The good, the bad and the future!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: The good, the bad and the future!

BringBackMadDog wrote:You have to be kidding re: Roberton, that was his first serious hitout of the year, he had surgery over summer and has missed a fair chunk of pre-season. He got better as the game went on, his kicking is better than average, he's 6'4" and quick. He is a walk up start in our best 22.
hickey had 38 hitouts and his tap work around the ground was good. He was the best ruck man on the ground last night by a fair distance.
Its DUNSTAN not Duncan
Maister is a good forward but should never play ruck again, thats why we have Longer and Hickey
all in all good summary by the op,,,,......think stanley had a leg injury though....maister is too short to play in the ruck and not good enough to play as a key forward.......bench player at best.....

we got walloped big time in the stats department...... it's hard to work out how we were still in a winning position with ten minutes to go.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I hope I am wrong but I don't think Stanley is going to make it. I really hope that I am wrong but (and I shudder to utter these words) he reminded me of Tommy Walsh last night. All at sea.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:I didn't see the match but why didn't Longer get more match time?

I watched the game and still dont know!

He was subbed on at half time and subbed out during the last quarter!

Obviously something up. I wouldn't imagine that was a plan....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:I didn't see the match but why didn't Longer get more match time?

I watched the game and still dont know!

He was subbed on at half time and subbed out during the last quarter!

Obviously something up. I wouldn't imagine that was a plan....

He actually played a bit in the second quarter and that was when we played our best. It wasnt a night for 2 ruckmen. Not sure there is ever a night for 2 ruckmen.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bottom 3 in 14..........

..Incredible really when you look at sides like Sydney,the Dorks, the Skunks and Cats...we were up there with them if not better......now look at us and look at them......... :|

we must be the most durable fans in the League

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Don't most people have average skills under pressure

Lazar Legendary?! 90 quality games in 9 seasons?

Ill take a bet on the Holmes - Stanley thing.... Barring significant injury? Rhys will play 20 Holmes 0

Didn't know Josh Saunders had standards yet

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Don't most people have average skills under pressure

Ill take a bet on the Holmes - Stanley thing.... Barring significant injury? Rhys will play 20 Holmes 0

Stanley hasnt played 20 games in his whole career in 1 season so name your price BM!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
BigMart wrote:Don't most people have average skills under pressure

Stanley hasnt played 20 games in his whole career in 1 season so name your price BM!
+1

I'll take on BM also!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Is the bet the one raised early I. The thread.... That Holmes will go past him? Sure, ill bet on that

Stanley played 18 last year and 12 the year before, only injury keeping him from senior footy..... Not sure he's even played at Sandy since 2011

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:bottom 3 in 14..........

..Incredible really when you look at sides like Sydney,the Dorks, the Skunks and Cats...we were up there with them if not better......now look at us and look at them......... :|

simple really ...
the swans buy their way to stay competitive
the Hawks have been very good at making the most of their draft picks as well as trading really really well
by Scunks i assume you mean Collingwood they have had success securing decent trades that are heavily in their favour they also have the $$ to develop the players that they pluck from the draft a lot better than we have
Geelong winning flags has a way of getting people to WANT to play for you they have been able to keep most of their stars at a modest wage to keep them in the action come trade week ect. they also have been pretty good at getting games into guys to refill the holes left by retirments ...

us on the other hand have drafted poorly , have been paying top dollar to our stars therefor not haveing any cap space , been on the wrong end of favour in regards to trades , are lucky to have 2 cents to rub together ...

our rebuild is a compleate overhaul not just a quick tune up

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

no idea - but I can only assume we have a plan for minutes played for each player over the 3 games.
so lets see how it pans out .

gringo
Saintsational Legend

If we had Hutchings, Cripps and Lynch who will all likely make it at other clubs- the first two both in WCEs bests the other night they might have helped the recruiting look better.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I agree with Bring Back Mad Dog on Roberton. He's a fine player and if you go back over the games last year, you'll find his kicking was very good. Had a long lay-off due to ankle surgery over the summer, so it'll be another month before he hits full fitness. With Gilbert missing for the first few rounds, Roberton will definitely play.

Templeton just looks like a kid who loves to run and take the game on. He reminds me of a young Austinn Jones in that respect.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
The Fireman wrote:bottom 3 in 14..........

simple really ...
the swans buy their way to stay competitive
the Hawks have been very good at making the most of their draft picks as well as trading really really well
by Scunks i assume you mean Collingwood they have had success securing decent trades that are heavily in their favour they also have the $$ to develop the players that they pluck from the draft a lot better than we have
Geelong winning flags has a way of getting people to WANT to play for you they have been able to keep most of their stars at a modest wage to keep them in the action come trade week ect. they also have been pretty good at getting games into guys to refill the holes left by retirments ...

us on the other hand have drafted poorly , have been paying top dollar to our stars therefor not haveing any cap space , been on the wrong end of favour in regards to trades , are lucky to have 2 cents to rub together ...

our rebuild is a compleate overhaul not just a quick tune up
then we need to draft from the top down.

GoMilney

Time to take a chill pill imo. This time of the year belongs to the Sports Scientist. Apart from the first quarter we were competitive. All the new recruits showed something. Its the first game of the year guys are going to be rusty. We are not going to be top 8 but I think we will be competitive. As supporters enjoy the ride of the upcoming players and not bag out guys who are wearing the red white and black jumper eg Stanley or any other Saints player

hayes66
Club Player

gringo wrote:If we had Hutchings, Cripps and Lynch who will all likely make it at other clubs- the first two both in WCEs bests the other night they might have helped the recruiting look better.
If they do make it at their respective clubs, whose fault is that? The St Kilda recruiters for not realizing they would need to go to another club? The present administration?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

hayes66 wrote:
gringo wrote:If we had Hutchings, Cripps and Lynch who will all likely make it at other clubs- the first two both in WCEs bests the other night they might have helped the recruiting look better.
If they do make it at their respective clubs, whose fault is that? The St Kilda recruiters for not realizing they would need to go to another club? The present administration?

I'm saying perhaps we didn't recruit so badly we didn't retain them. Under Lyon there were a few dispirited players jaded by lack of opportunity I feel.

hayes66
Club Player

I'm saying perhaps we didn't recruit so badly we didn't retain them. Under Lyon there were a few dispirited players jaded by lack of opportunity I feel.[/quote]
Interesting that you say that because supporters, media and Scott Watters would disagree.
The facts are, right now, the drafting of the 07 to 010 has produced, the current St Kilda best and fairest and possibly the only elite player under 25 at he club. Who of the current crop will be A graders?. The leading goal kicker of an AFL club season 2013. The full back of a Grand Final team. Is that great? No but that's at its stand now and there are suggestions this may improve.
Many people/supporters/media believe Ross didn't play the kids because they weren't any good. If Lynch had played more would he have been traded? If Steven had played more would he have taken so long to be the player he is now? If Hutchings had been given some time, like more than one season, would we now have a extra inside mid, that is possibly better than Ross?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
hayes66 wrote:

I'm saying perhaps we didn't recruit so badly we didn't retain them. Under Lyon there were a few dispirited players jaded by lack of opportunity I feel.

I feel there were also many happy players who realised they had a great coach but hey we lost Ball. At least since RL we havent lost any players.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I feel there were also many happy players who realised they had a great coach but hey we lost Ball. At least since RL we havent lost any players.

It goes both ways. Because we had so many existing senior mids Kobe Stevens went to the Dogs where he saw a lot more opportunity. If Goddard and Dal had already gone he would probably have seen us as a more attractive option. I'm saying that the seniors would have been extremely happy in the inner sanctum but Armo was as good as gone if Ross had stayed. Jack Steven said Watters spoke to him more in one week than the whole time ross was in charge. There were rumblings that if you were at Sandy you had no contact with the senior coach.

Giving the players a word with what they need to do might just keep them engaged. Richo apparently has done that already with Weller. Told him exactly what he needs to do to play seniors and be a better footballer. Ross was an amazing game day coach no doubt but he is no messiah. His failings don't suit a financially strapped club who would need other staff to cover his perceived lack of interest in some areas away from match day coaching.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It goes both ways. Because we had so many existing senior mids Kobe Stevens went to the Dogs where he saw a lot more opportunity. If Goddard and Dal had already gone he would probably have seen us as a more attractive option. I'm saying that the seniors would have been extremely happy in the inner sanctum but Armo was as good as gone if Ross had stayed. Jack Steven said Watters spoke to him more in one week than the whole time ross was in charge. There were rumblings that if you were at Sandy you had no contact with the senior coach.

Giving the players a word with what they need to do might just keep them engaged. Richo apparently has done that already with Weller. Told him exactly what he needs to do to play seniors and be a better footballer. Ross was an amazing game day coach no doubt but he is no messiah. His failings don't suit a financially strapped club who would need other staff to cover his perceived lack of interest in some areas away from match day coaching.
A coach needs to publicly show confidence in each and every player on the list (up until the time they are culled or retire) and a coach should never place a ceiling on what a team is likely to achieve. Valuable leaders and quality footballers like Ball and Hudghton got their personal revenge on Lyon. Lyon not only made Luke and Max feel like they were a liability to the team, but he humiliated these players imho with his words and public displays of no-confidence.

We lost youngsters because they felt Lyon's policy of recruiting recycled players meant they were not getting the opportunity to improve and develop. At least since RL we havent lost any players.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:. . At least since RL we havent lost any players.
Are you sure about that?
Last edited by kosifantutti on Sun 23 Feb 2014 3:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

A coach needs to publicly show confidence in each and every player on the list (up until the time they are culled or retire) and a coach should never place a ceiling on what a team is likely to achieve. Valuable leaders and quality footballers like Ball and Hudghton got their personal revenge on Lyon. Lyon not only made Luke and Max feel like they were a liability to the team, but he humiliated these players imho with his words and public displays of no-confidence.

We lost youngsters because they felt Lyon's policy of recruiting recycled players meant they were not getting the opportunity to improve and develop. At least since RL we havent lost any players.
Who are these young players we lost when RL was there? And there is some pretty good guess work in Gringos post.

hayes66
Club Player

Lost is not necessary a term I would use but I would say several were starved of opportunities. I believe Lynch ended up being traded due to the fact he had limited games. Steven had played less than ten games under Ross's reign as he preferred a player like Eddy. Who I think for memory played around thirty games. Hutchings none and was delisted and whilst not a young player we did lose Luke Ball.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Scollop wrote:. . At least since RL we havent lost any players.
Are you sure about that?
I know we lost quality players. Did we lose any youngsters?

Not sure if Dal or BJ or Macca were going to be part of our resurgence into the top 8 and hopefully the top 4 or whether indeed they'll still be around in 3 years time.

By the way - how did BJ play in 2012, or how did Dal Santo go last year? Did their motivation and form drop off because of the new coach? Seems a few others improved.

Were they sooking because of what RL had made them and most of the footy public believe...y'know... that 'it was the end of an era'!! Did they really believe that their team mates weren't good enough to help them achieve their goal of a premiership or was it purely the incentives and cash on the table from other clubs that swayed their decision
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 23 Feb 2014 4:00pm, edited 1 time in total.