NAB Round 1: reflections

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: NAB Round 1: reflections

stkildathunda wrote:Dave Savell asked me to post link to his photos given he cant register on here!!

You can check them out here - http://www.davesavell.com/p400582359
Why can't new people register ? How long as this. Issue been going on?
I know people like bfusa do an awesome job but the registration issue seems to be the most pressing.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Great post MSG.

Agree with most of that.

Re Stanley : I know it's wet so I don't care if he doesn't take a mark or kick a goal but I was hoping he might at least make the odd contest or attempt the odd lead . But nothing . He is a ruckman or nothing else. The fantasy of him as a key fwd is dwindling....He is always 5 metres behind the action.
Great athlete but no idea how to play footy.

I reckon Webster shows enough to be considered a potential A grader. But ur right. We need another 5 or 6.

Hickey and Longer look good - at least they try and make things happen. We are no worse off in that department and much improved from when poor Macca had to ruck all game every game.

Seb Ross looks depressed and down in the dumps .
Needs to try and enjoy his footy.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

After a very depressing first quarter, was quite happy with the rest of the game. At least we know we are capable of beating the up and coming Bulldogs. We had a lot more out then they did.
Agree with Stanley, the only good thing was his kick to Joey in the last quarter that was right on the money. unfortunately that was about 30% of his possessions.
As I said, if we can win 5 games this year, I would be happy.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:Dave Savell asked me to post link to his photos given he cant register on here!!

Why can't new people register ? How long as this. Issue been going on?
I know people like bfusa do an awesome job but the registration issue seems to be the most pressing.
No idea mate, he said he's been trying for ages but it wont let him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Great post MSG.

Agree with most of that.

Re Stanley : I know it's wet so I don't care if he doesn't take a mark or kick a goal but I was hoping he might at least make the odd contest or attempt the odd lead . But nothing . He is a ruckman or nothing else. The fantasy of him as a key fwd is dwindling....He is always 5 metres behind the action.
Great athlete but no idea how to play footy.

I reckon Webster shows enough to be considered a potential A grader. But ur right. We need another 5 or 6.

Hickey and Longer look good - at least they try and make things happen. We are no worse off in that department and much improved from when poor Macca had to ruck all game every game.

Seb Ross looks depressed and down in the dumps .
Needs to try and enjoy his footy.

Seb Ross looks depressed? Where do you get these things from? As for Hickey and Longer, last night showed me there is no spot for both. even though conditiond were poor for the bigmen I cant possibly see where both play during a game. Has nayone got any ideas?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why is to be expected a a year of challenging (being a bottom 4 side) at StK?

But not expected at Sydney and Geelong who challenged a won multiple flags over the last decade?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why is to be expected a a year of challenging (being a bottom 4 side) at StK?

But not expected at Sydney and Geelong who challenged a won multiple flags over the last decade?

I dont know. Can you tell us?Why did the WB drop down after being up for so long? Let me guess, your question was again having a go at our club. What amazes me is the pies, the biggest side in the AFL, dropped down the ladder very quickly after missing out in 2002 and 03. How could that happen. Obviously unprofessional.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:[ As for Hickey and Longer, last night showed me there is no spot for both. even though conditiond were poor for the bigmen I cant possibly see where both play during a game. Has nayone got any ideas?
10-12 each,unless one of them is a stand out. You get the feeling one of them might be used as trade bait in the next 24 months. Clubs pay overs for ruckman

Bring back the Lockett era
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:We clearly ARE bottom four material, and that is to be expected after challenging for a flag from 2004-2011 while ignoring anyone under 25 from '07 onwards.

There were some good signs, but not enough to suggest we'll have a miraculous Port Adelaide-like revival. They spent a good 3-4 years drafting extremely well before it started to come together for them. I'd say we're one year into that.

Hickey and Longer were both very impressive in the ruck contests, we had the most hitouts to advantage I can recall since the Gardiner/King combo. Both have plenty to work on around the ground though. Wright has the most potential of all of our kids excluding last year's batch - he has the great ability to take clean possession of the footy at pace and keep charging forwards. With a bit more experience and composure Wright could become an outstanding midfielder/wingman.

Savage got involved a fair bit but his finishing wasn't great. He's a definite upgrade on other experienced fringe players like Jones and Ray though. Delaney competed well for most of the game and looks like a solid option to take the gorilla forward/resting ruckman. Bruce did some good things as well but could spend some time at Sandringham if our more experienced defenders are all fit. Simpkin was the most impressive backman IMO and I'd have him starting ahead of Bruce and Gwilt. Despite lacking a bit of height his intensity, strength, timing and technique make him a quality defender.

Dunstan didn't look out of place and should play 8-12 games this year. Honestly I didn't notice his first five or so possessions and then I checked the stats and realised that many were contested possessions and clearances. Hopefully he's the long-term Lenny replacement. Ross needs to show improvement if he doesn't want to be overtaken by Dunstan this year - they are quite similar players and Seb needs to start impacting games more. Newnes continued being Newnes - gets a few disposals and doesn't stuff many up, but doesn't have the tiniest bit of impact on the game either. Newnes needs to either get consistently big disposal numbers or start doing some damage with the footy.

We got what was expected from the older guys. Quality game from Joey, Maister was a workhorse who dropped too many marks while Ray and Jones ran their guts out to get the footy and butcher it. Geary and Steven both continued their 2013 form. It was disappointing that Dunell couldn't have an impact, this is his make or break year. TDL has his customary 6 disposals and a goal which just isn't an acceptable output from a 25 year old forward. Stanley was incredibly disappointing in what was his big chance to show that he can hold down CHF. Templeton, Webster and Curren all played decent games, unfortunately Billings didn't get involved at all.

I would have liked to see Weller and Siposs playing, hopefully they'll both get a crack in the next game.

I'm aware that this is only the pre season, but at this stage we need signs from players that show ability and/or potential. I'm a bit concerned that we don't have any real A-graders coming up through the ranks. Steven is a star, Wright looks likely, and we all have high hopes that Billings, Acres, Longer and White can become gun players but other than that, it looks like we have lots of b-grade/support players and not the nucleus to build a top four team around. To use the '09 squad as a benchmark, it's as though we're getting the Blake, Dempster, Jones, Baker, McQualter, Ray, Clarke, Dawson level players who can 'hold down a position' without replacing Riewoldt, Goddard, Dal, Hayes, Milne, Fisher level players who will win you games.

Regarding the last line you're on the money except I wouldn't bracket our kids in the Blake ect category. They are in between the Roo and Blake category which is nether bad or great.

As many have said, you need some genuine stars and unless drastic improvement like a Dane Swan, chances are a lot are not going to cut it.

In isolation, everyone's kids look good. Newnes can kick, Ross has an all round game and Curren is solid but the million dollar question is; are our kids better than other teams? That's where their real valuation lies.

We definitely are three years behind Port. Players like Hartlett, Wingard, WInes... Take a few years at the bottom and to get right.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Great summary by MSG! I had hoped we would be better than a bottom 4 side this year but last night it was blatantly obvious that will be the case.

As far as future A grade players go I can see Steven, Wright, Webster, Billings, Dunstan, Templeton & Acres all making top grade midfield players. If we can turn Lee, Longer, White and a key defender into top grade players we will have the nucleus we had in 2009 & 2010. The error the club made at that time is the players below the top echelon were mostly below par gap fillers and they elected to continue with those rather than recruiting kids and giving them the chance to blossom.

Time will tell but no one would have considered Jack STEVEN would get any where near he is now three years ago!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:

Thanks for the link. Great photos.

Captured Billings first kick much better than Foxfooty who were concentrating on interviewing Gia.
Good shot of Wilkes dropping a mark with his eyes closed!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:

Thanks for the link. Great photos.

Captured Billings first kick much better than Foxfooty who were concentrating on interviewing Gia.
Good shot of Wilkes dropping a mark with his eyes closed!

I dont think we have a Wilkes but you seem to like disrespecting certain players.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I dont think we have a Wilkes but you seem to like disrespecting certain players.
Wow! Looks like the Wilkes who plays for Sandy to me.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

His name is now Maister...

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

St Chris wrote:
- I hope we can find someone to push Maister out of the side, nothing against the guy, I just hope he's not the 2nd best forward on our list.

TOM LEE. Surely this bloke will develop onto a better lead-up/marking forward than Meister. We used draft pick no. 6 on him don't forget! 3rd tall forward spot (post Roo) you'd think is up for grabs between Stanley or Siposs. Surely they can't BOTH be duds?! I'd be shellshocked if neither of them turn out any good. I'll back in Sippa over Stanley because he has more raw footballing ability.

RE: Bruce & Delaney - I thought Bruce had a decent game, Delaney battled hard but made a few too many errors for mine.

Also, forgot to mention in OP: * Jarryn Geary has taken another very large step forward this pre-season and is now clearly in the top 5 players on our list IMO.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:
St Chris wrote:
- I hope we can find someone to push Maister out of the side, nothing against the guy, I just hope he's not the 2nd best forward on our list.

TOM LEE. Surely this bloke will develop onto a better lead-up/marking forward than Meister. We used draft pick no. 6 on him don't forget! 3rd tall forward spot (post Roo) you'd think is up for grabs between Stanley or Siposs. Surely they can't BOTH be duds?! I'd be shellshocked if neither of them turn out any good. I'll back in Sippa over Stanley because he has more raw footballing ability.

The Tom Lee trade myth grows.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Wow! Looks like the Wilkes who plays for Sandy to me.

There is no Wilkes at sandy. He doesnt use that name anymore. Please show some respect whatever you think of him as a footballer.