Runners put on notice.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperSaint66
Club Player

Runners put on notice.

Pleased to see the AFL is looking at the role of runners during games.
Options include cutting back to one, or allowing them on the ground only at stoppages.
It's always annoyed me the way they linger on the ground, blocking and coaching. Even our own club!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: Runners put on notice.

I reckon they should be banned full stop.

I'd prefer players to play naturally without being coached constantly throughout the game. Would probably prolong the careers of some old guys whose experience would suddenly be worth its weight in gold.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I reckon they should be banned full stop.

I'd prefer players to play naturally without being coached constantly throughout the game. Would probably prolong the careers of some old guys whose experience would suddenly be worth its weight in gold.
Good point.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

If I were in charge the first thing I would do would be to get rid of runners and waterboys all together, there are way too many people on the field IMO.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

with over 100 rotations a match and 3 breaks in play it's redundant in today's game.

Get rid of them

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:If I were in charge the first thing I would do would be to get rid of runners and waterboys all together, there are way too many people on the field IMO.
There is no way that waterboys will go...There'd be OH&S issues with that, I'd reckon.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:If I were in charge the first thing I would do would be to get rid of runners and waterboys all together, there are way too many people on the field IMO.
I get waterboys. I mean, that's really a health and wellbeing issue for the players.

But runners?

It's just way to overcoach the game.

Let them play. And if they haven't learn how to play by game day, then stiff! If they want to flood back and change tactic with 5 minutes to go - let them work it our for themselves out on the ground.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I must miss all this in a game. yes i see them after a goal but who cares then but during actual play all I see is the thing that matters, the players and the ball. Makes no difference to me who is on the ground. if they get in the way its a free anyway.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:But runners?

Let them play. And if they haven't learn how to play by game day, then stiff! If they want to flood back and change tactic with 5 minutes to go - let them work it our for themselves out on the ground.
Explain how a coach drags a player for "reprogramming" without runners.

The AFL are limiting the amount of interchanges and now considering limiting runners too.

How about letting one rule settle before bringing in another.

loris
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I must miss all this in a game. yes i see them after a goal but who cares then but during actual play all I see is the thing that matters, the players and the ball. Makes no difference to me who is on the ground. if they get in the way its a free anyway.
Well you must be short sighted if you never noticed our 'albino' looking runner in Lyon's days at the Saints. Got in the way of the play on at least 3 occasions I can recall & Saints had frees awarded against them.

Luckily Lyon took him to Freo with him................ and yep.................. you've guessed it......... he's been pinged for the same sins, now at Freo.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:

The AFL are limiting the amount of interchanges and now considering limiting runners too.

Yeah, not sure how they'd drag someone without a runner. But I'm sure they could work something out.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

No waterboys... Oh god... :roll: :roll:

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

Yeah, not sure how they'd drag someone without a runner. But I'm sure they could work something out.
Maybe they can announce it on the PA system

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Maybe they can use post it notes !!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
ctqs
Club Player

Really crack down on them getting near the play or limit the amount of minutes they can spend on a field each quarter or limit them to coming on once every 10 minutes or something like that. Or if they want to be really bold, every time a runner is on the field, a player has to come off, so the team will be one man down.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Player Implants - problem solved
or go low -tech and just hold up a player number sign at the interchange gate
Maybe an app where spectators vote off players - votes to be displayed on the scoreboard

I could run this game

Seeya