A good read about the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Roo12

A good read about the Saints

I enjoyed this article from a passionate Saints fan.........

http://www.lazypeanut.com/a-saintly-curse.html

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: A good read about the Saints

Archie f***** Fraser

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
spert
Saintsational Legend

A good read, and echoes what so many Sainters reflect on. We really have been a badly-run club over the years, with short-term thinking to the forefront of everything. The on-field positives of last 10 years or so, never resulted in any robust financial situation for the club. I have a strong feeling that Summers and Pelchin have a clear vision of what the club should achieve on-field, and also the people who will make that happen. I hope the president and board get it right with the CEO appointment soon.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

A good read and describes what it is really like to be a Saints fan. Still can't see how we could possibly go back to Morrabbin as much as I would like it

I love this club
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

We have to!

PADDLEPOP1000
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:A good read, and echoes what so many Sainters reflect on. We really have been a badly-run club over the years, with short-term thinking to the forefront of everything. The on-field positives of last 10 years or so, never resulted in any robust financial situation for the club. I have a strong feeling that Summers and Pelchin have a clear vision of what the club should achieve on-field, and also the people who will make that happen. I hope the president and board get it right with the CEO appointment soon.
Well that's just because they are "currently" apart of the club..

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I whole heartedly agree with everything written in that piece. The final paragraph had me in stitches.

But this is right on money. FFS, I hope the club comes to its senses.
The Saints home base should be Moorabbin. The club needs to bite the bullet and move back to Moorabbin, redevelop it and make it home again. The players want it, the fans want it, everyone wants it. Treat Seaford as a reserves training facility or do whatever you have to but there's no point compounding a bad decision by living with it for another 20 years. Get out of it. It’s a sunk cost. Put the Seaford era in the rearview mirror and get back to where the club belongs. Get the AFL and the Kingston council on board and make it happen, there isn’t a Saints fan alive who doesn’t want the club back at Moorabbin. If the St.Kilda Board doesn’t have that as priority number 1, we need a new Board.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
kalsaint
Club Player

Culture smulture. Call it what you like but this does need to be strengthened to gain success. Read Ross Lyon's days.

When we get some success and get off the strangle hold called Etihad, then maybe we can afford to move back to Moorabbin. I can only hope for this.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It's not that good.

Moving to Seaford has been far from a success, but the club were in a bind at the time. We're not the only club to have been forced out by their local council. Take Essendon for example.

Move back to Moorabin. It's a sunk cost! What's that? The club is still paying for it but maybe the club should just default on its debts as well.

It's not that simple Peanut.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:I whole heartedly agree with everything written in that piece. The final paragraph had me in stitches.

But this is right on money. FFS, I hope the club comes to its senses.
there isn’t a Saints fan alive who doesn’t want the club back at Moorabbin. If the St.Kilda Board doesn’t have that as priority number 1, we need a new Board.
Gotta say, he's not speaking for me…
I couldn't give a damn if our training facility is in Moorabbin, Seaford or Warnambool…

Geelong is further away from Melbourne's coffee shops and nightclubs, they are doing fine.

I grew up watching us play at Moorabbin, but have no interest in seeing us get back there… and talk of priority #1 - what a load of crap… we've got bigger issues than Seafood.

The training base location moaning is just a crutch…

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Gotta say, he's not speaking for me…
I couldn't give a damn if our training facility is in Moorabbin, Seaford or Warnambool…

Geelong is further away from Melbourne's coffee shops and nightclubs, they are doing fine.

I grew up watching us play at Moorabbin, but have no interest in seeing us get back there… and talk of priority #1 - what a load of crap… we've got bigger issues than Seafood.

It's stupid and simple to assert that the current board's performance should be assessed on whether the club heads back to Moorabbin. It should be assessed on improving the current situation, amongst other things.

Peanuts caustic rant on Zac Dawson is just malicious and pointless.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Geelong is further away from Melbourne's coffee shops and nightclubs, they are doing fine.
That's because it's based in the heartland of where the club is and represents - the town of GEELONG. Not sure if their fans would appreciate them being located in Melbourne. Would be about as popular with their fans as when they had to play games at Waverley.

Come on, let's be honest here. The Seaford move has proved to be an absolute disaster. I am yet to hear one person say anything posotive about it since the move two years ago. TWO YEARS AGO, no less. It's in a dreadful location. The club should have at least pushed for the Junction Oval when it decided to relocate, not the Bermuda f****** Triangle.

Please, tell how there is a future for us at Seaford. Enlighten me!

lennyhayesisgod

SaintPav wrote:
dragit wrote: Gotta say, he's not speaking for me…

It's stupid and simple to assert that the current board's performance should be assessed on whether the club heads back to Moorabbin. It should be assessed on improving the current situation, amongst other things.

Peanuts caustic rant on Zac Dawson is just malicious and pointless.

bigger issues than Seafood?

Perhaps a steak

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
dragit wrote:Geelong is further away from Melbourne's coffee shops and nightclubs, they are doing fine.
That's because it's based in the heartland of where the club is and represents - the town of GEELONG. Not sure if their fans would appreciate them being located in Melbourne. Would be about as popular with their fans as when they had to play games at Waverley.

Come on, let's be honest here. The Seaford move has proved to be an absolute disaster. I am yet to hear one person say anything posotive about it since the move two years ago. TWO YEARS AGO, no less. It's in a dreadful location. The club should have at least pushed for the Junction Oval when it decided to relocate, not the Bermuda f****** Triangle.

Disaster? The only negative things I have heard is that there are no coffee shops and the older players have to drive a little further... big whoop.

I am not a Seaford supporter, neither a Moorabbin man... couldn't care less really, but we have just spent what 10 million dollars on a new facility, walking out on that prematurely would be ridiculous for the sake of a few old timers that can't walk down to watch training anymore.

Junction oval is a great location if we are going for heart land, I doubt we could ever get back in though.

If we do end up back at Moorabbin, great... But to class it our number 1 priority is laughable. We have a state of the art facility 30 minutes down the road.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

+1 dragit

I'm as shocked as you :)

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

Disaster? The only negative things I have heard is that there are no coffee shops and the older players have to drive a little further... big whoop.

I am not a Seaford supporter, neither a Moorabbin man... couldn't care less really, but we have just spent what 10 million dollars on a new facility, walking out on that prematurely would be ridiculous for the sake of a few old timers that can't walk down to watch training anymore.

Junction oval is a great location if we are going for heart land, I doubt we could ever get back in though.

If we do end up back at Moorabbin, great... But to class it our number 1 priority is laughable. We have a state of the art facility 30 minutes down the road.
Look, I agree it would seem rash to just walk out on a newly developed facility for the sake of nostalgia. Apart from inconveniencing some players who have to drive a little further, my other concern is that it's not favourable with the supporters. It attracts far fewer fans. There is no Social Club there. Surely this has proved to be somewhat of a headache for the club's membership drive.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Have we asked what guys like Curren, Roberton, Siposs etc think of seaford?

Reckon we need to adjust our focus, kids won't mind cause they didn't move.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

dragit wrote: If we do end up back at Moorabbin, great... But to class it our number 1 priority is laughable. We have a state of the art facility 30 minutes down the road.
nope sorry - no1 or not - its still a major problem that we shouldnt be having
We have three homes - playing, training, and Linton, and that is simply not sustainable
And I have always questioned "state of the art" its just a slogan expecially when compared to other facilities, it was behind the eight ball even before the opening.

Seeya
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't Hawthorn have 3 homes?
MCG, Linda Crescent and Waverley

It hasn't seemed to stop them achieving the ultimate.

Richmond has 3 homes
MCG, Punt Road and a brand new training facility in Craigieburn (certainly not their heartland)

Collingwood has many homes
MCG, Lickar$e Centre, Victoria Park

Essendope have at least 4 homes
MCG/Etihad, Windy Hill, Dr Ageless Botox Clinic, new 'state of the art' facility

Why is it that only we have a problem with 'multiple homes'?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
dragit wrote: If we do end up back at Moorabbin, great... But to class it our number 1 priority is laughable. We have a state of the art facility 30 minutes down the road.
nope sorry - no1 or not - its still a major problem that we shouldnt be having
We have three homes - playing, training, and Linton, and that is simply not sustainable
And I have always questioned "state of the art" its just a slogan expecially when compared to other facilities, it was behind the eight ball even before the opening.
Have you seen what we were using at Moorabbin?

The antique medicine balls were beautiful.

I dare say we will look to eventually move back to Moorabbin, but I imagine it would be 10 years away with planning & building...

I reckon the #1 priority is probably getting a CEO.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Why is it that only we have a problem with 'multiple homes'?
I guess it's an easy target when trying to explain our low membership numbers... which really are mainly aligned with on field success.

Are people really not buying memberships now because we train at Seaford? Maybe a few, but surely not many... that would be sad. "I'm only signing up of you train in my neighbourhood..."?

lloyd21
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Doesn't Hawthorn have 3 homes?
MCG, Linda Crescent and Waverley

It hasn't seemed to stop them achieving the ultimate.

Richmond has 3 homes
MCG, Punt Road and a brand new training facility in Craigieburn (certainly not their heartland)

Collingwood has many homes
MCG, Lickar$e Centre, Victoria Park, Goschs Paddock :D

Essendope have at least 4 homes
MCG/Etihad, Windy Hill, Dr Ageless Botox Clinic, new 'state of the art' facility

Why is it that only we have a problem with 'multiple homes'?
Melbourne have 3 also

Hawthorn have 3. Waverley. Glenferrie. ..but Caroline Springs is where they make their money :D

Personally would never ever give Seaford away as it is the gateway to the new frontier of the Mornington Peninsula
which should have been worked a hell of a lot better than it has marketing wise , membership really poor for a team
Win / loss record last decade
Admin has been the major failure of the saints. 8-)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

who gives a s***..I like our Jumper :)

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:who gives a s***..I like our Jumper :)
Which one ?... We've had a few

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
The Fireman wrote:who gives a s***..I like our Jumper :)
Which one ?... We've had a few
All were good...at least 10 times better than the pee and poo offering :)