Jimmy and John and 'that' day...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jimmy and John and 'that' day...

BigMart wrote:Oh... You saw it?... One of the very few...

What is your explanation of injury suffered by John? It was near fatal, and no accident... Those facts are well known

1/ has your ten year old daughter read as much about the history of StK as me?

2/ has your ten year old daughter spoken to a guy that knows O Dea very well having played with him?

Being from the same place as John I can tell you he and those who know him, hold O Dea absolutely responsible for wrecking his career.... Rightfully so...
Ahhh, it's the tassie thing. Righto.

1/ Can't be answered until such time as you list just what you have read, but I suspect that this is your main source....

As Greening was carried off on a stretcher, blood trickling from his nose and mouth, Collingwood fans were already searching for the perpetrator of the act. The St Kilda supporters showed no regard for John's obviously perilous situation and actually jeered and laughed at the unconcious boy as he was carried off the ground. No player was reported, but the Magpies laid an official complaint. The League inquiry that followed led to a striking charge being brought against St Kilda's thug Jim O'Dea and the tribunal suspended him for 10 weeks. Allegations were made that Jim O'Dea, a member of the Victorian Police, under instructions from his coach, Allan Jeans, also a member of the Victorian Police, was to fix up John Greening early and get him out of the game.

2/ No. As a rule she doesn't fawn over '70s footballers.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I saw Giansircusa fracture Kosi's skull. No more than twenty metres from where I sat. Watched Giansircusa run at an unsighted Kosi, leap in the air and fracture his skull.

I CAN GUARANTEE EVERYONE THAT GIANSIRCUSA DELIBERATELY MEANT TO FRACTURE KOSI'S SKULL.

How do I know. Because I am presumptive, arrogant, and full of myself and can read minds.

Who cares what happened to some poncing Filth player 40 years ago. Who knocked out Sommerville from Essendon 120 metres off the ball in a Grand Final? A filth player.

Stuff the filth and their mindless whining. those arseholes hit Doc some many time it surely contributed to his ill health in later life, but all they can go on about is Greening. Stuff him and stuff Collingwood's high and mighty attitudes.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Richter
SS Life Member

Well said jb.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Well said jb.
Plus 1 JB. Is there no end to their self entitled crap? The filth idiots hang onto their bitterness because there is nothing else in their shallow, empty lives.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Oh Joffa...

Lovely to hear from you....

Yes that thug Gia... All 181 and 75kg of him, a known hard hitter.... Who in an attempt to Shephard a 197cm and tunnel visioned Kosi... Left the ground for better impact, had an accidental head clash... Which floored him also...

Was Gia reported?

Similar to an off the ball incident that only Satchmo (And Len Thompson?) saw because most supporters were watching 60m away.... And a 21yo ball playing freak was KO'd after he'd disposed of the footy...

Was ODea reported?

I suppose that Filth player deserved it? He and his family, wife and young daughter... His health? Why, because he was better than ODea... And it's how he tried to stop him....

Dog Act.... Only a completely one eyed absolutely blind and nuts supporter would think otherwise IMO

Me... Having been 'king hit' on the footy field.... Not put to sleep, but Jaw broken.... I tend to think.... Regardless of teams hey play for, that..... Weak pricks that do that... 1/ should take responsibility 2/ be held accountable.

And I'm being presumptuous.... But you've just said Collingwood players caused Docs issues 25 years plus later... Mmm .... Interesting... Ones a direct result... Ones a long bow?M.... And what does it even mean in this argument? That Greening should pay for it? Did he whack Doc (when he was 18 in 1968) did greening deserve what he got?

Not even sure your post can be taken seriously.... It's actually distasteful and you come across as a one eyed bogan... Advocating violence on the footy field.... Depending on which team you support...

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
Similar to an off the ball incident that only Satchmo (And Len Thompson?) saw because most supporters were watching 60m away.
Every bogan knows what happened. Apparently.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
BigMart wrote:
Similar to an off the ball incident that only Satchmo (And Len Thompson?) saw because most supporters were watching 60m away.
Every bogan knows what happened. Apparently.
But only a superbogan can read minds. Apparently.

Hey but what would I know, someone who reckons they are not presumptious, presumes that I advocate violence on a football field.

The irony is dripping

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

satchmo wrote:Tell us who killed JFK. I'm betting it was Neil Roberts?!
:shock:

No way!

Coco wasn't even there, could not have been on the grassy knoll...

unlike (as even Unsteady Eddy was forced to admit)... Alan Didak... :idea:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Hi Mart, none of the posts that I've read have defended Jimmy O'Dea's whacking John Greening. Nor was that my intention in posting this thread.

The point that many are trying to make is that what Jimmy O'Dea did was no worse and no better than what many many blokes have done on a footy field before and since that day.

Sadly, what did end up being (far) worse was the result...

So Mart, if you are not happy with saying that Jimmy was 'unlucky', then would you instead be happy with saying that all those other blokes have been 'very lucky' ?

PS: I have no idea if Gia ever apologised to Kosi, BBBB to Goose..., Ro$$y said he apologised to Whitehead..., I know that Lethal said he has never apologised to Bruns..., and I've just read here that John Greening says he doesn't care... but I reckon that Jimmy should apologise.
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Sat 07 Dec 2013 2:09am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Back to the original point of starting this thread... has anyone heard anything about John Greening going into that game with an undisclosed concussion from a car accident? If so, would certainly go some way to explaining why that blow caused so much damage... :(

Gershwin
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:Back to the original point of starting this thread... has anyone heard anything about John Greening going into that game with an undisclosed concussion from a car accident? If so, would certainly go some way to explaining why that blow caused so much damage... :(
Yes I have heard that and I have also heard that the severity of the injury was due to his head hitting the cricket pitch. But the point remains that 'one punch can kill". Greening was lucky and so was O'Dea.

summertime and the living is easy ........
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Yeah agree,bit like Hookesy ,I believe a lot of the damage was done when he hit the ground,having said that he must have been out to it before he hit the ground also so overall a very sad day for footy ,I was 10 and I remember the silence once the boos stopped, I ended up going to his comeback game which was brilliant but he was never the Same after that !

PADDLEPOP1000
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

By the way JB imagine if that was your 21 year old kid and that happened how would you feel a bit different ,king hits in any era are/were and always will be a dogs act,was Jimmy"s a king hit possibly !

PADDLEPOP1000
maverick
Saintsational Legend

How old was kosi?
Was o'dea reported?
Maybe we should have complained...

Every club has a story like this, why this one gets picked out is beyond me

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Not sure how old you are but I remember as a 10 year old kid the thoughts and repercussions it had on me ,it was a sad day surely we can admit that , got nothing to do with what happened to Kosi , at least that was a half arsed shepherd!

PADDLEPOP1000
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Oh Joffa...

Lovely to hear from you....

Yes that thug Gia... All 181 and 75kg of him, a known hard hitter.... Who in an attempt to Shephard a 197cm and tunnel visioned Kosi... Left the ground for better impact, had an accidental head clash... Which floored him also...

Was Gia reported?

Similar to an off the ball incident that only Satchmo (And Len Thompson?) saw because most supporters were watching 60m away.... And a 21yo ball playing freak was KO'd after he'd disposed of the footy...

Was ODea reported?

I suppose that Filth player deserved it? He and his family, wife and young daughter... His health? Why, because he was better than ODea... And it's how he tried to stop him....

Dog Act.... Only a completely one eyed absolutely blind and nuts supporter would think otherwise IMO

Me... Having been 'king hit' on the footy field.... Not put to sleep, but Jaw broken.... I tend to think.... Regardless of teams hey play for, that..... Weak pricks that do that... 1/ should take responsibility 2/ be held accountable.

And I'm being presumptuous.... But you've just said Collingwood players caused Docs issues 25 years plus later... Mmm .... Interesting... Ones a direct result... Ones a long bow?M.... And what does it even mean in this argument? That Greening should pay for it? Did he whack Doc (when he was 18 in 1968) did greening deserve what he got?

Not even sure your post can be taken seriously.... It's actually distasteful and you come across as a one eyed bogan... Advocating violence on the footy field.... Depending on which team you support...

You said at the start O'dea was to knock greening unconcious. You also say now you were hit behind play and got a broken jaw. Did the guy who hit you fail because you werent kknocked unconcious or was him aim to break your jaw? As you know what goes through players minds are you able to tell me this. And you dont even get JB. he was having a lend of you about Gia. he was telling us what Gia's intent was. Its called sarcasm. Lets face it this is all about Greening being a good old Tassie boy. And because he came from the same area you have heard stories. I come from the same area as O'Dea. Big friggin deal. So answer me this. Was the sole aim of O'Dea to knock Greening out and if yes which you have already claimed how do you know this? I heard his aim was to cut greening lip but got him a bit harder than he thought in a bad spot on the head.

Viking3
Club Player

Maybe if we all stop replying to BigMart the thread will go away.
That would be the best outcome.
The realists aren't going to change their mind and neither, I fear, is BigMart.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Allegations were made that Jim O'Dea, a member of the Victorian Police, under instructions from his coach, Allan Jeans, also a member of the Victorian Police, was to fix up John Greening early and get him out of the game.[/i]

was o'dea a copper....?????...i don't remember that...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

I don"t think he was!

PADDLEPOP1000
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Realists trying to justify or defend someone just because they were a saints player and Greening was a Collingwood player

Bias that can't be overcome in the 'realistic' argument...

Firstly those who can't accept what happened... And try to come up with unlikely alternatives... Which the tribunal obviously dismissed

Secondly those who don't understand the motives of a king hit .... To incapacitate...

Thirdly those who bring in other unrelated incidents in some desperate attempt to justify or defend what occurred...

Do you know why this thread is disliked by people.... It uncovers scars better forgotten... Because deep down we know it was a black day! And we probably don't want to face it believe it?! .... ODea has to live with the fact he is remembered for it... And because he hasn't come out and taken some sort of responsibility to appease player, club and fans... He gets no sympathy..
Fact is... He did it!!!

Joffa... You said 'stuff him'

To me that suggests he doesn't deserve sympathy... So in essence you think it's ok?
Your word... Why shy away from them

Looks st stk if you can and try common sense or realty?!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
satchmo wrote: Allegations were made that Jim O'Dea, a member of the Victorian Police, under instructions from his coach, Allan Jeans, also a member of the Victorian Police, was to fix up John Greening early and get him out of the game.[/i]

Fitter and turner.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
stinger wrote:
satchmo wrote: "Allegations were made that Jim O'Dea, a member of the Victorian Police, under instructions from his coach, Allan Jeans, also a member of the Victorian Police, was to fix up John Greening early and get him out of the game."

Fitter and turner.
Yes.
That extract is from one of the many like minded accounts of the day, and the precise reason why many people such as myself don't put up with simple people telling us what we think. Yes, he says Saints supporters were cheering and laughing, so if you believe these stories, and are a Saints supporter then that image represents you.

Of course it doesn't matter if these accounts are wildy inaccurate, you just cherry pick the bits that make it sound as foul as possible, then beat your chest like a righteous tool.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Realists trying to justify or defend someone just because they were a saints player and Greening was a Collingwood player

Bias that can't be overcome in the 'realistic' argument...

Firstly those who can't accept what happened... And try to come up with unlikely alternatives... Which the tribunal obviously dismissed

Secondly those who don't understand the motives of a king hit .... To incapacitate...

Thirdly those who bring in other unrelated incidents in some desperate attempt to justify or defend what occurred...

Do you know why this thread is disliked by people.... It uncovers scars better forgotten... Because deep down we know it was a black day! And we probably don't want to face it believe it?! .... ODea has to live with the fact he is remembered for it... And because he hasn't come out and taken some sort of responsibility to appease player, club and fans... He gets no sympathy..
Fact is... He did it!!!

Joffa... You said 'stuff him'

To me that suggests he doesn't deserve sympathy... So in essence you think it's ok?
Your word... Why shy away from them

Looks st stk if you can and try common sense or realty?!

You even know it was a king hit. It amazes me that you know so much even though you were less than 5 years of age. maybe not even born. Who told you all this? What O'Dea was wrong and very poor IMO. I have no idea if it was a king hit or an elbow or what it was. i have no idea if he wanted to knock him out. I am pretty sure I was at the game and still dont know what happened. Im not even sure you were born but you seem to know more that everyone apart from O'Dea and maybe Greening. he may not even know as much as you.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

If it wasn't "t a king hit Surely O"Dea would have said so and it would have been at least partly forgiven!

PADDLEPOP1000
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Yes stuff Greening. So he didnt play foot again. Big deal. He went o to have a successful life.

He like hundreds of other players have been unfairly hit behind play. Kosi was hit behind play and was never the same again.

I get sick of this whining about Greening. No wining about Kosi getting his skull fractured.

Seen plenty of Collingwood players hit others unfairly.

Do I advocate ANY player illegally hitting a player on the field? No. Did I like seeing Doc get illegally smashed by filth players over and over?

Where is the outrage over Cowboys tactics in the 71 GF. Surely as bad or worse than O'Dea? What about Balme on Southey? In play yes but horrible, horrible hits.

Anyway Greening was probably a bit wonky as he is from Tasmania and most are inbred and mentally deficient, especially from where he came from :D

Lance or James??