Frawley puts contract talks on hold

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Fidelis
Club Player

Frawley puts contract talks on hold

It may be a year too late but the long time rumour on this site that James Frawley will head to the home of his uncle is a step closer to possible today with the news that he has put contract talks on hold until he "sees the direction of the club".

Expect a year of intense speculation.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/d ... 31pq5.html

Faithful Even Unto Death
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Frawley puts contract talks on hold

I dont get why this is a saints thing. I have asked for the last 2 years why he would come to us even if he did leave. Rumours started on here arent even slight fact. And are we saying either both one of delaney and Bruce are duds already because we certainly dont need another backman if they work out?

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Would be good to get him ,quality player,family history and we could turn Bruce into a swing man aka Harry Taylor!

PADDLEPOP1000
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Fidelis wrote:It may be a year too late but the long time rumour on this site that James Frawley will head to the home of his uncle is a step closer to possible today with the news that he has put contract talks on hold until he "sees the direction of the club".

Can't really see Chips, Gwilt and Dempster playing in two years time, so we might well have a spot for him. I don't mind the Josh Bruce swing man talk either. Add Wright or McCartin this year also and suddenly we have a really good structure of talls and mids.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Fidelis wrote:It may be a year too late but the long time rumour on this site that James Frawley will head to the home of his uncle is a step closer to possible today with the news that he has put contract talks on hold until he "sees the direction of the club".

Can't really see Chips, Gwilt and Dempster playing in two years time, so we might well have a spot for him. I don't mind the Josh Bruce swing man talk either. Add Wright or McCartin this year also and suddenly we have a really good structure of talls and mids.

Poor Josh Bruce hasnt even slightly made it and now people want him to do one of the hardest jobs in the AFL by being a swingman. lets try and get the guy to become a good backman first and if the recruiting has been good we will have a FB and CHB. And i still cant work out why he would leave melbourne to come to a club that I beleive is at least one year behind Melbourne in the rebuild.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Would be good to get him ,quality player,family history and we could turn Bruce into a swing man aka Harry Taylor!
Quality player and person, I agree would be a good get, especially when you consider that the next decade is possibly going to see a resurgence in awesome power forwards and possible three in one team like the Sydney teams so to have as many quality big blokes down back could come in handy.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Haha. I have to agree with P66 on this. The only reason that a player puts contract talks on hold is because they have been offered an enormous amount of money by another club to leave at the end of the year. Would we really have done this after working so hard to get two key back men into the team? We should be looking at replacing Roo - and that WOULD take a hell of a lot of money. A power fwd in the mould of Boyd or Patton would be worth our cash. Not sure Frawley (who is a very good player) would be worth us throwing around 700-950k a year.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Haha. I have to agree with P66 on this. The only reason that a player puts contract talks on hold is because they have been offered an enormous amount of money by another club to leave at the end of the year. Would we really have done this after working so hard to get two key back men into the team? We should be looking at replacing Roo - and that WOULD take a hell of a lot of money. A power fwd in the mould of Boyd or Patton would be worth our cash. Not sure Frawley (who is a very good player) would be worth us throwing around 700-950k a year.
Yeah agree I certainly wouldn't pay anything near that to get him.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:

Poor Josh Bruce hasnt even slightly made it and now people want him to do one of the hardest jobs in the AFL by being a swingman. lets try and get the guy to become a good backman first and if the recruiting has been good we will have a FB and CHB. And i still cant work out why he would leave melbourne to come to a club that I beleive is at least one year behind Melbourne in the rebuild.

Bruce actually looks better forward than back from the games I watched. He can be a backman but he looks a more quality player running off his man as a forward. Frawley would be a great get and while we are just vying for his services like everyone else he probably grew up following us and we are likely to be down the ladder so have access to him if he nominates and also higher picks to trade for him. Delaney is a big backman and will fill one post. Simpkin is really the only one who might be up for a spot on the list beside Bruce in a backline kp but he's short.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I dont get why this is a saints thing. I have asked for the last 2 years why he would come to us even if he did leave. Rumours started on here arent even slight fact. And are we saying either both one of delaney and Bruce are duds already because we certainly dont need another backman if they work out?
Agreed.

We just got two backmen in the recent draft. We have Dempster, Gwilt, Gilbert, Roberton and Fisher as running backmen. Even if we lose, say Fisher and Dempster in the next two years, we still have ample backmen as we currently stand.

Also Frawley would cost at least a first round dp. Pelchan is committed to keeping our first round dps as part of the strategy he laid out to members.

Frawley would also take a fair chunk of our Salary Cap.

I would be very suprised if we would be seriously interested.

I think Frawley would be looking to move to a contender if anyone. Melbourne are probably further along the rebuild then the Saints anyway, so why would he want to go to that club?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

It would not surprise me if Josh Bruce becomes a key forward which would mean targeting someone like Frawley wouldn't be a bad idea. We could throw quite a bit of money his way.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I dont get why this is a saints thing. I have asked for the last 2 years why he would come to us even if he did leave. Rumours started on here arent even slight fact. And are we saying either both one of delaney and Bruce are duds already because we certainly dont need another backman if they work out?
Agreed.

We just got two backmen in the recent draft. We have Dempster, Gwilt, Gilbert, Roberton and Fisher as running backmen. Even if we lose, say Fisher and Dempster in the next two years, we still have ample backmen as we currently stand.

Also Frawley would cost at least a first round dp. Pelchan is committed to keeping our first round dps as part of the strategy he laid out to members.

I think Frawley would be looking to move to a contender if anyone. Melbourne are probably further along the rebuild then the Saints anyway, so why would he want to go to that club?
I don't understand why this is an issue thiugh... I don't know that anyone has claimed it as fact. I think a lot of forumites are just interested in him which is reasonable

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

frawley would go to colonwood as a replacement for maxwell .

In red white and black from 73
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote: Can't really see Chips, Gwilt and Dempster playing in two years time, so we might well have a spot for him. I don't mind the Josh Bruce swing man talk either. Add Wright or McCartin this year also and suddenly we have a really good structure of talls and mids.

Bruce actually looks better forward than back from the games I watched. He can be a backman but he looks a more quality player running off his man as a forward. Frawley would be a great get and while we are just vying for his services like everyone else he probably grew up following us and we are likely to be down the ladder so have access to him if he nominates and also higher picks to trade for him. Delaney is a big backman and will fill one post. Simpkin is really the only one who might be up for a spot on the list beside Bruce in a backline kp but he's short.

You do realise how tall Frawley is dont you. maybe the reason he hasnt been as good in the last couple of years apart from the pressure of playing back at melbourne is the growth of tall power forwards. Frawley isnt really built to play on them anyway we got bruce as a backman. Cant we see how he goes there instead of guessing he will be better up farward based on nothing at all.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Agreed.

You're right JB, Frawley would take up a fair chunk of our salary cap but really who else are we going to give it too? We lack quality players and while we can front load contacts I wouldn't want to overpay average players just to meet the minimum TPP's. Also, Frawley becomes a free agent at years end so we wouldn't part with any pick for him.

P66, you can't have too many quality players in your team and on your list. I wouldn't be against recruiting Frawley just because we recruited Bruce and Delaney last season. There's no guarantee either of those two even become regular AFL players and we will have a number of retirements over the next few years in our back half - we need a succession plan with an eye on the next 5+ years. Frawley is a proven AFL level player who has been down on form but is still a very good player with the best footy ahead of him given his age.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Didn't realise Frawley was a FA at years end.

Wasn't that one of Pelcans strategy for 2014-2015?

That changes it a little bit. If we dont have to give up first round dps, Frawley would be a good FA pick up.

Still I would think he would go to a team more in contention.

But as they saying goes, money talk, BS walks.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: But as they saying goes, money talk, BS walks.
And so does BJ :wink:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Didn't realise Frawley was a FA at years end.

Wasn't that one of Pelcans strategy for 2014-2015?

That changes it a little bit. If we dont have to give up first round dps, Frawley would be a good FA pick up.

Still I would think he would go to a team more in contention.

But as they saying goes, money talk, BS walks.

He's restricted so can't just walk to his choice -melbourne can match it. That is why I can't see an issue targeting him if he's keen. It's better to pay an all Australian big money that over pay the kids and set unreasonable expectations. Collingwood couldn't offer more than Melbourne for a start.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Agreed.

You're right JB, Frawley would take up a fair chunk of our salary cap but really who else are we going to give it too? We lack quality players and while we can front load contacts I wouldn't want to overpay average players just to meet the minimum TPP's. Also, Frawley becomes a free agent at years end so we wouldn't part with any pick for him.

P66, you can't have too many quality players in your team and on your list. I wouldn't be against recruiting Frawley just because we recruited Bruce and Delaney last season. There's no guarantee either of those two even become regular AFL players and we will have a number of retirements over the next few years in our back half - we need a succession plan with an eye on the next 5+ years. Frawley is a proven AFL level player who has been down on form but is still a very good player with the best footy ahead of him given his age.

Yes I certainly know you cant have to many quality players but I think the reason that some think he would be even slightly interested in us are a bit silly. His uncle played for us. Bid deal. Rumours are he may want to go to a club in a better situation than Melbourne. Well I think we are in a worse situation. We probably havent even bottomed out yet. And I still havent seen even any slight evidence that he is interested in us apart from on here. This has been going on for 2 years now. And finally if delaney doesnt make it, which I think may happen, it doesnt address the fact that we need a power and tall back to match the power and tall forwards. Frawley certainly doesnt address that. And lastly and most importantly I still reckon its one year to early for FA.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote:frawley would go to colonwood as a replacement for maxwell .
I get the feeling he'd be more likely to go to Hawthorn - with the war chest they have now since Buddy left, I think they'd make him an offer that'd be hard to refuse.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Thankfully the clubs paid player experts deemed Bruce a backman and recruited him as such, until i see him used elsewhere i will deem him one of the answers to our short arse backline.

Swingmen are becoming more popular in AFL so it's wait and see as to what they do with Bruce for a full game.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
lloyd21
Club Player

Johnny Favier wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:frawley would go to colonwood as a replacement for maxwell .
I get the feeling he'd be more likely to go to Hawthorn - with the war chest they have now since Buddy left, I think they'd make him an offer that'd be hard to refuse.

Guys all clubs have same salary cap if any club has room it is the saints but more likely he would look for flag chance club.

Was wanting Stkilda when Neeld stuffed club up rumour was not started hear either .

Really hope Stkilda target Patton Plowman & Jaksch last 2 uncontracted from Gws myself

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:

Disagree. Reckon that is very debateable. They have three players who could make it and the rest are GOP.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

How could they afford him? I know that the salary cap is a bit of a joke, but still.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:

Disagree. Reckon that is very debateable. They have three players who could make it and the rest are GOP.

Well i disgree but for interests sake who are our stars? And forget the old crew. Thats the reason we are behind in the rebuild IMO. And who are their 3 players?