Aish today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: Aish today

Cameron Giles (SA – KPD)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 93kg, DOB: 5/05/1995
Woodville-West Torrens

Had 26 touches today in the U18 SANFL grand final, he and Mitchell Karpany small mid absolutely dominated the game.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

The u18 SANFL grand final did not rise to any great heights. Little to get excited about in that game IMHO.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
noddy04
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:Was his dad that wuss that captained SA against the Vics that day at the G when Plugger and Dunstall went berserk?
Dont know how anyone who captains their state can be called a wuss....How many state games did you play again Johnny?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Aish is regarded a legend in SA

Jet footballer, would have starred in the VFL

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

From the v start of speculation about this year's order of selection in the draft I've found it difficult to understand why Aish and Kelly are rated by some in the top three. They're not onballers. With all of the usual qualifications they both will still play most of their footy on the wing. They're outside midfielders. Every year the clubs with twice as many recruitment staff as us and others near the bottom start their rumour mongering in March and never let up no matter how badly their predicted top half dozen go at the carnival or no matter how much others improve. I hope we have enough nous to call Crouch or Freeman at pick 3 and if not that we stick to Scharenberg. Two first touch midfielders who will play every game in the guts and plenty from the start or a strong quality player you can plug in and play.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Hemi Baxter wrote:From the v start of speculation about this year's order of selection in the draft I've found it difficult to understand why Aish and Kelly are rated by some in the top three. They're not onballers. With all of the usual qualifications they both will still play most of their footy on the wing. They're outside midfielders. Every year the clubs with twice as many recruitment staff as us and others near the bottom start their rumour mongering in March and never let up no matter how badly their predicted top half dozen go at the carnival or no matter how much others improve. I hope we have enough nous to call Crouch or Freeman at pick 3 and if not that we stick to Scharenberg. Two first touch midfielders who will play every game in the guts and plenty from the start or a strong quality player you can plug in and play.

I'm really warming to Freeman- he's fast and tough. I doubt we will get him though not a top 4 pick. Schazz is though. I get your point and I think we should look at intstant impact as a factor as we need to create some positive hype.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

and Freeman is exciting, he leaves opponents standing with that whopping step. I don't think there is much at all between him and the top 4. If we want endless outside run then Hartung, who will also be a fan fav will still probably be there in the high teens to low twenties.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Hemi Baxter wrote:From the v start of speculation about this year's order of selection in the draft I've found it difficult to understand why Aish and Kelly are rated by some in the top three. They're not onballers. With all of the usual qualifications they both will still play most of their footy on the wing. They're outside midfielders. Every year the clubs with twice as many recruitment staff as us and others near the bottom start their rumour mongering in March and never let up no matter how badly their predicted top half dozen go at the carnival or no matter how much others improve. I hope we have enough nous to call Crouch or Freeman at pick 3 and if not that we stick to Scharenberg. Two first touch midfielders who will play every game in the guts and plenty from the start or a strong quality player you can plug in and play.
No different from Dal or Joey really who both would have been described in similar terms to Aish and Kelly. 10 years down the track we are all pretty happy how they turned out and even at the ripe old age of 28 clubs are still interested in poaching them from us to provide the outside run and finish. Yes we need some inside mids as well, but we also need quality outside guys to finish the hard work that the inside guys do.

What we need is for our recruiters to get it right with pick 3 whichever way they go - a 200+ game multiple all Australian, and not some guy who just makes up the numbers.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: No different from Dal or Joey really who both would have been described in similar terms to Aish and Kelly. 10 years down the track we are all pretty happy how they turned out and even at the ripe old age of 28 clubs are still interested in poaching them from us to provide the outside run and finish. Yes we need some inside mids as well, but we also need quality outside guys to finish the hard work that the inside guys do.

What we need is for our recruiters to get it right with pick 3 whichever way they go - a 200+ game multiple all Australian, and not some guy who just makes up the numbers.
Agree with all that . I think people forget it took Joey until he was 22/23 to really become the good player he is today.

I don't want to be a pedant but Joey and NDS will both be 30 shortly and before the 2014 season starts.
But we should definitely tell North they are 28 so nice work.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Aish to St. Kilda - J.Clarke

Listening to J.Clarke talkin on the KB show, he said Melb v. keen on J.Kelly so that leaves Aish available @ Pick #3. if St.Kilda want him

The same guy felt St.Kilda should take the Delaney + Pick 28 he thought norf would offer 4 Dal.
A win- win for St.K. he said.

I'm not so sure.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

I'm leaning towards Kelly over Aish.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:I'm leaning towards Kelly over Aish.
After watching a couple of games of the National Carnival, I really like the look of Scharenberg !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Scharenberg, I think he's been discounted by many Saints fans as he has played predominately as the half back 'quarterback' for SA (the infamous Goddard role) & we have half backs seemingly coming out of our ears.

I suppose we have to consider that;

* Scharenberg could develop into a tall inside mid ala Josh Kennedy
* Outside of Webster (who may transition into the midfield anyway) I don't see an elite baller user coming through that can be used as the defensive quarterback.
* Scharenberg is a true all round utility that can also spend time up forward.

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if Trout calls Scharenberg out in November.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Berg can play forward a bit

mick13
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:Re: Scharenberg, I think he's been discounted by many Saints fans as he has played predominately as the half back 'quarterback' for SA (the infamous Goddard role) & we have half backs seemingly coming out of our ears.

* Outside of Webster (who may transition into the midfield anyway) I don't see an elite baller user coming through that can be used as the defensive quarterback.

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if Trout calls Scharenberg out in November.
Some of the Phantom Drafts on BF actually consider Berg more talented than Aish and Kelly. It's just a huge risk to pull him at #3 if he ends up not being able to transition into the middle.

Would not mind at all if we took him though. I really think we can't go wrong with any of Aish, Kelly, Berg or Billings.

suss
Club Player

Kelly looks very small in the vision / photos I've seen - I wonder whether he can put on the weight required. Scharenberg on the other hand looks like he could make an impact straight away.

This could be another Ball vs Judd or Goddard vs Wells decision. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Berg can play forward a bit
Most well rounded player in the draft. Will play round 1 and least risk selection. If GWS get melb's pick 2 they'll pick the Berg.

kalsaint
Club Player

Munga wrote:I'm leaning towards Kelly over Aish.

Me too but not sure he will last to pick 3. By an article I read on Kelly and a school mate Kelly has all the discipline and mental application to become a real quality AFL player.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
gringo
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:Re: Scharenberg, I think he's been discounted by many Saints fans as he has played predominately as the half back 'quarterback' for SA (the infamous Goddard role) & we have half backs seemingly coming out of our ears.

Some of the Phantom Drafts on BF actually consider Berg more talented than Aish and Kelly. It's just a huge risk to pull him at #3 if he ends up not being able to transition into the middle.

Would not mind at all if we took him though. I really think we can't go wrong with any of Aish, Kelly, Berg or Billings.

Why? Because he is like goddard and he was such a waste of pick 1? He has a complete game and the only thing stopping him being a number one is no one knows if he can play as a mid yet. I saw him last year for SA and he was the outstanding player on the ground. He ran and carried the ball end to end and had everything you want in a modern footy player. If it was my choice I would take him.

Knightmare on big footy who does the phantom draft has drifted on Aish and Kelly and says he wouldn't give up a top 3 pick for them anymore and has downgraded how he sees Kelly especially and Aish is no longer considered an a grade potential by him. He really likes Crouch but says his disposal is a bit iffy. It will be interesting to se which way we go. Billings is like Scazza -hasn't played in the midfield but you would imagine he could do a Stevie J and transition in there but play good footy early in a forward pocket.