Why can't I hate Ross Lyon?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints43
Club Player

Re: Why can't I hate Ross Lyon?

Simmo2 wrote:Try as I might.... I can't hate him.
If at first you don't succeed...

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Although I’d love the Saints to be in the Grand Final, that would only be if it was at the expense of Freo and not the Hawks.

Imagine if Ross and Freo both won their first premiership and we were the defeated team!

That would test most of us regardless of our feelings toward the old coach :shock:
So if Freo won a Prelim on a Friday and we were playing on the Saturday, you would want us to lose? That seems a bit extreme.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Although I’d love the Saints to be in the Grand Final, that would only be if it was at the expense of Freo and not the Hawks.

Imagine if Ross and Freo both won their first premiership and we were the defeated team!

That would test most of us regardless of our feelings toward the old coach :shock:
So if Freo won a Prelim on a Friday and we were playing on the Saturday, you would want us to lose? That seems a bit extreme.
That's a bit of a twist.

Let's just say I'm glad we're not staring down the barrel at such a prospect tomorrow. I mean, if the general football public think we're losers now imagine how they'd carry on if we got beaten in a GF by our old coach.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:

That's a bit of a twist.

Let's just say I'm glad we're not staring down the barrel at such a prospect tomorrow. I mean, if the general football public think we're losers now imagine how they'd carry on if we got beaten in a GF by our old coach.
I'd love it if we were playing tomorrow against anyone. A Grand Final is a Grand Final, losing to anyone would be devastating.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: I'd love it if we were playing tomorrow against anyone. A Grand Final is a Grand Final, losing to anyone would be devastating.
I think if we were playing tomorrow we could just about guarantee a loss :P

noddy
Club Player

stinger wrote:

Infact this week has made me sentimental and I hope Freo do what we couldn't.

For a week... I'm a Docker
here are some of my reasons...they may help...

1. luke ball

2. playing that girl zac dawson in front of maxie in the 2009 grannie......what was he thinking.????...dawson had been in hospital on a drip all day..

3. ball playing for the filth in the 2010 grannie cost us the flag. ...maxie's input to the filth on our game plan didn't help either.....both desertions were directly caused by lyon

4. abusing the players and support staff immediately following the drawn grannie...no wonder the players were down in the replay.....

5. deserting us for the money after"retiring" three of the players.

6. destroying our list and our future by not recruiting or playing young players.....

....i could go on...but you get he idea....

Not to mention Andrew Lovett, Luke Ball, and the general fact that he's a back-stabbing liar.

Image In Richo we trust.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

noddy wrote:
stinger wrote:

Infact this week has made me sentimental and I hope Freo do what we couldn't.

For a week... I'm a Docker
here are some of my reasons...they may help...

1. luke ball

2. playing that girl zac dawson in front of maxie in the 2009 grannie......what was he thinking.????...dawson had been in hospital on a drip all day..

3. ball playing for the filth in the 2010 grannie cost us the flag. ...maxie's input to the filth on our game plan didn't help either.....both desertions were directly caused by lyon

4. abusing the players and support staff immediately following the drawn grannie...no wonder the players were down in the replay.....

5. deserting us for the money after"retiring" three of the players.

6. destroying our list and our future by not recruiting or playing young players.....

....i could go on...but you get he idea....

Not to mention Andrew Lovett, Luke Ball, and the general fact that he's a back-stabbing liar.

three more and i have an even dozen... :wink: :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

stinger
Saintsational Legend

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ps.........an extract from that article....

"Lyon is the Douglas Jardine – the England Bodyline captain – of Australian football. He operates within the rules, but against the spirit of the game, and with that Essendon-style theme of "win at all costs".

The Lyon experiment failed at St Kilda. Why? Because if you turn the game into trench warfare you can win or lose by inches. Because the infamous "bubble", insulating players from the world around them, may have led to recurrent bad behaviour."

noddy
Club Player

Image In Richo we trust.
SAAD
Club Player

He left us in the lurch and has sent the club backwards by 5 years...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SAAD wrote:He left us in the lurch and has sent the club backwards by 5 years...
that he did mate...that he did.......

noddy
Club Player

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl ... 2nt9l.html

"(Blake McGrath was) told he would be given three or four years to develop, he soon discovered the AFL system wrestles with the idea of a slow burn. At a Gold Coast camp in late 2008, days after arriving at the club, he "got mauled by pretty much every bloke on the track".

He worked mainly with development coach Danny Sexton, and felt himself improve with every session. He remembers speaking rarely to then coach Ross Lyon, "mainly when I was in trouble".

Putting on weight ran counter to all the running, so he was sent home in the off-season on a program to bulk up.

The first day back was a four-kilometre time trial. "I thought, 's***!"' says McGrath, who'd stuck religiously to his program, which did not feature running. He beat only one player home — infamously, recruit Andrew Lovett.

"I got pulled out in front of the group, told how embarrassing it was," he says, wishing he had had the courage to say he had just been following orders. A senior player quizzed him later, and the next day Lyon called him out of the weights room and apologised. Nick Riewoldt told him, "You've gotta take that — Rossy never apologises to anyone!"

As the second season ground on he felt like he was in a subgroup, with others who were on the way out.

The phone call came the day after the 2010 best and fairest, a summons to a meeting where he was told he had made progress but, sorry, not enough. He was numb for hours, then shook himself and moved on. "That's sport, I've seen it happen before. I still love the Saints now, I've got nothing against them."

The underlined text speaks volumes about RL as a coach and is echoed by a lot of young players that were under his reign.

Image In Richo we trust.
noddy
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
noddy wrote:
Any Saints fan who wants Freo to win necessarily wants:

A) To reinforce the belief that St Kilda is incapable of winning a flag and you're better off leaving the club if you want success (like the long, long list of people who have already done).
B) To reinforce the belief that what the Saints did in the 09/10 seasons was entirely thanks to Lyon and not the team.
C) To have a whiny, unethical, artificial expansion club who poached a contracted coach and benefited from Sirengate and Whispers in the Sky to be vindicated.
D) To have even more ammunition to throw at us as a 20yo club catches up to a 140yo club.

Any Saints fan who supports Ross is necessarily supporting the guy who:

A) Did great damage to our club by not developing players out of preference for guys like Peake and Polo.
B) Did great damage to our club by mismanaging players (why do you think Ball left?).
C) Did great damage to our club by setting up a media bubble that negatively affected the club's ability to market itself.
D) Did great damage to our club by influencing bad recruiting.
E) Has an enthusiasm-killing, footy-phobic game plan that caused people to hate our club.
F) Is a general asshole.
SAINTSATIONAL FAN FORUM RULES wrote: There will be zero tolerance for baiting, belittling, badgering, bullying or any insulting, abusive behavior...
GO HAWKS

What a lot of crap. But go with it if it makes you feel better. Go Freo.
Sorry, I don't care what this forum's equivalent of the town drunk thinks about my opinion. Go Hawks.
kp83 wrote:Perhaps the worst post of the year...
no u

Image In Richo we trust.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i personally thought it was a great post noddy.......great post.... :wink: :wink: :wink:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Who is Stephen Alomes? He sounds a bit sanctimonious.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Greg T
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
noddy wrote:

Any Saints fan who wants Freo to win necessarily wants:

A) To reinforce the belief that St Kilda is incapable of winning a flag and you're better off leaving the club if you want success (like the long, long list of people who have already done).
B) To reinforce the belief that what the Saints did in the 09/10 seasons was entirely thanks to Lyon and not the team.
C) To have a whiny, unethical, artificial expansion club who poached a contracted coach and benefited from Sirengate and Whispers in the Sky to be vindicated.
D) To have even more ammunition to throw at us as a 20yo club catches up to a 140yo club.

Any Saints fan who supports Ross is necessarily supporting the guy who:

A) Did great damage to our club by not developing players out of preference for guys like Peake and Polo.
B) Did great damage to our club by mismanaging players (why do you think Ball left?).
C) Did great damage to our club by setting up a media bubble that negatively affected the club's ability to market itself.
D) Did great damage to our club by influencing bad recruiting.
E) Has an enthusiasm-killing, footy-phobic game plan that caused people to hate our club.
F) Is a general asshole.

Absolutely worse post of the year...
Clarkson to west coast,buddy to Gws , hawthorn out of the eight ,scumbag club.....can't believe anyone would back them ..

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Only the football Nimbats who cant distinguish between real life and football, the ones who take footy way to seriously think Ross is such a bad bloke. Ross was clearly loved by majority of out players, the man can coach and I wish he was still at the club.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
noddy
Club Player

clarky449 wrote: Ross was clearly loved by majority of out players
Not according to Luke Ball, David Armitage, and a dozen other players who were motivated to leave due to Lyon's player management. The young players were disillusioned with him. You would be two if you weren't given a fair go or any reward for your efforts while guys like Peake and Polo were cemented in the 22. He also shamelessly had his group of favorites and you were out of luck if you weren't in it.

clarky449 wrote: I wish he was still at the club.
Then you are truly deluded as he more than anyone else is responsible for where we are now. In 3-4 years Freo will look like us 2 years ago.

Image In Richo we trust.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:ps.........an extract from that article....

"Lyon is the Douglas Jardine – the England Bodyline captain – of Australian football. He operates within the rules, but against the spirit of the game, and with that Essendon-style theme of "win at all costs".

The Lyon experiment failed at St Kilda. Why? Because if you turn the game into trench warfare you can win or lose by inches. Because the infamous "bubble", insulating players from the world around them, may have led to recurrent bad behaviour."

That article maybe the dumbest article ever written and anyone agreeing with it just doesnt understand the game. Lyon is a great coach and was great for the Saints. His time was up and now he is great for Freo.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

noddy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What a lot of crap. But go with it if it makes you feel better. Go Freo.
Sorry, I don't care what this forum's equivalent of the town drunk thinks about my opinion. Go Hawks.
kp83 wrote:Perhaps the worst post of the year...
no u

Better to be the town drunk and understand the game than someone who seriously has no idea. At least Stinger agrees with you. That fills me with confidence that you dont have a clue.