Your Top 10 AFL/VFL Player Hit List

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Your Top 10 AFL/VFL Player Hit List

Whilst we still have a couple of months before the 2014 season kicks off, let us indulge in some hate. Being a hater all the time isn't something to incourage, but to hate on someone or something in a harmless way every now and then is just jolly good fun.

Time to devise your top 10 list of the players who you hated current or past.

Enjoy or die!

1. Matthew Scarlett - despicable human being, a coward and an abolsute creep. Possibly the only player to ever hate Robert Harvey personally (both on and off the field). Described as many as being one of the best defenders of all time, but employed dirty tactics all along. What makes me sick about him is that we'll never get the last laugh over this parasite. The "toe tap" in '09 GF will continue to give me nightmares until we finally win that elusive second premiership. Enough said.

2. Gary Ablett Sr. - Another coward from Geelong FC. Whilst I'll never dispute his playing abilities in being one of the greatest to play the game, he was a dirty dog. 1991 Elimination Final epitomises his behaviour to a tea. Couldn't get a kick, so he took it out on poor old Nathan Burke with a cheap shot, putting Burkie in hospital with a serious concussion. Burke would play the rest of his career having to wear a helmet. Then he broke Christian Bardsley's jaw in 1996. Loved it when we played the Hanmdbaggers in 1993 at Waverley and Gaz got absolutely towled up by Spud Frawley. Of course he never had the guts to take a cheap shot at someone like Plugger Lockett, did he? Was fun to yell taunts to him from the sidelines about the pizza delivery boy :lol: Hope he never makes into the AFL HOF.

3. Dermott Brereton - What is worse than player who carries on like a poodle? A player who carries on like a poodle and also bites. After that time he provoked Nicky in 1990, it was very satisfying to see Nicky lay one of the hardest I have ever seen on him in 1992 and get pinged for holding the ball. That day we crapped all over Hawthorn and Plugger kicked his 100th for the season. I loathed Dermie since I was 10 years old and attended a footy clinc which he helped with. I was wearing my Saints jumper and he made several wisecracks at me for it. He always seems to have it in for the Saints. Total flat track bully.

4. Brad Scott - A gutless coward who broke Lenny Hayes' wrist.

5. Chris Scott - The other gutless coward who colluded with Mal Michael to take a cheap shot on Roo.

6. Mal Michael - A skinny, scrawny little runt with Collingwood, whose physique seemed to have changed overnight to one of a gorilla after going to Brisbane. Became a cowardly thug alongside the Scott Bros. Was he on the juice? Perhaps he and Alistair Lynch were sharing needles in the GABBA lockeroom?

7. Gary Hocking - Dirty dog with a poodle mullet. Always seemed to praised for being a "gutsy", but was a total receiver for mine. Won't forget that time when he took a cheap shot at Danny Craven. Of course he never took on anyone his own size. Glad he never got a premiership medal. Should never have been allowed to change his name back by depoll from "Whiskers" and made to eat it for the rest of his life.

8. Cameron Mooney - Yet another creep from Geelong. "You just cost us the game!" was heard by that wetnose from the field umpire's microphone in that Qualifying Final of 2010. A sore loser and total dog of a player. Mooney the looney.

9. Warwick Capper - How this guy kicked 100 goals in a season is beyond all comprehension. Hated everything about him from his unco looking kicking style to his glam hair look. Oh, and there was the ultra short shorts. What an absolute ponce!

10. Allen Jakovich - What a one hit wonder he was. A complete show pony. Used to carry on like Lleyton Hewitt after he'd kick a goal. Unfortunately, AFL players seem to be doing this all the time these days.

Dishonourable mentions to Jason Akermanis, Rod Grinter, Mick Martin, Tony Shaw, David Rhys Jones and Barry Hall.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Your Top 10 AFL/VFL Player Hit List

I hate hate. Most of those guys you mentioned were fantastic to watch.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Spot on about Mick Martyn. Gutless sniper, who never got in front of his opponents. Brilliant at riding blokes into the ground after they marked in front of him. Great at punching blokes in the back of the head. Got his lights put out by Dick Carey in the one fair fight he ever got into. Lisping, hair-lipped coward. I loved the way he used to play Barry Hall. Always five metres behind BBBBarry. Spent those games with his hands up, scratching out the mark. Never got close to Barry. I wonder why?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well I agree with the sentiments - I really dislike the blokes who are tough against little guys and completely gutless against tough guys. Guys who play tough like Hodge I admire because they pretty much treat all their opponents equally - even if its a 120kg beast they still have a go in the same way.

I put the Scott boys in the less admired category. Tough bullies against young and weaker opponents but nowhere to be found against anyone tougher than them.

Agree with Mick Martyn. Knob. I never liked that knob Adam McPhee much who fell into that category.

I still remember the day Gary Sr got totally owned by our own Russell Jeffrey. Must have been either 88 or 90.

So I think after Ablett must have been trying to pay us back and was a lot braver once RJ was no longer in our back line.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I hate hate. Most of those guys you mentioned were fantastic to watch.
Obviously you were never one of the boys standing in the "Animal Enclosure" during the old Moorabbin days.

But surely, there were at least a couple of players who'd irk you at some stage? Come on, fess up!

P.S. Apologies to Mick Martyn for mispelling his name. Well... not really.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Sainternist wrote:2. Gary Ablett Sr. - Another coward from Geelong FC. Whilst I'll never dispute his playing abilities in being one of the greatest to play the game, he was a dirty dog. 1991 Elimination Final epitomises his behaviour to a tea. Couldn't get a kick, so he took it out on poor old Nathan Burke with a cheap shot, putting Burkie in hospital with a serious concussion. Burke would play the rest of his career having to wear a helmet. Then he broke Christian Bardsley's jaw in 1996. Loved it when we played the Hanmdbaggers in 1993 at Waverley and Gaz got absolutely towled up by Spud Frawley. Of course he never had the guts to take a cheap shot at someone like Plugger Lockett, did he? Was fun to yell taunts to him from the sidelines about the pizza delivery boy :lol: Hope he never makes into the AFL HOF.
Taking out some of our blokes was pretty much Ablett's sole contribution on that day... Danny gave him a bath.

However, IMHO the most important hit of all on that day was when he took out David Grant... who I reckon was a most underrated player. Till then Grant had been coming across in front of Puffin' Billy and chopping off pretty much everything. With Grant gone Puffin' Billy took over and IMHO sunk us. :( So I'd argue that Ablett actually 'won' that game for the hillbillies. :evil:

That was during a brief couple of seasons when Puffin' Billy played to his potential and was a star. His form over the majority of his career though, was what lead to his team mates calling him Cinderella. :lol:

Sainternist wrote:3. Dermott Brereton - What is worse than player who carries on like a poodle? A player who carries on like a poodle and also bites. After that time he provoked Nicky in 1990, it was very satisfying to see Nicky lay one of the hardest I have ever seen on him in 1992 and get pinged for holding the ball. That day we crapped all over Hawthorn and Plugger kicked his 100th for the season. I loathed Dermie since I was 10 years old and attended a footy clinc which he helped with. I was wearing my Saints jumper and he made several wisecracks at me for it. He always seems to have it in for the Saints. Total flat track bully.
I can't agree with all of this. Dermutt is one of the best I've seen. He played well in winning and losing sides. Yep, could be a mongrel, but at least to his credit, since he chose to live by the sword, he was also prepared to die by the sword.

Sainternist wrote:7. Gary Hocking - Dirty dog with a poodle mullet. Always seemed to praised for being a "gutsy", but was a total receiver for mine. Won't forget that time when he took a cheap shot at Danny Craven. Of course he never took on anyone his own size. Glad he never got a premiership medal. Should never have been allowed to change his name back by depoll from "Whiskers" and made to eat it for the rest of his life.
And don't forget that taking out of Harves' at hillbilly ho-down park in 1998 at a boundary throw in. :evil: In the last quarter we were four goals down and into the wind. Harves' came back on and absolutely starred... and we won there for the first time in who-knows-how-long. 8-)

I don't 'hate' anyone, so I won't use that word. That said, some who's 'footy-related endeavours' I don't/didn't rate:
* Brent Guerra. Loved taking out blokes who weren't looking, but always 'fell over' when there was a hard ball to be won. Hmmmmmm... :idea:
* Andrew Mackie. Huge mouth, but rarely actually had a man to play on... let alone a big bloke.
* Paul Roos. Yes, he could play, but his actual achievements were soooooo overrated. Never had a man at the Swines.
* FIGJAM. Yes he could play, but was overrated. A receiver, not a ball winner. Not to be seen if tagged. I remember he was once totally tagged out of it by the much smaller (and possibly slower) Nathan Burke.
(Interestingly..., IMHO too many of Carlscum's current high draft picks fit this category. Reckon that could have something to do with why this team hasn't, and won't, play in a GF. :idea: )
*Jade 'the spade' Rawlings. :roll: Not only did he not use the deed poll to correct the fact that his parents named him as a girl, :shock: but he played one good season only. He then told the skid marks that he would only play as a forward(!) :shock: Then, he took big money and early draft picks from the Poodles, and then from Nuff Nuff... gave nothing in return. I can't believe that since then Tuggers, Teddies(?) and now Dreamons have put this dud on their coaching panels(!) :shock: Oh well, that's good news for the rest of us. :lol:
* Peter Moore. Overrated, says it all.
* Kelvin Templeton. (See Peter Moore). That day he kicked 37 goals against us at Poodle Park was a joke. He was just touching the footy and the white maggots (back in the days when they were appropriately attired :twisted: ) would pay a mark. :evil: :evil: :evil:
* Merv Neagle. Overrated. Lucky for him played in very strong Effn'dum sides. Did he ever actually earn a kick...? :?
* Ray Davies, John Tilbrook and (especially) Graham Cornes... lauded as super-stars in SA, but when they tried to play in the big time... :oops:
* Those opposition supporters who all too often clearly demonstrate that they don't actually know the rules of our game. :oops: :evil:
* Former Fitzroy and South Melbourne supporters who somehow believe that their teams still play in the AFL. :roll:

Also, as per receivers, I've never thought much of the look-like-Tarzan-play-like-Jane types.
* Anthony Rocca would be the first to come to mind here.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Gouger Judd
Bryce Squibbs
Giansiraloser
All of the current Egirls squad
K Tippett
Goodes - actually all of the current Swines squad and also Kirk. Makes me nauseous thinking about Captain Zen Knob
Roos. Used to love him but his commentary bias sucks goats nipples. I ripped up his biography this year and binned it.
Tird

Loved your lists Sainternist and Dave. And had a good giggle reading your comments. Good stuff!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Great list Sainternist.

A few I would add

Luke Ball
Barry Hall
Andrew Dunkley
Fraser Brown
Dane Swan

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Lou Richards. Always kicking ankles.
John Scarlett, father of Matthew. Had a go at Killagrew in the players race. Thats right, our midget coach who was just about a cripple.
Captain Blood. Actually I was a fan of his when he was,nt playing the Saints.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I hate hate. Most of those guys you mentioned were fantastic to watch.
Obviously you were never one of the boys standing in the "Animal Enclosure" during the old Moorabbin days.

But surely, there were at least a couple of players who'd irk you at some stage? Come on, fess up!

P.S. Apologies to Mick Martyn for mispelling his name. Well... not really.

Never stood in the animal enclosure but stood next to it under where the players wives and girlfriends were. There are and were many footballers I didnt and dont like but i cant say i hated any player. I find it to hard to hate someone and then love them if they come to our club. I watched our players most of the time and in the 80's was to busy laughing to worry about hating. Dont worry i get as angry as anyone at the footy but also like to joke around especially when we are struggling like we are now. to much hate in this world. Just look at those idiots marching to the ground from WSW last Saturday night. Their eyes had so much anger in them. No wonder soccer struggles. When i think about it most players I didnt like was due to jealousy because they were very good just like many opposition people dont like Rooy. How could you not like watching him.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Great post Sainternist. Agree with most of it.

Was hard not to enjoy watching Ablett play. His thuggery was a part of what made him so great.
Scarlett was just a friggin dog.
I liked Hall
I liked Brereton until he joined the media. What a flog he hass turned into. Saw him out a while ago in a fur coat. Man what a tool.
Hated Mooney as a player but like him in the media. Was not his fault he was overrated.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I hate Scratchatorie

I hate Gino

I hate Judd

I hate Goodes

I hate players who change their names unless they play for us

I hate Diesel (but drive one)

But I love yooes alls on here.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

s***, I forgot the biggest wanker around - Luke Darcehole

One of the softest, minciest players in history.

Also forgot to add that I was always glad for some reason that Francou and Primus missed Ports flag in 04. I loathed Port in general but it made it easier to take cos those two missed out. I didn't like them for some reason.

Also I always found it laughable that Matthew Carr was a hack with us but somehow was deemed good enough to play in the midfield when he went to Freo to join his thug cousin Josh.

sippo
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:Whilst we still have a couple of months before the 2014 season kicks off, let us indulge in some hate. Being a hater all the time isn't something to incourage, but to hate on someone or something in a harmless way every now and then is just jolly good fun.

Time to devise your top 10 list of the players who you hated current or past.

Enjoy or die!

1. Matthew Scarlett - despicable human being, a coward and an abolsute creep. Possibly the only player to ever hate Robert Harvey personally (both on and off the field). Described as many as being one of the best defenders of all time, but employed dirty tactics all along. What makes me sick about him is that we'll never get the last laugh over this parasite. The "toe tap" in '09 GF will continue to give me nightmares until we finally win that elusive second premiership. Enough said.

2. Gary Ablett Sr. - Another coward from Geelong FC. Whilst I'll never dispute his playing abilities in being one of the greatest to play the game, he was a dirty dog. 1991 Elimination Final epitomises his behaviour to a tea. Couldn't get a kick, so he took it out on poor old Nathan Burke with a cheap shot, putting Burkie in hospital with a serious concussion. Burke would play the rest of his career having to wear a helmet. Then he broke Christian Bardsley's jaw in 1996. Loved it when we played the Hanmdbaggers in 1993 at Waverley and Gaz got absolutely towled up by Spud Frawley. Of course he never had the guts to take a cheap shot at someone like Plugger Lockett, did he? Was fun to yell taunts to him from the sidelines about the pizza delivery boy :lol: Hope he never makes into the AFL HOF.

3. Dermott Brereton - What is worse than player who carries on like a poodle? A player who carries on like a poodle and also bites. After that time he provoked Nicky in 1990, it was very satisfying to see Nicky lay one of the hardest I have ever seen on him in 1992 and get pinged for holding the ball. That day we crapped all over Hawthorn and Plugger kicked his 100th for the season. I loathed Dermie since I was 10 years old and attended a footy clinc which he helped with. I was wearing my Saints jumper and he made several wisecracks at me for it. He always seems to have it in for the Saints. Total flat track bully.

4. Brad Scott - A gutless coward who broke Lenny Hayes' wrist.

5. Chris Scott - The other gutless coward who colluded with Mal Michael to take a cheap shot on Roo.

6. Mal Michael - A skinny, scrawny little runt with Collingwood, whose physique seemed to have changed overnight to one of a gorilla after going to Brisbane. Became a cowardly thug alongside the Scott Bros. Was he on the juice? Perhaps he and Alistair Lynch were sharing needles in the GABBA lockeroom?

7. Gary Hocking - Dirty dog with a poodle mullet. Always seemed to praised for being a "gutsy", but was a total receiver for mine. Won't forget that time when he took a cheap shot at Danny Craven. Of course he never took on anyone his own size. Glad he never got a premiership medal. Should never have been allowed to change his name back by depoll from "Whiskers" and made to eat it for the rest of his life.

8. Cameron Mooney - Yet another creep from Geelong. "You just cost us the game!" was heard by that wetnose from the field umpire's microphone in that Qualifying Final of 2010. A sore loser and total dog of a player. Mooney the looney.

9. Warwick Capper - How this guy kicked 100 goals in a season is beyond all comprehension. Hated everything about him from his unco looking kicking style to his glam hair look. Oh, and there was the ultra short shorts. What an absolute ponce!

10. Allen Jakovich - What a one hit wonder he was. A complete show pony. Used to carry on like Lleyton Hewitt after he'd kick a goal. Unfortunately, AFL players seem to be doing this all the time these days.

Dishonourable mentions to Jason Akermanis, Rod Grinter, Mick Martin, Tony Shaw, David Rhys Jones and Barry Hall.
Gee ONLY 5 outta the 10 involved Geelong, obvioulsy the pain of them living up to Chapmans famous line, is still difficult to accept. Cowboy neale what a lovely on field fotballer he was, despite playing for the sainters, whats that we cant dislike our own??.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Fair point sippo! We should include our own players:

Lovett. What a prick

:roll: :D

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Fair point sippo! We should include our own players:

Lovett. What a prick

:roll: :D
Tony Francis.

SS Life Member

Dave McNamara wrote:
Sainternist wrote:7. Gary Hocking - Dirty dog with a poodle mullet. Always seemed to praised for being a "gutsy", but was a total receiver for mine. Won't forget that time when he took a cheap shot at Danny Craven. Of course he never took on anyone his own size. Glad he never got a premiership medal. Should never have been allowed to change his name back by depoll from "Whiskers" and made to eat it for the rest of his life.
And don't forget that taking out of Harves' at hillbilly ho-down park in 1998 at a boundary throw in. :evil: In the last quarter we were four goals down and into the wind. Harves' came back on and absolutely starred... and we won there for the first time in who-knows-how-long. 8-)
That was the first game I ever attended.

Least liked players for me:

Adam Hunter
Greg Stafford
Heath Shaw

Pretty much any Essendon player (Mark Johnson, Adam McPhee at the top).

Carlton is my least favourite team, but that's more of a supporter dislike.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy Jess used to really get under my skin. Real sniper.

Saintsational Legend

Spike McVeigh annoyed me with his faux tough guy act too.

Playon
Club Player

Wayne Carey.. Great player but what an a**sehole.

Scareltt.. Over rated big mouth.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

cant say i hate a player , in order to really hate someone i feel you need to know them on a personal level so to say you hate some one who more than likely you have never spoken to is to me strange ... an example is our own Fraser Gehrig - i have Freo supporter friend who "HATED" the g-train despised everything about him his hair his strut his onfeild persona hated him ... then one day he happened to meet big Fraser at a Western Saints function i dragged him to after 2 mins with the big fella my mates entire perception of G-Train changed and Fraser became his favorite saints player ... a few people have mentioned Chris Judd as a person they hate , having met Juddy a couple of times i can honestly say he is one of the nicest blokes going round he treats his fans really well and has a pretty sharp wit nothing about him to me says he should be hated...

that said there are players i dont like ...

Adam Goodes - used to love the way he played but in the last few years with his sliding tackles and his tendancy to go for the impossible shot over passing to his teammates made me dislike him as a player ..

Stevie J - thinking bout it, its not him i dont like more the way the comentators especially brooce gush over every thing he does that gives me the s***s

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Andrew Jarman.

Pretty much every Essendon player, prior to the drug scandal. Obviously this is heightened further.

Adam Yze.

Eddie Mcguire. May not count, I was always 50/50 with him, but since that match where he got that Saint supporter kicked out for what he considered 'borderline racist', he lost me forever. Pure scum.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Adem Yze ???

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Adam Hunter is an interesting case. A big time player in the Perth "swinging scene". Instead of being discreet, he actively traded on his so-called fame. That is until the club told him to cease and desist under threat of the sack. What a knob!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Adem Yze ???
Had a Dees mate that loved him and went on and on about him.. Made me hate him..

That and the standard 3/4 sleeve he used to wear... Both he and Jarman owned that look, and I hate them both... Maybe its the jumper and not so much the player that I hate..