What Peter Summers DIDN'T say !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Re: What Peter Summers DIDN'T say !!

it comes down to one simple thing ... bums on seats .... why do Collingwood get the plumb time slots ? because they draw crowds why do we get the dud time slots cause we struggle to get crowds ... the AFL want their prime time games to look like the stadiums are full not qtr full ....

as for the connection to Seaford and low Membership numbers i dont see how where the team train monday to friday has anything to do with tat except in the minds of the "in the good ol days" supporters ... worth noting in the 140th book its noted the same sentimant was said when we left for Moorabbin in the first place ..

follow the team regardless of the ladder position the game times and the place they train .. support your team get to the games and stop living in the past .. i know if i was in Melbourne i would be there every week without fail

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
onlooker2
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:it comes down to one simple thing ... bums on seats .... why do Collingwood get the plumb time slots ? because they draw crowds why do we get the dud time slots cause we struggle to get crowds ... the AFL want their prime time games to look like the stadiums are full not qtr full ....

as for the connection to Seaford and low Membership numbers i dont see how where the team train monday to friday has anything to do with tat except in the minds of the "in the good ol days" supporters ... worth noting in the 140th book its noted the same sentimant was said when we left for Moorabbin in the first place ..

follow the team regardless of the ladder position the game times and the place they train .. support your team get to the games and stop living in the past .. i know if i was in Melbourne i would be there every week without fail
This is where the opinions fly. It isn't about a training venue it's about the Club having a base to build on and it isn't Seaford. Too many of the Club's efforts to survive in the next few years hinge on getting out of there. By the way I don't reckon there were too many good ol days at M'bin but it is a base

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He didn't say, I love you!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:it comes down to one simple thing ... bums on seats .... why do Collingwood get the plumb time slots ? because they draw crowds why do we get the dud time slots cause we struggle to get crowds ... the AFL want their prime time games to look like the stadiums are full not qtr full ....

But what if the missus said you can't go. Would you jeopardize that relationship?

lefty
Club Player

onlooker2 wrote:Agree although I wouldn't mind Elsternwick Pk or Junction Oval but Linton St is where the most recent remnants of a base are.
Elstenwick Pk, as in, the VAFA's ground?
Not sure if serious?

Ever played there and tried to park, logistical nightmare.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

The irony of people whining about us playing at Etihad, and some suggesting that we should get more games at the G is this.

Saints supporters will not travel to the G. We draw embarrassing numbers to the G - even if it is our home game. I've read MANY times on here how ppl like their comforts at Etihad.

The G's too far away, it get's cold at night, I don't want to expose my precious family to the elements. I like my reserved seat at Etihad...blah blah blah.

We are our own worst enemy. Back in the 80's when I followed Fitzroy, I always admired and loved the passion of saints supporters. They would turn up at Moorabbin, in crap weather, their team on the bottom of the ladder and they would scream themselves hoarse. They would bang on that old grandstand, bang their feet on the old wooden floorboards, scream murder at the umpires - it was pretty intimidating - and one of the reasons I chose the saints when the Roys went under. I thought I wouldn't mind being part of that type of fanaticism, that passion, that's what footy is all about.

To be honest the last few years (even when we were successful in 2010) have been pretty disappointing supporter wise. The passion has gone. It's almost as if a decade of reasonable success has dulled the senses. Yeah, blame Ross Lyon, blame the stadium deals, blame how footy is played today, blame the AFL for their handling of the Bombers - whatever. As a footy tragic, I get bemused with the excuses. We are making losses because, believe it or not, we have become complacent as a supporter group - AND WE HAVEN'T EVEN WON A FLAG.

If as a supporter group we were serious about helping the club out - we would get to all scheduled games at the G that we play. We would draw a crowd there and the AFL may sit up and take notice. To be honest we don't deserve to be fixture there with any sort of regularity - which is a shame. It's the best stadium in the world, and it's where premierships are won.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

onlooker2 wrote:

This is where the opinions fly. It isn't about a training venue it's about the Club having a base to build on and it isn't Seaford. Too many of the Club's efforts to survive in the next few years hinge on getting out of there. By the way I don't reckon there were too many good ol days at M'bin but it is a base

You still havent come up with any logical reasons why where you train matters. Come on tell me why if you can? Why is Moorabbin Btter for supporters? It certainly was when 30k went there but in the last year or two the open training sessions got about 200 people and there was probably only 2 or 3 of those a year anyway.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:The irony of people whining about us playing at Etihad, and some suggesting that we should get more games at the G is this.

Saints supporters will not travel to the G. We draw embarrassing numbers to the G - even if it is our home game. I've read MANY times on here how ppl like their comforts at Etihad.

The G's too far away, it get's cold at night, I don't want to expose my precious family to the elements. I like my reserved seat at Etihad...blah blah blah.

We are our own worst enemy. Back in the 80's when I followed Fitzroy, I always admired and loved the passion of saints supporters. They would turn up at Moorabbin, in crap weather, their team on the bottom of the ladder and they would scream themselves hoarse. They would bang on that old grandstand, bang their feet on the old wooden floorboards, scream murder at the umpires - it was pretty intimidating - and one of the reasons I chose the saints when the Roys went under. I thought I wouldn't mind being part of that type of fanaticism, that passion, that's what footy is all about.

To be honest the last few years (even when we were successful in 2010) have been pretty disappointing supporter wise. The passion has gone. It's almost as if a decade of reasonable success has dulled the senses. Yeah, blame Ross Lyon, blame the stadium deals, blame how footy is played today, blame the AFL for their handling of the Bombers - whatever. As a footy tragic, I get bemused with the excuses. We are making losses because, believe it or not, we have become complacent as a supporter group - AND WE HAVEN'T EVEN WON A FLAG.

If as a supporter group we were serious about helping the club out - we would get to all scheduled games at the G that we play. We would draw a crowd there and the AFL may sit up and take notice. To be honest we don't deserve to be fixture there with any sort of regularity - which is a shame. It's the best stadium in the world, and it's where premierships are won.
A fair point that is probably hard to argue with.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Moods wrote:The irony of people whining about us playing at Etihad, and some suggesting that we should get more games at the G is this.

Completely missing the point… regardless of poor crowd attendances, we made more money from 2 games at the MCG than 8 games at Etihad last year.

It's not about people preferring the G, we just want to be scheduled to play at a ground that doesn't fine us for bringing less than 30,000 people through the gates. It's a dud deal, not a dud venue.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Completely missing the point… regardless of poor crowd attendances, we made more money from 2 games at the MCG than 8 games at Etihad last year.

It's not about people preferring the G, we just want to be scheduled to play at a ground that doesn't fine us for bringing less than 30,000 people through the gates. It's a dud deal, not a dud venue.
Doesn't miss the point at all. We play in a competition. It's competitive in every aspect - not just on the field. If I ran the AFL I wouldn't schedule the Saints at the MCG either. My point is that Saints fans just don't get to games (even at Etihad) In almost every game we have played that I can think of in in the last few years where the crowd has exceeded 40k, we have been outnumbered, and by a fair margin. That's embarrassing considering that we are often the home team.

Yes the deal is a dud one at Etihad. If we got more people along to games, then we would have far more bargaining power. We won't ever have the pulling power of a Essendong or Carlton, but we would be in a stronger position to negotiate and get ourselves a 'better' deal. The AFL aren't anti saints, they aren't anti anyone. We all need to get the chip off our shoulders. We prove we're worthy of a better deal we're far more likely to get one.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Doesn't miss the point at all. We play in a competition. It's competitive in every aspect - not just on the field. If I ran the AFL I wouldn't schedule the Saints at the MCG either. My point is that Saints fans just don't get to games (even at Etihad) In almost every game we have played that I can think of in in the last few years where the crowd has exceeded 40k, we have been outnumbered, and by a fair margin. That's embarrassing considering that we are often the home team.

Yes the deal is a dud one at Etihad. If we got more people along to games, then we would have far more bargaining power. We won't ever have the pulling power of a Essendong or Carlton, but we would be in a stronger position to negotiate and get ourselves a 'better' deal. The AFL aren't anti saints, they aren't anti anyone. We all need to get the chip off our shoulders. We prove we're worthy of a better deal we're far more likely to get one.
I'm not sure why you are pointing out the last few years… we've had a "small" following for the last 50 years, our fan base is what it is. We would have been out numbered at most games with crowds over 40K for a lot longer than a few years. The difference in member base is just perpetuated by the fixturing of blockbusters and marquee games, believe it or not.

We don't have any bargaining power because Etihad don't have to offer us anything, they know we are fixtured to play there regardless of any "deals". Even if we averaged 10,000 more there, they wouldn't offer us a better deal, why would they?

20,000 people through the gate buying hotdogs is more than enough return a profit at every single ground in the country… except Etihad. It's not a conspiracy against us, but clearly 3 of the poorer clubs can't meet the minimum crowd numbers to avoid a fine for playing their own home games… it needs addressing, moaning that we don't have enough fans isn't helping.

It's not an outrageous opinion, the AFL are working towards buying the stadium back early. As having 3 clubs pay fines for their home games and then surviving on hand outs is just not sustainable.

Megamaguire
Club Player

DOME IS FIXABLE !

The stat mentioned by Dragit that a mere 2 games @ the G last year earnd our club more than 8 @ the Dome says enough!

We follow an unfair competition (financially and structurally. Mind you these financial handicaps carried by the 3 poor cousins locked into the Dome debacle are at odds with more equalising league foundations such as the draft. The draft at least gives those down the bottom and drawing poor crowds a chance to get up the ladder sooner rather than later. I like this innovation however the widely accepted view now that the afl must take responsibility and buy back the stadium ahead of time is obvious in the best interests of the competition.

Good long-term planning and strategising are massivly needed @ the Saints now. Summers might be an administrative and far-sighted administrater and it wouldn't be before time if he is. I remember way back when Kenny Sheldon took over as coach and Plugger was in his hey day St.Kilda did play some massive games at the G.
92,000+ beating the pies by 1 pt (mother's day or s'thing) and playing richmond in front of a similar number again @ the G.
The thing was St.Kilda were seen as exciting then and the crowds came to the G. Same era and I still clearly recall having to sit on the concrete steps @ Wave when we beat the tiges in a great contest in front of a 80 odd thousand.
I wouln't rule out pulling better crowds @ the G but we might need to find another Plugger!
There must be a fair bit of latent Saints support around the placeand perhaps someone above suggested if Saints supporters can try to make a special effort even if it's only once or twice a year o attend the rare home game at the G I could see it adding momentum to club.
Overall i'm positive about where the team is headed and hopeful about where the admin is headed but l can't countenance the bonkus world that exists regarding home teams playing out of the Dome. Personally l really enjoy the Dome as a stadium but we need a group of peole running it that w can respect.

Love the Dome, Love the G & Love the Saints :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
sverik25
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
dragit wrote:
saint6709 wrote:How is this relevant ?? If we pull a crowd then the town is big enough - we are clearly being compensated poorly for the crowds we get at docklands - we must have signed a poor deal and if we can somehow change the agreement to our advantage then we should try every means possible to do so
As far as I know, our contract with Etihad finished years ago, we haven't signed another deal, but as we are fixtured to play there by the AFL we have absolutely no choice or bargaining power.

Hence why we were asking for our home games to be played at the G last year.
But this year we have no home games at the G.

So what gives?

Are the AFL trying to put us under?
To be quite honest, I would think that out of ALL AFL clubs, the AFL would care the least if St Kilda went under. It's sad, but it's the way it is.

Melbourne are the first AFL club and have a great history (supposedly) and despite their woeful recent record and low supporter base the AFL is keen to keep them. The Bulldogs are strategically important for the growth of AFL in Western Melbourne even though many people out that way coudn't give a stuff about our game and North Melbourne have been more successful than us and Andrew Demetriou quietly barracks for them.

The thing is, us Saints have more support than any of those clubs but we need our supporters to get behind us so it is actually obvious.

Megamaguire
Club Player

AFL NOT St.KILDA KEEN

Sverik you could well be spot on
"To be quite honest, I would think that out of ALL AFL clubs, the AFL would care the least if St. Kilda went under. It's sad, but it's the way it is".

However given that we have already survived relocation during the Stan Alves era and not long after Fitzroy were sent packing I believe we have the support (I know a fair bit is latent) to hang in there.
Surviving and even thriving financially is vital in the liklihood that Sverik's view is all too real!

I Want To Believe - GO SAINTS !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sverik25 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
dragit wrote: As far as I know, our contract with Etihad finished years ago, we haven't signed another deal, but as we are fixtured to play there by the AFL we have absolutely no choice or bargaining power.

Hence why we were asking for our home games to be played at the G last year.
But this year we have no home games at the G.

So what gives?

Are the AFL trying to put us under?
To be quite honest, I would think that out of ALL AFL clubs, the AFL would care the least if St Kilda went under. It's sad, but it's the way it is.

Melbourne are the first AFL club and have a great history (supposedly) and despite their woeful recent record and low supporter base the AFL is keen to keep them. The Bulldogs are strategically important for the growth of AFL in Western Melbourne even though many people out that way coudn't give a stuff about our game and North Melbourne have been more successful than us and Andrew Demetriou quietly barracks for them.

The thing is, us Saints have more support than any of those clubs but we need our supporters to get behind us so it is actually obvious.

Reckon thats a real woo is me post. AD doesnt come into it for North for a start because he wouldnt be around in 5 or so years when this could but wont happen. The only reason we will struggle is if the AFL decide they dont want so many sides but im betting we are certainly clear of North and the WB if that happened. melbourne will probably stay because the AFL need a side called melbourne. As for SP you complain when we have games at the G and now you say when we dont have games at the G the AFL are trying to put us under.

The next 3 years dont matter for any AFL club because of contract so its important we are building and building strongly in 3 years time just incase the next TV contract doesnt have somthing in place saying there must be 9 games a week. I still would be pretty certain it will though.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

onlooker2 wrote:

why isnt it Seaford ? does it really matter where the club is located ? will you visit the club daily ? what differance does it make ? does the fact that the admin of the club arein new offices in Seaford and not old offices in Moorabbin efect Mr average joe member ? i think not ... why should the fact the boys do their weights in a gym in Seaford mean Mr average Joe member feels the club doesnt have a base ? ... it has a base its in Seaford its at the dome and its anywhere where saints supporters are .. moorabbin is just a suburb its not a mecca

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:

But what if the missus said you can't go. Would you jeopardize that relationship?
my missus knows im a Saints man through and through she wouldnt say i cant go unless there was a damn good reason

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:

my missus knows im a Saints man through and through she wouldnt say i cant go unless there was a damn good reason

What if she asked you who you loved more?

Saints43
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:melbourne will probably stay because the AFL need a side called melbourne.
What is the need?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:melbourne will probably stay because the AFL need a side called melbourne.
What is the need?

Well IMO you need a side with the name Melbourne in the biggest footy city. Of course many would think otherwise. WA are the only state with a capital city name so there must be reasons for making sure the teams have those names.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:Well IMO you need a side with the name Melbourne in the biggest footy city. Of course many would think otherwise.
I see your point. The English Premier League would be nothing without the London Wanderers Soccer Club. :wink:
plugger66 wrote:WA are(is) the only state with a capital city name...
:?

You're trying to confuse us aren't you Pluggs?

'Western Australia' is a capital city somewhere in the world? Or did you mean that Western Australia is the only state who's capital city has a name...? :P

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Well IMO you need a side with the name Melbourne in the biggest footy city. Of course many would think otherwise.
I see your point. The English Premier League would be nothing without the London Wanderers Soccer Club. :wink:
plugger66 wrote:WA are(is) the only state with a capital city name...
:?

You're trying to confuse us aren't you Pluggs?

'Western Australia' is a capital city somewhere in the world? Or did you mean that Western Australia is the only state who's capital city has a name...? :P

When English soccer comes to Australia then we can talk about it but now its another silly game in another silly country. No idea what im on about in the second sentance but if you are going to pick on my English you will be typing all day.