Trade with the bombers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade with the bombers

SPECULATION guys,

If you believe all the SPECULATION over the next 3-4 weeks, you'll do your head in !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
8856brother wrote:Interesting isn't it. I just went over to Bomberblitz and they are all horrified by the possibility.
Pears is a pick 23 & Myers a pick 6!
Both 23/24yo
So on paper a massive win for us. Myers is highly rated by Bombers fans. Pears out of favour with Turdy but is a decent player and only 23.
But if they get infractions it becomes a massive loss!
Richard Tambling was pick 4…

Let's be honest Myers has not lived up to his draft ranking, he'll be 25 next year so should already be hitting his peak. Why would Essendon get rid of Myers for Dal if Myers is any good? Cause he's a spud, that's why.

Pears is just another small pretend key defender… who can't get a game for another average side.

Jees I hope this rumour isn't true, if Dal goes I want a good pick not a GOP.

No trading with filthy, filthy, lying drug cheats.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Well said Dragit

Pears does nothing for me at all - at that size let Simpling do his job

Nothing trade hope its crap

“Yeah….nah””
Kickit
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
8856brother wrote:Interesting isn't it. I just went over to Bomberblitz and they are all horrified by the possibility.
Pears is a pick 23 & Myers a pick 6!
Both 23/24yo
So on paper a massive win for us. Myers is highly rated by Bombers fans. Pears out of favour with Turdy but is a decent player and only 23.
But if they get infractions it becomes a massive loss!
Richard Tambling was pick 4…

Let's be honest Myers has not lived up to his draft ranking, he'll be 25 next year so should already be hitting his peak. Why would Essendon get rid of Myers for Dal if Myers is any good? Cause he's a spud, that's why.

Pears is just another small pretend key defender… who can't get a game for another average side.

Jees I hope this rumour isn't true, if Dal goes I want a good pick not a GOP.

No trading with filthy, filthy, lying drug cheats.
An early draft pick gives you a guy who is almost certainly going to be a decent player, and half a chance of being a gun.
If you trade for the decent player you have no chance of getting a gun.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Pears has looked okay in the past but seems injury prone. Myers has been getting better statistically. It is probably a win if it's Dal for the two of them but a dud deal if it's 21 as well. Both would help in 3 or 4 years when the senior core is long gone and they will be seniors with Gears, Steven, Armo and Big Mac.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Comparing Myres and Pears is like comparing apples to oranges :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Don't see the point of this trade, Pears is not much better than Simpkin for mine.

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Reports on Saints BF board has Dal Santo to Essendon for end of first round pick - no trade involved.

FQF
SS Life Member

BelfastSaint wrote:Reports on Saints BF board has Dal Santo to Essendon for end of first round pick - no trade involved.
Well that's clearly crap because no compensation could be known yet, and if we sign any free agents, that will also change the compensation.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
BelfastSaint wrote:Reports on Saints BF board has Dal Santo to Essendon for end of first round pick - no trade involved.
Well that's clearly crap because no compensation could be known yet, and if we sign any free agents, that will also change the compensation.
AFAIK, Dal's contract extension has been activated so he won't be going anywhere as a free agent.

If a trade to E'dope was proposed, what would happen if Dal said he's not interested in going there? Legal eagles have already offered the AFLPA advice that, in light of the governance failings already exposed, players could refuse to go there under the tripartite nature of player contracts. Advice has also been given that unless ASADA proclaim all is done BEFORE any proposed trade is contemplated then any player could refuse to go to E'dope.

I just do not get why anyone would be contemplating trading with them - there's too much risk.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I think members will tolerate Dal going to any clubs other than Essendon or Collingwood, otherwise the club with have a membership lash back on their hands !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: I just do not get why anyone would be contemplating trading with them - there's too much risk.
In view of the compexities surrounding the Essendon situation, perhaps we've appointed an expert such as Gerard Whately to help us navigate through this potential minefield :P

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote: I just do not get why anyone would be contemplating trading with them - there's too much risk.
In view of the compexities surrounding the Essendon situation, perhaps we've appointed an expert such as Gerard Whately to help us navigate through this potential minefield :P
Whateley should be tested in a minefield like the 1 set up by the Lobos in last night's "Sons of Anarchy" episode.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Early draft picks and aging top-liners at the Saints, make this year both a mouth-watering and nervous trade period.

We can't afford to make mistakes, as in the past. We need top players, not"good average" players in the mid age group. Essendon is not a Club that we should be trading with at the moment - too risky, unless BJ wants to come back on less money !!

I will hate to see us moving on the likes of Dal and Sam in particular. The Club builds its history around these players, but clearly, times, they are a-changing. When history goes out the window, inevitably, so do "bolted on" supporters. If Clubs do not have regular good years, the supporter bases across the system will begin to fold.

defacto
Club Player

FQF wrote:
we knew what beejs compo pick was going to be before we chose not to match the offer

its in the AFLs interest to see some of our older players go to other clubs in the interest of equalisation and our rebuild

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
FQF wrote:
we knew what beejs compo pick was going to be before we chose not to match the offer

its in the AFLs interest to see some of our older players go to other clubs in the interest of equalisation and our rebuild
No compo as Dal Santo not a FA.

Essendon would have to trade someone out for a 1st rounder then swap it for Dal Santo.

Conidering they have to trade into the draft, cant see that occuring.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Richter
SS Life Member

Myers is a big bodied mid who can help to give our midfield some grunt when Lenny, Dal and CJ leave, without expecting the young guys to come in too early and be physical first up.

Pears could be a younger version of Gilbert (4 years younger) who can still be around when we next contend, which the likes of Dempster, Gilbert and Gwilt probably won't be.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:Myers is a big bodied mid who can help to give our midfield some grunt when Lenny, Dal and CJ leave, without expecting the young guys to come in too early and be physical first up.

Pears could be a younger version of Gilbert (4 years younger) who can still be around when we next contend, which the likes of Dempster, Gilbert and Gwilt probably won't be.
By then we should have a St.kilda VFL side up and running, so yes, hopefully those 2 would add to us winning a VFL flag...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dal would/could ..be a 300 game player for us and an all time great......no thanks.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
spert
Saintsational Legend

The Brownlow voting summed up where NDS is at- hardly troubled the votes, and for a guy of his skills and experience, should have done a lot more this season and just cruised through games. We had another older player in Monty giving his all this season and there was no reason for NDS not to do similar. I say thanks for your contribution, but time to go elsewhere.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:The Brownlow voting summed up where NDS is at- hardly troubled the votes, and for a guy of his skills and experience, should have done a lot more this season and just cruised through games. We had another older player in Monty giving his all this season and there was no reason for NDS not to do similar. I say thanks for your contribution, but time to go elsewhere.

So you obviouslky dont want lenny to play next season either. Dal had an average year. maybe he is finished, maybe he doesnt care but to base it on brownlow votes is a bit harsh.Anyway I pretty certain you will get your wish and he will go.

Pleasing
Club Player

It is in both Dal Santo's and St Kildas and Essendon or North or whoevers interest to use the Free Agency option.

My reading of his contractural situation is that he has satisfied the clauses in the contract to enable the optional year to be triggered however that contract extension has yet to be lodged with the AFL and may not be if St Kilda and Dal by mutual agreement wish to go down the Free Agency path. If either party decide they want to trigger the contract then it is triggered and he will stay a Saint. So in any discussions with other clubs Saints and Dal hold the whip hand as opposed to the BJ situation where he could play both sides off against each other.

This Scenario sees
Dal Santo garaunteed big money and at least 3 years - thanks to the end of round 1 compensation requirements Saints will demand to let him go.
Saints get end of round 1 compo pick they want plus the ability to use the lure of Free Agency as leverage in trade for Delany or Myers or Pears or whoever
Ess Nth Whoever gets Dal for free (as long as they have the cap space) and possibly agreeing to a lop sided trade for Delany or Myers or Pears or whoever to sweeten the deal for the Saints

Ultimately it is every other club that pays the price for this by moving one spot further down the draft order from the second round on.

If this happens mind you the AFL will kill the compo picks dead before the next years trade period. We should make sure we benefit from this quirk in the free agency rules while it lasts.

Let me in
spert
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:The Brownlow voting summed up where NDS is at- hardly troubled the votes, and for a guy of his skills and experience, should have done a lot more this season and just cruised through games. We had another older player in Monty giving his all this season and there was no reason for NDS not to do similar. I say thanks for your contribution, but time to go elsewhere.

So you obviouslky dont want lenny to play next season either. Dal had an average year. maybe he is finished, maybe he doesnt care but to base it on brownlow votes is a bit harsh.Anyway I pretty certain you will get your wish and he will go.
I would love to hold on to all former Saints players and make them play forever just for a warm and fuzzy feeling..sorry, but this club needs success and needs to go forward quickly and whatever it takes is what's required. I respect the work of NDS for us over the 2000s, but his best is long gone and if we're going to compete with the best, we need to start developing a new midfield and not hold on to past glories.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Absolute bulls***

The bloke had a decent year however copped the hard tag almost every game

Compare this to Joey who just run around the entire time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I would love to hold on to all former Saints players and make them play forever just for a warm and fuzzy feeling..sorry, but this club needs success and needs to go forward quickly and whatever it takes is what's required. I respect the work of NDS for us over the 2000s, but his best is long gone and if we're going to compete with the best, we need to start developing a new midfield and not hold on to past glories.

So lets get rid of Joey, Rooy and anyone else on the downhill slide.