Player names on jumpers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Player names on jumpers

spiral3 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yep they do but number 7 last year and the year before was number 7. Not sure people bought 2 of them but Hayes is a different jumper.
it takes a while for a new number 7 to establish themselves and who's to say your new favourite player wears no 7, could be 25
the good players stay in their numbers for 5-ish years, so it's not a high turn over, the only change to that would be rampant free agency
I would think alternate strips would encourage more multiple sales (they don't have to be actually worn in the season, e.g. reissue the candy stripe, just good design)

Well we agree to disagree. I think they will sell a heap of jumpers because their name is on them because who knows if it will happen again. Well we all know it will because of the marketing.

wally
Club Player

i guess i'm old and set in my ways,I still don't like advertising on the back.
As usual its about generating more money

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

You guys dont get it

Its for the Melbourne supporters who dont need to say "go 5"
There will be many of them round one, cause that Sydney chap is coaching

Before Im 85
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spiral3 wrote:what a load of dumbed down americana rubbish. are the players gonna run on the ground one at a time with an intro now?
if you're at the game you won't be able to read the names from a distance and if you're watching TV the commentators will tell you the names (correctly about 99% of the time)
don't get it...

Well you dont understand marketing then because they will sell so many more jumpers now if they sell ones with the names on them.
So each store is going to stock 40 different kinds of jumpers for every team with everyone's name on them? That's 720 jumpers Kmart and the like would have to stock for your "marketing" to work. And that's just for one size. Then you have S, M, L, XL, XXL, etc.

How about they just sell a blank back jumper and sell the AFL approved letters to go along with the AFL approved numbers. I think the shops would be a lot better off.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
spiral3 wrote:what a load of dumbed down americana rubbish. are the players gonna run on the ground one at a time with an intro now?
if you're at the game you won't be able to read the names from a distance and if you're watching TV the commentators will tell you the names (correctly about 99% of the time)
don't get it...

Well you dont understand marketing then because they will sell so many more jumpers now if they sell ones with the names on them.
So each store is going to stock 40 different kinds of jumpers for every team with everyone's name on them? That's 720 jumpers Kmart and the like would have to stock for your "marketing" to work. And that's just for one size. Then you have S, M, L, XL, XXL, etc.

How about they just sell a blank back jumper and sell the AFL approved letters to go along with the AFL approved numbers. I think the shops would be a lot better off.

Not sure about each store but I think the clubs will have all their own jumpers. you do know you can by jumpers at the club dont you?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Not sure about each store but I think the clubs will have all their own jumpers. you do know you can by jumpers at the club dont you?
Was at St.Mary's Stadium, Southampton's home ground, late last year and went into their 'Saints Superstore' where you could buy key rings, coasters, school bags etc all with Southampton branding. Even in there, only about five shirts were available with players names on them. The most popular and best players. Otherwise you could buy a plain shirt and have the player's name and number of your choice put on there for an extra few quid.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Was at St.Mary's Stadium, Southampton's home ground, late last year and went into their 'Saints Superstore' where you could buy key rings, coasters, school bags etc all with Southampton branding. Even in there, only about five shirts were available with players names on them. The most popular and best players. Otherwise you could buy a plain shirt and have the player's name and number of your choice put on there for an extra few quid.
I don't know if you blokes have heard of the internet. But that is where you would sell a lot of the personalised stuff. There are 25 different players names and numbers you can put on via the Southampton website.
http://store.saintsfc.co.uk/product/13000/0000-9502

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Playon
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
Playon wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

I reckon an even better marketing idea would be to sell that space where they are proposing to put the names as advertising space.
Why not a combo? All the players could change there names to Whiskas.
It'd be easy to tell them apart by the numbers on their back.
As in like a pussy?
I guess this was before your time?
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/w ... 6083706114

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I don't know if you blokes have heard of the internet. But that is where you would sell a lot of the personalised stuff. There are 25 different players names and numbers you can put on via the Southampton website.
http://store.saintsfc.co.uk/product/13000/0000-9502
Guess it must be the way they sell most of their gear now. I was surprised at how small the in-store range was for a Premier League club. Of course - people buy it online.