Spencer White

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Spencer White

Does anyone have news on this guy?

He came to us with a dash of potential. Showed a glimpse or two for Sandringham.

He had a broken wrist when we first got him which also eventually put him out for 2013.

I've heard rumours that he has a fractured scaphoid bone which is notoriously difficult to heal because of a lack of blood flow.

If it didn't heal the first time he will have undergone more surgery that included a bone graft from his pelvis and at least six months in a cast.

Sometimes this bone fracture doesn't ever heal properly which can be career ending.

Not trying to be the voice of doom but would be grateful for any update.

bennymac5
Club Player

Re: Spencer White

We're in a good position with White IMO. Have somewhat of a free hit with him. We have Lee who I am confident will be a 40 goals a year player and next year will likely get our pick at at least one of Hugh Goddard, Patrick McCartin and Peter Wright, all who have great potential as key forwards. If White is a star, fantastic. If he isn't, we have other options.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

damienc - i think you are spot on.

The wrist is the only thing holding him back. It really holds him back because it means he is limited in ability to lift weights.
Based on 6 months recovery it mean no weights until Feb. Probably needs his own pre-season then for 3 months so I wouldnt expect much from him before May.
Lets just hope the surgeon did a good job and it heals.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Can't he lift weights from the wrists down? Just have him wear arm weights 16 hours a day. Something like this but beefier:

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

It's times like this when it would be real handy having a Doctor on the forum 8-)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully you are wrong and the big boy can play 23 games next year and score 120 goals.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:Does anyone have news on this guy?

He came to us with a dash of potential. Showed a glimpse or two for Sandringham.

He had a broken wrist when we first got him which also eventually put him out for 2013.

I've heard rumours that he has a fractured scaphoid bone which is notoriously difficult to heal because of a lack of blood flow.

If it didn't heal the first time he will have undergone more surgery that included a bone graft from his pelvis and at least six months in a cast.

Sometimes this bone fracture doesn't ever heal properly which can be career ending.

Not trying to be the voice of doom but would be grateful for any update.
probably another Jarryd Allen, gone before he got started, the McIntosh syndrome

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

If he doesn't fire he will go down in club histroy as Spencer Shite :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saint6709
Club Player

He is a 2015 prospect IMO - wouldnt worry too much about him next year - a bloke like Lever needs to start making an impact in 2014 and I really hope he does - likewise Stanley needs to become a match winner, 2014 is time for him

saintsdisco

I've broken my scaphoid bone in my right wrist three times over the years. The first time was probably the worst. I was in a cast for three months but it hadn't healed sufficiently and I went back in for another 6 weeks. The second and third times happened about 18 months apart but healed fairly smoothly with each time in a cast for around 12 weeks. That was 20 years ago and although I never played anything more than suburban footy, I was still able to play for years after and only really finished playing super fools a couple years back. I also still play cricket and go to the gym and lift pretty heavy weights and I'm a Landscaper, and other than cold days, it doesn't hinder me at all. So really not doom and gloom issue

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:It's times like this when it would be real handy having a Doctor on the forum 8-)
You mean to say you're not a real doctor? Well I'll be buttered on both sides!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saint6709
Club Player

saint6709 wrote:He is a 2015 prospect IMO - wouldnt worry too much about him next year - a bloke like Lever needs to start making an impact in 2014 and I really hope he does - likewise Stanley needs to become a match winner, 2014 is time for him
Better cancel my own post re Lever - think that was a poor decision for the record

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsdisco wrote:I've broken my scaphoid bone in my right wrist three times over the years. The first time was probably the worst. I was in a cast for three months but it hadn't healed sufficiently and I went back in for another 6 weeks. The second and third times happened about 18 months apart but healed fairly smoothly with each time in a cast for around 12 weeks. That was 20 years ago and although I never played anything more than suburban footy, I was still able to play for years after and only really finished playing super fools a couple years back. I also still play cricket and go to the gym and lift pretty heavy weights and I'm a Landscaper, and other than cold days, it doesn't hinder me at all. So really not doom and gloom issue
Dance floor accident ?

Seriously i think we just need to be patient.
Bones are brittle and week in ur late teens .
Lets just not rush him and mark him down for 2015.
It will heal and get stronger in his twenties.
Different injury to jarryd allen. Different result.
Hell get stronger gradually . No panic.

Beekay
SS Life Member

^ Here's Con M.D

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

I broke my scaphoid aged 18 playing Rugby. 10 weeks in plaster, was a bit sore for a while after the cast came off, and then I launched into the cricket season and it didn't worry me at all. Only problem would be if he played with it broken, or came back too early.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He'll be sore in the cold.... Otherwise he should be fine....

He needs another season, with perhaps a debut.... His debut year, should be Riewoldts last.... He doesn't not work hard enough ATM

Neither does Rhys or Siposs

That is the three prong fwd line in the future.... Perhaps with Markworth/Murdoch and Minchington??

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Siposs is miles off and needs to remove to remove the digit and realise hes not a superstar and just aim to be a workhorse . stanley is a ruck or nothing imho.
But white - i still believe he can be a genuine key fwd in 2 years.
Markworth i hope turns out like fyfe. A mid who can sneak fwd.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:He'll be sore in the cold.... Otherwise he should be fine....

He needs another season, with perhaps a debut.... His debut year, should be Riewoldts last.... He doesn't not work hard enough ATM

Neither does Rhys or Siposs

That is the three prong fwd line in the future.... Perhaps with Markworth/Murdoch and Minchington??
I don't think any 19 year old knows what work is regardless of the profession

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Spencer is one of the players who's review will be up tomorrow 3/10
Saints in review tomorrow: Sam Gilbert, Jack Newnes, Spencer White

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Some asthma sufferers have problems with bone density from their medications. White's a severe asthmatic. The bone density problems can be mitigated, in some cases, depending on the type of asthma medication and identified impacts.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

he needs to be able to bench press 120kg + to play his position in the afl so he needs ongoing wrist strength.
we cant rush him. slow build of fitness and strenght. Wont impact until 2015.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:he needs to be able to bench press 120kg + to play his position in the afl so he needs ongoing wrist strength.

He is very quick and athletic for his height like Franklin. They may want him to stay slightly less bulky to preserve his speed and joints. I'm not sure Riewoldt could press 120 kegs and he goes okay.

Kickit
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:he needs to be able to bench press 120kg + to play his position in the afl so he needs ongoing wrist strength.
Time to build up his tank.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Some asthma sufferers have problems with bone density from their medications. White's a severe asthmatic. The bone density problems can be mitigated, in some cases, depending on the type of asthma medication and identified impacts.
By medication you mean steroids, right?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

He is very quick and athletic for his height like Franklin. They may want him to stay slightly less bulky to preserve his speed and joints. I'm not sure Riewoldt could press 120 kegs and he goes okay.
Id be amazed if Roo couldn't bench 120.
Not saying he needs to be a muscle man but he needs to be able to do push ups and hold his ground in a contest and lay hard tackles and not get rag dolled.
Just saying playing footy without a wrist is nigh on impossible. I reckon hell be ok if we manage his body. We dont want to Patty Cummings the kid!