Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Stanley

Stanley needs some very good coaching and guidance.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Speaking of Stanley putting on bulk, he looks like he has done just that in off-season if recent photos are anything to go by at least. The guns look magnificent!
have to have another look

Rocket
Club Player

I agree with Con. The guy is a ruckman by trade. At least Richardson has acknowledged this and is playing him as a forward / ruck. The guy definitely lacks confidence. If you study him closely this lack of confidence is seen when he shoots for goal. I put my hands in my face every time he has a shot on goal in inside 50, as he is a terrible set shot. His approach is tentative and rarely looks like he is going to kick a goal. For mine his game is about purely confidence. He needs to back himself and needs to show some aggression. Big unit but never seen him get angry or show any real grunt. Hamill should be the guy to help him out here.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:He must surely be the classic example of a physically gifted athlete who couldn't realize his potential because of a general lack of interest
or heart or both. He may wake up one day (probably in 10 years) and think to himself. "If only I had given it a crack, how good could I have been?"
Sadly we may never know because if his efforts thus far in his yet to start career are any guide ………….
incorrect
ive spoken to him and his parents last year at training in sa
loves the saints, love the opportunity given to him

i know that when he is put in defence he is quite worried about making a mistake and letting his opponent get the pill.

imo the kid needs to back himself in and go for it
get that pill and run and bounce, no one will catch him

whether he comes home in a couple of years is yet to be seen
but he is certainly not disinterested in his football or doing the best he can for the saints

got to disagree with the OP

elvis lives
Club Player

2 things
1) people are expecting too much from Rhys. as already discussed, its really unlikely he is going to be a dominant key forward. apart from a few cameo appearances in games in 2012, nothing he has done so far would suggest this is going to happen. What he can be, however, is a really effective/dangerous ruck that drifts forward. There was a Carton game in 2012 really stuck out in my mind where he completely dominated the ruck for a qtr and turned the game for us. If he can get back to doing that in short bursts each game, followed by stints in the foward line as a troubglesome match up for oppositiopn coachs (200cm and quick) he will be an effective player for us.
2) whilst the 2013 defensive experiment might be good for him in the long run in terms of learning the trade wrt positioning and fwd movement - it absolutely destroyed his confidence, which never seemed to be a strong point anyway. THis will take a while to rebuild and therefore making a hard assessment of his value at this point in time is pretty silly.

I am marching in the Saints army
FQF
SS Life Member

elvis lives wrote:2 things
1) people are expecting too much from Rhys. as already discussed, its really unlikely he is going to be a dominant key forward. apart from a few cameo appearances in games in 2012, nothing he has done so far would suggest this is going to happen. What he can be, however, is a really effective/dangerous ruck that drifts forward. There was a Carton game in 2012 really stuck out in my mind where he completely dominated the ruck for a qtr and turned the game for us. If he can get back to doing that in short bursts each game, followed by stints in the foward line as a troubglesome match up for oppositiopn coachs (200cm and quick) he will be an effective player for us.
2) whilst the 2013 defensive experiment might be good for him in the long run in terms of learning the trade wrt positioning and fwd movement - it absolutely destroyed his confidence, which never seemed to be a strong point anyway. THis will take a while to rebuild and therefore making a hard assessment of his value at this point in time is pretty silly.

What player do you suggest he should model his game off? Or, what player can he realistically emulate?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Fair calls elvis.
I think we keep it extremely simple for him .
Just tell him to play ruck and run around after the ball and take marks like when he was a kid.
Forget everything else and enjoy yourself.

See how that goes.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I don't see a future for him...

It's not due to lack of effort, I am sure he trains as hard as anyone and applies himself.. He is said to be the strongest player at the club. Sure genetics help his cause, but in a room full of AFL athletes, to be the strongest you would have to apply yourself irrespective of natural gifts..

He seems a very nice, likeable young man, he just isn't very good at football... A hell of a lot better than us on here, and a super athlete in general, but he has not got the skills to make the grade.. The ability to read the game, timing and balance are the hardest skills to learn...

It had nothing to do with the conditions the other night, other KPP like Maister and Campbell from the Dogs were able to get to contests and make an impact.. Rhys just doesn't know where to run..

With Hickey, Longer, Lee, White and potentially Pierce all in the mix for tall positions going forward, there is no where to hide him..

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:

What player do you suggest he should model his game off? Or, what player can he realistically emulate?
I'd say Roo if he has the endurance. The boy can run fast, so if he's got the tank he should be running as much as he can you would think.

elvis lives
Club Player

It seemes a bit absent from the modern game really, the ruck forward role that is. Mitch Clarke would probably be the closest comparison. Maybe Lynch at the Pies. going back in time Corey McKernan probably did it best. I don't think the scarcity of them is because the role isn't important, just that a good player of that kind is bloody hard to come by.

I am marching in the Saints army
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:[quote="FQF]

I'd say Roo if he has the endurance. The boy can run fast, so if he's got the tank he should be running as much as he can you would think.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

See this right here is we have drastically gone wrong in our thinking.

This idea that Rhys is tall and fast and looks a little like Roo and Roo is a champion - so we should make him a fwd has been seriously detrimental to Rhys.

Apart from superficial appearance Rhys has never shown anything like Nicks actual ability in playing actual football. Nick was tall fast and athletic and good at footy and was a # 1 draft pick.

You can't just wave a magic wand and turn someone into something else just via wishful thinking and the fact they kind of look a like.

You cant walk around Spain until you find an 18yo guy who resembles Rafa in appearance and take him down to a Crt and think you can make him number 1 at Tennis with a bit of coaching.

How much are we basing our hopes on Rhys purely on his looks and not on the actual output. If he was a ranga and had acne would people still pin the same hopes on him?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 21 Feb 2014 3:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:

A reverse Kosi? (ruckman who can pinch hit as a Key Forward rather than Key Forward who can pinch hit as a Ruckman)
He's basically the same size as Tippett who turned into what we wanted Kosi to be (so far hasn't been cruelled by injuries)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
FQF wrote:

A reverse Kosi? (ruckman who can pinch hit as a Key Forward rather than Key Forward who can pinch hit as a Ruckman)
He's basically the same size as Tippett who turned into what we wanted Kosi to be (so far hasn't been cruelled by injuries)

Kurt Tippet - 2009 - 55 goals - Age 21/22.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
FQF wrote:[

Kurt Tippet - 2009 - 55 goals - Age 21/22.
I wasn't suggesting Stanley was as good as Tippet - just he is a similar size/build.
But I note that the Swans are tinkering with the idea of playing him more in the ruck now that they have Buddy and have let their #1 ruckman Mumford go.

FQF
SS Life Member

Perhaps trying to find a player for him to emulate is limiting. He can become his own player with his own nuances. Who does Cox emulate, who does Tippet emulate?

What I think is important to define - not for us, but for him - is the balance between forward and ruck. Is he a crucial cog in the forward line, who will assist in the ruck for 20% of gametime, or does the forward line structure and function without him, and he is thrown in to add another element that is "external" to the main structure.

With either of these models, he needs to be competent, and ideally very good, at both positions. From what I have seen of him, I think he is a far more accomplished ruckman at the moment than forward.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:What about the youtube 'next big thing' clip?

Weren't we all over Rhys in 2010 for covering Roo at 20yo? Then he was the next fletcher last year?

Bit like 'BJ who, Siposs'?

And wasn't it a flood almost Wednesday? Is that good conditions for a giraffe tall fwd?

I dont get this post. Having a go at Stanley or the people here in the first part and then sticking up for him in the next part. i suppose its hard to be wrong that way.

Very confusing indeed. I thought the same thing...!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:[quote="FQF]

I'd say Roo if he has the endurance. The boy can run fast, so if he's got the tank he should be running as much as he can you would think.
[/quote][/quote]

See this right here is we have drastically gone wrong in our thinking.

This idea that Rhys is tall and fast and looks a little like Roo and Roo is a champion - so we should make him a fwd has been seriously detrimental to Rhys.

Apart from superficial appearance Rhys has never shown anything like Nicks actual ability in playing actual football. Nick was tall fast and athletic and good at footy and was a # 1 draft pick.

You can't just wave a magic wand and turn someone into something else just via wishful thinking and the fact they kind of look a like.

You cant walk around Spain until you find an 18yo guy who resembles Rafa in appearance and take him down to a Crt and think you can make him number 1 at Tennis with a bit of coaching.

How much are we basing our hopes on Rhys purely on his looks and not on the actual output. If he was a ranga and had acne would people still pin the same hopes on him?[/quote][/quote][/quote]

I wasn't being romantic and suggesting Rhys could morph into Roo. Obviously Roo is a once in a generation player but there are some obvious physical similarities in their height and pace and one of Roo's strengths is his endurance which if my memory serves me correctly was modeled on Harvey. So all I'm saying is Rhys could look to add that attribute to his own game which was answering the question of who Rhys could model his game on.

linz
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:I don't see a future for him...

It's not due to lack of effort, I am sure he trains as hard as anyone and applies himself.. He is said to be the strongest player at the club. Sure genetics help his cause, but in a room full of AFL athletes, to be the strongest you would have to apply yourself irrespective of natural gifts..

He seems a very nice, likeable young man, he just isn't very good at football... A hell of a lot better than us on here, and a super athlete in general, but he has not got the skills to make the grade.. The ability to read the game, timing and balance are the hardest skills to learn...

It had nothing to do with the conditions the other night, other KPP like Maister and Campbell from the Dogs were able to get to contests and make an impact.. Rhys just doesn't know where to run..

With Hickey, Longer, Lee, White and potentially Pierce all in the mix for tall positions going forward, there is no where to hide him..
Agree totally Sobraz. He shirked contests in the wet conditions. Look at the replay. It doesn't matter how small you are (or big); you need to TRY.
I believe he has the ability to shine physically but I don't think he has the guts to perform. (Mind you he would outperform me but I'm approaching 60)

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:He must surely be the classic example of a physically gifted athlete who couldn't realize his potential because of a general lack of interest
or heart or both. He may wake up one day (probably in 10 years) and think to himself. "If only I had given it a crack, how good could I have been?"
Sadly we may never know because if his efforts thus far in his yet to start career are any guide ………….
He should inherit Frawley's nickname.........Spud

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He can't survive forever purely on promise.

It's time for him to show something and I think the only spot he can play is ruck. He's probably behind both Hickey and Longer, so to say it is make or break is an understatement.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:He can't survive forever purely on promise.

It's time for him to show something and I think the only spot he can play is ruck. He's probably behind both Hickey and Longer, so to say it is make or break is an understatement.
I think most ppl would agree with this ax, even big Stanley fans like myself.

At the end of this season he will either be a top 25 player for us, or will be cut

FQF
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:
bigcarl wrote:He can't survive forever purely on promise.

I think most ppl would agree with this ax, even big Stanley fans like myself.

At the end of this season he will either be a top 25 player for us, or will be cut
Top 20 or cut.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Stanley just needs to build the confidence to back himself. I'd also like to see him tried on the wing.

FQF
SS Life Member

Moorabbin Man wrote:Stanley just needs to build the confidence to back himself. I'd also like to see him tried on the wing.
The running patterns and tactics for a wing position are at this point far beyond him. He hasn't even figured out how to make a decent lead.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Trade at years end - problem/frustration/expectation all solved !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!