Dal Santo to North Melbourne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Re: Dal Santo to North Melbourne

Wayne42 wrote:If he wants to chase a flag why would he agree to go to North, it's an oxymoron
There's plenty of reason why somebody could be optimistic about North's chances. They had the 3rd best attack and a top-8 defence. They only lost two games this year by more than three goals. They let some games go against quality opposition that really cost them finals. Whether or not you agree that North is a team on the rise, surely you can see why somebody else might believe that. Dal might think himself the difference or he might believe improvement in their younger players will get them there. There's no reason it has to be next year either. I'd be surprised if Dal doesn't keep playing well into his 30s.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
mohannair
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote:Why would Dal agree to go to a club like North, if he's going to leave the Saints then he should at least demand he gets traded to a club with half a chance at success, not another club
that relies on AFL welfare to survive.

North lost 7 or 8 games less than a kick.
Had it gone its way they would have finished in Top 4.

I think they will be in Top 4. They need some one to release the tag of Swallow.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Ive said it before i want Dal to stay and a mid-late 2nd round pick just isnt worth trading a club great for. But if we got a top 10 pick for him then I would take it.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

mohannair wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:Why would Dal agree to go to a club like North, if he's going to leave the Saints then he should at least demand he gets traded to a club with half a chance at success, not another club
that relies on AFL welfare to survive.

North lost 7 or 8 games less than a kick.
Had it gone its way they would have finished in Top 4.

I think they will be in Top 4. They need some one to release the tag of Swallow.
North are crap.. good luck Dal if you go to that rabble

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

So what's the most likely deal then, Dal in exchange for Delaney and their 2nd round pick?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Thats what I thought last about North for 2013.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Would hate to see him go. You don't trade away your club greats. And I reckon Dal fits nicely into that category. However if he wants out we need to get the best possible deal - and anything in the top 10 will be fantastic and more than worth it. Would be sad to see him go. Always liked him as a player and he seemed like a genuinely good bloke.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

North need someone like dal. They have a young improving list so he would be a good get for them.

We are rebuilding so pick 9 would be awesome for us.
3,9 and 21 and we are back in business if we use them wisely and get three more young guns.

I love dal but this would be a win win.
We need to make sure elshaugh does the draft picks. I don't trust pelchen.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Would be happy enough if we ended with Bruce (GWS) in a 3 way deal

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
PurpleHayes wrote:You heard it here first:
Dal to north for 1st round pick 9/10.
The reason north will do it is because they will then nominate for McDonald under father/son with their 2nd round pick.
North effectively give up pick 9 and second rounder, and still get McDonald and gain Dal Santo.
With all due respect you obviously have no idea how the draft/father son bidding works.
From Wiki

n 2007 the AFL made a major amendment for the father-son rule, establishing a bidding system to determine which draft pick a club must give up to secure the potential recruit. The current system works as follows:

1. Individual clubs are free to nominate potential father-son recruits within the eligibility guidelines below.
2. A meeting is held on the Monday before the start of trade week where clubs can bid for the nominated players. Each club has the option to bid, in reverse ladder order, for the nominated players.
3. If a bid is made, the club that nominated the father-son player must use its next available selection if it wishes to retain its hold on that player.
If a club nominating the father-son player declines to match the selection nominated, the club with the successful bid must use that selection at the Draft to select the player.
4. Any club that makes a successful bid on a father-son selection must commit to pick the player they nominate.
5. If no bid is made by another club, the club that nominated the father-son eligible player will forfeit its last selection in the draft to select the player.

Unfortunately North has to nominate and others clubs have to bid before the start of trade week ie: if say Western Bulldogs say they are going to take McDonald with pick 4 then North must take McDonald with pick 9 (if they want him) and this is before we could trade Dal Santo for pick 9. If no other club (who have pick in front of North) bids for McDonald then North can take him with a later draft pick ie: Viney last year.

If this last scenario is the case and North can get McDonald with their 2nd round draft pick you would think there would be no chance that they would trade pick 9 for Dal when they could pick up another highly rated youngster - that said how desperate are they for Dal Santo - maybe they think he could be the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle and add that touch of class their midfield needs

If was were offered pick 9 for Dal Santo I would take it in a heartbeat - Dal Santo will not be around by the time we are ready for our next Premiership tilt and I'm sorry but if I had a choice between seeing Dal playing 300 games for the Saints or picking up another highly rated youngster that could make the difference betweeen us winning a Premiership then bye bye Dal and thanks for the memories.

One player does not maketh a club and the club is in the business of winning Premierships and its about time we won one.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:haven't posters on here been calling for that for half the year???

some can't make up their minds

Don't go Dal
But if he'd hasn't signed and wants more years and coin than we think he's worth at this stage of his career we then need to look at trades.

What would you take for him?

For me it's about pick 17 or better. A pick in the 20's and we lose.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps it's North's 1st round pick (9) for Dal Santo and our 2nd round pick. Then we give up the pick 9 to GWS for Bruce and their 2nd round pick, so it makes it effectively and straight swap of Dal Santo for Bruce.

SuperDuper
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:Perhaps it's North's 1st round pick (9) for Dal Santo and our 2nd round pick. Then we give up the pick 9 to GWS for Bruce and their 2nd round pick, so it makes it effectively and straight swap of Dal Santo for Bruce.
Did you read above?

North have to use their 1st round pick on McDonald.

there is no hope in the world they will take Dal and miss McDonald

Bruce is not worth 9 either

spot on
Club Player

I would love to see dal get to 300 hundred games at the club. He has been model player for us and has been promoting the club a lot with him media work. Still think he has at least 3 years left. If he was to leave for anything less then say a pick 15 I was be very disappointed

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Have to make tough decisions. Need big CHB so have to trade someone with currency.
Gotta pay up. Simple.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
sax
Club Player

How about Dal & our 3rd round pick for Luke Delaney, Levi Greenwood & Roos 2nd round pick?

That would give us a KPD & a tough midfielder, both under 25, plus another pick in the top 30!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
The reason north will do it is because they will then nominate for McDonald under father/son with their 2nd round pick.
North effectively give up pick 9 and second rounder, and still get McDonald and gain Dal Santo.
With all due respect you obviously have no idea how the draft/father son bidding works.
From Wiki

n 2007 the AFL made a major amendment for the father-son rule, establishing a bidding system to determine which draft pick a club must give up to secure the potential recruit. The current system works as follows:

1. Individual clubs are free to nominate potential father-son recruits within the eligibility guidelines below.
2. A meeting is held on the Monday before the start of trade week where clubs can bid for the nominated players. Each club has the option to bid, in reverse ladder order, for the nominated players.
3. If a bid is made, the club that nominated the father-son player must use its next available selection if it wishes to retain its hold on that player.
If a club nominating the father-son player declines to match the selection nominated, the club with the successful bid must use that selection at the Draft to select the player.
4. Any club that makes a successful bid on a father-son selection must commit to pick the player they nominate.
5. If no bid is made by another club, the club that nominated the father-son eligible player will forfeit its last selection in the draft to select the player.

Unfortunately North has to nominate and others clubs have to bid before the start of trade week ie: if say Western Bulldogs say they are going to take McDonald with pick 4 then North must take McDonald with pick 9 (if they want him) and this is before we could trade Dal Santo for pick 9. If no other club (who have pick in front of North) bids for McDonald then North can take him with a later draft pick ie: Viney last year.

If this last scenario is the case and North can get McDonald with their 2nd round draft pick you would think there would be no chance that they would trade pick 9 for Dal when they could pick up another highly rated youngster - that said how desperate are they for Dal Santo - maybe they think he could be the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle and add that touch of class their midfield needs

If was were offered pick 9 for Dal Santo I would take it in a heartbeat - Dal Santo will not be around by the time we are ready for our next Premiership tilt and I'm sorry but if I had a choice between seeing Dal playing 300 games for the Saints or picking up another highly rated youngster that could make the difference betweeen us winning a Premiership then bye bye Dal and thanks for the memories.

One player does not maketh a club and the club is in the business of winning Premierships and its about time we won one.

You want that kid to be a gun though.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:How about Dal & our 3rd round pick for Luke Delaney, Levi Greenwood & Roos 2nd round pick?

That would give us a KPD & a tough midfielder, both under 25, plus another pick in the top 30!

They rate Greenwood very highly so I think they might tell us to get stuffed on that one. They do need some class though so depends how desperate they get.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
Greg T wrote:
If thats true that is infuriating to say the least.
Why would they allow one of our most skilled players to be traded.
Hes a saints man thru and thru.
If watters allows that,sack him ,
We can ill afford to lose players of his cailbre with some of the garage thats down there atm.
Can you name the garbage?
He can't but he can spell anti depressant I'm betting.

Rosco
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:Perhaps it's North's 1st round pick (9) for Dal Santo and our 2nd round pick. Then we give up the pick 9 to GWS for Bruce and their 2nd round pick, so it makes it effectively and straight swap of Dal Santo for Bruce.
Did you read above?

They have to use their pick 9 if another club bids a higher pick for him. That hasn't happened yet unless I've missed something.

doggerel
Club Player

Rosco wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:
Did you read above?

They have to use their pick 9 if another club bids a higher pick for him. That hasn't happened yet unless I've missed something.
No, but many consider McDonald to be Top 5. Not much chance of him slipping through to second round.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
PJ
SS Life Member

Dal for Bruce and we lose. Sorry but a top tier mid like Dal, who has a good 3 to 4 years, for a kid with potential as a defender. Naa

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Dal for Bruce and we lose. Sorry but a top tier mid like Dal, who has a good 3 to 4 years, for a kid with potential as a defender. Naa
So how else do we get a KPD?
How would you get one, out of the draft is not good enough.

kp83
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:We need to make sure elshaugh does the draft picks. I don't trust pelchen.
Based on what?

I don't think drafting is down to one individual. They'll all have their say and from that we'll pick someone. Based on the last 2 years I am optimistic we have a much clearer direction of what kind of player and person we want and that we'll do well again in this draft. I don't reckon this is simply down to one man and not another.

PJ
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:
PJ wrote:Dal for Bruce and we lose. Sorry but a top tier mid like Dal, who has a good 3 to 4 years, for a kid with potential as a defender. Naa
So how else do we get a KPD?
How would you get one, out of the draft is not good enough.
There are still other trade options without having to lose Dal. Bruce sounds like a reasonable prospect but not at that price - Pelchen has mentioned several options so I wouldn't stress it yet. Anyway the only way that we'd be getting Bruce for Dal is in a 3 way swap involving another club which none of us have any inside info on I'm pretty sure.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.