Tigers might Block Williams Appointment.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Burkey 1
Club Player

Tigers might Block Williams Appointment.

It's been reported....Yes by Caro again that Richmond might block Choco's appointment if he gets the coaching position, yes he is under contract but is it not also Restraint of Trade if Richmond refuse to let him go ???

Could get messy for us.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: Tigers might Block Williams Appointment.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... 2x1s5.html

Apparently the "release a coach if he gets a more senior position" convention may not apply to the Tiges.

It's not restraint of trade burkey1 when he is contracted to Richmond. If he goes and they don't release him it is he who has breached the employment contract. But it would be pretty bad form for Richmond not to release him ...

Always loyal
PJ
SS Life Member

I haven't been critical of Caro's recent critiques of the club but this is clearly someone with an agenda and the agenda is "please don't derail Richmond'. Sad, pathetic excuse for what is supposedly to be serious journalism - laughable if it weren't so sit com.

Caro take a bit of a revisit of your most recent work and I'm sure you'll agree the standard isn't high.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sh1t I hope not

Brisbane thought they were getting Roos and sacked Voss and then ended up with egg on their face and a mass exodus of future talent. Hope we don't end up looking a rabble if we can't land the coach we thought was available

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Caro is basically saying StKilda were only thinking of themselves when they sacked Watters in November,
how dare they now upset other clubs plans by poaching one of their assistants just as pre season is about to begin.

Richmond will implode without our help, thaths the thing she forgeths...

Maybe the Saints should talk to Nathan Bassett, i doubt that would upset Essendopes plans, they have their own coaching merry go round :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He can just quit without pay out

He cannot be forced to work somewhere.... Just don't turn up and get sacked if need be?

sainterinsydney
Club Player

As someone who is at the end of their law degree, if Choco wants to leave and Tiges play hardball, it will definitely be deemed a breach of his contract, especially if there is no exit clause for senior coaching eventuations. However, a court is very reluctant to order specific performance of a contract where the contract is for providing an ongoing service and the breaching party has no desire to go through with the contract--as ordering specific performance of the contract would require continued supervision by the court, which it doesn't want to do. In the worst case scenario, Choco would be liable for damages for breach of contract, but would be able to come to us no problem. This is my legal take on the situation.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Also, on the high unlikelihood that Choco's contract with the Tiges included a clause that stated that he couldn't go to another club, in any position, for at least a year after the termination of the contract, the courts would likely strike that provision down on the basis of restraint of trade.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Burkey 1 wrote:It's been reported....Yes by Caro again that Richmond might block Choco's appointment if he gets the coaching position, yes he is under contract but is it not also Restraint of Trade if Richmond refuse to let him go ???

Could get messy for us.

Is restraint of trade the most overused phase in legal history.

I would say it's not restraint of trade - he has a flaming contract!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

She really does have an agenda - "While a shattered and angry Watters remains determined to make St Kilda pay for its decision to remove him"

-really how is Watters going to do that?

If Williams is so desperate to coach at AFL senior level then this may be his last chance. Do you really think he gives a rats about Richmond?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

massive yawn.

everyone knows how it works.

you cant skip a contract to go sideways but you can to get a sr job.

have a look at the bookies. there is 20 candidates for each job.

thats why harves is all or nothing.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Guys you miss the point. IF the Tiges play hardball it may delay his release. We don't want more obstacles.

In any case we had the opportunity to sack Watters earlier but sat on our hands just like we did with the Lyom contract.

We are a rabble at the moment. Pretty hard to knock any journo in the state we are currently in.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Did people really believe the journos who carried the opinion based leaks would not keep an eye for weaknesses in the narrative they'd been fed? They want copy and are never averse to doing 180's if it means their own narrative (e.g. "basket case") generates more copy en route to a bigger story than it was all down to a 2nd year coach.

I would reckon there are numerous journos now looking for different sources and lines of commentary to punch holes in the narrative we've presented. And, I can see lots of opportunities, valid or not, for them to punch new holes.

It's a tiny ring we're fighting in.

My concerns ain't dissipating.

And, before anyone leaps, I rolled my membership over, as per usual.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
markp
Saintsational Legend

Geez I'm not even gonna read the article... of course they'd let him go.

Maybe they 'could' legally block it, but they'd have to firstly be a-holes, and secondly daft to.

Who'd want an assistant coach there under duress, and how effective would he be?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Geez I'm not even gonna read the article... of course they'd let him go.

Maybe they 'could' legally block it, but they'd have to firstly be a-holes, and secondly daft to.

Who'd want an assistant coach there under duress, and how effective would he be?

Of course he will be let go. As per you I wont read the article.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Not hard to work out what's going on here. Brendan Gale trying to use diplomacy to hide his lack of courage and getting Caro to do his "Dirty Work" for him !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SAAD
Club Player

Caro likes Choco...He's coming to us...She knows it...And she's putting some garbage out there in her crappy article to stir things up...

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Eastern wrote:Not hard to work out what's going on here. Brendan Gale trying to use diplomacy to hide his lack of courage and getting Caro to do his "Dirty Work" for him !!
Geez that's a bit harsh ,Benny Gale has had the courage to follow a plan and turn the Tiges around , I hope we find a bloke with half his get up and go , knowledge and courage as a CEO!

PADDLEPOP1000
spert
Saintsational Legend

The Tigers are apparently upset with our treatment of Watters..they should look back at their ruthless treatment of some of their coaches in the past! If there is any issue getting Williams- if he is who the club really wants, then the gig should go to R Harvey and quickly.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:
Eastern wrote:Not hard to work out what's going on here. Brendan Gale trying to use diplomacy to hide his lack of courage and getting Caro to do his "Dirty Work" for him !!
Geez that's a bit harsh ,Benny Gale has had the courage to follow a plan and turn the Tiges around , I hope we find a bloke with half his get up and go , knowledge and courage as a CEO!
Our CEO got up and went!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:It's not restraint of trade burkey1 when he is contracted to Richmond. If he goes and they don't release him it is he who has breached the employment contract. But it would be pretty bad form for Richmond not to release him ...
Especially given that our treatment of coaches over the journey is only surpassed by theirs!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:The Tigers are apparently upset with our treatment of Watters..they should look back at their ruthless treatment of some of their coaches in the past! If there is any issue getting Williams- if he is who the club really wants, then the gig should go to R Harvey and quickly.

Not sure the tiges give two s***s about our treatment of Watters. What they are concerned about is the timing of the sacking. Obviously if we took Choco, they will have a hard time replacing him at this time of the year, with all good candidates already hired at other clubs. I can understand their frustration, particularly as it appears we looked to have him sacked in September, but for some reason didn't.

Let's be honest - can anyone EVER recall a coach being sacked in November? I just shake my head with disappointment at the saints these last couple of years.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:
Our CEO got up and went!
And we will be better for it.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:She really does have an agenda - "While a shattered and angry Watters remains determined to make St Kilda pay for its decision to remove him"

-really how is Watters going to do that?

If Williams is so desperate to coach at AFL senior level then this may be his last chance. Do you really think he gives a rats about Richmond?
she is a crap journo who runs a couple of things together everytime to try and create a scoop......no facts ...just bullsh!t that any of us could write...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
felix
Club Player

Straight swap for mine. Watters to Richmond Choco to the saints.