On Hindsight it’s staggering

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mohannair
Club Player

On Hindsight it’s staggering

ONHIND SIGHT, it is difficult to believe that we interviewed Alan Richardson along with other potential candidates & chose Scott Watters to be our Head coach couple of years ago.

Listening to his press conference & again on SEN this morning it is hard to believe that he missed out on getting the senior gig for so many years.

I guess the Collingwood mantra was a hot property & hence we along with Melbourne footy club fell for the Pies assistants (Mark Neeld & Scott Watters)

PS:- Listened to Ken Hinkley & he was fantastic not like their President Kochie. He said that he is not worried abt Saints poaching Alan so late in the season as it happens only once or twice in a decade where the club is forced to remove their head coach such late in the season & he has got no regrets & wished Alan all the best.

noddy
Club Player

Re: On Hindsight it’s staggering

Sociopaths have an aura of confidence and charisma that can be quite persuasive in job interviews.

Image In Richo we trust.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

As someone else suggested, the fact that Ross lyon was prone to being in a media bubble and had a tempestuous relationship with the journos who he seemed to see as an annoyance to him, probably caused us to look very favourably on Watters ability to present amazingly well in front of a group. As a media performer Scott was A grade, he was obviously not as good behind closed doors but that same technique probably won the people who mattered over. Richo looks a little more awkward and intense in front of a lens.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:As someone else suggested, the fact that Ross lyon was prone to being in a media bubble and had a tempestuous relationship with the journos who he seemed to see as an annoyance to him, probably caused us to look very favourably on Watters ability to present amazingly well in front of a group. As a media performer Scott was A grade, he was obviously not as good behind closed doors but that same technique probably won the people who mattered over. Richo looks a little more awkward and intense in front of a lens.
Richo will really grow into the media stuff. He will get much better at it. Give him a couple of years.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
gringo wrote:As someone else suggested, the fact that Ross lyon was prone to being in a media bubble and had a tempestuous relationship with the journos who he seemed to see as an annoyance to him, probably caused us to look very favourably on Watters ability to present amazingly well in front of a group. As a media performer Scott was A grade, he was obviously not as good behind closed doors but that same technique probably won the people who mattered over. Richo looks a little more awkward and intense in front of a lens.
Richo will really grow into the media stuff. He will get much better at it. Give him a couple of years.

Compared to Ross Lyon he looks magnificent. Ross looked like he might have been mentally slow when he started as a senior coach.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Compared to Ross Lyon he looks magnificent. Ross looked like he might have been mentally slow when he started as a senior coach.
I was going to use that as an example. I couldn't find any old tapes.

Rosco is very good now but back then he sounded like he was on rohypnol.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

I know some think it important, but i don't give a rats about how the coach performs for the media.
Oh, but sponsors? Again, who gives a rats - the performance of the team on and off field, along with member numbers and attendance, will determine that.
So the best media performer basically is the one who wins games and develops a good culture. Not some preening, media savvy egomaniac.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:I know some think it important, but i don't give a rats about how the coach performs for the media.
Oh, but sponsors? Again, who gives a rats - the performance of the team on and off field, along with member numbers and attendance, will determine that.
So the best media performer basically is the one who wins games and develops a good culture. Not some preening, media savvy egomaniac.
True he doesn't have to be the best media performer but it shouldn't be a glaring weakness either.

Richo is good enough.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Richo looked like a bloke who really wanted to go and meet his players and get to work.

The way he spoke was not going to win any awards but what he spoke about impressed me a lot. He can stumble and murmur and mutter through pressers if he likes as long as the content is good im happy.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
spert
Saintsational Legend

I'm thinking that with Summers and Pelchin firmly in place there is a definite plan in motion as to how they see the club going forward, they are not going to deviate, and anyone who isn't on the same wavelength is out. I suspect that Watters wanted to do things his way only, outside of the process, and as a result- gone. Richo will no doubt be fully aware of where he fits in as senior coach, and he was absolutely hungry to get a senior AFL coaching gig so will no doubt follow the process to the letter. I think Watters got the gig originally on the back of the Collingwood model which we saw at the time as the way to success, and any assistant to Malthouse in a premiership club was the man to get- Watters would have pushed that hard at his interview.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
desertsaint wrote:I know some think it important, but i don't give a rats about how the coach performs for the media.
True he doesn't have to be the best media performer but it shouldn't be a glaring weakness either.

Richo is good enough.
Shame we couldn't snaffle Harvey out of retirement. What a cabbage.

markp
Saintsational Legend

He comes across as solid and workmanlike, someone who'd build you a quality house on time and on budget. Watters has charm and charisma and is more of slick real estate agent type who'd talk you into buying a house. Lyon is a hard-nosed property developer type who'd screw all his sub contractors down hard.... GT might sell you a share in a fancy apartment development that never gets built and do you out of your deposit.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't find it staggering.

All was good for a year under Scott, then he changed his approach...

Alan needs to brave from the get go, he can't embrace the veterans and then realise that the future lies elsewhere some time into his journey.

If I was him, I'd be giving them respect but reduced responsibility from the beginning.

oldie60
Club Player

The theme of embracing the veterans could be due to the damage caused by SW asking them to stop celebrating their past efforts and accepting mediocrity. He's going to rebuild but may also have to rebuild a faith and belief in our veterans that they still have a valuable role to play especially with the younger guys coming through.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I don't find it staggering.

Alan needs to brave from the get go, he can't embrace the veterans and then realise that the future lies elsewhere some time into his journey.

If I was him, I'd be giving them respect but reduced responsibility from the beginning.

You keep going on about the senior players. isnt your future captain one of them or is the problem only Rooy, Lenny , CJ and Joey. I reckon he will do what SW should have done. Include them in decision making because they will help the younger guys if that is the case.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

You keep going on about the senior players. isnt your future captain one of them or is the problem only Rooy, Lenny , CJ and Joey. I reckon he will do what SW should have done. Include them in decision making because they will help the younger guys if that is the case.
I don't understand this whole 'set' against Roo and Joey.

Neither of them is dumb nor naïve.
They both know that this particular team is not going to be competing for the premiership in the time they have left.
Therefore it make absolutely no sense to me to paint them in the light that they 'cracked the shytes' because Watters changed his tack from contending to rebuilding.

I believe they, along with Lenny and all the other 'senior players' would more than willingly 'buy in' to the 'mentoring' of the younger players for a future tilt at the flag.

If Watters lost them it is, IMHO, because he failed to enlist them in the task.

What better 'mentors' could the young guys get than these Club stalwarts (some even champions) who got so agonizingly close to the main prize?
They know what it takes to get there - no need to denigrate their efforts because they didn't quite win it all.
Far better to utilize their experience for the future than to portray them as 'failures'.

From the outside looking in it seems that Watters felt the need to trash any achievements of the playing group under the Lyon era' - something a coach confident in his own abilities wouldn't feel the need to do (again IMHO).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I don't understand this whole 'set' against Roo and Joey.

They both know that this particular team is not going to be competing for the premiership in the time they have left.
Therefore it make absolutely no sense to me to paint them in the light that they 'cracked the shytes' because Watters changed his tack from contending to rebuilding.

I believe they, along with Lenny and all the other 'senior players' would more than willingly 'buy in' to the 'mentoring' of the younger players for a future tilt at the flag.

What better 'mentors' could the young guys get than these Club stalwarts (some even champions) who got so agonizingly close to the main prize?
They know what it takes to get there - no need to denigrate their efforts because they didn't quite win it all.
Far better to utilize their experience for the future than to portray them as 'failures'.

From the outside looking in it seems that Watters felt the need to trash any achievements of the playing group under the Lyon era' - something a coach confident in his own abilities wouldn't feel the need to do (again IMHO).

100% correct and exactly what happened with SW. Also the senior players know a lot a footy and under RL were involved in certain aspects of the game as RL knew that sometimes players know more than the coach. SW knew more than anyone. Well he must have because the senior players had little imput.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: I don't understand this whole 'set' against Roo and Joey.

Already looking like Richo is taking a more inclusive approach :)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 6759243729

NEW St Kilda coach Alan Richardson has thrown down the gauntlet to his veteran players to lead the Saints' rebuild.

Still excited about his appointment, Richardson said the Saints senior players would be critical in setting the standards on and off the field.

"They are just an incredibly important asset," Richardson told SEN this morning.

"They will certainly be the drivers of the standards, they will be the guys that will need to lead really strongly and set a fantastic example for these younger guys.

"These younger guy will struggle to become the players that the St Kilda Football Club needs them to become if not for fantastic example and leadership from (Lenny) Hayes, (Leigh) Montagna, (Nick) Riewoldt and (Sam) Fisher)."

mohannair
Club Player

Good call Gringo. I agree

mohannair
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Yes he will SaintPav, he used to work for SEN during the final series so that will help. He performed better than Peter Summer last night.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

100% correct and exactly what happened with SW. Also the senior players know a lot a footy and under RL were involved in certain aspects of the game as RL knew that sometimes players know more than the coach. SW knew more than anyone. Well he must have because the senior players had little imput.

How badly did the senior guys dislike Warters?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

How badly did the senior guys dislike Warters?

I honestly have no idea. Im unsure any would have really disliked him but probably didnt like him. Im also unsure it was only senior players who had no affection for him.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

mohannair wrote:ONHIND SIGHT, it is difficult to believe that we interviewed Alan Richardson along with other potential candidates & chose Scott Watters to be our Head coach couple of years ago.

Listening to his press conference & again on SEN this morning it is hard to believe that he missed out on getting the senior gig for so many years.

I guess the Collingwood mantra was a hot property & hence we along with Melbourne footy club fell for the Pies assistants (Mark Neeld & Scott Watters)

PS:- Listened to Ken Hinkley & he was fantastic not like their President Kochie. He said that he is not worried abt Saints poaching Alan so late in the season as it happens only once or twice in a decade where the club is forced to remove their head coach such late in the season & he has got no regrets & wished Alan all the best.

#1 Ryder fan
paddy
Club Player

I think Scott sold the senior players a lie... or at least a naiive fantasy...

That being that we can rebuild and stay a contender at the same time, he realised this wasn't possible and lost the senior group through sending mixed messages...

Either way, I don't think he was terrible, just the wrong fit for us based on our current position... good luck to him I say.... perhaps he will go to Port and then Kochie will have nothing to whine about.