shut up eddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

shut up eddy

you flog...mind your own business

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/p ... act.edu.au

"COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire has lashed cash-strapped clubs for "blowing" money on overseas pre-season camps.

McGuire was speaking after the Magpies announced a $5.2 million profit for 2013, a sum the club has largely attributed to its 80,000-strong membership.

The Pies also revealed they had increased football department spending this year to $22.5 million.

He said some clubs had become complacent and that reliance on league funding could lead to "a cookie-cutter franchise for clubs run by a central organisation"

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: shut up eddy

He has a point. Is Colorado worth it?

Rooey loves it cause it's closer to his Texas Ranch but that's not really that important

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

As I understand it, the Colorado trip is paid for by sponsors and by winning the Virgin Film award.
So, it is not relevant as that money from the sponsors to go on the trip and fund players/officials would not have been earned if there was no trip and the prize money would have been used for something else for the players.

I would just like officials from other clubs to not comment on other clubs...I know I ask a lot.

saint6
Club Player

yes eddie - if we got to play most of our games at the mcg we might be in a better position financially. Are we meant to sit back and not have the advantages that the favoured clubs get given by nature of the draw and their stadium deals?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm tipping most of the money pouring into Collingwood comes from social benefits and or Ill gotten gains so in reality we are only getting some of our own back.

StevieSaint
Club Player

fat flog

GO SAINTS GO
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Yeah Eddie riding on the wave of 20 years of AFL assisted fixtures and favours.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
mullet
Saintsational Legend

I still dont understand how he managed to close down an iconic part of melbourne (olympic park) because they couldnt be bothered walking down the end of the street. A stadium that belonged to the public. Kicked the VIS out of their home and had them moved. All for a classy training venue.

Oh thats right he made himself a token board member of Athletics Australia so he could get all the info that suited him.
Done alot for athletics hasnt he.

Didnt he go o/s with andy a couple of months ago too.

Watch out he may take over from Andy and all us poor clubs will be gonski

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

It's none of his business what other clubs do with their money. Collingwood is not the AFL

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

He's right to a degree.

I don't agree with the 'no overseas camps' part. Because clearly, this type of thing is where the great divide causes the most problems.

No club wants money for the sake of having money! They want money so they don't get left behind the rich clubs in areas such as coaching, facilities and training. So this is exactly what the money from the AFL should be for - to ensure that all clubs can compete on-field.

Clearly, he seems happy for 'equalisation' - as long as it doesn't mean mean anyone gets equal with Collingwood!

As for the 'cookie cutter' comment - I agree with him. But I don't see it as a bad thing. It's basically 'cookie cutter' stuff anyway, so why not just be done with it and remove the back office of every club? Just let them play footy, let the fans worry about footy, and let the AFL make sure the books balance?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Eddy is like a wind up monkey. Wind him up and watch him go.

Saintsational Legend

Eddie just being Eddie.

Thinks just because he has a radio show he can talk any s*** that pops up in his little pea brain. Besides the fact that it's none of his goddam business what other clubs do what he conveniently forgets is that Collingwood have been sucking from the AFLs tit longer than anyone.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He said some clubs had become complacent and that reliance on league funding could lead to "a cookie-cutter franchise for clubs run by a central organisation"
I can sort of see where he is coming from on this. Go ahead and blow it and the league will bail you out

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:He's right to a degree.

I don't agree with the 'no overseas camps' part. Because clearly, this type of thing is where the great divide causes the most problems.

No club wants money for the sake of having money! They want money so they don't get left behind the rich clubs in areas such as coaching, facilities and training. So this is exactly what the money from the AFL should be for - to ensure that all clubs can compete on-field.

Clearly, he seems happy for 'equalisation' - as long as it doesn't mean mean anyone gets equal with Collingwood!

As for the 'cookie cutter' comment - I agree with him. But I don't see it as a bad thing. It's basically 'cookie cutter' stuff anyway, so why not just be done with it and remove the back office of every club? Just let them play footy, let the fans worry about footy, and let the AFL make sure the books balance?
He's not right at all.
Draw the fixture out of a hat for each timeslot every week, then each club is on their own.
Until that happens gate takings, tv rights and sponsorship the afl generates is for the competition to distribute.
9 timeslots need to be filled to generate the revenue.
Comments from Eddie are simply bs.

supersaints
Club Player

Well , I guess he believes that the Filth were just blowing money by going overseas because they have plenty, mainly due to their favourble blockbuster draws and stadium deals.
I think he is on record saying that the altitude training gave them that 2% edge over other teams , seems very selfish and unrealistic that any other club should not have access to facilities and training venues , other than the rich clubs.

He has only criticised the other clubs since they built their new altitude facility.

If he is right about wasting money wonder why he thought it was alright for the Filth to do it previously?

I have a suggestion Fat Eddy will love " Use the equalization fund to build altitude training facilities " to the same standard as the Filths at all the poorer clubs.... Problem solved!

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Megamaguire
Club Player

Peter Gordon makes heaps more sense

Heard Peter Gordon (Bulldogs pres) on the KB show and he completely blew Eddie's footy world-view and more importantly the afl world-view out of the water.

Gordon made the very significant point that the poorer clubs including us; dogs and north are effectively taking a financial smashing playing out of The Dome but benefiting the afl big time in return by helpng pay for the afl's long term investment (The Dome). Gordon said teams playing there start at $1 million BEHIND teams playing elsewhere. Considering the afl recently made more than $1. something Billion (his words) on media advertising deals he feels that the afl are effectively exploiting the 'poorer Melb' clubs for the overall benefit of the league.

Comparing gallah McGuire's 'collingwood- centric' comments reg: other clubs blowing dollars on overseas trips Gordon also said he couldn't disagree more. Having gone on a fact-finding mission with Demetriou & others to see how the american football share the competition money with their clubs he said the americans take very seriously their equalisation programs and understand that all teams need to be able to strongly compete and be financially secure. They realise that their competition cannot thrive if there are perennially financially strapped administrations operating within 'the system'. I found it interesting that they believe that all teams should receive the necessary financial support to produce a successful competition and then the league itself really benefits.

On the more minor issue of eddie's remarks Gordon pointed out that the actual cost of over seas trips was around 0.02 % of total financial costs. What is much more significant he said was creating structures within the running of the competition that keep all clubs strong. Gordon said the afl would do better to work towards a united league with 18 strong and adequetly resourced teams dishing up a much higher % of close games every round.

I was glad to hear an articulate club president really give it to the afl especially regarding the fiasco at The Dome.
If the afl are fair dinkum they will buy out The Dome already and enable the regular tenants there a fair slice of the cake. Fingers crossed.

G O S A I N T S ! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
ace
Saintsational Legend

G. F. Eddie and don't mean the game you wont be playing in.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Re: Peter Gordon makes heaps more sense

Megamaguire wrote:Heard Peter Gordon (Bulldogs pres) on the KB show and he completely blew Eddie's footy world-view and more importantly the afl world-view out of the water.

Gordon made the very significant point that the poorer clubs including us; dogs and north are effectively taking a financial smashing playing out of The Dome but benefiting the afl big time in return by helpng pay for the afl's long term investment (The Dome). Gordon said teams playing there start at $1 million BEHIND teams playing elsewhere. Considering the afl recently made more than $1. something Billion (his words) on media advertising deals he feels that the afl are effectively exploiting the 'poorer Melb' clubs for the overall benefit of the league.

Comparing gallah McGuire's 'collingwood- centric' comments reg: other clubs blowing dollars on overseas trips Gordon also said he couldn't disagree more. Having gone on a fact-finding mission with Demetriou & others to see how the american football share the competition money with their clubs he said the americans take very seriously their equalisation programs and understand that all teams need to be able to strongly compete and be financially secure. They realise that their competition cannot thrive if there are perennially financially strapped administrations operating within 'the system'. I found it interesting that they believe that all teams should receive the necessary financial support to produce a successful competition and then the league itself really benefits.

On the more minor issue of eddie's remarks Gordon pointed out that the actual cost of over seas trips was around 0.02 % of total financial costs. What is much more significant he said was creating structures within the running of the competition that keep all clubs strong. Gordon said the afl would do better to work towards a united league with 18 strong and adequetly resourced teams dishing up a much higher % of close games every round.

I was glad to hear an articulate club president really give it to the afl especially regarding the fiasco at The Dome.
If the afl are fair dinkum they will buy out The Dome already and enable the regular tenants there a fair slice of the cake. Fingers crossed.

eddie was also on that trip

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eddie is right about spending money on the trip overseas. Yes some of it is paid by winning some overseas trips but it will cost the club many dollars that could be spent on another coach or even just saving the money. How many sides that have been overseas in that year have won a flag? The pies and that maybe it and even they arent going this year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Eddie is right about spending money on the trip overseas. Yes some of it is paid by winning some overseas trips but it will cost the club many dollars that could be spent on another coach or even just saving the money. How many sides that have been overseas in that year have won a flag? The pies and that maybe it and even they arent going this year.

There is no point now they won't be allowed on the gear any more.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Eddie is right about spending money on the trip overseas. Yes some of it is paid by winning some overseas trips but it will cost the club many dollars that could be spent on another coach or even just saving the money. How many sides that have been overseas in that year have won a flag? The pies and that maybe it and even they arent going this year.

Yep that would be it. It makes so much sense.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Yep that would be it. It makes so much sense.

That was the rumour- it was a facility that had a reputation and they were a club with plenty of whispers coming out about it.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Peter Gordon makes heaps more sense

Megamaguire wrote:Heard Peter Gordon (Bulldogs pres) on the KB show and he completely blew Eddie's footy world-view and more importantly the afl world-view out of the water.

I would have thought 1 million per club per year towards the AFLs acquisition of Etihad a bit on the low side.
The initial construction cost of the Docklands Stadium was $460 million in 2000 dollars.
The stadium ownership reverts to the AFL after 25 years.
With maybe 40 games per season thats 1000 games or $460,000 per game that has to be paid just to allow the Superanuation funds to recoup the intial cost.
Meanwhile the Melbourne Cricket Club that manages the the MCG is making no headway in paying down their debt on the construction of the MCG stadium despite charging $624 per full member.

The extra cost of playing 10 home games at Docklands could be expected to be 4 to 5 million a season per club playing there.
However the AFL does not reveal how much they are chipping in to support these clubs.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

mullet wrote:I still dont understand how he managed to close down an iconic part of melbourne (olympic park) because they couldnt be bothered walking down the end of the street. A stadium that belonged to the public. Kicked the VIS out of their home and had them moved. All for a classy training venue.

Oh thats right he made himself a token board member of Athletics Australia so he could get all the info that suited him.
Done alot for athletics hasnt he.

Didnt he go o/s with andy a couple of months ago too.

Watch out he may take over from Andy and all us poor clubs will be gonski
How about our investigative journos start scratching for for a fresh look at the initial deal at the now named Westpac Centre for a peppercorn rent (literally) and if the deal meant the place fell into the hands how much rent is paid to the MCG/Olympic Trust?

And let's not hide behind "Commercial Confidentiality"

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Let's face it, we are a poor club, so we should smile, drop our dacks, bend over and say 'thanks eddie, you are slim and generous'.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post