New CEO

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: New CEO

I don't agree that he was absolutely useless but I have wondered for while now if AFL clubs are a little top heavy in executive management especially when you consider the relatively small turnover the clubs manage and the small amount of staff they manage.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I don't agree that he was absolutely useless but I have wondered for while now if AFL clubs are a little top heavy in executive management especially when you consider the relatively small turnover the clubs manage and the small amount of staff they manage.
How can anyone argue that Nettlefold wasn't useless? Just look at the KPI's. Membership down, sponsorship down, performance /ladder position down, finances down. Need I say more. Useless. The benefit of cronyism. Will be glad to see the back of him. On performance, quite possibly the worst CEO we've ever had. And that's saying something, seeing as we had that tool Fraser as his predecessor.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Have to +1 and have no idea why he is still around

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I don't agree that he was absolutely useless but I have wondered for while now if AFL clubs are a little top heavy in executive management especially when you consider the relatively small turnover the clubs manage and the small amount of staff they manage.
That's a good point cairnsman.

From another angle I'm always surprised you don't get more high profile applicants for these kind of jobs.

I mean the pay is not 'high' for an asx 100 CEO and the pay is probably way too high for such a low turnover.
By rights the pay should probably only be 300 or 400k but it would be a great fun and satisfying job.

I'm surprised you don't get some real high calibre candidates who don't need or care about the money but want to do something more fun after a corporate career.

Being a flag winning CEO would be way more satisfying than anything money could buy.

Gershwin
Club Player

From The Advertiser:

"ST KILDA’S headhunting mission to lure Adelaide chief executive Steven Trigg to fill the vacancy in the Saints’ top seat has been shot down at its first attempt.

Trigg this week told the Saints he will not walk away from his commitment to see the Crows enter the new Adelaide Oval this season — and he wants to be part of Adelaide’s revival for on-field success.

“There is unfinished business,” Trigg said today. “And this club’s shown me enormous loyalty and support (after the Kurt Tippett saga). I’m not going to nick off within five minutes of that.”

Trigg’s rebuff of the Saints — who want an experienced AFL leader to run their operations — leaves St Kilda to look at former Hawthorn and Essendon chief executive Ian Robson and former AFL football operations chief Adrian Anderson.

Anderson left the AFL last year to join Cricket Australia as its integrity officer."

summertime and the living is easy ........
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
How can anyone argue that Nettlefold wasn't useless? Just look at the KPI's. Membership down, sponsorship down, performance /ladder position down, finances down. Need I say more. Useless. The benefit of cronyism. Will be glad to see the back of him. On performance, quite possibly the worst CEO we've ever had. And that's saying something, seeing as we had that tool Fraser as his predecessor.
Totally agree, been saying it for a while.

He is actually worse than useless, considering he took home a nice little pay packet each year he was there.

However it's not the first time complete morons have been put into positions of influence and power.

Just sayin

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

If Summers is still keeping clownfold as acting CEO then I have to question if Summers knows what he's doing

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Freebird
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:

The worse decision nettlefold made was installing Lyon as coach.

Recruitment and development fell away and replaced by Lyon's big bodied witches hats.

Kicking backwards and all out defence turned people away by droves especially when we started losing and still kicking the ball backwards not taking the game on albeit many duds he (under Lyons command) had recruited.

I only know there were eight of us religiously at all home games reserved seats etc and now 3 of us go to some games..no reserved seats.

I think you will find Lyon has more to answer for Membership, sponsorship, performance, ladder position and finances being down than nettlefold.

Where nettlefold failed was not realising what was happening and reacting too late by bringing in Pelchin.

suss
Club Player

Gershwin wrote:From The Advertiser:

"ST KILDA’S headhunting mission to lure Adelaide chief executive Steven Trigg to fill the vacancy in the Saints’ top seat has been shot down at its first attempt.

Trigg this week told the Saints he will not walk away from his commitment to see the Crows enter the new Adelaide Oval this season — and he wants to be part of Adelaide’s revival for on-field success.

“There is unfinished business,” Trigg said today. “And this club’s shown me enormous loyalty and support (after the Kurt Tippett saga). I’m not going to nick off within five minutes of that.”

Trigg’s rebuff of the Saints — who want an experienced AFL leader to run their operations — leaves St Kilda to look at former Hawthorn and Essendon chief executive Ian Robson and former AFL football operations chief Adrian Anderson.

Anderson left the AFL last year to join Cricket Australia as its integrity officer."
So two of our main targets have been Robson, dumped from Essendon after the peptide scandal, and Trigg, currently on suspension for draft tampering. Shapelle Corby - come on down.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
White Winmar wrote:

Recruitment and development fell away and replaced by Lyon's big bodied witches hats.

Kicking backwards and all out defence turned people away by droves especially when we started losing and still kicking the ball backwards not taking the game on albeit many duds he (under Lyons command) had recruited.

I only know there were eight of us religiously at all home games reserved seats etc and now 3 of us go to some games..no reserved seats.

I think you will find Lyon has more to answer for Membership, sponsorship, performance, ladder position and finances being down than nettlefold.

Where nettlefold failed was not realising what was happening and reacting too late by bringing in Pelchin.

I hope that post is a joke.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Here's an idea- how about a woman? I'm sure at least one NRL club has a woman CEO. And Richmond now has a female president and the world hasn't collapsed as we know it.

At least it would eradicate the boys club mentality, might have enough gumption to stand up to Dimwit and bullies like Eddie Maguire.

We've gone all these pages of discussing candidates with shady pasts or shady clubs with shady pasts. Time to open up with fresh eyes and try other options.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:If Summers is still keeping clownfold as acting CEO then I have to question if Summers knows what he's doing
They said Dillon had taken over weeks ago: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-30/s ... nterim-ceo

Freebird
Club Player

Is Boring footy with poor recruiting no development something you find funny Tugger?
Your life spent on SS childishly contradicting most threads!!

You oppose every BM post like one of those anoying young teens who knows best but in reality you bring nothing to SS but childish contravert.

I'm an occassional reader with few posts but you and JB live here beating your chest as some keyboard hero with no life (how could you have one when you're on here most of the day every day).

I find ss sometimes informative and interesting but none of this is furnished by you or JB.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:Is Boring footy with poor recruiting no development something you find funny Tugger?
Your life spent on SS childishly contradicting most threads!!

You oppose every BM post like one of those anoying young teens who knows best but in reality you bring nothing to SS but childish contravert.

I'm an occassional reader with few posts but you and JB live here beating your chest as some keyboard hero with no life (how could you have one when you're on here most of the day every day).

I find ss sometimes informative and interesting but none of this is furnished by you or JB.

You are continuing your humour.

I would suggest you aare the one being contradicting by saying the worst mistake Nettlefold made was making RL coach. Luckily you dislike my posting. Now I know I make sense.

onlooker2
Club Player

I am not so sure Nettlefold was in the chair when Lyon was initially appointed

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:I can't see too much evidence of anything great that he has contributed to the Saints, over his several years on our board - maybe we were not paying enough !!

You know that the board members aren't paid right?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
White Winmar wrote:

Lol bloody Freo made the same mistake. Basket case.

Your mates just don't go now - because they are fair weathers. They were there during Lyon because we were winning.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Freebird wrote:
White Winmar wrote:

Lol bloody Freo made the same mistake. Basket case.

Your mates just don't go now - because they are fair weathers. They were there during Lyon because we were winning.

Rubbish. I heard thousands of our supporters complaining when we made two GF'S and even more complained when we won 19 in a row. It was much better when he left. Many loved it last year when we won 5 games for the whole season. And i have heard lately many saying they wont join the saints until we erase RL name from our record books.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
That's a good point cairnsman.

From another angle I'm always surprised you don't get more high profile applicants for these kind of jobs.

I mean the pay is not 'high' for an asx 100 CEO and the pay is probably way too high for such a low turnover.
By rights the pay should probably only be 300 or 400k but it would be a great fun and satisfying job.

I'm surprised you don't get some real high calibre candidates who don't need or care about the money but want to do something more fun after a corporate career.

Being a flag winning CEO would be way more satisfying than anything money could buy.

Yeah I wonder if a better model for management of an AFL club would be to cash in one executive manager such as the CEO for two operational/project managers on contracts to achieve very specific tasks/goals. They would report directly to the chairman and the chairman would also have to role up the sleeves and be a hands on manager himself.

If you add up all of the executive managers that sit on AFL club boards and compare that to the total turnover and staff they oversee it starts to look like a lopsided arrangement.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We will never know if RL is any good during a rebuild at the Saints. Fact.

SW was useless. That's a fact also.

So how could've RL been much worse than SW???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Freebird
Club Player

Your drifting as usual guys...when did I say Lyon could not coach albeit very boring, it's his recruiting and development where he failed. For freo's sake he has learnt the clubs future is also important

I wonder if GT would have gone into a grand final with both Eddy and MacQualter (neither had played a half decent game all year ok maybe 1 or 2 average games). They played all year in a grand final side delisted (strange) and were not picked up by any other club. Why was this?

You wonder why someone like Jaxons would come on here with knowledge just to be shot down by keyboard wanks .

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: I wonder if GT would have gone into a grand final with both Eddy and MacQualter ...... They played all year in a grand final side delisted (strange) and were not picked up by any other club. Why was this?
That's not true for either player.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

onlooker2 wrote:I am not so sure Nettlefold was in the chair when Lyon was initially appointed
I'm not sure, Greg westaway wasn't was he?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
onlooker2 wrote:I am not so sure Nettlefold was in the chair when Lyon was initially appointed
I'm not sure, Greg westaway wasn't was he?
Lyon was appointed by the Butters Board.

Freebird
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
Freebird wrote: I wonder if GT would have gone into a grand final with both Eddy and MacQualter ...... They played all year in a grand final side delisted (strange) and were not picked up by any other club. Why was this?
That's not true for either player.

I was furious all year of their selections..Lyon trapped himself by not developing other players and was stuck with them.