick of idiots coming on here with absolutely no idea about football and how they think it should work. If you look at the stats of any good coach then you would realise that it takes at least 3 seasons for a game plan to be implemented and also get the list they want for their game plan. So stop jumping all over a second year coach and let him do his job!!

Paul roos third year 2005
Lyon 2009
Clarkson 2007.
And look how these coaches turned. They didn't set world on fire until their third year. We won't donate but well have improvement and we have been drafting very well the past 2 years so I think if we get another good batch the could really make us into a top 4 team in 3-4 years

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
spert
Saintsational Legend

A sign of good coaching would be to see players other than the older brigade getting into the best 5 players, In 2014 I would expect to see Curren, Hickey and a few other young ones get in the votes along with Steven

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

John Longmire, Nathan Buckley, Chris Scott..... Further back, Ayres Geelong, MM at WCE, Eade at Sydney... All played in the big one first or second year also

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Buckley?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

big_mac_evoy5 wrote:If you look at the stats of any good coach then you would realise that it takes at least 3 seasons for a game plan to be implemented and also get the list they want for their game plan. So stop jumping all over a second year coach and let him do his job!!

Paul roos third year 2005
Lyon 2009
Clarkson 2007.
And look how these coaches turned. They didn't set world on fire until their third year.
I hope Watters is savvy enough not to be putting all his eggs in the basket of his third year, because I reckon we'll win less than five games again in 2014.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Nathan go ok in his first year?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Didn't Nathan go ok in his first year?
Nathan???
Tinkler?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Coached this year for the future.
Coached on Saturday for the team and supporters.
Will get the extension on his contract very soon.
We have the right man.