We have lost our identity

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: We have lost our identity

SemperFidelis wrote:
There is a real soul at St Kilda. We saw it in round 23, on and off the field. We need a new strategy to harness it. Fast.

ABSOFARKINGLUTELY!!!!!!!

I thought the same thing whenever we debated the issue of giving Kosi his 200th game. I totally disagreed with not giving him his 200th game and I totally disagree with the argument that there can't be any room for sentiment and romance in the game. If we were pushing for a finals spot or a flag then I'd say sure, pick with the brain but we weren't and so we had an opportunity to play for something else that is very missing in clubs at the AFL level.

The game had lost the plot in this regard long before 2013 but this season and all of the controversy it provided completely stripped the game and it's people of some very important and soul enjoying qualities.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think we should move to the Junction oval and develop it like the tigers have to be a show piece to have players training in a high profile spot. It's great seeing the Pies and Tigers training meters from where you pass in your car and even for non fans is really good to see. Junction could be a great promo for the club and embrace the original suburb we come from. We would have around 600 cafes in a few meters. There is a cafe near me where heaps of our players go anyway and they could walk there. Never get another complaint from them.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

My early years following the Saints were at the Junction oval. When we moved to Moorabbin I felt like a lot of the current fans do about Seaford. Moorabin seemed so far from anything. But after a couple of seasons Moorabin felt like home, but we were playing our games there, that helped to make it acceptable as home. That is the huge disadvantage that Seaford has, it is only a training ground.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Time does march on.. but we used to be based at Junction Oval in StK, then at Moorabbin and played games there for years, and fans used to go to the grounds to watch the Saints play, soak up the atmosphere, meet others, share our highs and lows depending on how the team performed- this is the scenario where identity is forged, not at a training facility in an outer suburb.

The best bet would be to do some kind of deal via the AFL to base the Saints at Etihad, play our games there, train there, market and brand the whole thing smartly and ramp up membership, put on lots of community events etc etc. People will soon see that as the Saints home and begin to identify with it. It pays to be close to the centre of things such as business, media etc..which can raise your profile and attract potential supporters and sponsors. In this age of the short attention span, the club needs to be really putting itself in front of the public- in a good way!

johng
Club Player

Nothing wrong with setting up at seaford ! Hawthorn have set up base at waverly park for fr##$in sake.

Grrrrr
Club Player

gringo wrote:I think we should move to the Junction oval and develop it like the tigers have to be a show piece to have players training in a high profile spot. It's great seeing the Pies and Tigers training meters from where you pass in your car and even for non fans is really good to see. Junction could be a great promo for the club and embrace the original suburb we come from. We would have around 600 cafes in a few meters. There is a cafe near me where heaps of our players go anyway and they could walk there. Never get another complaint from them.
What a favourable outcome that would be but, alas, Cricket Victoria are redeveloping Junction Oval for primarily their use as I understand it.
This is where the real St Kilda soul is, Junction Oval.

johng
Club Player

success success success is what will save us ! we could train and rehab on the moon and it would'nt mattter
It all starts at the top.Everyone thinks that they can do it better and we never have stable boards.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Grrrrr wrote:
gringo wrote:I think we should move to the Junction oval and develop it like the tigers have to be a show piece to have players training in a high profile spot. It's great seeing the Pies and Tigers training meters from where you pass in your car and even for non fans is really good to see. Junction could be a great promo for the club and embrace the original suburb we come from. We would have around 600 cafes in a few meters. There is a cafe near me where heaps of our players go anyway and they could walk there. Never get another complaint from them.
What a favourable outcome that would be but, alas, Cricket Victoria are redeveloping Junction Oval for primarily their use as I understand it.
What the proponents of Junction Oval forget is that one of the reasons, amongst others, was that the national competition was instigated because it was recognised that there were too many clubs/grounds located within a 20km radius of the Melbourne CBD thus providing too small-a-market and that is when the rationalisation process began and can anyone really see the Saints being able to compete back in that geographical zone with all of the other power clubs based in that area. Seaford makes sense to me, we just have to be patient and weight for the new generation to bond with the place which should be complete in about 5-10 years.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

johng wrote:success success success is what will save us ! we could train and rehab on the moon and it would'nt mattter
It all starts at the top.Everyone thinks that they can do it better and we never have stable boards.
Boards have been pretty stable since Westaway took over?

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:131k in frankston shire
150k in mornington pen shire

Who really "owns" that belt?

this.

there is a real opportunity to grow a massive support base in this area as it is a real growth belt and a lot of immigrants are moving there who do not naturally have a team.

I am actually not opposed to the seaford move and any player that isnt happy (if that is true) should suck it up. We dont hear about unhappy geelong players - the drive to seaford is no different.

#1 Ryder fan
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I live on the peninsula and compared to the Casey and Western region.... It's very developed.... Expensive and the footy culture is set... Comparatively few migrants settle here...

Schools are white and blonde in contrast to say, dandenong or cranbourne or Caroline springs...

If anything we will have negative growth given lack of success, new teams and other sports...

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

What a load of cr@p... the move to Seaford has nothing to do with a drop in membership or a loss of identity! Just take a look at Hawthorn who moved from their spiritual home at Glenferrie to a soulless, wet windy VFL Park... they have won 2 premierships since doing so.

It's all about ON FIELD SUCCESS and not where you train!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Grrrrr wrote:

Its not the home for me or my daughter and any of my friens or one single player. Our home is Etihad. We train at Seaford.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Seaford is our HOME base

Players work there nearly every day, Admin work out o there... Our name is on the facility...

We play games at Etihad but beyond that, players don't set foot on the ground...

Tigers home... Punt road
Essendon..... Windy Hill (I think)
Hawks ........ Waverley
Collingwood..... Lexus Centre

Where you spend all of your time is your home.... Players drive to Seaford (and hate it)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Seaford is our HOME base

Players work there nearly every day, Admin work out o there... Our name is on the facility...

We play games at Etihad but beyond that, players don't set foot on the ground...

Tigers home... Punt road
Hawks ........ Waverley

Where you spend all of your time is your home.... Players drive to Seaford (and hate it)

Thought I was on ignore. Seaford is not our home to supporters. Our home is Etihad to supporters. Bugger all go to training so it doesnt matter where we train. If some said to you where is your home surely you would say Etihad. Players would say Seaford but this is a supporters forum not a players forum. Try ignoring me as you say you do next time.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Our identity started and starts in Melbourne's grooviest suburb.

Our heartland extends right down through the bayside suburbs to the Mornington Peninsula.

And at the centre of all this is the great Citadel.

One day we must return.

One day, we will!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:Our identity started and starts in Melbourne's grooviest suburb.

Our heartland extends right down through the bayside suburbs to the Mornington Peninsula.

One day we must return.

One day, we will!

Poetry. I dream of a return. If the AFl had any nouse they would develop dear old Moorabbin as a boutique stadium.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Seaford is our HOME base

Tigers home... Punt road
Hawks ........ Waverley

Is it the time spent driving there or is it the cost of driving there. Maybe we should give them some petrol vouchers

If the player leadership hates it maybe the coach and footy department needs to change the player leadership

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:Our identity started and starts in Melbourne's grooviest suburb.

One day we must return.

One day, we will!

Poetry. I dream of a return. If the AFl had any nouse they would develop dear old Moorabbin as a boutique stadium.

That would be most brainless thing they could do. Firstly we dont need another stadium and secondly who could come up with about 75 million to build it and thirdly it would be a million to one of getting agreed by the residence and council.

Can I ask a question though. If we went back there to train how does that make the Saints a better team or help supporters at all?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: That would be most brainless thing they could do. Firstly we dont need another stadium and secondly who could come up with about 75 million to build it and thirdly it would be a million to one of getting agreed by the residence and council.

Can I ask a question though. If we went back there to train how does that make the Saints a better team or help supporters at all?
Thirdly, if we are going to build a stadium, let's not do it in Moorabbin - the joints a hole, always was a hole.

Apologies to all those that live around the area and would like to walk to the footy again.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

oh when the wrote:They could start by putting a stk f c sign facing peninsula link
So thousands see it every day.
Agreed, make something of it - given that I am one of those that has to put up with hordes of holiday traffic because I choose to live on the Peninsula, I can attest that in about 10 weeks time that road will be chock-a-block with thousands of cars sitting still - advertise to them!!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Kickit
Club Player

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote: That would be most brainless thing they could do. Firstly we dont need another stadium and secondly who could come up with about 75 million to build it and thirdly it would be a million to one of getting agreed by the residence and council.

Thirdly, if we are going to build a stadium, let's not do it in Moorabbin - the joints a hole, always was a hole.

Apologies to all those that live around the area and would like to walk to the footy again.
Without going into a my suburb is better than yours debate.
YES!
Moorabbin is an 8 lane highway with ugly buildings on either side, unless you want to talk about the industrial area which is a poorly planned labyrinth of factories.
There is no character, there is no charm.

At least Seaford has a beach.

So far the worst thing I've heard about Seaford is that its too far from the CBD, and presumably the nightclubs that we don't want the players going to.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

farquhar wrote:
Finally, make events such as the Frankston train to the game real. Have it twice per season, all players on azn early train to game mixing with fans. Non-selected players on later train, interviews, autographs, etc. The club must seriously lift its efforts in engaging fans and has to look to break the mould and be original.
I LOVE this idea - not only players - but make it a regular meeting point for people going to the game - take over the train - have a supporters barbeque at Seaford - or Frankston - then all head into the game from there - I went up to the Gold Coast for a game a few years back - the community aspect of the ground, with jumping castles etc was fantastic.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The players playing the game would refuse to do that....

On game day, their focus is preparing to play... Not mixing with fans

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Hawks played at Waverley for 2 decades before it became their home training base...

It was an already established football stronghold, that is easily accessible and accepted..

Seaford is an established s### hole and has never had anything to do with footy... Coming from my side of the city, it is also a bitch to get to...

This has no reflection on our on field performances, but IMO it does effect enthusiasm to have an involvement with the club on non match days/weekends..

I used to go to training 4/5 times a year. Have not been to Seaford once...