Dal Santo to North Melbourne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Dal Santo to North Melbourne

dear god please let dal stay a saint

amen

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Completely Gone judging by the articles...they are just managing our expectations.

Nee!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote:Completely Gone judging by the articles...they are just managing our expectations.
It is a weird way of perhaps managing expectations.

Why not just say nothing?

Although people whinge if someone says something or doesn't say something.

In the end the compensation probably will not outweigh the benefit of trading him so lets just keep him

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

fugazi wrote:Completely Gone judging by the articles...they are just managing our expectations.
I wouldn't say completely gone, but yes I agree they are bracing us for the possibility of him leaving. Absolutely no doubt they will be shopping him around.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SuperDuper
Club Player

They must be shopping him around as a FA and trying to guess if he will be band 1 2. 3 or whatever. Won't be band 1 obviously at his age. They would know that. But due to us having pick 3, even band 3 is a decent pick I.e a second rounder just after our current one is around 24. They will be toying with what that can get with that type of pick.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Why is Dal Santo possibly traded such a shock?

Pelcan told the Platinium members that there would be a "shock" trade during the period (or words to that effect).

I took that as Montagna or Dal Santo, possibly McEvoy.

Thought they were the only players with currency worth trading.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
maverick
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Why is Dal Santo possibly traded such a shock?

Pelcan told the Platinium members that there would be a "shock" trade during the period (or words to that effect).

I took that as Montagna or Dal Santo, possibly McEvoy.

Thought they were the only players with currency worth trading.
Maybe its Fish?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Kanga mates I speak to are quite "meh" when it comes to Delaney..

“Yeah….nah””
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Kanga mates I speak to are quite "meh" when it comes to Delaney..
a battler at best according to north followers I know

saint4life
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Has anyone though Dal is such a top selfless bloke that he feels if - at 30 - he can snag the Saints a ten year player he will take one for the team?

Not really. I don't believe anyone would be that altruistic. Blind loyalty is for the fans.

Just like BJ who probably would have preferred to stay, Dal will do what is in his best interests, as will the Saints.

It sounds like he probably wants to stay and in a perfect world we'd keep him etc etc but....

I think you're slightly off

I do think he wants to do right by the club but that feeling is also juxtaposed with his own self interest of lining his pockets with $$$ or some silverware

The altruistic part is that i don't believe he will walk out on the club like Goddard or weaken our bargaining position like Ball

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Dal is 75% gone. The left over is 25% is in case we can find a suitable trade for Armo.

That is what I've had relayed to me. We won't be losing both but one will be gone, and at this stage it's looking like it will be Dal. The club is very nervous about Fisher and Armo, you can be assured of that. Both are on the table. Losing Fisher, Dal and Armo is far too much in one year, but just Fisher and Dal or just Fisher and Armo? Well the club feels that's okay.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Kanga mates I speak to are quite "meh" when it comes to Delaney..

My mate said he's okay but behind a few others. He preferred the idea of keeping him than Grima for another year or two. They have a few big back these days.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

#1GILL wrote:Dal is 75% gone. The left over is 25% is in case we can find a suitable trade for Armo.

That is what I've had relayed to me. We won't be losing both but one will be gone, and at this stage it's looking like it will be Dal. The club is very nervous about Fisher and Armo, you can be assured of that. Both are on the table. Losing Fisher, Dal and Armo is far too much in one year, but just Fisher and Dal or just Fisher and Armo? Well the club feels that's okay.

Interesting thoughts. You speak as though you have some inside information.

Basically, Fisher and Dal are to be traded this year or never, one more year on and they would be worth nothing. Armo has definite trade value, especially if we pick up Mitchie and/or Adams as I said in a previous thread. We are rebuilding, and top end talent is good this year, if we were to lose Dal, Chips and Armo, it may as well be while we are down the bottom.

Personally though, I'd rather keep Dal to help the kids, and trade out Chips and Armo.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

St Ick wrote:
#1GILL wrote:Dal is 75% gone. The left over is 25% is in case we can find a suitable trade for Armo.

Basically, Fisher and Dal are to be traded this year or never, one more year on and they would be worth nothing. Armo has definite trade value, especially if we pick up Mitchie and/or Adams as I said in a previous thread. We are rebuilding, and top end talent is good this year, if we were to lose Dal, Chips and Armo, it may as well be while we are down the bottom.

Personally though, I'd rather keep Dal to help the kids, and trade out Chips and Armo.
I should state that I didn't obtain this information first-hand, but it is from someone that I know for a fact has a connection to the club. Whether or not their connection is in a position to know all the ins and the outs I'm not too sure. Wouldn't take what I have said here as 100% gospel, other than the fact that the club has genuine concerns about Fisher and Armitage's behaviour and who they spend time with outside the club.

Thought it was interesting information, so I passed it on.

Will be interesting to see what arrangement (if any) we come to with GWS.

We could see a combination involving any of Pick 1, Pick 3, Pick 9, Picks 20 & 22, Bruce, Adams, Fisher, Gilbert, Armitage, Gwilt, McEvoy, Patton, Kristen Jaksch.

Anything could happen! But most likely will end up with a fairly standard and dull trade.

PJ
SS Life Member

Can't see that the deal for Dal in exchange for Delaney and 26 will get over the line and why should it. Delaney is around 24 and still can't get a regular spot so clearly he is not rated best 22 by his own club. Pick 26 is at best 50/50 for what could be a GOP. It's looking more like not happening unless North or someone else can put something much better than what seems to be the current offer together.

Dal must be umming and ahhring about North's prospects as well. Not sure even with the close loses that they are up to it yet.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Can't see that the deal for Dal in exchange for Delaney and 26 will get over the line and why should it. Delaney is around 24 and still can't get a regular spot so clearly he is not rated best 22 by his own club. Pick 26 is at best 50/50 for what could be a GOP. It's looking more like not happening unless North or someone else can put something much better than what seems to be the current offer together.

Yes Pelchen will want something better than that.

The arbitrage vale of Dal to North is very high. Nort + Dal = much better chance of playing finals & playing well in finals. They lack a player such as he.
So they should be willing to play overs for him.

If not, maybe we could engineer a deal with the Tigers for Martin.

Essendon may be interested, but I would hope that we are not stupid enough to swap for any player/s tat might cop 2 year drug bans.

Pies: Buckley is going a clean-out, and may be eying off a cleanskin like Dal. Their early finals exit may see them erring fora quick-fix.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
PJ wrote:Can't see that the deal for Dal in exchange for Delaney and 26 will get over the line and why should it. Delaney is around 24 and still can't get a regular spot so clearly he is not rated best 22 by his own club. Pick 26 is at best 50/50 for what could be a GOP. It's looking more like not happening unless North or someone else can put something much better than what seems to be the current offer together.

Yes Pelchen will want something better than that.

The arbitrage vale of Dal to North is very high. Nort + Dal = much better chance of playing finals & playing well in finals. They lack a player such as he.
So they should be willing to play overs for him.

If not, maybe we could engineer a deal with the Tigers for Martin.

Essendon may be interested, but I would hope that we are not stupid enough to swap for any player/s tat might cop 2 year drug bans.

Pies: Buckley is going a clean-out, and may be eying off a cleanskin like Dal. Their early finals exit may see them erring fora quick-fix.
I keep thinking of North last year and their dealings with Port for Jacobs and Suns for Hine. I really can't see them being reasonable or paying overs for Dal. If the pick is above 20, I'm not interested unless they are willing to give up a kid with lots of upside such as Bastinac or Atley (obviously wouldn't be a s/swap though). Remembering that any pick from the second round on will drop down by 3 or 4 spots after compo is handed out for the end of first rounders

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:If not, maybe we could engineer a deal with the Tigers for Martin.
Not sure our club would tell Fisher & Armo to stay away from Martin, and potentially trade Fisher in part due to a relationship with Martin, only to look to recruit Martin.

PJ
SS Life Member

Agree Doc

Martin is probably not the type of "character" we are looking for.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wed be crazy to go for.martin at this stage

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:If not, maybe we could engineer a deal with the Tigers for Martin.
Not sure our club would tell Fisher & Armo to stay away from Martin, and potentially trade Fisher in part due to a relationship with Martin, only to look to recruit Martin.
True, but if the Roos think we might, they may give us a better deal for Dal

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

If Dal goes I'd like the deal to include gaining Viv Mitchie.

Saints - Mitchie + Delaney + Norths second round pick
North - Dal Santo
Freo - Ledger + Saints third round pick

Effectively we swap Dal and Ledger for Mitchie and Delaney and upgrade our third round pick for a second rounder.

Seeing as we will likely upgrade Curren and bring in Bruce for Fisher we may only use three picks in the draft which could be picks 3, 21 and 26 (from North).

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Quite like that idea old mart.
Quite like it.
Maybe also swap Armo for Adams straight.
End up with picks 3 21 26 Adams Michie Bruce Delaney .

gringo
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
St Ick wrote:

I should state that I didn't obtain this information first-hand, but it is from someone that I know for a fact has a connection to the club. Whether or not their connection is in a position to know all the ins and the outs I'm not too sure. Wouldn't take what I have said here as 100% gospel, other than the fact that the club has genuine concerns about Fisher and Armitage's behaviour and who they spend time with outside the club.

Thought it was interesting information, so I passed it on.

Will be interesting to see what arrangement (if any) we come to with GWS.

We could see a combination involving any of Pick 1, Pick 3, Pick 9, Picks 20 & 22, Bruce, Adams, Fisher, Gilbert, Armitage, Gwilt, McEvoy, Patton, Kristen Jaksch.

Anything could happen! But most likely will end up with a fairly standard and dull trade.

I would think Jaksche would be untouchable. Only came last year and first rounder who can play both ends.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Quite like that idea old mart.
Quite like it.
Maybe also swap Armo for Adams straight.
End up with picks 3 21 26 Adams Michie Bruce Delaney .

Which team does Adams play for??
Is it GWS or the one from NM?