Can we get it right.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can we get it right.

MC Gusto wrote:Taking the same steps as last time and expecting the outcome to be different is the definition of stupidity. Need to take a different approach which I fear we won't.
Not sure I agree with that. The steps may have been spot on, and the process ideal - but there may have been other factors which led to a poor decision.
MC Gusto wrote:Am truly hoping this whole panel thing is to just endorse an already made decision and or in part select the support coaches. If they want their man go out and get him. Panels and reviews and committees landed us watters
Get choco
This I do agree with though to an extent.

Panels and committees in my opinion, are put together to appease the media. At least you can say you followed a 'process' when it goes wrong - which tends to mean that no one person gets blamed!

The issue with 'getting your man' is, who is the person to make the call that they're the right man?

In my opinion, it has to be the CEO. The problem is, that a CEO of an AFL probably doesn't really know. the board should be the last people appointing coaches.

So in our current setup, it has to be Pelchen.

With the CEO included in 2nd round interviews.

Then they make their recommendation and the board signs off on it.

It's time that Pelchin started to own some accountability. He is the footy boss, so he should pick the coach and be accountable for the outcome.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gringo...

Love your work.... Really on the attack

I reckon we are a good chance to pick a good coach, and if he is allowed to steer the ship, and not be dictated to... We might be fine.

GT was a good leader .... Should have stepped aside in 04.
Lyon.... Outstanding process, good decision
Watters.... I thought was the correct appointment going on his résumé .... Thought he was good in 2012 (except R1) and average in 2013
We should land a reasonable cadidate... Hopefully Mark Williams and a talented young assistant

Pick 3 should be a no brainer and 18/19 blue chip

Pelchen's role description needs to be looked at?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Pelchen's role description needs to be looked at?
What's his current "role description"?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Well of you ask people on here he is Head of Footy and The List manager responsible for all trades, draft picksand contracts...

And that he is responsible for our strategic plan for the rebuild?

And that he is above the 'senior coach' in a role that Ross Lyon was uncomfortable with??

I'm not really 100% sure, like all of us.... But I do know that he got rid of Watters.... That's pretty obvious....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Well of you ask people on here he is Head of Footy and The List manager responsible for all trades, draft picksand contracts...

And that he is responsible for our strategic plan for the rebuild?

And that he is above the 'senior coach' in a role that Ross Lyon was uncomfortable with??

I'm not really 100% sure, like all of us.... But I do know that he got rid of Watters.... That's pretty obvious....

Its seems from what has been written that SW got rid of SW. Thats even more obvious.

oldie60
Club Player

Its great to be able to multi task. Businesses love to get the most out of one bloke for the salary of one. He does seem to wear a lot of hats as well as the ones we don't know about, they must be the ones he creates as he goes along so that his job becomes so important the board say "this bloke is so devoted how can we get rid of him" without realising that maybe he could be the one stuffing up.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Bigmart, what part of all the articles that mentioned Scott Watters as needing to change his style did you not read? Football reporters are loathe to criticise sacked coaches, so they are extremely careful and measured. Just look at the Neeld situation. Given that, I found much of the reporting to be quite damning of Watters. How many articles came out in full support go the coach?

linz
Club Player

We need money.
We need a supporter with money.
We need a supporter with money and leadership skills.
We need a supporter with money and leadership skills and a passion for the club.
We need a supporter with money and leadership skills and a passion for the club and is wiling to devote his/her full time organisational skills to deliver the next flag.
Above all we need a leader. (With money)

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Greg T
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:Taking the same steps as last time and expecting the outcome to be different is the definition of stupidity. Need to take a different approach which I fear we won't. Am truly hoping this whole panel thing is to just endorse an already made decision and or in part select the support coaches. If they want their man go out and get him. Panels and reviews and committees landed us watters
Get choco
Great post.
Getting choco with this great list were assembling puts us on the right track.
Seems like it's all coming together quickly.
More confident than I have been for years the club will be flying again soon.
Seems like pelchen done a really good job ....

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Williams has to want the job first

saintly
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Williams has to want the job first

that's right, he might not want it. depends if he wants to be head coach. and he wants to do it at the saints.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:Williams has to want the job first
This is true. Personally, I hope he wants and is up for the challenge. And a challenge it is!