Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon

suss wrote:
BigMart wrote:Didn't say amazing GF day coach

Match day coach.... He's won 70% of games and turned two cultural on field basket cases into feared opponents
He's very good in GFs too. We would've won in 2009 had our players nailed their opportunities. Not Lyon's fault. While it was a mistake, I doubt a few minutes more of Luke Ball on the field would've made the difference.

And his performance in the 2010 first GF was very good. Sending Gilbert forward, shutting down their attack after half time. We were never the equal of Collingwood that year. Great effort to get so close.

I think he's the best in the business. Shame he didn't stay.
EXACTLY. Let's have a close look at the two lists that day. Guys like Eddie, Peake, mini - all delisted shortly after that GF and NO club picked them up as ide from mini, who was subsequently delisted from a bottom club. Anyone who thought before that finals series that the pies weren't going to win the thing by 10 goals is lying. They were thrashing EVERYONE and had just come off belting the cats in a prelim. To draw that game still amazes me.

Look closely at our list in 09 compared with the Cats. I recall looking at the two teams the morning of the GF and was amazed at what RL was able to do. The cats team was literally full of superstars, ours had about 5-6 superstars, and the rest did their job. We dominated much of that game and should have won. Ball couldn't run that year, and I don't care what anyone says - his game was no where near as good as what ppl try and make out. Yes he was getting the ball, and it was about 50% better game than most he had played that year, but the facts were he struggled to run games out, and he definitely didn't provide run or spread when we would have needed it. He was NOT the difference in us winning and losing and those that think he was are deluding themselves by watching the 2010 + Ball and forget the 09 version.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I believe coaching is like a relationship, a workplace, or a neighbourhood. Quite often, things go stale, little things escalate, grudges can fester. Can't be fixed.
Marriages dissolve, workers resign and get another job, folks sell up and move house.
Quite often, everyone ends up better off after the change.
Some ppl need to stop living in the past and stop sulking. Move on and look to the future. Lyon leaving was the best thing for the club.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
stevie
Saintsational Legend

If I accidentally find out in a few weeks that a maggot like Ballantyne and his other Freo flog mates has a flag, I will vomit

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

As Ross said

Stk couldn't get done in 8 months, what it took Freo to do in 8 hours? From the other side of the country no less...

You snooze, you lose....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:As Ross said

Stk couldn't get done in 8 months, what it took Freo to do in 8 hours? From the other side of the country no less...

You snooze, you lose....

I do not even slightly understand what you mean but i have no doubt it is some way of again bagging our club. You are very consistant of that.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:If I accidentally find out in a few weeks that a maggot like Ballantyne and his other Freo flog mates has a flag, I will vomit
They won't beat Hawthorn in a GF, but if Geelong make it instead, whacko!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
stevie wrote:If I accidentally find out in a few weeks that a maggot like Ballantyne and his other Freo flog mates has a flag, I will vomit
They won't beat Hawthorn in a GF, but if Geelong make it instead, whacko!

I certainly think freo can win it. Got the best coach and a very good list and nearly look certain to play in the GF.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure they are a certainty but they are in a very good position.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I'm not sure they are a certainty but they are in a very good position.

I reckon when you will likely to play an injury riddled swans then they should win.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I'm not sure they are a certainty but they are in a very good position.

I reckon when you will likely to play an injury riddled swans then they should win.

Finals are funny the way they can pan out though. Port and Freo showed that. They are an inexperienced finals side still and will be under more pressure at home. They should win but I wouldn't put the house on it.

twirlyhair
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

You snooze, you lose....

I do not even slightly understand what you mean but i have no doubt it is some way of again bagging our club. You are very consistant of that.
We should bag our club! We should demand more. They continually make us look stupid!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You snooze, you lose....

We should bag our club! We should demand more. They continually make us look stupid!

Yep because bagging our club on here will help. And i dont think our footy club would make anyone look stupid here. But some of the posts on here can make people look stupid.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

You snooze, you lose....

lol. you didn't buy that did you?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

RL had 12 wins in his last year with the Saints - Watters had 12 wins in his first year with the Saints!!

RL is a good coach only if he's given a strong ready-made list.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Freo have to win this year IMO, too physically taxing long term.

Best chance this year for them.

No way. Sch an interrupted year with key injuries... And not the best team.

This year is premature - but to deliver a home prelim in under two years at Fremantle is a magnificent achievement.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Can people just say and it get on with it?

Best coach in the AFL.

Has transformed the continually mocked Fremantle in less than two years. A job that no one could do for nearly two decades.

They win without key players, they win in Melbourne, they win finals, they win finals in Geelong.

No matter what the rest of the year holds, they are respected, consistent and unpropromising.

Badlands
Club Player

Just saw footage from his presser yesterday. Reinforced my views of him. Very very good coach. Very very average person.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Badlands wrote:Just saw footage from his presser yesterday. Reinforced my views of him. Very very good coach. Very very average person.

Really? Because he had a go at a journalist that questioned his integrity?

How does RL treat his wife? What type of father is he? How does he treat his friends? These things describe a person.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

You snooze, you lose....

Spot on.

Coupled with this is the fact we are financially not strong and scared thus incorporated a 'clause' that allowed him to break his contract.

We weren't in a position to stuff around with the clause there.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Lyon is very, very good.

He was good with us, but in my opinion, made huge errors when it counted, and also had a flawed game plan.

His flawed game plan appears to have improved. That may be due to better personnel - or he may have realised it was flawed and changed it since he left us.

For mine, the only thing left between him being a very, very good coach and a great one - will be him coaching well on GF day.

Having said all that, I still think he'd run his race at the Saints and wouldn't have added any more value. So I bear no grudge.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

You snooze, you lose....

Spot on.

Coupled with this is the fact we are financially not strong and scared thus incorporated a 'clause' that allowed him to break his contract.

We weren't in a position to stuff around with the clause there.

I don't think the club really wanted him. I think there were doubts about him going forward. I don't think it was clumsiness that saw his contract not tied up earlier, I think they were keeping their options open.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Badlands wrote:Just saw footage from his presser yesterday. Reinforced my views of him. Very very good coach. Very very average person.

How does RL treat his wife? What type of father is he? How does he treat his friends? These things describe a person.
Yep, true.

But more importantly, we have to ask...how would he treat a dwarf if handed a lighter? Intriguing thought.... :roll:

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The talent at the Dockers cannot be underestimated.

Mundy, Hill, Barlow, Pavlich, McPharlin, Sandilands, Pearce, Fyfe, Crowley were all very good footballers before Lyon went there.

However dudes like Ballantyne, Mizungu, Mayne etc. were all talented but with flaws. Lyon has been able to hide their flaws by building such a solid tram structure. This has made these guys into very good players.

So really, it's textbook Lyon. It's very, very similar to when he took us on.

Badlands
Club Player

Spinner wrote:

Sorry but that 'what's your name?' carry-on to try and humiliate journos is best left to prats like Bernard Tomic and he came off looking ordinary. The question was 'was there a message to players to be physical?' Questioning his integrity... give me a spell.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Can people just say and it get on with it?

Best coach in the AFL.

Has transformed the continually mocked Fremantle in less than two years. A job that no one could do for nearly two decades.

They win without key players, they win in Melbourne, they win finals, they win finals in Geelong.

No matter what the rest of the year holds, they are respected, consistent and unpropromising.
I think Clarkson has him covered.

Really, several do if you look at pure results.

But looking at it right now, Clarkson rebuilt a team and pinched a flag with it, then re-jigged the whole operation again and has just waltzed into a prelim without 2 of their best and most influential players.

Frankly, Lyon needs to coach a flag. For a coach to get the praise and accolades that he gets, without having won a premiership is really quite strange.