saints v gws

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: saints v gws

Sainternist wrote:
ralphsmith wrote:7 super goals to Gws? What the hell!

I didn't see the game, but what the hell?
Neither did I. Would be interesting to know how many of those came from giving away 50m penalties from outside of the 50m arc to put them in easy range.

None!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Junior
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:

Neither did I. Would be interesting to know how many of those came from giving away 50m penalties from outside of the 50m arc to put them in easy range.
None, all from outside fifty. Can't get a nine pointer from a fifty meter penalty putting you inside the fifty.

Scored at least one from the logo on the wing. Never seen anything like it.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Massive gale blowing in the second towards the GWS goal - scored five in that quarter.
and wow, lot of overreaction to a practice match - we played like it was one, they played to win (unfortunately going to be hotter comp for spots at GWS than at the saints).
Not having Steven, Joey, and now possibly Hayes for round one will hurt though. Might just squeak past Melbourne.
Or not.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
wolfpup
Club Player

whilst i am disappointing by the loss and surprised by the amount of 9 pointers by GWS, from the 1st half of the game that i watched before heading out i saw some positives which were Dunstan, Hickey, Longer, Geary seemed to be everywhere and liked some of Wrights work again. The Giants 1st quarter goals came from turn overs (nearly all of them), we made quite a few skill errors that was to be expected, we certainly seemed to be getting the ball earlier on.

Anyways, my 2 cents.

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:

Massive gale blowing in the second towards the GWS goal - scored five in that quarter.
and wow, lot of overreaction to a practice match - we played like it was one, they played to win (unfortunately going to be hotter comp for spots at GWS than at the saints).
Not having Steven, Joey, and now possibly Hayes for round one will hurt though. Might just squeak past Melbourne.
Or not.
Massive gale? Surely you jest? Was it Megan Gale?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

Or not.
Massive gale? Surely you jest? Was it Megan Gale?
Clearly the ball was carrying a long long way to that end, an extra 10 meters. We failed miserably using but

Bring back the Lockett era
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:

There was a very strong breeze in the second that we could not make use of in the first and third. Also a few went right through a pack and rolled through. Simple stuff - get someone to get a hand on it!

They kicked 5 super goals in the second and blew us out of the water

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:
joffaboy wrote: So if it is like the 80's will you and the rest drop off, or just piss and moan?

Sometimes I think Saints fans enjoy being crap and being victims.

Still I don't care how bad we are, that term was disgraceful, as bad as I have seen since the days of Timmy
Show me where I'm pissing and moaning? Only one person here pissing and moaning. And it's not me.
Hint: Look in the mirror.

I'm not saying I'm enjoying it. Just stating that we're not that good.
p.s been a member for 43 years - so take your "drop off" comment and stick it where it belongs.
lol - the hysterics about the 80's wasn't moaning???? Really that was a moan and a poor one.

So you have been a member for 43 years - have you ever enjoyed the game?

Comparing a practice match with the 80's :roll:
No it wasn't a moan, what I meant (which is different to how you interpreted it i.e. YOUR projection) is that we mightn't win many games. I would've thought this was obvious, as we are in a rebuilding phase.

As for "have I ever enjoyed the game", once again a ridiculous interpretation.

This is a year for enjoying the times we do win, appreciating the efforts of old veterans, and loving seeing the young guys improve.
And going by your scattergun responses in this thread, it'll also be a year for laughing at the hysterics of wannabe internet heroes who take out their personal frustrations by attacking other posters.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Yes it was only a practice match but we are rubbish. Lost count of the number of handballs that went to teammates feet. Revised my prediction from bottom 4 to plain old bottom.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I didn't see the game.

But looking at the stats Dunstan had the most disposals in the side - 22 - in only 68% game time! 15 were contested too which is extremely solid. 7 clearances, 4 inside 50s, one goal. Looks like he can play!

On the downside, he had 6 clangers and a disposal efficiency of 45%. Work to do there. But he can obviously find the footy so that's a good start.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote: Massive gale? Surely you jest? Was it Megan Gale?
Massive gale = 'a rather decent wind' in football vernacular. Hence dermie calling on Hunt to have a shot when kicking out from a behind.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:I didn't see the game.

But looking at the stats Dunstan had the most disposals in the side - 22 - in only 68% game time! 15 were contested too which is extremely solid. 7 clearances, 4 inside 50s, one goal. Looks like he can play!

On the downside, he had 6 clangers and a disposal efficiency of 45%. Work to do there. But he can obviously find the footy so that's a good start.
Dunstan will be great, I would suggest he's already starting 22, especially with our midfield woes.
As for his clangers, it was a windy day, few of his possessions were pressure free (being an inside mid) and our outside runners were non existent - so no easy give offs.
He doesn't go to ground when tackled and is built ready to go.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
bergholt wrote:I didn't see the game.

Dunstan will be great, I would suggest he's already starting 22, especially with our midfield woes.
As for his clangers, it was a windy day, few of his possessions were pressure free (being an inside mid) and our outside runners were non existent - so no easy give offs.
He doesn't go to ground when tackled and is built ready to go.
Yep clearly starting 22. Good luck stopping him in a tackle in 3-4 years time

Bring back the Lockett era
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Can't get a nine pointer from a fifty meter penalty putting you inside the fifty.
You used to be able to. Have they changed that rule? Would be ridiculous if they did. Mind you, the whole concept of a super goal is bloody ridiculous, IMO.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
Junior wrote:Can't get a nine pointer from a fifty meter penalty putting you inside the fifty.
You used to be able to. Have they changed that rule? Would be ridiculous if they did. Mind you, the whole concept of a super goal is bloody ridiculous, IMO.
Well I think they should bring back the play-on if the ball hits any of the posts and bounces back into play. After all, the ball hasn't "crossed" the goal line and makes the game a lot more exciting.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:

Not many -a few were just lucky, one just a super mark and a 60+ meter kick with the wind from big Jonny Patton. My boy Bugg was outstanding for the first half and Toby Greene was going pretty well. Their kids aren't so kid like any more. I think their list looks pretty good because they got good tall timber. GCS has great mids but are a bit light in the tall department.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote: Massive gale? Surely you jest? Was it Megan Gale?
Massive gale = 'a rather decent wind' in football vernacular. Hence dermie calling on Hunt to have a shot when kicking out from a behind.
Surely you realise that they just wanted Hunt to go the torp all day?
Got really pissed off when he handballed.

It's all about being predictable with the commentary!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think it was hardly surprising the kids from GWS went on an adrenalin rush, must of felt good after their tough initial years.

It was like last week, one crappy quarter but GWS made us pay an awful lot more than the doggies.

I'm biding my time, but id like to see a shakeup of the forward line, just think if we're going down the path of rebuilding...lets be prepared to make calls on guys just shy of this level.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

One crappy quarter?

One crappy game!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I think it was hardly surprising the kids from GWS went on an adrenalin rush, must of felt good after their tough initial years.

It was like last week, one crappy quarter but GWS made us pay an awful lot more than the doggies.

I'm biding my time, but id like to see a shakeup of the forward line, just think if we're going down the path of rebuilding...lets be prepared to make calls on guys just shy of this level.

What do we do Rooey is a lock then Maister, Stanley, Milera, TDL, Siposs and Lee are the only real options. Maybe we just sit Bruce in there or Longer/ Hickster.

None of those above will send shivers through the comp though.

melbourne have several including Hogan, clarke and Dawes. Howe is like their 4th tallish forward and is way ahead of any of ours in that list above. Saunders is tipped to play forward but thats about as shook up as it gets so far. The Templeton of doom might need elevating for Milneys old role.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:We had a few good players missing - the were full strength - they had 7 more scoring shots than us - it was a practice match - meh
they were not full strength
From their best 22 they were probably missing Scully, Mohr.........??

Loved Billings 40 to 50m pass to Dunstan?? on the forward flank in the last - pinpoint and looked class

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Have our guys been on a massive training load in the past week? They looked like they were running through treacle from about 20 minutes into the first quarter. I hope that's the case.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Have our guys been on a massive training load in the past week? They looked like they were running through treacle from about 20 minutes into the first quarter. I hope that's the case.
Yes they have. See tony74 post and everyone can STFU and take a chill pill

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

joffaboy wrote:Not making excuses however Tony 74 said the group was on a very heavy load at training. All of them look heavy in the legs, even Riewoldt and Lenny look tired.
The skills and turnovers however are still appalling.
Glad to hear that as the boys looked spent at half time. Even Gerard Healy suggested the players may have been on a heavy training load. It would make sense in terms of their poor disposal and at times sheer lack of effort.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Where did Websterand Dunstan play???