Matt Scharenberg

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Matt Scharenberg

SinCitySainter wrote:Scharenburg could be a replacement for Sam Fisher and Billings could be the next Stevie J.

I would be happy with either of those results from a pick 3.

i remember at the start of the year boyd was ranked first then saish and then scharenberg...aish was likened to marc murphy and was said to be a beter player at the same age as carlton's gibbs.....scharenberg was likened to bj....gibbs and bj were both no 1 picks......kelly was fourth, sheed next....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sainter27
Club Player

With Richardson the new coach, and with his IP from PA as the Head of Coaching
he would would have great knowledgeof the draft. Do you guys think he might influence
who we take?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

sainter27 wrote:With Richardson the new coach, and with his IP from PA as the Head of Coaching
he would would have great knowledgeof the draft. Do you guys think he might influence
who we take?

i would think so.....the two top sa boys would be on his radar one would hope....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
oldie60
Club Player

To be quite honest he will be told by Mr Moneyball Pelchen who to pick because he has a strategy. Richo even used the strategy word during the press conference. If he's lucky the Pelican will let him lick the spoon when he's finished mixing his strategy.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Richo may have some inside info re Aish, Ice Berg, Dumont etc. it may just sway a decision either way, we'll see.

Goddard Magic
Club Player

Injured?

SuperDuper
Club Player

Don't understand the HS article. Who cares if he is not ready for round 1??? He is not being recruited for next year.

If he is best available... you get him. Laughable to say he will slide outside top 10

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

You'd have to think he's too good to knock back at pick 6 if you're a Pies recruiter. With his injury concerns I can understand a few other elite rated kids (Kelly, Billings, Aish & obviously Boyd) being favoured but the next rung are a big step down from Berg. Perhaps his feet injuries are worse than first thought and he does slide significantly.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Scharenberg sounds like a croc right now. Let someone else gamble on him, there should be enough good players at pick #3 to let him slide to someone else.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

As good as Scharenberg may be, we really need a genuine midfielder. That's why it's disappointing we won't get Kelly.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Scharenberg will be the player of this draft.
Dont be fooled or put off by stressies in his foot.
Who cares if he doesnt play round 1 next year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Scharenberg will be the player of this draft.

Have you seem him play much Con? What type of player is he? Would he be a good fit for us?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:Scharenberg sounds like a croc right now. Let someone else gamble on him, there should be enough good players at pick #3 to let him slide to someone else.
Great logic. Much like Judd was a croc cos of his shoulders at the same age.. Good we let him slide too wasn't it?!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He's got some minor foot injury issues.

I like him as he's a German like Roo and Loewe.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SuperDuper
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Have you seem him play much Con? What type of player is he? Would he be a good fit for us?
A `good fit` ??

you mean like someone who is really good at playing AFL? That seems a good fit for a football club to me...

how many imes must it be said... we will take BEST AVAILABLE at no. 3

We know what happened when richmond, for example, wanted to take `best available midfielder`

we will not take that path....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

A `good fit` ??

you mean like someone who is really good at playing AFL? That seems a good fit for a football club to me...

We know what happened when richmond, for example, wanted to take `best available midfielder`

So if a ruckman was available at 3 and he was clearly the best player at that pick we would take him? It seems pick one is obvious and then the next 4 or 5 players seem very level on ability so if thats the case you would take the best fit for us.

SuperDuper
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

A `good fit` ??

So if a ruckman was available at 3 and he was clearly the best player at that pick we would take him? It seems pick one is obvious and then the next 4 or 5 players seem very level on ability so if thats the case you would take the best fit for us.
it may seem to you that they are even after no. 1 or 2... hopefully our recruiting team, who have looked at players extensively, have been able to identify the best player at 3...

It does not help us to get a midfielder for sandy

as for your ruck example.. we all know rucks are exceptions in many of these discussions due to the limited nature of their options...like the wicket keeeper incricket... having said that, a few cubs are wishing they went for Grundy last year...

anyway.. no ruck in the mix at 3 this year... hopefully our recruiters have identified the best talent there.. time will tell
Last edited by SuperDuper on Sun 17 Nov 2013 8:14am, edited 1 time in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:As good as Scharenberg may be, we really need a genuine midfielder. That's why it's disappointing we won't get Kelly.
I agree that we should concentrate on midfielders.
Hopefully we may still end up with Kelly, who knows?

But even if we don't, Billings sounds like he could play midfield too - maybe not permanently right away?

The thing about Billings is he seems to cope well under pressure - he's had dedicated top peer defenders to deal with and still managed to rack up 25 possessions on average against them (these are midfield numbers, mostly playing as a forward - which is amazing!).
Having to deal with defenders and performing well under pressure/close scrutiny may indicate that he could handle a tag - if he ends up playing midfield? That's a big tick!
We could do with a clever goal-kicking midfielder.

Our recruiters will get it right - one way or the other - maybe it's Scharenberg?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

What does all that have to do with anything?

The guy goes to the gym and he's not a moron.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I watched the full carnival last year and Schazza was the the clear stand out. I thought Colquhoun from Port was excellent too. Schaz was underage but still looked a level up from every other SA player. He plays as a running defender but runs the ball end to end. He is Goddard like but didn't look as slow as BJ but no speed machine either.

His over head marking is like Fisher but the role he played was probably more Goddard like as he didn't really stand his man but ran off him to use his superior skills as an offensive weapon. Works hard to spread, clean skills, confident and multi faceted.

runs the full length of the ground to link with the ball carrier then seemed to be all ready in position when the ball came back. He could play midfield like BJ could but it sort of wastes his strengths possibly. He can kick goals and looks as good forward as back.

He will be a very high level footballer and possibly a superstar. He is a low risk option IMO.Kelly and Aish could both be anything, those type can get a bit lost at the AFL level both remind me of Scully and Trengove- skilled but a bit one dimensional.

Billings and Schazza are the guys with a bit of x factor in my opinion and as such are a little more appealing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I watched the full carnival last year and Schazza was the the clear stand out. I thought Colquhoun from Port was excellent too. Schaz was underage but still looked a level up from every other SA player. He plays as a running defender but runs the ball end to end. He is Goddard like but didn't look as slow as BJ but no speed machine either.

His over head marking is like Fisher but the role he played was probably more Goddard like as he didn't really stand his man but ran off him to use his superior skills as an offensive weapon. Works hard to spread, clean skills, confident and multi faceted.

runs the full length of the ground to link with the ball carrier then seemed to be all ready in position when the ball came back. He could play midfield like BJ could but it sort of wastes his strengths possibly. He can kick goals and looks as good forward as back.

He will be a very high level footballer and possibly a superstar. He is a low risk option IMO.Kelly and Aish could both be anything, those type can get a bit lost at the AFL level both remind me of Scully and Trengove- skilled but a bit one dimensional.

Billings and Schazza are the guys with a bit of x factor in my opinion and as such are a little more appealing.

I would pick Aish over every player in the draft bar Boyd but we are going for Billings obviously. Big risk IMO. Aish reminds me of a Joey typr player not a Scully or Trengove where as Billings could be a TDL type. See how mentioning names of footballers can make you think they can or cannot play.

Anyway I hope Billings ends up like a Johnson type player. Time will tell. Shazza will end up at the Pies and they again may end up doing very well in the trade and draft period as they did last year.

SuperDuper
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

I would pick Aish over every player in the draft bar Boyd but we are going for Billings obviously.
I simply dont know why people keep saying it is obvious that we are taking Billings.
Emma Quayle does not know who we are taking.

A meme just spread through forums with no substance, except of course that Billings is one of the best in the draft and we will be looking at him hard...

Anyway... we will see.. i just dont think anything is `obvious` right now

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I would pick Aish over every player in the draft bar Boyd but we are going for Billings obviously. Big risk IMO. Aish reminds me of a Joey typr player not a Scully or Trengove where as Billings could be a TDL type. See how mentioning names of footballers can make you think they can or cannot play.

Anyway I hope Billings ends up like a Johnson type player. Time will tell. Shazza will end up at the Pies and they again may end up doing very well in the trade and draft period as they did last year.
Fair point but Aish is little and watching him play in the GF against men put me off him a bit. I might have had over the top expectations but he was hardly noticeable. Being small doesn't help that's why I compared Aish and Kelly to those Melbourne guys who have both stayed small or even a Jordie Gisberts who still looks like a 10 year old.

Billings could be TDL but his body type is much bigger and should struggle to keep weight off like Schnides more than struggle to get over 65 kgs. If TDL could build his body up to be like Paul Chapman he might be a more effective player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Fair point but Aish is little and watching him play in the GF against men put me off him a bit. I might have had over the top expectations but he was hardly noticeable. Being small doesn't help that's why I compared Aish and Kelly to those Melbourne guys who have both stayed small or even a Jordie Gisberts who still looks like a 10 year old.

Billings could be TDL but his body type is much bigger and should struggle to keep weight off like Schnides more than struggle to get over 65 kgs. If TDL could build his body up to be like Paul Chapman he might be a more effective player.

Aish is at least playing with men. Most of the other guys are just playing against kids their own age. Aish wouldnt be any smaller than Joey when he was drafted.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

My preference is Scharenberg. I dont care about his feet.
Pretty normal injury to have at that age.

Ill be happy with Billings but hes closer to a Steve Motlop or Marc Murphy than a Steve Johnson.
He will never be as big mean or tough as Stevie J.
Might be as skilful.