Rookie Draft 27/11/13 - Official discussion thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

savatage
SS Life Member

Re: Rookie Draft 27/11/13 - Official discussion thread

evertonfc wrote:
savatage wrote:
evertonfc wrote:This has been an excellent trade-national draft-rookie draft period for the Saints.

We've completely rejuvenated our list. Great signs for the future.
Absolutely killed it this year!
...let's just say it was about time.

But I felt we plugged enough games into the bottom half of the list last season to ensure they would be battle-ready for 2014.

Add those kids to our trades, and we have a decent 22 that will perform very strongly (in consideration of what our ultimate aim is).

If we can get another 10+ games through Bruce, Dunstan, Billings and Acres, and hopefully 5+ games through Weller and Templeton, it'll be a great development season, with the prospect of another strong year of picks in 2014.

All things being equal, we'll have completely turned over our list in that time with a mixture of elite talent and competitive prospects.

Feel we're a bit light on for long-term top-quality KPP forwards but have a feeling we'll see some come onto the open market in coming years. There's no way GWS will be able to keep FOUR first-round power forwards on their list, for example.

Great time to be a Saints' fan, IMO.
Next year is the key forward draft anyway. It's going to be exciting to watch Sandringham this upcoming year!

savatage
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote: Ahmad Saad continues to train with us, which is good news. I'm sure we'll consider him for 2015 as his ban expires.
Not fussed about Ahmed. Great kid - but he's not up to the standard IMO.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i disagree on Saad ... i think he is up to standard , this year he was suffering from the second year blues (happens to lots and lots of players) hopefully he does get back into the AFL and can restart what has been put on hold

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
savatage
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i disagree on Saad ... i think he is up to standard , this year he was suffering from the second year blues (happens to lots and lots of players) hopefully he does get back into the AFL and can restart what has been put on hold
Cool, agree to disagree on that. He couldn't even get a kick at VFL level this year. Showed to me a complete lack of understanding of the game.
Last edited by savatage on Wed 27 Nov 2013 12:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
evertonfc wrote: Feel we're a bit light on for long-term top-quality KPP forwards but have a feeling we'll see some come onto the open market in coming years. There's no way GWS will be able to keep FOUR first-round power forwards on their list, for example.

Next year is the key forward draft anyway. It's going to be exciting to watch Sandringham this upcoming year!
Absolutely. Exciting to see who pops around around the 5-10 mark, which is where I expect our first pick to be.

At VFL level, I do wonder what Cameron Conlon will get up to in the next 12 months...he could still be a very good AFL player (speculatively, of course).
savatage wrote:
evertonfc wrote: Ahmad Saad continues to train with us, which is good news. I'm sure we'll consider him for 2015 as his ban expires.
I rate him higher than TDL and Milera, unless Milera gets his body to the required standard. And with Milne gone, and a question mark over Schneider's fitness, we're short in quality finishers. Shane Savage certainly helps, however.

I wouldn't write Saad off completely just yet, but the others have a huge head start to knock him out of contention for 2015.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

savatage
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:
savatage wrote:
evertonfc wrote: Feel we're a bit light on for long-term top-quality KPP forwards but have a feeling we'll see some come onto the open market in coming years. There's no way GWS will be able to keep FOUR first-round power forwards on their list, for example.

Absolutely. Exciting to see who pops around around the 5-10 mark, which is where I expect our first pick to be.

I do wonder what Cameron Conlon will get up to in the next 12 months...he could still be a very good AFL player.
savatage wrote:
I rate him higher than TDL and Milera, unless Milera get his body to the required standard. And with Milne gone, and a question mark over Schneider's fitness, we're short in quality finishers. Shane Savage certainly helps, however.

I wouldn't write Saad off completely just yet, but the others have a huge head start to knock him out of contention for 2015.
Terry has more AFL ability in one finger than the other two combined - if he actually had a physical side to his game, he would be an AFL footballer...as it stands.....

Don't get me started on TDL. He was a mate of the coaches & wouldn't have gotten picked otherwise...although again at VFL level he performed a lot better than Ahmed.

savatage
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote: I rate him higher than TDL and Milera, unless Milera gets his body to the required standard. And with Milne gone, and a question mark over Schneider's fitness, we're short in quality finishers. Shane Savage certainly helps, however.
Don't forget about Darren Minchington - who will be better than the lot of them IMO.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
evertonfc wrote: I rate him higher than TDL and Milera, unless Milera gets his body to the required standard. And with Milne gone, and a question mark over Schneider's fitness, we're short in quality finishers. Shane Savage certainly helps, however.
Don't forget about Darren Minchington - who will be better than the lot of them IMO.
Well, we certainly need him to be!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I'm hoping for...

First pick - Eli Templeton or James Battersby.

Second pick - Maverick Weller.

I think we'll get a choice of Battersby or Templeton with our first pick. Both are good choices. I'll take Battersby, purely because he's played so much senior footy (http://www.news.com.au/national/sturts- ... m-breached).

And I don't think anyone else will touch Weller now that he's so publicly committed to us. He offers tremendous upside from the rookie list, where he gets zero guarantees.

good pick :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
savatage wrote:No Darren Jolly makes it even better!
Yep
one ex=filth is enough....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
jimmy_slats
Club Player

kp83 wrote:
jimmy_slats wrote:Quick someone say something negitive!!!
Can't believe we got rid of Benny Mac & Dal!

:wink: :wink: :wink: :sarcasm:
Fewww for a second there i was starting to feel optimistic haha

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
footynut
Club Player

Next year is the key forward draft anyway. It's going to be exciting to watch Sandringham this upcoming year![/quote]

At VFL level, I do wonder what Cameron Conlon will get up to in the next 12 months...he could still be a very good AFL player (speculatively, of course).

[quote="savatage"][quote="evertonfc"]

I was looking at Cameron Conlon this year, but think it's a smart idea to watch this guys play at VFL (hopefully). If he gets his body right he could be a bargin next year, as he appears to have all the attributes to play AFL.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So Eli Templeton has a 15.6 beep test which is excellent.

Also had a quick look at the draft combine results/records and noticed Spencer White has a 100cm running jump- one of the highest ever.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
evertonfc wrote:I'm hoping for...

First pick - Eli Templeton or James Battersby.

Second pick - Maverick Weller.

I think we'll get a choice of Battersby or Templeton with our first pick. Both are good choices. I'll take Battersby, purely because he's played so much senior footy (http://www.news.com.au/national/sturts- ... m-breached).

And I don't think anyone else will touch Weller now that he's so publicly committed to us. He offers tremendous upside from the rookie list, where he gets zero guarantees.
good pick :wink:
I need to get a job as a recruiter ;)

Seriously, two great picks by the Saints.

In fact, I agree with every single trade, national draft selection and rookie draft selection. I mean, they've all been common-sense deals.

Personally, I'd have pruned out a couple of extra senior players at trade who are on stupendous coin and seem pretty content to wallow in their off-field exploits, or in some cases, conquests.

(Given Sam Fisher turns 32 next year, I'd have been pretty keen to see what GWS were offering. Yes, I'd have done a straight swap for Bruce in order to keep the draft pick, but the club didn't want to. For the record, I'd have taken young WA forward Jonanthon Marsh with that pick. He ended up at Collingwood. No big deal, however - a 10/10 trade-ND-PSD-RD period for mine.)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rookie draft Thur 28

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:where's the kiwi kid fit in...thought he was type b
Good question. Presumably Baker-Thomas comes over here this year to train with the side? Or is he still too young - maybe he's another twelve months away?
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-12-1 ... e-the-move

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint6709
Club Player

footynut wrote:Next year is the key forward draft anyway. It's going to be exciting to watch Sandringham this upcoming year!

savatage wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

I was looking at Cameron Conlon this year, but think it's a smart idea to watch this guys play at VFL (hopefully). If he gets his body right he could be a bargin next year, as he appears to have all the attributes to play AFL.
Anyone seen this guy play this year ??

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think this should be a thread of its own, for 2014 rookie draft. We will probably be picking for all four rookie spot.