Courageous Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Courageous Saints

Players like Lenny Hayes are the prime and clearcut example of courage. Never waver on their attack on the footy no matter the personal risk.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Firstly,

Last decade was the comment in the OP...

Second

Tough guys and courage don't always go hand in hand...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes, Lenny is the very definition of courage... Absolutely

I think when you're at that level, not much can split them

Max an Lenny for instance.... No fear whatsoever

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I suppose it all comes down to the definition of courage.
IMHO, the much maligned Robert Eddy showed plenty of courage playing those 2 GFs in 2010.

Ian Stewart was one of the most courageous players I had the pleasure of watching.
Darryl Griffiths another.
Barks never ever took a backward step.
Roo displays as much courage as any player I have seen during my 50+ years of watching football. I will never forget that mark he took at the SCG.
Does anybody remember a single occasion that Lenny took a backward step? I cannot.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Raph Clarke showed courage just to get out on the field with his eppilepsy!

PADDLEPOP1000
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Putting your body on the line for the team

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Think most players are courageous. Rooy and Lenny have been the leaders in the last 10 years IMO.

georgie girl
Club Player

Great post. Definitely like to add Burkey, Barks and Harves into a terrific list.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

At varying degrees ......

Hard to measure courage, I think Len and Roo might be about the same as perhaps Mini or Geary, difference being that their heightened skill makes it more obvious, because they are around the footy more and have more of an impact on games...

Eg, mini cannot run back into packs and take contested marks... And Geary cannot win the amount of contested footy Lenny does, due to talent.....

Courage is a funny one, you either have it or you don't its innate
I know a Y9 kid who is absolutely mad he is that fearless, he is at a point where he loves to put himself in dangerous position, I think he likes the thrill.... I have told him he needs to learn how to protect himself if he's going to throw himself into contests, he just laughed and said, if I go harder the other person will come off second best.... He not a great player... Just doesnt feel fear... I've seen him dive head first onto someone's kick
He actually rides moto cross
Point is, he would have as much courage as Nick Riewoldt.... Courage doesn't take talent...

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Fiona. Had to put up with abuse from his own supporters on a weekly basis. That's courageous.

Club Player

I reckon for total disregard of safety Brett Voss did it more times than others. Stupid brave.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Greg Burns
This.

Obviously not of the last decade, but Burnsy and Joffa Cunningham were two of the hardest men ever to pull on the Saints guernsey IMO....and we've had plenty of them.

onlooker2
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Number 19 is one of the biggest thugs to ever play the game. Wouldn't last 5 minutes today. Intentional, severe, head, straight to the tribunal every time. nothing courageous there!

Who did you barrack for in those days? It certainly was not St.Kilda if you think that.
No 19 was not a thug. He was a player with limited agility, was agressive and ran straight at the ball. If you were in his path it was just too bad. He didn't play any other way in his limited career at the saints. There was nothing premeditated or intentional other than getting the ball at full tilt. That was Eric Guy.

True story. He was a Dainer by profession. When we moved to Melb in the late 50's he dug a trench the length of my parents' quarter acre block in Box Hill which had a depth of about 5 feet at the back of the block to about 4 feet at the front of the block with a pick and shovel to put the sewer in. H e did this in a day and a half. His car with trailer was parked in front of the block. He had a greyhound on the back of his trailer and when he left a wheel came off his trailer which sent the dog and all his gear all over the road. He came back to get my father and one of his mates to pick the trailer up so he could get the wheel back on. He then drove off as if nothing unusual had occurred. My father was just amazed that someone working on their own could put in a trench of this size with a pick and shovel in a bit over a day in the Box Hill clay soil.