Was Dermi right about Watters?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

supersaints
Club Player

Was Dermi right about Watters?

From the outside Watters seemed to have little clue into selection and promotion of the younger players with most thinking that he would be delisting players that got few games or games very late in the season.
Could it be that he had already identified early in 2013, which young players were going to be promoted or given a crack in 2014?
Could he have given certain players a tick early in the year but decided areas of their game that needed work could be better fast tracked at VFL level ready for a big pre season next year with a view to a lot of senior games?

Is it possible that the three small forwards that drove us crazy was to identify one who would be taking over Milnes spot and that he was willing to give them more chances than appeared appropriate?

Could it be that he had to give seemingly fringe players like Ray and Joned more games n they appear to deserve to see if they could step up the percentage required to hold down a spot?

Whilst I am no fan of Dermie, he does have footy smarts if he thinks Watters is just about the best judge of young players potential,
Could it be that he identified the talent early , ticked off those that will make a big step in 2014, put the cue in the rack until this years draft?

It could be that Watters knows what exactly what he is doing (at least player development wise), or it could be that Dermie is a complete flog and has no idea?

I hope Dermie is right... There seems little sense into who was getting games and who was being promoted when and were unless Watters is everything Dermie claims
Well that's my dream , hope it doesn't turn into a nightmare!
I guess the final players list will tell us something?

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Re: Was Dermi right about Watters?

Take what Dermott says with a liberal sprinkling of salt. He's a stubborn SOB and is painfully predictable in his commentary, analysis and tipping. I remember him saying St Kilda wouldn't win the 2009 flag beacause they're St Kilda, blah blah blah. Hopefully he's right about Watters but don't take Brereton too seriously.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:From the outside Watters seemed to have little clue into selection and promotion of the younger players with most thinking that he would be delisting players that got few games or games very late in the season.
Could it be that he had already identified early in 2013, which young players were going to be promoted or given a crack in 2014?
Could he have given certain players a tick early in the year but decided areas of their game that needed work could be better fast tracked at VFL level ready for a big pre season next year with a view to a lot of senior games?

Is it possible that the three small forwards that drove us crazy was to identify one who would be taking over Milnes spot and that he was willing to give them more chances than appeared appropriate?

Could it be that he had to give seemingly fringe players like Ray and Joned more games n they appear to deserve to see if they could step up the percentage required to hold down a spot?

Whilst I am no fan of Dermie, he does have footy smarts if he thinks Watters is just about the best judge of young players potential,
Could it be that he identified the talent early , ticked off those that will make a big step in 2014, put the cue in the rack until this years draft?

It could be that Watters knows what exactly what he is doing (at least player development wise), or it could be that Dermie is a complete flog and has no idea?

I hope Dermie is right... There seems little sense into who was getting games and who was being promoted when and were unless Watters is everything Dermie claims
Probably too difficult for a fan forum to grasp :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

My interpretation of how things have panned out is that Watters was a little bit surprised how much St Kilda dropped off in the second half of the year and finishing third last. Watters spoke a lot when he first started about wanting to keep a competitive culture and a couple of the bad losses this year spooked him. Keeping Ray, Jones, Maister is evidence they want mature cannon fodder out there that will be respectable while they nurse the babies to some sort of competitive level. They've realised now this is a rebuild that will take some time.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:From the outside Watters seemed to have little clue into selection and promotion of the younger players with most thinking that he would be delisting players that got few games or games very late in the season.

I don't know what Derm said, but I've thought about all of that this year and agree.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dermitt and Watters are mates.
The end.

“Yeah….nah””
kalsaint
Club Player

Little Dozer wrote:Take what Dermott says with a liberal sprinkling of salt. He's a stubborn SOB and is painfully predictable in his commentary, analysis and tipping. I remember him saying St Kilda wouldn't win the 2009 flag beacause they're St Kilda, blah blah blah. Hopefully he's right about Watters but don't take Brereton too seriously.
Interesting comment given that Demie actually selected the Saints to win that GF.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Can you guys NOT quote an entire post.
Why not delete most of the text, leave the first & last sentences, but in between, put in......
We don't need to read the same post 3 times in a page :twisted:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

supersaints wrote:From the outside Watters seemed to have little clue into selection and promotion of the younger players with most thinking that he would be delisting...

A lot of you re-post a huge post like this OP, and add one line like
"I agree" :shock: :roll:
unbelievable.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think after watching the Hawks set up a grand final win based around precise disposal that Ledger and a few others were let go because Pelchen is very uncompromising in the qualities he sees in the players he wants. I think they were happy to remain competitive but as soon as the finals were gone they went hard on ramming games into youth.

I heard Ben Allen talk about how in 2006 Freo finished in the top three but realised with the oldest list in the comp it wasn't going any further. They set about a rebuild and the comparison with us was pretty striking.

the good thing about the Hawks is their ability to bring in elite talent to compliment there current list because the players aren't greedy.

suss
Club Player

I wonder what the Eagles think of Watters ... I'm sure he's on their radar.

For me, I think he's making all the right moves so far given there's only so much he can do with a decaying list. And this player discontent issue seems consistent with a guy taking a brutal attitude to rebuilding the list. Nothing wrong with that.

I just hope that Pelchen and Watters are getting along. That's the relationship that must work. What Sam Fisher et al may think is of no consequence to me.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:Take what Dermott says with a liberal sprinkling of salt. He's a stubborn SOB and is painfully predictable in his commentary, analysis and tipping. I remember him saying St Kilda wouldn't win the 2009 flag beacause they're St Kilda, blah blah blah. Hopefully he's right about Watters but don't take Brereton too seriously.
Hah! And I remember him on the television scoreboard at half time of that Grand Final saying that we would go on and win. Brereton is nothing but talk and a walking vanity project. f*** him!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Richter
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote:
supersaints wrote:From the outside Watters seemed to have little clue into selection and promotion of the younger players with most thinking that he would be delisting...

unbelievable.
+1

Annoying isn't it?

:evil:

:wink:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Don't be surprised to see Dermie in a part time role with the Saints next year. He and Scott are as thick as thieves.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Don't be surprised to see Dermie in a part time role with the Saints next year. He and Scott are as thick as thieves.
I highly doubt it. He'd turn his nose straight up at our club. And I hope he does just that. Anyway, how could he assist us in anyway?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Don't be surprised to see Dermie in a part time role with the Saints next year. He and Scott are as thick as thieves.
I highly doubt it. He'd turn his nose straight up at our club. And I hope he does just that. Anyway, how could he assist us in anyway?
I would take him as. Forward coach any day

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:

unbelievable.
Right

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.