Garlett?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Garlett?

Does anyone know if we are still looking at Dayle Garlett? If he is touted as a top 10 pick, we would be stupid not to look at him. Does the chances of us getting him increase if we get Choco as coach? Considering Hawthorn, Essendon, and North are all interested in getting him, I think he is worth a punt with pick 19. Here is a link to the article: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/h ... 6751807813

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Garlett?

I hope not!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
sainterinsydney
Club Player

Is his reputation really that bad? He seems to have changed his ways. I think it is worth a punt.

oldie60
Club Player

Irrespective of who the coach is you get the impression Pelchen and Bains will have identified the required players and will pick accordingly. From what we can take over the past few days the coaches are directed by the head of football so its safe to say the recruiters will have an opinion but will they be allowed to do their job or does it have to be ratified by Mr Pelchen. I suppose we will find out on draft day.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'll leave it to the recruiting staff who seem to be making a good fist of it.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote:Is his reputation really that bad?.

Yes it is, it was enough to keep a top 10 talented player from last years supposedly thin draft from even being rookied.

I think because of the last couple of years and saints controversy we should stay clear.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote:Does anyone know if we are still looking at Dayle Garlett? If he is touted as a top 10 pick, we would be stupid not to look at him. Does the chances of us getting him increase if we get Choco as coach? Considering Hawthorn, Essendon, and North are all interested in getting him, I think he is worth a punt with pick 19. Here is a link to the article: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/h ... 6751807813

I reckon he will go in the third or fourth round so a first rounder seems way to high of a price. It appears by trading away those picks we have no interest.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Draft him, and spend the next 2 years trying to manage him at the expense of players with a more professional attitude?

No thanks

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Runs 1 way I've heard

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

My feeling is that in terms of our picks, we're just really badly placed to get him.

As many have pointed out, it looks like there is a standout top 5'ish players in this years draft and then 6-25'ish is fairly even and unpredictable in terms of where players will go... then the depth falls away very very quickly after that.

On talent, DG is an extremely enticing prospect but attitudinal reasons regarding his application make him a risk.

To me, that means that he is probably likely to go around 25'ish after most players that are good but are reported to be more committed will go.

It sounds to me like he may still be available at pick 19 but so will some other good kids that are much more committed and less risky.

I doubt he will last to our 4th pick, but will almost certainly be picked up then if he is, and a late delisting will follow

slider
Club Player

If hes there and hes the best pick at the time, take him.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote:Does anyone know if we are still looking at Dayle Garlett? If he is touted as a top 10 pick, we would be stupid not to look at him. Does the chances of us getting him increase if we get Choco as coach? Considering Hawthorn, Essendon, and North are all interested in getting him, I think he is worth a punt with pick 19. Here is a link to the article: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/h ... 6751807813
i was originally hoping not...but we could do a lot worse...and have in the past.....so maybe...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think he will go in the 20s which kind of puts us out of contention.
Pick 19 maybe too risky for a side in our position.

But nth bombers and hawks might think they have nothing to lose and heaps to gain with their picks in the 20s.

Nth already have dal and mcdonald.

slider
Club Player

Just heard Milera wants out? if he broke his contract whats the go there, is he still in our cap etc

Swap him for Garlett :?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Would have liked him as a rookie last year.... Not as atop 20 DP

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

slider wrote:Just heard Milera wants out? if he broke his contract whats the go there, is he still in our cap etc

He did the same last year - I wonder what has been going on as a poster inferred there had been dramas during the season? You would think this being the case the club would have tried to trade him - perhaps they did an no one in SA wanted him.

I imagine he can opt out of his contract which would mean no payments required from the SAINTS, but it would also mean we get no return re trade options.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's funny.... Why was Terry at the gym at Seaford the other day, if he wants out.... Looks like he started early to me?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
slider wrote:Just heard Milera wants out? if he broke his contract whats the go there, is he still in our cap etc

He did the same last year - I wonder what has been going on as a poster inferred there had been dramas during the season? You would think this being the case the club would have tried to trade him - perhaps they did an no one in SA wanted him.

I imagine he can opt out of his contract which would mean no payments required from the SAINTS, but it would also mean we get no return re trade options.

I have huge doubts he would just give up about 400k.

slider
Club Player

BigMart wrote:It's funny.... Why was Terry at the gym at Seaford the other day, if he wants out.... Looks like he started early to me?

Geez being in the Gym at his footy club means alot in the whether hes staying or going stakes. He would be on a early pre season program after doing rehab and because hes still at the club he would be adhering to it, so of course hes at the club training early.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Players on on holiday still..... They have not been required at the club for weeks

slider
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Players on on holiday still..... They have not been required at the club for weeks

Hes doing an early pre season after doing rehab then coming of a modified program :roll:

In other words hes out of nick and needs to play a bit of catch up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Players on on holiday still..... They have not been required at the club for weeks

I think every player apart from those still overseas would have been at the club many times since the season finished.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

As for Garlett, I dare say if we get Garlett, we miss out on someone like Taylor, Acres, Dumont or Dunstan. All kids with fantastic attitudes and a lot of upside also. We are not in the position to stuff up any draft picks so I would be shocked if we got him.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
slider
Club Player

St Ick wrote:As for Garlett, I dare say if we get Garlett, we miss out on someone like Taylor, Acres, Dumont or Dunstan. All kids with fantastic attitudes and a lot of upside also. We are not in the position to stuff up any draft picks so I would be shocked if we got him.
Not if he fell through to a late pick, but i doubt he will.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We pretty much wrote off Garlett when we traded away all our picks after the 20s. If he slides to the rookie list he will probably get a go at Linen house.