Teams

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: Teams

dragit wrote:Siposs is in the 35 - 40th range on our list at the moment… heading for de-listing… certainly nowhere near the best 22.

Hope he becomes a star, by the way, but things have to change dramatically.
He had a pretty average year and by all reports he was ridden by Watters hard.

This happens in workplaces. Some people respond better to other people or not so well.

That being stated he certainly has the talent so he should do well this year

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the OP that we now have a more even spread of positions/types on the list.

But if you look at it from an experience angle - we remain well and truly a list 'in transition' which is why I cant see us getting more than 7 wins in 2014.

Veterans/legends/climbed the mountain

Core Aged group/Players in their prime

Inexperience/Unknowns/Developing players

Total

So only 12 in the 'peak age' group and only 2 of those - Jack - and then maybe Dylan could be considered A Graders.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Geary Delaney Dempster
Gilbert Roberton Fisher
Webster Hayes Montagna
Savage Roo Schneider
Stanley Lee Curren

Longer Armitage Steven

Int: Saunders Ross Jones
Sub: Ray

Em: Milera Dunstan Bruce Hickey

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Gerry Delaney Dempster

Fisher Bruce. Robertson

Montagna Armitage. Savage

Schneider. Riewoldt. Siposs

Stanley. Lee. Milera

Longer Hayes Steven

Int. Hickey Ross Newnes Curren

Em. Wright Dunstan Ray

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm surprised at how ppl perceive Gwilt. I reckon he's been a rock for us the last few years. He came back from a knee reco this year and was undersized for the position they were playing him. I would have him starting in my best team every week.

jimmy_slats
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:I believe Ray has consistently been in our top 15 since arriving at our club, I don't expect that to change. Much undervalued IMO. Cannot understand the angst against him. Has as much courage as anyone on our list, a gut runner & his disposal is much improved from when he was a Bulldog.
Agree
Ray is the worst kick in the team end of story
no idea... end of story!

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
falka
Club Player

Moods wrote:I'm surprised at how ppl perceive Gwilt. I reckon he's been a rock for us the last few years. He came back from a knee reco this year and was undersized for the position they were playing him. I would have him starting in my best team every week.
This is a problem we have.
We obviously want to get Bruce and Delaney in as the talls for structure, that leaves 4 spots. Fisher Roberton Gilbert Dempster Geary Gwilt dont all fit. Then we want to get games into Webster and Wright. SO I dont see Gwilt getting a game. Just my opinion, as if all fit, he misses out.

saint6709
Club Player

This is a good problem to have- too many options for the 22. Gwilt plays in my 22 - not necessarily on half back

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

No arguments from me.

Love Gwilt but in todays footy I feel he has serious issues outside his control.

He can't play tall and he can't play small. Not his fault. He's just a victim of a harsh business.

As for Ray - love his effort and courage and run but his disposal just murders him and us.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:This is a good problem to have- too many options for the 22. Gwilt plays in my 22 - not necessarily on half back
well we do have too many options in the back half. for sure. some big 'names' will have to play VFL.
BUT

Not enough in the fwd hwf.
And nowhere near enough in the midfield.

not a gold medal winning list balance right now.

bottom 6.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Before you accuse me of being negative.

Im looking fwd to watching:

Steven, Curren, Roberton, Newnes, Dunstan, White, Wright, Bruce, Webster, Longer, Savage, Saunders, Ross, Acres, Billings, Hickey, Lee, Weller, Markworth, Minchington, Templeton all develop in to our next premiership side.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:No arguments from me.

Love Gwilt but in todays footy I feel he has serious issues outside his control.

He can't play tall and he can't play small. Not his fault. He's just a victim of a harsh business.

As for Ray - love his effort and courage and run but his disposal just murders him and us.
Agree Con about Gwilt, if there is a specific medium sized marking forward, he has value but depending on the opposition forward line, Dempster will more than likely be first choice for that match up. It's a pity because his foot skills, left & right are amongst the best at the club.

Speaking of foot skills, we have too many that butcher the ball under moderate pressure or no pressure at all. I don't think Ray is our worst. I can think of Gilbert, Jones, Geary, even Fisher, Lenny & Steven and whilst Roo's field kicking is generally OK we only have to think of his set shots. I can only really give Joey, Lee, Armo, Sipposs, Newnes, Schneider, Gwilt and Dempster as pass marks for high quality AFL standard kicking.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Definitely like Longer,he obviously has great leadership skills and had played more football than Hickey ,do Hope that both come on in leaps and bounds!

PADDLEPOP1000
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:No arguments from me.

Agree Con about Gwilt, if there is a specific medium sized marking forward, he has value but depending on the opposition forward line, Dempster will more than likely be first choice for that match up. It's a pity because his foot skills, left & right are amongst the best at the club.

Speaking of foot skills, we have too many that butcher the ball under moderate pressure or no pressure at all. I don't think Ray is our worst. I can think of Gilbert, Jones, Geary, even Fisher, Lenny & Steven and whilst Roo's field kicking is generally OK we only have to think of his set shots. I can only really give Joey, Lee, Armo, Sipposs, Newnes, Schneider, Gwilt and Dempster as pass marks for high quality AFL standard kicking.
Since his injuries, Gwilt has dropped off a long way. He is one of the most overrated kicks in the side, he has lost pace and is an in between size. I have Simpkin in front of him but Head would need injuries to get a game.

Also have Gilbert playing off a wing, so wouldn't include him in my back 6. I'd be surprised to see Bruce in the magoos. Delaney, Bruce, Chips, Dempster, Geary and Roberton - looks top heavy, but you'd swap out one for a Wright or similar kid off half back

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saint6709
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saint6709 wrote:This is a good problem to have- too many options for the 22. Gwilt plays in my 22 - not necessarily on half back
well we do have too many options in the back half. for sure. some big 'names' will have to play VFL.
BUT

Not enough in the fwd hwf.
And nowhere near enough in the midfield.

not a gold medal winning list balance right now.

bottom 6.
some blokes are going to have to adapt and play a different role - eg geary comes out of the back and takes Jones role as the run with tagger ( ie midfield role) maybe gwilt goes to half forward ??

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:I believe Ray has consistently been in our top 15 since arriving at our club, I don't expect that to change. Much undervalued IMO. Cannot understand the angst against him. Has as much courage as anyone on our list, a gut runner & his disposal is much improved from when he was a Bulldog.
I agree. Good player over a number of years still with much good footy in front of him. IMO same goes for Jones. Not too many could say they smacked Ablett Jr at their second last outing.

IMO it is up to the new kids to prove they can do better than these two club stalwarts before being gifted games.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bearing in mind that we area developing team now, our only real problem now is not enough quality mids...unless a few step up and/or others like say Gilbert can change roles. havea varity of good options. If we can get quality ball in, we have a variety of options....from great down to ok)

Fwd half has ample options:
TALLS: Roo, Lee, Maister, Stanley....................resting ruck
MEDS: Siposs, Markwoth, Savage ( Lee and Savage...and even Roo are all mobile enough to play as a "third forward").........resting mids.
SMALL: Schneider, Milera, Joey, Curren, Saunders, Billings............TDL

Our rucks are on the raw and developing stage. however you would expect both Hickey and Longer to be better ruckmen in 2014 than they were in 2013.

Jack and Joey need more than Armo to be good....and they need more tan Lenny to be part of that good support. That we will most likely lack in this regard, is the main reason I would see us struggle to get above the bottom third of teams.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Gerry Delaney Dempster

Fisher Bruce. Robertson

Montagna Armitage. Savage

Schneider. Riewoldt. Siposs

Stanley. Lee. Milera

Longer Hayes Steven

Int. Hickey Ross Newnes Curren

Em. Wright Dunstan Ray
Oops! Forgot Gilbert. Put him in for Curren. Play him as a big outside midfielder.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

And that should read Roberton, not Robertson. Bloody predictive text!!

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

The over riding message of all the produced teams is that there will be competition for most positions for the first time in a long while! If we had midfield depth of the top teams we would be close to playing finals next year....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
one point
Club Player

Which teams are likely to finish below the saints?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

one point wrote:Which teams are likely to finish below the saints?
The ones we beat twice! :oops:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Defitnitely:
Wogans, Dreamons, Teddies.

Probably:
Poodles, Sons of Beaches.

Don't be surprised if:
E-girls, Bluescum, Tuggers, EffndopeneedlecheatinggotoUSAonlytotrainindoorssoftas.

Our defence will be way-yay better... (finally) big key defenders to free up Chips, Sam G, Demps' and Jimmy G who will be back from injuries.
Factor a far stronger defence just alone into last season's results... and do the sums. :idea:

Our forward line will be improved... Still life in Roo, Lee settling in, Maister fit again, Markworth, Sippa re-born (fingers crossed), Stanley to have a break-out year (compare his slow initial progress to one Spider Everitt :idea: ), Sneids fit (fingers crossed), and then there's a fitter and built-up... Spenc-aaaaaarh! 8-)

Our rucks will improve... sorry Owl, but we will win some tap outs now.

Our midfield may very well surprise a few...
Jack Lorne is elite.
Curren to improve further.
Dunstan to step straight in.
Ross to improve.
Armo is IMHO amazingly underrated... and he has more improvement to go.
Newnes and Saunders to be the bolters... you read that here first folks! (Happy though to be half a season early al la with Jack. :wink: )
Monty still going strong.
Lenny to provide guidance at worst, at best, who knows...?

(Acres to be the steal of the draft, but probably not big enough yet, so I'm not factoring him, nor Billings, into next season.)

Keep the faith Saintas!!! 8-)

PS: As ever, alternative viewpoints are welcomed. :) But please back 'em up with your reasonings.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Reckon Gilbo,Savage and Longer will go well to !

PADDLEPOP1000
sasaint
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
Defitnitely:
Wogans, Dreamons, Teddies.

Probably:
Poodles, Sons of Beaches.

Don't be surprised if:
E-girls, Bluescum, Tuggers, EffndopeneedlecheatinggotoUSAonlytotrainindoorssoftas.

Our defence will be way-yay better... (finally) big key defenders to free up Chips, Sam G, Demps' and Jimmy G who will be back from injuries.
Factor a far stronger defence just alone into last season's results... and do the sums. :idea:

Our forward line will be improved... Still life in Roo, Lee settling in, Maister fit again, Markworth, Sippa re-born (fingers crossed), Stanley to have a break-out year (compare his slow initial progress to one Spider Everitt :idea: ), Sneids fit (fingers crossed), and then there's a fitter and built-up... Spenc-aaaaaarh! 8-)

Our rucks will improve... sorry Owl, but we will win some tap outs now.

Our midfield may very well surprise a few...
Jack Lorne is elite.
Curren to improve further.
Dunstan to step straight in.
Ross to improve.
Armo is IMHO amazingly underrated... and he has more improvement to go.
Newnes and Saunders to be the bolters... you read that here first folks! (Happy though to be half a season early al la with Jack. :wink: )
Monty still going strong.
Lenny to provide guidance at worst, at best, who knows...?

(Acres to be the steal of the draft, but probably not big enough yet, so I'm not factoring him, nor Billings, into next season.)

Keep the faith Saintas!!! 8-)
I agree. I think the Sainters will surprise most next year. 8-)

Patience young grasshopper