Seb Ross Rising Star

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross Rising Star

plugger66 wrote:
I pipe in because you come up with amazing things. Dermie always hated the Saints and will hate them even more more when SW is eventually sacked as most coaches are. I dont know Dermott at all but I have heard him on radio and TV for years. His best mate played for us and he used to laugh at how unprofessional we were when his mate played for us and it carried on for years. Dont you live in WA Con? And you see him Ackland St. What the hell does that matter? You are hilarious.

And you must be so proud you have Stinger on your side. Con all i can say is I spoke to Kosi the other day and was in the toilet with Blakey. Wow.
so dermott hates us cause he would laugh at how unprofessional were were in the era when he was playing .... umm pluggs that makes him a realist not a hater ... as a Hawthorn player with a big ego its fair to say Derm considered St Kilda as weaker rabble of a club cause we were doesnt mean he hates the club... we are a very very differant club today maybe just maybe over time Derm has developed a bit more respect for our club ... doubt he hated us

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I pipe in because you come up with amazing things. Dermie always hated the Saints and will hate them even more more when SW is eventually sacked as most coaches are. I dont know Dermott at all but I have heard him on radio and TV for years. His best mate played for us and he used to laugh at how unprofessional we were when his mate played for us and it carried on for years. Dont you live in WA Con? And you see him Ackland St. What the hell does that matter? You are hilarious.

And you must be so proud you have Stinger on your side. Con all i can say is I spoke to Kosi the other day and was in the toilet with Blakey. Wow.
so dermott hates us cause he would laugh at how unprofessional were were in the era when he was playing .... umm pluggs that makes him a realist not a hater ... as a Hawthorn player with a big ego its fair to say Derm considered St Kilda as weaker rabble of a club cause we were doesnt mean he hates the club... we are a very very differant club today maybe just maybe over time Derm has developed a bit more respect for our club ... doubt he hated us

Im telling you from hearing all the time that he couldnt stand us and that was until SW joined us last year. Even under RL he would mention the past for no apparent reason. Looks like we will have to wait for SW to go to see who is right. Even today he knocked the club in the RL era saying we played 150-200K more than the Hawks for the same sort of player. I would love to know who Dermie knows what we played our players. Either SW told him which would be disgusting and he would lose my respect or more than likely knowing the crap Dermie can talk to prove a point, he made it up. Again just a reason to have a go at our club even when we were just about the best side.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Im telling you from hearing all the time that he couldnt stand us and that was until SW joined us last year. Even under RL he would mention the past for no apparent reason. Looks like we will have to wait for SW to go to see who is right. Even today he knocked the club in the RL era saying we played 150-200K more than the Hawks for the same sort of player. I would love to know who Dermie knows what we played our players. Either SW told him which would be disgusting and he would lose my respect or more than likely knowing the crap Dermie can talk to prove a point, he made it up. Again just a reason to have a go at our club even when we were just about the best side.
Had a go at us for getting Kosi to 200 games as well, saying only loser clubs do that.
Conveniently forgot the Hawks have done the same multiple times in the last 25 years or so....

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

there are still people rooted to the past who believe that there is a natural order of football clubs ie that some deserve to be respected and successful and some don't deserve respect or success. Unfortunately for many people, St Kilda fall into the latter category - largely because for a good part of the 70's and 80's we were a basket case on and off the field. These people are often vocal, tell everyone their opinion, and will do everything in their power to prove their opinion correct.People like this will go around saying that we will never win a flag - and until we do, their ego's will tell them that their opinion of us is correct. ITs the cross we bare. It can change, however there will only be generational change in opinion when we have a sustained period of premierships.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

OK - glad thats settled.

So is Seb Ross going to be good for us or is he going to be another Mark McGough?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:OK - glad thats settled.

So is Seb Ross going to be good for us or is he going to be another Mark McGough?
he's going to be a very fine footballer

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Kickit
Club Player

Zed wrote:there are still people rooted to the past who believe that there is a natural order of football clubs ie that some deserve to be respected and successful and some don't deserve respect or success. Unfortunately for many people, St Kilda fall into the latter category - largely because for a good part of the 70's and 80's we were a basket case on and off the field. These people are often vocal, tell everyone their opinion, and will do everything in their power to prove their opinion correct.People like this will go around saying that we will never win a flag - and until we do, their ego's will tell them that their opinion of us is correct. ITs the cross we bare. It can change, however there will only be generational change in opinion when we have a sustained period of premierships.
At the start of the Century we loaded up with starpower. Riewoldt, Kosi, DalSanto, Goddard, Hayes, Hammil, Gehrig, Harvey.

BUT
By the time we challenged for the flag properly the big stars were just Riewoldt , DalSanto, Hayes and Goddard. ( Kosi becoming an OK forward at best ).
The others, Montagna, Fisher, Milne , even Gwilt, Gilbert, and Jones were later draft picks. Others were trades that had worked out pretty well.
4 STARS. You don't need a dozen early draft picks.

We are close to having a solid backbone of players right now.
Lee, McEvoy, Hickey, Gilbert , Armitage, Gwilt, Steven, Curren, Roberton, Geary, Ray That's 11 of a 22.
Newnes , Wright, and Ross look like they will get there.
If we can grab a couple of really good players from a couple of good drafts, and a decent full back, then have 7 or so of
White, Sippos, Markworth, Minchington, Saunders, Webster, Dunell, Milera and new draftee's from this year, get to the next level, we can avoid a decade of pain.

Sydney are not challenging for the flag every year, neither are Hawthorn. But they are in a position that when things go right and they get the smell of blood and go for it.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote: so dermott hates us cause he would laugh at how unprofessional were were in the era when he was playing .... umm pluggs that makes him a realist not a hater ... as a Hawthorn player with a big ego its fair to say Derm considered St Kilda as weaker rabble of a club cause we were doesnt mean he hates the club... we are a very very differant club today maybe just maybe over time Derm has developed a bit more respect for our club ... doubt he hated us

or more to the point he might have heard Chris Pelchen talk ... Pelch has no issue stating that when he first came to the club his first job was to fix the train wreck that was our SC ... Pelch mentions how shocked he was to come to St Kilda and see how the spread of the cap was how 6 players made up over 30% (cant remember totally if it was 30 or 40 %) of the total cap at Hawthorn the spread was much more even so its fair to say yeah we were in the Ross Lyon era paying $200K more for the same type of player hawthorn had ... thats part of the reason why Goddard had to go

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Ox said 40% of the cap was paid to them.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Actually on Seb Ross I think he had a couple of outstanding games this season. He surprised me that he got as good as he did. I think we might have found a player. Webster was obviously doing the right things. we have some good youth in place IMO. Wrighty looks the goods and we haven't even seen White or Markworth yet.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

One issue with Seb, I've never seen him smile. I've actually seen Dempster smile, sort of.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:One issue with Seb, I've never seen him smile. I've actually seen Dempster smile, sort of.

AND?!?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Rosco
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Munga wrote:One issue with Seb, I've never seen him smile. I've actually seen Dempster smile, sort of.

AND?!?

means he's never going to hawthorn. they're a happy team.

creepypolar
Club Player

Rosco wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

AND?!?

means he's never going to hawthorn. they're a happy team.
Funny you mention the Hawks. IIRC he used to barrack for thrm

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote: so dermott hates us cause he would laugh at how unprofessional were were in the era when he was playing .... umm pluggs that makes him a realist not a hater ... as a Hawthorn player with a big ego its fair to say Derm considered St Kilda as weaker rabble of a club cause we were doesnt mean he hates the club... we are a very very differant club today maybe just maybe over time Derm has developed a bit more respect for our club ... doubt he hated us

or more to the point he might have heard Chris Pelchen talk ... Pelch has no issue stating that when he first came to the club his first job was to fix the train wreck that was our SC ... Pelch mentions how shocked he was to come to St Kilda and see how the spread of the cap was how 6 players made up over 30% (cant remember totally if it was 30 or 40 %) of the total cap at Hawthorn the spread was much more even so its fair to say yeah we were in the Ross Lyon era paying $200K more for the same type of player hawthorn had ... thats part of the reason why Goddard had to go

I heard what he said and it didnt sound at all like it was publicknowledge. It was either made up to have a go at the club or SW told him. He wasnt talking high end players IMO more the middle type players.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Eastern wrote:I note that Daniel Markworth never gets a mention when people talk about our crop of youngsters. I suppose, out of sight-out of mind. If I remember correctly he was very highly regarded before he did his knee. Let's hope he used the Lenny Hayes template on how to recover/rehab from a knee reco !!
Good Call this one you forget about Markworth don't ya! Hope he comes back in good shape from the knee!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
rexy
SS Life Member

I have heard Dermott state that we are losers and won't win anything and that when we are going well he feels that it is "incorrect" or shouldn't be. Don't see it as a personal hatred though!
More just his take on how things are meant to be, based on his playing era.

It's always easier to be nice to a team when they are struggling!

We were many peoples second team in the 80s, no threat!

Maybe this year?
PJ
SS Life Member

Not really sure what to make of Seb's progress so far. Don't think he has had the same impact as Curran but he's still young.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Not really sure what to make of Seb's progress so far. Don't think he has had the same impact as Curran but he's still young.

It's really hard to compare players but Curren was getting around 20 possessions on average i imagine but he is a seasoned VFL player already. Ross has managed a few 20 plus games now but is now looking more at home. They both look pretty good to me.

PJ
SS Life Member

Next season should give us a better idea of where he is at - 3rd season in there should be some consistent signs of his development level and potential

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Nicky Winmar speaks highly of Dermie. :roll:

Interesting player Markworth

Very raw, has athletic tools