Saints seek stability to end rough off-season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints seek stability to end rough off-season

Michael Voss built a whole team around fev... oh wait...

I wonder if Leppitch could do with say Lachie Henderson and the pick 12 they gave away... which could have been Fyfe or Carlisle.

Watters is unlikely to be around in 3 years... He's already shown a tendency to recruit mates... We should have bloody Membrey instead of our 6th small forward. He should keep out of it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Michael Voss built a whole team around fev... oh wait...

I wonder if Leppitch could do with say Lachie Henderson and the pick 12 they gave away... which could have been Fyfe or Carlisle.

Watters is unlikely to be around in 3 years... He's already shown a tendency to recruit mates... We should have bloody Membrey instead of our 6th small forward. He should keep out of it.

Thats true but how do we know Clarkson didnt have a say in Harris, Burgoyne and Gunston. And even Lake not harris.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

"Summers heads the AV Jennings empire, and it's understood his approach has been more forceful than his predecessor Greg Westaway".
- See more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-08/s ... Fc4Rk.dpuf

Thank god for that. Having a Ghost President has been a factor in us falling off the pace, and certainly in the finacial health of the club.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
defacto
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Mr Watters had a say in bringing Maister and TDL to the club - I agree with the club in taking that role away from the coach. Lyon interfered way too much and it appeared that Watters was wanting to interfere as well!
LOL club were in discussions with maister before watters came along

70s sainter
Club Player

Watters prob knows that the vultures will start circling if we can't win a game for the next two years. Without dal it's a lot more likely. Then there is the mentoring factor I guess. I'm all for the trade .

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:"Summers heads the AV Jennings empire, and it's understood his approach has been more forceful than his predecessor Greg Westaway".
- See more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-08/s ... Fc4Rk.dpuf

Thank god for that. Having a Ghost President has been a factor in us falling off the pace, and certainly in the finacial health of the club.
It's a sad indictment of our club that Westaway lasted as long as he did
Last edited by saintspremiers on Tue 08 Oct 2013 8:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
slider wrote:The recruitment and list management team are employed to find the best available talent for the coach and assistant coaches to work with. The coach calls the shots on game day on which cattle is on the field, he should also have the right of final reply as to whom he coaches, relaying who and what he needs to the recruitment staff and they go out and try and find the best they can and make the best deals possible on draft days.

Is Dal staying at the Saints? i personally think its a done deal hes gone, its the sorting of the exact deal thats delaying it.
trent
dennis
lane
Lyon made some howlers over the years. eg Ryan Gamble, Matthew Clarke..It happens...as long as he learns from it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Thats true but how do we know Clarkson didnt have a say in Harris, Burgoyne and Gunston. And even Lake not harris.
I'm guessing the list manager "Pelchan" signed off on most of those players...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'm guessing the list manager "Pelchan" signed off on most of those players...

2 of them were after he went. maybe all 3.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Article said, "although no one is prepared to go public".

We might have had a different PM if Labour were as stable as the Saints. :mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

A lot of hypothesising and drawing of low bows here

"It appears that" Exactly..appears..nothing concrete just speculation

You think were the only CLub in the AFL that the coach and recruitment staff have differing opinions?? I think not. Its just we take more notice of our own and anything less than perfection is ammo for those "supporters" who like taking pot shots

Head in the sand? maybe but Ill worry when Ive got something concrete to worry about thanks..but the rest of you can go on getting a hernia :/

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
gringo
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:Watters prob knows that the vultures will start circling if we can't win a game for the next two years. Without dal it's a lot more likely. Then there is the mentoring factor I guess. I'm all for the trade .

He knows what happened to his mte at Melbourne who lost some seniors and fell away.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: 2 of them were after he went. maybe all 3.
Right-O, whoever was on the list management team

Those three were all considered guns, one entering, one in & one just past… but all very good footballers… not like some of the recycled players we have added at pick 97… clogging up the list.

FQF
SS Life Member

Lee could still be a star.

According to Wikipedia, he is 194cm. That's 3 cm taller than Lockett was (also Wiki). Just needs to put on another 10kg, and we have a champion.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's a tough one and there are good arguments both ways about Dal. "Somebody" has to be nominated as having the "final say," and therefore final "responsibility" for the decision made.

The Board needs to make the decision of who, after all of the discussion, has the final say. At the moment, the Coach takes and wears the heat for the side's performance and can be quickly sacked. It's a reasonable assumption therefore, that the Coach should have the final say.

It seems that no-one at the Club knows who has the final say, so they continue to argue their positions - no wonder the management at the Club is a joke. It's time to make a decision and move on - either way.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

and while AFL media and Trade media have succesfull kept Dal in the news for 17 days- When nothing has actually happened
the Cats have delisted 4-5 favourite and well respected Premiership players
The Blues have delsited or are trading 5-6 respected players
the Hawkes are 'offering up' a stalwart of the club" and an up an comer who hasn't been given much chance.
the Sydney and Pies are yet again making sweetheart deals.
the Lions are still haveing board spills or not and legal challenges or not
Fremantle are picking up old players again ( sound familiar)

and the Roos are banking on a player ( speach at best and fairest) who the longer it goes on I would feel isn't going to their club,( well I hope he isn't anyway)

assumption and presumption and a reason to exist for "official' media outlets... and general media feed on it.

loved this comment from the sister of a player earlier today
Madeleine Riewoldt‏@MaddsRiewoldt
Got blocked from one of the trade rumour pages for calling them out on a fake trade they made up about nick haha idiots
but the ( and I know we as saints supporters ARE sensitive to Saints news) media still leaed each or most days with - "Dal santo situation is.... or not..."

Strong opinions and differances are ok as long as Mature discussion and consideration occurs.

Go Saints...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:and while AFL media and Trade media have succesfull kept Dal in the news for 17 days- When nothing has actually happened
the Cats have delisted 4-5 favourite and well respected Premiership players
The Blues have delsited or are trading 5-6 respected players
the Hawkes are 'offering up' a stalwart of the club" and an up an comer who hasn't been given much chance.
the Sydney and Pies are yet again making sweetheart deals.
the Lions are still haveing board spills or not and legal challenges or not
Fremantle are picking up old players again ( sound familiar)

and the Roos are banking on a player ( speach at best and fairest) who the longer it goes on I would feel isn't going to their club,( well I hope he isn't anyway)

assumption and presumption and a reason to exist for "official' media outlets... and general media feed on it.

loved this comment from the sister of a player earlier today
Madeleine Riewoldt‏@MaddsRiewoldt
Got blocked from one of the trade rumour pages for calling them out on a fake trade they made up about nick haha idiots
but the ( and I know we as saints supporters ARE sensitive to Saints news) media still leaed each or most days with - "Dal santo situation is.... or not..."

Strong opinions and differances are ok as long as Mature discussion and consideration occurs.

Go Saints...
Good post

The question is do we have a media manager? If we don't I'd think we want to put some serious $$$ into this. The club is getting slaughtered through the media, is this because we have no one in this department?

Bring back the Lockett era
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I reckon you might be being a bit paranoid…

Dal Santo is a huge name in the game… but there are plenty of headlines on Franklin, Thomas & Shaw too

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote: Good post

The question is do we have a media manager? If we don't I'd think we want to put some serious $$$ into this. The club is getting slaughtered through the media, is this because we have no one in this department?
but the paranoid me would suggest that it doesn't matter what we put out there Or not- we are hiding, deflecting or just plain delusional..
truth or half truth or say nothing ..... either way they create a differant word to what is there.

fact appears to be there is no decision yet- there is no need for a decision yet, ... etc etc etc...

anyway- back to my cave where losing long standing and respected players for the good of the list is something easily deflected-- just as some Hawks and cats fans are probably doing.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
degruch
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:The question is do we have a media manager?
I'm not sure it would make much difference, when you read comments about the club's obvious disarray "but no-one is prepared to talk about it publicly"...statements like this ring of damned if you do damned if you don't. No wonder the club has gone back to ingnoring the media during the trade period.

Anyways...in response to the coaches call, of course he has a say in recruiting! How much of a say would vary from club to club...why are we comparing what other clubs do as a template across the league?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 6738565668
The Saints last night confirmed there would be no major personnel changes at Seaford next season.

It follows a review conducted by board member and former player Andrew Thompson.

“Andrew Thompson has led the review into football and identified some improvements we can make but overall his review is an endorsement that we have the right people in the right roles,” St Kilda president Peter Summers said.

“At the end of every season we review every department in the club.”

But the Saints will make some adjustments next year with outside consultancy firm Bluestone Edge hired to oversee culture, ethics and leadership across the entire organisation.

I would imagine most organisations have reviews- most employees have preformance reviews- and nothing wrong with some heigtened awareness of who is doing what and why, reminds people not to get complacent and to keep their eye on their actions and responses.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY