Junction Oval on the brink of collapse

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Junction Oval on the brink of collapse

onlooker2 wrote:A few comments about the Fitzroy St ground. According to my information StK Football Club left the ground because the financial arrangements with the StK Cricket Club had never worked in the fooball club's favour. It was costing the football club too much money to stay and retain Fitzroy St as its home ground. I could be wrong but his is what my father told me.

When the opportunity to move to Linton St came up following the demise of the resident VFA Club the decision was made to relocate.
That sounds about right. Why? Because that's the exact same reason Fitzroy left the ground in the mid 80's. St Kilda Cricket Club screwed them over. Quite ironic that they are now being screwed over.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

GrumpyOne wrote:
Saint 58 wrote:One vote from me

Forgetting the logistics and money of s moment it makes total sense
So surely it's worth investigating in very broad terms what would be involved and required
with all parties involved
Trouble is that both the logistic issues and money problems are huge.

And we are close to broke.
We don't have a $6.5 million debt (in turn of the century money)... :idea:

We also don't pocket $850,000 from every true home game that we play in front of an average crowd size of only 26,000. :idea:

(Poodles have been offered $750,000 per game to shift some of their home matches to you-know-where.)

St Kilda is, was and always will be way groovier than Struggle Town. (Sorry Doc. :wink: )

Seriously, how hard should it be to market an AFL club bearing the name of, based in and playing (say, six per year home games) in hip, cool, bohemian St Kilda by the seaside(?) 8-)

A marketer's dream I reckon. :idea:

So dream big! Think big! Make.it.happen.Saintas!

PS: Besides, now it seems even Pluggs is on board. :D
posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&t=84140&p=1435504#pr1435493
And we all know that Pluggs is the bloke who once told Wilbur and Orville that their idea would never get off the ground. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
onlooker2 wrote:A few comments about the Fitzroy St ground. According to my information StK Football Club left the ground because the financial arrangements with the StK Cricket Club had never worked in the fooball club's favour. It was costing the football club too much money to stay and retain Fitzroy St as its home ground. I could be wrong but his is what my father told me.

When the opportunity to move to Linton St came up following the demise of the resident VFA Club the decision was made to relocate.
That sounds about right. Why? Because that's the exact same reason Fitzroy left the ground in the mid 80's. St Kilda Cricket Club screwed them over. Quite ironic that they are now being screwed over.

What's actually happened with St.K CC? Are they being forced to vacate because of financial unsustainability? Is Cricket Victoria's plan for the Junction on the scrapheap?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Saint 58 wrote:One vote from me

Forgetting the logistics and money of s moment it makes total sense
So surely it's worth investigating in very broad terms what would be involved and required
with all parties involved
Trouble is that both the logistic issues and money problems are huge.

And we are close to broke.
We don't have a $6.5 million debt (in turn of the century money)... :idea:

We also don't pocket $850,000 from every true home game that we play in front of an average crowd size of only 26,000. :idea:

(Poodles have been offered $750,000 per game to shift some of their home matches to you-know-where.)

St Kilda is, was and always will be way groovier than Struggle Town. (Sorry Doc. :wink: )

Seriously, how hard should it be to market an AFL club bearing the name of, based in and playing (say, six per year home games) in hip, cool, bohemian St Kilda by the seaside(?) 8-)

A marketer's dream I reckon. :idea:

So dream big! Think big! Make.it.happen.Saintas!

PS: Besides, now it seems even Pluggs is on board. :D
posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&t=84140&p=1435504#pr1435493
And we all know that Pluggs is the bloke who once told Wilbur and Orville that their idea would never get off the ground. :wink:

Yep im on board. games at the junction oval. That is hilarious. 100 million to get it to a standard where about 12k could go. Yep make it happen. Sounds real sensible. Who the hell are the poodles and what the hell is struggle town. I know you have denied you are Patrick Smith but he also uses names that people dont understand like cornflakes.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:Who the hell are the poodles and what the hell is struggle town.

I know you have denied you are Patrick Smith but he also uses names that people dont understand like cornflakes.
Now Pluggs, I know that you do know the answer to your first two questions. :)

But the third??? :?

Ok, I realise that you are a bloke who understands that VB is not just a breakfast food :P , but, not knowing what these things are...? :shock:

plugger66 wrote:Yep im on board.
8-)

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
onlooker2
Club Player

What's actually happened with St.K CC? Are they being forced to vacate because of financial unsustainability? Is Cricket Victoria's plan for the Junction on the scrapheap?[/quote]

The Junction Oval was supposed to be Vic Cricket's No2 venue behind the MCG and I recollect a big slab of its upkeep (ie the turf wickets) came either directly or indirectly from the Vic Govt. This has stopped or at the very least has been substantially reduced so Vic Cricket now has to put all the money up for the upkeep and it isn't going to. StK CC can't because it doesn't have the money to do it. This is coupled with the fact that in more recent times Vic Cricket has taken some of the more high profile games to big regional centres eg Bendigo rather than the Junction Oval. I think Junction Oval is finished as a major cricket venue.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:

For those who have a few minutes, the following is a really interesting read on the topic of our various changes of location... and interestingly, it's from a Poodle's supporter..
But there were wider issues evident in these opening lines from the 1963 annual report: “In summing up, your committee considers that the present method of distribution of football revenue is archaic and farcical.” Those words gave a hint of what was to come for a club tired of having the bulk of its profit from match receipts “siphoned off” to the ground manager, St Kilda Cricket Club.

The only way for St Kilda to beat this arrangement was to secure its own ground. In 1960, the idea of moving to a ground such as Elsternwick Park had been aborted when the St Kilda Cricket Club had promised to spend 7000 pounds on room improvements at the Junction Oval and it was announced that the football club would stay there for 10 years. Despite attracting record crowds, the club was losing vast amounts of money it needed to compete on the escalating inter-state recruiting market.

http://www.fnwb.com.au/uncategorized/st ... but-didnt/
I'd love us to return and take charge of our old ground... and now is the opportunity. 8-)

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Let it go Dave....it's cruelty to animals.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

onlooker2 wrote: The Junction Oval was supposed to be Vic Cricket's No2 venue behind the MCG and I recollect a big slab of its upkeep (ie the turf wickets) came either directly or indirectly from the Vic Govt. This has stopped or at the very least has been substantially reduced so Vic Cricket now has to put all the money up for the upkeep and it isn't going to. StK CC can't because it doesn't have the money to do it. This is coupled with the fact that in more recent times Vic Cricket has taken some of the more high profile games to big regional centres eg Bendigo rather than the Junction Oval. I think Junction Oval is finished as a major cricket venue.

Thanks for that O2. Shame. I used to enjoy going to watch cricket at the Junction. Would have been a perfect Shield venue.