Herald Sun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Herald Sun

AS I've posted elsewhere, out trade was pretty much this:

McEvoy for Longer

Dal Santo for Bruce., Delaney, Savage, pick 18, and an upgrade from pick 24 to pick 19

So, a ruckman for a ruckman, and for a 30 year old midfielder we got two key defenders, a wing/half forward, a first round draft pick, and an upgrade of 5 places on our second round pick. That's outrageous! If that's not a win, what is?

We weren't going to use our 3rd & 4th rounders anyway, so they're irrelevant

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Not sure why people would get emotional about an opinion like this.

I rated it an A, so there you go.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:AS I've posted elsewhere, out trade was pretty much this:

McEvoy for Longer

Dal Santo for Bruce., Delaney, Savage, pick 18, and an upgrade from pick 24 to pick 19

So, a ruckman for a ruckman, and for a 30 year old midfielder we got two key defenders, a wing/half forward, a first round draft pick, and an upgrade of 5 places on our second round pick. That's outrageous! If that's not a win, what is?

We weren't going to use our 3rd & 4th rounders anyway, so they're irrelevant

put like that it's a kick arse trade period. Dal was about the least popular player on here until half way through the season when he turned his form around going into the backline where he wasn't exposed to a tag. Mac Evoy was copping plenty of criticism on here to for his inability to win ruck duels. So we have lost two under performing top paid players for a group who will at least fill needs and the law of averages says at least one will be a very good to elite player.

If we turned the Buddy pick into Crouch for example there is a very good chance we get an elite player in a few years. Savage will be a very decent depth player who can rest forward and run through the middle. Delaney will fill a KPB role and at least be competitive. Bruce and Longer both have massive potential. The biggest upside may still be the fact they release some of our players who are currently reduced in out put due to being played out of position.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Leo.J wrote:Why bother reading that sh!t.... It is not worthy of wiping your arse on.
A bit harsh for my dainty little botty too :roll: :wink: !!

My wife often asks how the print got on my ass.

Goddard Magic
Club Player

The whole idea of grading clubs at this stage is nonsensical. There's a lot more recruiting to be done through the national, pre season and rookie draft as well as delisted free agents.

And even when that's over, a great deal will depend on how the recruits develop and blend into their new and old teams. It could take years to really determine who did well in their recruiting efforts over the year.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I still think it depends how you look at it. If the draft was used to improve our side next year olny then a C+ maybe fair enough because the drafting will make us weaker IMO next year. If its looked at in the long run then its close to an A depending on our we draft and hoe some of the younger trades come on. make no mistake though we will be worse next year but it should quicken up our rebuiding by a year or two with some luck in drafting.
Well our backline is surely stronger now with 2 KPP's. This frees up guys like Fisher and Gwilt from playing on the big guys to playing on guys more their own size. It also alleviates Dal picking up the easy possies down the back half with Fisher, Gwilt and guys like Gears, Roberton and Webster also chopping out the big guys.

We are also at least the same in the ruck department because McEvoy didn't do too much in winning the taps. Big boy helped out in defense however, as I just mentioned, the addition of the two big guys down back means that they or Fisher/Gwilt can sag off and take those chop off marks.

I can't see how we will be worse off next year. I think we can win more games than this year - maybe 6-8 as the new look team gains experience in playing together. :D

We have lost one of our best mids and best forwards and a ruckman who works very hard around the ground. Our backline is stronger and our midfield is much weaker. That will easily cancel oot the improvement of the backline. And also to go up the ladder other sides must drop down. No side above us will drop down IMO. Brisbane won 5 more games than us so even if they drop a bit the gap is to much. Melbourne will improve and so will GWS. Last place is a real chance and again will probably help quicken up our rebuild. First pick in the draft and first pick in the PSD if we can talk a really player into leaving their club. Still a year to early for FA next year IMO but come 2015 we can go real hard on FA as well.
I didn't know that last years wins carry over. But you reckon we're five games behind the Lions already. I wish now I hadn't backed us to make the eight.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"