Interesting players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Interesting players

Rhys Stanley 23yo 200cm, Strong, Seriously quick, Good skills.... Lacks confidence and hardness, endurance average and game sense poor

Tom Hickey 22yo, 201cm Good Leap, good endurance, clean hands, good tap work ..... Raw, lacks strength and presence, poor overhead, agility is weak

Arryn Siposs; 21yo 189cm, Elite skills, courageous, natural footballer.... Poor endurance, average defensive skills

Daniel Markworth 21yo 190cm, Elite speed and agility, impact player..... Injury recovery, not a natural footballer and doesn't find the ball a lot, can make poor decisions..

Spencer White 19yo 196cm, Freak Athlete, impact player, good hands and skills....... Defensive skills non existent, Lazy, Weak endurance

Lewis Pierce 19yo 202cm, good character, reads the game well, huge scope for development ....... Like a baby Giraffe

Jackson Ferguson 21yo 194cm, keen learner, good athlete, good overhead, takes the game on..... Not a natural footballer, decision making can be poor, lacks strength

Terry Milera 25yo, 183cm super talent, reads play well, balance, good hands (overhead/ground) polished...... Awareness issues, lacks strength in the contest, makes some poor decisions, makes some poor efforts

Saad 23yo 174cm good goal sense with elite speed and agility, dead eye...... Doesn't find the ball enough... Hot and cold

All of these players have massive upside..... Massive weaknesses

They (some of) could be the difference between a rise right back to the top and just a rise.... Jack, Longer and a few new draft picks will need another A Grader to emerg from this group....

All of them have ELITE parts to their games (which can't be taught or manufactured).... Only have to iron out deficiencies.... Which can be learned.... If the desire is there?!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Interesting players

Thanks for a really interesting assessment there Mart. :D Here's a coupla' more thoughts for consideration...

I would add that Rhys also has a great leap - remember him consistently out jumping the Palm Tree till he got that unfortunate injury(?) I think you nailed it though... confidence seems to be his issue.

I don't think that Hickey is too bad overhead... maybe just some confidence needed also?

Ahmed is quick, but I suspect not quite as quick as some think? I also think that his awareness issues relate to currently having no left foot. Hot and cold... a combination of his fitness not being what it could/needs to be, plus worry about his Viking bust...?

I suspect that confidence (at AFL level) may also be an issue with Arryn(?)

Is Spenc-arrh lazy, or is it more to do with his asthma not being fully controlled...?

You didn't list him, but I reckon Newnes will take a big step up this year... saw some signs of that this season. Tom Lee also... I think that yet again... confidence... for exmple, he's a very good kick, but early on was terrible..., then he settled.

Yes, we may be down again, but it won't be doom and gloom. I'm really looking forward to watching this team develop. I don't think it will take as long as some feared either.

Exciting times ahead!

PS: Mart, you've clearly worked hard to build a reputation and 'following' on here. :lol: Don't go throwing it all away with positivity like in that above post. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
boneless23
Club Player

Lee is the most interesting player IMO. This year he seemed to lack the pace to beat his opponent on the lead and/or the strength to win the one on ones. He has great hands and a beautiful kick so I am hoping that he finds a way to win contests against AFL standard defenders!

saint6709
Club Player

Stanley is also a very good kick - hits the target from 45 can kick it 65 no probs

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not Sure Lee has any elite AFL qualities? Perhaps set shot?

Saad is explosive off the mark... Runs a 2.8 20m and creates quick separation... But rarely will a 174cm going to be quick over longer distances....

Dave
I am not either negative or positive.... I just write what I'm thinking, if that falls either way.... It's just how I see it at the time?

I don't post for popularity, nor for antagonism.... Purely to share an opinion.... I won't be bullied because its not what a few SS opinion police continually attack me? I find it mild entertainment...

Not sure how anyone could love StK more than I do.... It's why I struggle to understand continual or cultural acceptance of failure?! And excuse making apologists

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Other players who could be improvers next season.
Roberton, particularly if he can put on a bit of weight.
Curren, the limited experienmce from 2013 will stand him in good stead.
Hickey, needs to hit the gym, as do several others.
I am so pleased with what the Saints achieved in the trade period, that I believe if we picked three complete duds in the draft (which we wont), we would have still improved our list considerably.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

boneless23 wrote:Lee is the most interesting player IMO. This year he seemed to lack the pace to beat his opponent on the lead and/or the strength to win the one on ones. He has great hands and a beautiful kick so I am hoping that he finds a way to win contests against AFL standard defenders!
It's worth comparing Lee's upper body at the start of the year to the end of the year. His upper body definition was poor at the start and very noticeable by the end. He spent a lot of time in the gym this year, building himself up. But, that came at a cost to his general fitness and he consequently suffered significant niggles (e.g. achilles).

His preseason will be paramount. Yes, I know, it's the same for all bar the elite, but this is the period where he can rest and then build to capitalise on the work done on his body this year.

Spencer White was a more extreme example of Lee's program this year, so much so that he went through a longish phase of play for 1 or 2, then gym for a couple without playing. It's very difficult for a young or underdeveloped body to play flat out and build on physical weaknesses at the same time.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I think Tom Lee will be an absolute gun in a year or 2. Put on some size towards the end of the year and it helped his game to a huge degree. Being around star forwards like Roo will do him absolute wonders in his development.

I think as the delivery into the forward line improves with the elite users of the ball in the middle get more improvement and use of the ball thanks to a ruckman that can win a tap guys like Lee and White (when he gets a run) will be able to kick bags week in week out. Fraser wasn't the quickest bloke by any stretch of the imagination but having the ball delivered to him where he used his natural gifts of strength made him a gun and impossible to stop on his day.

I really like the look of Pierce too. Put a couple years into him and get some muscle on his frame and he will be a great ruckman. Could be that we have an embarrassment of riches in the ruck division in 2-3 years. Good spot to be in

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Schillaci
Club Player

I hope your right about Lee as to date I'm not seeing it Hurricane.
If he lifts his game to a higher standard that would accelerate our climb considerably.
Someone has to be a target up forward once Roo hangs up the boots. It'd be great if Boyd slips to pick 3 but I don't see that happening either.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not Sure Lee has any elite AFL qualities? Perhaps set shot?

Saad is explosive off the mark... Runs a 2.8 20m and creates quick separation... But rarely will a 174cm going to be quick over longer distances....

Dave
I am not either negative or positive.... I just write what I'm thinking, if that falls either way.... It's just how I see it at the time?

I don't post for popularity, nor for antagonism.... Purely to share an opinion.... I won't be bullied because its not what a few SS opinion police continually attack me? I find it mild entertainment...

Not sure how anyone could love StK more than I do.... It's why I struggle to understand continual or cultural acceptance of failure?! And excuse making apologists
Cut out the victim mentality BigMart.

Bullied. :roll:

All through the trading period you were posting rubbish. You posted that clubs were laughin t our recruiting, that supporters were laughin at the club, that the review was a joke, that were are in deep s.hit and unstable

You posted that we would fold by 2017.

It was inflammatory and it was all total factless garbage. Playing victim like everyone is out to get yo makes you come across as infantile and someone who takes no responsibility for their blogging.

In saying that, the OP shows why your input on tis forum is valuable and required. It shows your depth of knowledge on football matters, is fair and balanced and gives scope for ongoing discussion.

But dont think you can post unmittigated rubbish and not be challenged. And if you are challenged and come of second best, dont sook about it.

Just watched Longer up against Minson. Can tap ruck but was totally outbodied, and out positioned in the contests and around the ground.

But that was R1 this year. He looks very raw, and will take a few years to start showing what ittakes.

Still plenty ofupside. From the OP list cant see any A graders (like a Riewoldt or a Goddard) in the ranks. Maybe from the #3 this year and another top 10 next season may give us one.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
spert
Saintsational Legend

Stanley- got height and speed for his size, but is just an average footballer
Hickey- good ruck prospect and will only get better as his body toughens up
Siposs- no second effort, long kick, needs to switch on to what's needed at senior level and do the hard work
Markworth, White, Pierce, Ferguson- unproven and at the moment, young VFL players who need to develop
Milera- freakish skills and will do well if KPPs in the forward line are going well, needs to feed off big forwards
Saad- needs consistency..drifts out of games for long periods. Might be better to give him more time on the ball rather than leaving him deep in forward line
Lee- could have a good 2014, and only needs to tweak his game a bit to be more effective

We probably need Jolly for a season to provide a mature experienced physical presence around the ground-doesn't have to be a star

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Steven is an A grader. Newnes and Wright will become A graders IMHO. Longer will be A grade. Pick 3 should be an A grader.

Lots of B grade potential on our list.

I think the club is trying to build a list of 30 B graders ... With maybe only 5 A graders developing amongst them.

What I love about our list now is the competition for spots and the experienced players left in our system to mentor the youth - although we need to add Jolly to achieve this for our young rucks.

Tall backs: Fisher, Gilbert, Delaney, Bruce (Ferguson)
Medium backs: Dempster, Gwilt, Webster, Simpkin
Small backs: Geary, Newnes, Wright
Inside midfield: Hayes, Jones, Steven, Armitage, Curren, Ross
Outside midfield: Montagna, Ray, Savage, Saunders
Rucks:(Jolly), Longer, Hickey, Pierce
Tall Forwards: Reiwoldt, Stanley, Maister, Lee, White
Medium Forwards: Siiposs, , Murdoch
Small Forwards: Schneider, (Saad), Milera, Minchington, Dennis-Lane

Off the top of my head - who did I miss?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
apples1403

How about Roberton?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And in comes JB

A soft whack behind the play..... How'd you know I was referring to you?

Because, deep down you know you're guilty of not letting

Victim is the wrong word? That would be relevant if I was concerned or hurt, and far from it..... I am interested by your rants....to the point I don't read them?! the motivation for them especially is interesting??

You know you attack anyone not toeing the party line.... Regardless of situation.... Which is interesting in itself give the success of the party? You're like those union goons who can't stand anyone who won't bow down to them...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Missing words

... People have an alternate opinion

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Thread not about players who might improve

It's about those with pieces of Elite potential, but massive concerns which is stifling their development...

Roberton does NOT need weight?! He is a runner

Why is Hickey good? Got perhaps the least scope of that group, he seems an average footballer talent wise... He is one of those ruckmen who play AFL because they are 6'7" not because he's got talent

Lee has no outstanding quality.... He is a GOP

Saad will never play midfield (like Milne) he is a natural fwd.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Thread not about players who might improve

It's about those with pieces of Elite potential, but massive concerns which is stifling their development...

Why is Hickey good? Got perhaps the least scope of that group, he seems an average footballer talent wise... He is one of those ruckmen who play AFL because they are 6'7" not because he's got talent

Who are you writing to?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:And in comes JB

A soft whack behind the play..... How'd you know I was referring to you?

Because, deep down you know you're guilty of not letting

Victim is the wrong word? That would be relevant if I was concerned or hurt, and far from it..... I am interested by your rants....to the point I don't read them?! the motivation for them especially is interesting??

You know you attack anyone not toeing the party line.... Regardless of situation.... Which is interesting in itself give the success of the party? You're like those union goons who can't stand anyone who won't bow down to them...
lol- proves my point. Mate you ply the victim all the time when somebody challenges your sophistry and polemics.

You seem to have a glass jaw and sook. The incredible thing is that you say you dont read my "tants".

If that is the case you wouldn't know if they were rants or not. So silly to be so rigid and blind to facts.

So whats the party line BM? Taking to task someone telling complete mistruths? You think you are the only one who critises the club? For goodness sake the club deserves critisism on occasions but based on FACT.

Your polemics are fact free.

Hilarious, wont bow down to them. It is not my role to educated the ignorant as you seem to want to remain. If you dont have the nous to understand reasoned argument it says more about you than me.

funny how many many others on here hold the same view as me toward your mistruths and constant critisms of the club, based on nothing but your bias.

You dont like it and play victim, you are "bullied", wont toe the "party line" and any other cliche you can throw out.

Very sad, but highly amusing.

Stixk to stuff you actually know about mate, you wont embarrass your self as you have over the past couple of weeks.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Markworth not a natural footballer???? He is pure silk.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Thread not about players who might improve

Lee has a massive scope for being A grade. I watched his WAFL tapes and saw the Foxtel cup series he played in and he looked like Pods or one of those guys that should be playing at a higher level. Once he gets a bit of confidence up he should be a very handy forward. Probably never be Rooey but could easily be a 50 goal a season forward.

It's a bit hard to argue a guy who comes from volley ball is a natural footballer but Hickey is a natural athlete and his qualities like a high leap are adequate for the role he plays. He is a good mark and can tap the ball as well as Big mac who was a natural footballer. I had a mate who played high level state rugby in Queensland moved to vic and came and played AFL and was a gun in no time, he took up basketball because I was playing it and he was a gun at that too. Some people don't need a back ground to be natural sportsmen.

Kickit
Club Player

Saad's work is pretty "interesting" the way he dribbles the ball with his hands, keeping it alive to try and get a clear possession and shot at goal.
It doesn't always work but if he starts pulling off what hes trying to achieve then... wow.

Holmes seems interesting too.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Because is a 'fan forum JB' and there are many middle aged men who idolise people who are at StK for that simple fact.... They are at StK

I am not a victim .... Especially from you.... I'm just a person who you like to knock... Because I don't conform and be a sheep apologist....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lee is actually quick over 20m
So is Spencer.

Lee luckily got injured and could not do the main Bill Davoren program so did more weight work instead.
The results were obvious. His 2nd half was miles better than his first half.
Key fwds dont need to be able to run 15km.

Ask yourself this.
What would you rather get from a key fwd.

Make 16 contests per game and win 3 of them.

Or make 8 contests per game and win 6 of them ?

Id take the 6 wins and 4 goals over the 3 wins and 2 goals .

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

This forum should have a masterbators corner, the ego maniacs could hang out there and compare their weapons, the rest of us could discuss footy from a footy perspective.

Yeah, it probably won't last but....it would be great for a lot of us :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wrong con IMO

Repeat effort and running power is the most important physical attribute for a forward in modern footy