Shortlist of 2 for new coach by Wednesday

Middo

Re: Shortlist of 2 for new coach by Wednesday

BigMart wrote:Don't confuse negatives with realism

Many on here do....

Pot kettle ....???? :roll: :roll:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!

St Chris wrote:Give the guy 5 years.

The way I see it, it will take 3 years to get the young blokes up and going. They are going to be a tough 3 years. If we get to the end of his contract and we've won 8 or 10 games in 3 years, how can the board give him an extension - the jungle drums will be beating them into submission.

If he gets 5 years, he can at least see some of the fruits of his labour. With a bunch of talented kids in their early 20's, Chocos 4th and 5th years should be more successful, and we'll be in a much better position to either extend Williams' tenure, or replace him.

Many would argue that the next 3 years are still going to be donwhill for us, no experienced senior coach is going to agree to wear that without some added security beyond.
Can we survive 3 years in the wilderness? I'm talking financially. AFL is a cut-throat business and I think we need to be showing promise next year and the year after to maintain/attract members and sponsors.
Williams doesn't have the luxury to take his time.

Gershwin wrote:

The way I see it, it will take 3 years to get the young blokes up and going. They are going to be a tough 3 years. If we get to the end of his contract and we've won 8 or 10 games in 3 years, how can the board give him an extension - the jungle drums will be beating them into submission.

If he gets 5 years, he can at least see some of the fruits of his labour. With a bunch of talented kids in their early 20's, Chocos 4th and 5th years should be more successful, and we'll be in a much better position to either extend Williams' tenure, or replace him.

Many would argue that the next 3 years are still going to be donwhill for us, no experienced senior coach is going to agree to wear that without some added security beyond.
Can we survive 3 years in the wilderness? I'm talking financially. AFL is a cut-throat business and I think we need to be showing promise next year and the year after to maintain/attract members and sponsors.
Unfortunately at the moment we have less stars/A graders than any other club in the comp… not a lot we can do in the short term but hold on and draft well… don't think we have much chance of fighting back up the ladder in the next year or 2. Hopefully the AFL help us out if things get dire financially - like they did Melbourne recently.

Genuine equalization can't come fast enough… stadium deals, fixturing, exposure, interstate travel. We have massive TV revenue, but 4 or 5 clubs that can't break even unless they are playing finals… the system is failing.

Gershwin wrote:

Unfortunately at the moment we have less stars/A graders than any other club in the comp… not a lot we can do in the short term but hold on and draft well… don't think we have much chance of fighting back up the ladder in the next year or 2. Hopefully the AFL help us out if things get dire financially - like they did Melbourne recently.

Genuine equalization can't come fast enough… stadium deals, fixturing, exposure, interstate travel. We have massive TV revenue, but 4 or 5 clubs that can't break even unless they are playing finals… the system is failing.
Not arguing with you there mate.
South Melbourne were hard done by as were Fitzroy.
Just hate being down at the pointy-end for too long.

asaint

Just heard the end of a caller on sen this morning talking about leading teams and their low opinion of chocos coaching dogmatic style.What was the callers source? Can someone fill me in?

Do you reckon Ross Lyon doesn't have a dogmatic style?
It's just an opinion. He's a good coach. No one can deny that.

Williams is a premiership coach, so whatever he did, worked- be it dogmatic or not. I would like another premiership at our club, so let's hire a coach who has been there.

felix

asaint wrote:Just heard the end of a caller on sen this morning talking about leading teams and their low opinion of chocos coaching dogmatic style.What was the callers source? Can someone fill me in?
It was Caro putting on a deep voice.

Gershwin wrote:

Not sure we have much choice unfortunately.

Our drafting "success" from 2006 to 2011 is about to bite - hard.

Once Lenny, Chips, Joey and Roo are done in the next 12-24 months, the huge gap of talent behind them is gonna hurt us. Especially when we trade out a guy like McEvoy, one of the few good ones in that age group.

spert wrote:Williams is a premiership coach, so whatever he did, worked- be it dogmatic or not. I would like another premiership at our club, so let's hire a coach who has been there.
So why has nobody given him a senior gig since?

spert wrote:Williams is a premiership coach, so whatever he did, worked- be it dogmatic or not. I would like another premiership at our club, so let's hire a coach who has been there.

Dont know but who do you want to coach K? At least with Williams excuses like he hasnt coached before are out the door.

He was under the impression he was going to get the GWS gig when Sheedy was supposed to handover.
Something happened there between him and Sheedy (apparently) and he left when Sheedy stayed on- snapped up by Richmond to run their 'development program'.

Dont know but who do you want to coach K? At least with Williams excuses like he hasnt coached before are out the door.
I think he is neurotic and a little out of sync with modern footy.

I'd prefer we let Kingsley run it for the next 12 months, if it works out then give it to him, if someone else emerges next year then we reassess.

It's not like we're missing the flag in taking our time with the decision, I don't really think leftovers are what we need now.

Why would you put a novice in to run it for 12 months when the club is screaming for leadership and stability?
Why would you pass up a proven senior coach who new players have already labelled "a great developer of kids" at a time when next 3 years is all about that??

Really poorly thought out

Teflon wrote:Why would you put a novice in to run it for 12 months when the club is screaming for leadership and stability?
Why would you pass up a proven senior coach who new players have already labelled "a great developer of kids" at a time when next 3 years is all about that??

Really poorly thought out
The club is screaming for leadership, and a dynamic CEO is what our priority should be.

We are at the stage of blooding kids, what's the rush to put in a slightly unhinged guy who could set us backwards.

Mark Williams?

Please, the guy will be wanting to focus on his win/loss, guarantee it.

SainterK wrote: So why has nobody given him a senior gig since?

I think he is neurotic and a little out of sync with modern footy.

I'd prefer we let Kingsley run it for the next 12 months, if it works out then give it to him, if someone else emerges next year then we reassess.

It's not like we're missing the flag in taking our time with the decision, I don't really think leftovers are what we need now.

What a complete joke we would become if they thought Kingsley wasnt working out and sacked him. laughing stock of the sporting public. Williams was ready to coach GWS this year in their opinion but Sheedy stayed on and Williams cracked it. Reckon he would know more about modern footy than most coaches.

I don't agree, can't I put that out there?

SainterK wrote:I don't agree, can't I put that out there?

Yes but cant people say they dont agree with you? Reckon Kingley would be more worried about win loss if he had one year than Williams who will have 3. Anyway it matters little what we think as Williams is certain to be coach anyway.

I'm with Plugger here. Not much choice at the moment

Choco's previous success, maturity and experience will get him the gig at the Saints - less of a "risk" than the others. Plus - more experienced in managing "behind-the-scenes" matters. I am in the not sure category. His hot-headed attitude is a bit of a worry. He will certainly get respect from the young Saints players, who will need lots of leadership.

It seems that it can't be a worse appointment than our former "process" that selected SW !

magnifisaint wrote:I'm with Plugger here. Not much choice at the moment
So we "settle" on mark?

magnifisaint wrote:I'm with Plugger here. Not much choice at the moment
So we "settle" on mark?
No, we get the best person available… which is probably Williams

As mentioned earlier, his record is neck and neck with Roos who is talked up like a god.

We can't go a year with a temporary coach…

SainterK wrote:So we "settle" on mark?
I reckon we identified him as ideal, aggressively courted and cleared the decks for him.

So what's the delay then?

Dont wanna be seen to be doing a Lyon/Freo... that was a very bad look.