Sandy partnership in trouble- Capt abandons ship?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

andrewg
Club Player

Re: Sandy partnership in trouble- Capt abandons ship?

I can't wait till the Sandy rubbish is gone. If we are serious above development of young players we must have a stand alone team. There is no coincidence that the teams that have the best development of young players have there own teams...
Sydney
Cats
Pies
Time to be our own team.....get them to Moorabin it will be amazing

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:I can't wait till the Sandy rubbish is gone. If we are serious above development of young players we must have a stand alone team. There is no coincidence that the teams that have the best development of young players have there own teams...
Sydney
Cats
Pies
Time to be our own team.....get them to Moorabin it will be amazing
Hawks?

Stand alone side is no silver bullet.

We need a depth of good young players.
What good is a stand alone side with crap recruiting and crap coaching and crap culture ?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
saintly wrote:
skeptic wrote:doesn't Hawthorn more or less own Box Hill?

yes, box hill is really just nearly hawthorn in disquise.
Box Hill were the Mustangs. Hawthorn have completely taken over the club.

I agree. In the 90's me and a group of footy mates after playing on Saturday and partying Saturday night would all turn up at the Box Hill City Oval hungover to watch the Stangas. They would always get a good crowd - they were great days standing on the hill telling yarns, listening to blokes abuse the umpires and watch local blokes from our league step up to the next level.

I don't know one person from the area who would even suggest going to watch them these days. They are the Hawks reserves, NOT Box Hill. The only ppl interested in them are Hawks supporters.

The AFL wrecked the VFA.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why don't we take over the fledgling Frankston like Hawthorn.... Same colours.... Seconds: Frankston Saints...

Both teams train at Seaford... One plays at Frankston, one plays at Etihad.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why don't we take over the fledgling Frankston like Hawthorn.... Same colours.... Seconds: Frankston Saints...

Both teams train at Seaford... One plays at Frankston, one plays at Etihad.

Didn't we try that? How many VFA clubs should we ruin? Not entirely our fault I know. It's the system. I just hate the system and look fwd to us having our own team.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
saintly wrote:
skeptic wrote:doesn't Hawthorn more or less own Box Hill?

yes, box hill is really just nearly hawthorn in disquise.
Box Hill were the Mustangs. Hawthorn have completely taken over the club.
Exactly, so it's not an even comparison

It's not as though the Hawks have found a way to manage their alignment better than us... essentially they have their own standalone team

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No

We aligned with Casey and Sandy.... Poorly

Take over Frankston

Complete control

ctqs
Club Player

The VFL should go back to two divisions so the smaller, stand-alone teams don't get totally crushed every week.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No

Take over Frankston

Complete control
BM we dont always agree but I quite like that idea.
I know a lot of people want a new side playing out of moorabin but are we too late for that ?
and would frankston agree to a complete take over ?
I have no idea but the juniors and reserves could remain dolphins and the senior side could be the frankston saints.
is this plausible ?

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Take over Frankston

Complete control
Frankston will never allow the club to go into an alignment. They want to be standalone as they believe in giving young guys a 2nd chance at making it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Take over Frankston

Complete control

Im pretty sure Frankston said no. We will be with Sandy for 2 more years or on our own straight away if they burn us. We dont have a ground so id suggest we may have to agree to what Sandy want for 2 years then we will be on our own at Moorabbin if they get funding which looks certain. No point in wrecking Frankston for 2 years and i doubt they would agree.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Frankston are not concerned so much with getting guys recruited, that's just been a byproduct of being stand alone and AFL clubs wanting to list some experienced rookies.... Port Melbourne have had draftees also.

Frankston want its own team in the highest possible competition, for the people of the city of Frankston to watch. They want to play finals.

They are surviving mainly due to the support of Graham Quarries... A multi millionaire businessman who props up several sporting groups in Frankston including Basketball, Netball and Cricket... But he sinks plenty into the dolphins. The will not be sustainable in the VFL though, they just won have the resources to compete with AFL clubs.

darylcowie
Club Player

Do Frankston have a clash strip to wear when they play us at Moorabbin?

Red, white and black DEFINITELY clashes with red, white and black!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
Kickit
Club Player

Cockie won the best and fairest by a fair margin. He's remaining at Sandringham. ( Captain material )??
Curren came second. I think its fair to say that Sandringham got more of Curren than they should have expected. Saints could have legitimately played him all year.
Dunell was next. Played minimal games for StKilda. May have been named emergency a few times, I think its unrealistic not to expect this when the Zebs play before the Saints on the weekend.
Shenton was next in the B@F, did someone suggest he was being gifted games in the seniors?
Then Saunders.
Then Cook
Then Murdoch

I think its unfair to suggest that StKilda players were preventing Sandringham from performing well.
I still think injuries would have caused a lot of the frustration. Players like Kosi and Maister getting injured. Fisher, Gilbert, Gwilt getting injured meant that the best prospects for the Sandringham backline were playing for StKilda.
Were Lever and Staley being gifted games or were they there due to necessity , who should have played instead? ( I think Staley did some pretty solid work ).

Marigliani the only departure so far - and a former Essendon player , so therefore of questionable character ( Joking sorry ).

SideshowMilne
Club Player

Anyone considered where do we find the additional coin for the VFL team and the required upgrades to get Moorabbin to VFL standard? Its no coincidence the teams with their own VFL teams are the ones with better bottom lines.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

SideshowMilne wrote:Anyone considered where do we find the additional coin for the VFL team and the required upgrades to get Moorabbin to VFL standard? Its no coincidence the teams with their own VFL teams are the ones with better bottom lines.
Bulldogs?

SideshowMilne
Club Player

sorry P66, missed one exception.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:Cockie won the best and fairest by a fair margin. He's remaining at Sandringham. ( Captain material )??
Curren came second. I think its fair to say that Sandringham got more of Curren than they should have expected. Saints could have legitimately played him all year.
Dunell was next. Played minimal games for StKilda. May have been named emergency a few times, I think its unrealistic not to expect this when the Zebs play before the Saints on the weekend.
Shenton was next in the B@F, did someone suggest he was being gifted games in the seniors?
Then Saunders.
Then Cook
Then Murdoch

I think its unfair to suggest that StKilda players were preventing Sandringham from performing well.
I still think injuries would have caused a lot of the frustration. Players like Kosi and Maister getting injured. Fisher, Gilbert, Gwilt getting injured meant that the best prospects for the Sandringham backline were playing for StKilda.
Were Lever and Staley being gifted games or were they there due to necessity , who should have played instead? ( I think Staley did some pretty solid work ).

Marigliani the only departure so far - and a former Essendon player , so therefore of questionable character ( Joking sorry ).
I think zebraman suggested Shenton was gifted games in 2012 not 2013.
I think they feel just a few Saints players werent quite there for the molt part. eg Lever and Staley.
But fair point. Some Saints did pretty well also. Saunders did well for a first year. Sandy would have been be rapt with him if he wasnt a Saint and came to the club on his own steam.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Some were against a stand alone VFL team until it became fashionable 2012 onwards

Hindsight now?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Some were against a stand alone VFL team until it became fashionable 2012 onwards

Hindsight now?

Cant remember any being against it. Some including me said we didnt have a ground or money to get it up and running. You cant just come out with comments like that when no one said it. There you go I have come out with a comment that no one said it.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Negotiations between Sandringham and St Kilda are continuing in regards to the new alignment agreement between the two clubs for the 2014-2015 seasons, the current agreement expires at the end of October.

The new agreement will be subject to some new conditions regarding a minimum number of Sandringham players in the team and team selection.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

maverick wrote:
SideshowMilne wrote:Anyone considered where do we find the additional coin for the VFL team and the required upgrades to get Moorabbin to VFL standard? Its no coincidence the teams with their own VFL teams are the ones with better bottom lines.
Bulldogs?
A guy at work is a Bulldogs member. He just got his renewal for next year and they are asking all members to chip in an extra $20 on top of their membership to help pay for their VFL side.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
ChelseaGuy
Club Player

remboy wrote:
A guy at work is a Bulldogs member. He just got his renewal for next year and they are asking all members to chip in an extra $20 on top of their membership to help pay for their VFL side.
I'd be Ok with that