Belated game review & interesting insights!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Belated game review & interesting insights!

I will start with some observations and player reviews and then I will give some interesting insight and players and club officials I noticed from being situated next to the interchange box and being able to hear the coaches directions from there UHF radios (walkie talkie).

It has been mentioned by a number of other people, but the difference in GWS running capacities and preparedness to work to work off the ball was 20% above the Saints. As a collective group our midfield is ‘one paced’ if not slow and struggled big time hitting targets either by hands or foot. We were absolutely slaughtered at the fall of the ball and on the spread.

Our rotation policy (is there one?) on an off the interchange bench was an absolute disaster. I lost count of the number of times our players would leave the field of play to sprint to the bench to leave a GWS PLAYER unattended or we were out positioned by the player returning to the field too late. Midway through the 3rd I think it was a message came from the coach only to rotate when we have possession of the ball – but that seemed to fall on deaf ears as the same errors continued. They really have to look at that it was far too costly just to give players a spell. What about each player being dedicated an opponent and only rotate when they do at least that will the number equal!

Good games:
Dunstan – Great game by the young fella is a potential rising star winner! What an indictment on the rest of our midfield though when a first year player collects the most possessions and shows the way!
Hickey – Had a good game rucked well, took some strong marks and works hard.
Webster – Is by far and away now our best user of the football and had another very good game.
Monty – A typical high level game by Monty, is top shelf and a club champion!
Savage – Really had a go for his new clubs tackled chased and worked hard.
Schneider – For the amount of time on the ground had an impact and a real crack is a leader.

Average games:
Geary – Played midfield for most and works hard but needs some polish with his skills.
Longer – He rucked well and out bodied Mumford with shear strength (impressive) a couple of times but needs a lot of work on his around the ground efforts.
Curren – Battled hard but his disposals let him down – kicked a nice goal.
Weller – Should be elevated on that performance, hard at it probably needs to lose some bulk to add to his running capacities but otherwise is a better option than others in our midfield.
Newnes – Not back to his best form after shoulder operation but building, doubt he will a midfielder though.
Delaney – At the ground I thought he played and spoilt well but did have the one bad clanger.
Simpkin – I like his aggression and spoiling but needs to start taking the game on more.
Wright – Solid game but his opponents got away on him a few times.
Dempster – Serviceable – panics when contesting against key position players.

Below Average (rest of team):
Ross – There are two words to describe Seb Ross ‘disinterested & lazy’. He never looks like he is into the game and is an atrocious runner. On one occasion in the last ¼ he and Treloar were involved in a contest on the wing, GWS kicked the ball forward. Treloar sprinted the next 60 metres to the next contest and Ross would have been 30 metres behind him by the time Treloar had his next disposal. Disgraceful for a supposed midfielder. Of all our midfielders he would come off the ground and would be ‘hardly be blowing with no perspiration whatsoever’. Simply not having a go and the coach gave him a spray at one time during the game but IMO had little effect on his output.
Gwilt – Is not a key position player and the coaching staff at St Kilda need to recognise this and stop crucifying him. Have heard he has his mobility back – didn’t see any of that looked slow and out of touch.
Lee – Kicked two nice goals but is another who simply doesn’t have the capacity to work hard enough. Is another who got a spray from the coach for not working hard enough and not being able to out run a ruckman in Giles who they had playing on him.
Maister – Works hard but drops far too many marks he should take – really lets himself and team down. Also showed poor disposal.
Reiwoldt – I know people named him in the best but the two goals he kicked were from frees and didn’t have an impact other than that. Obviously he is a competitive beast but for a long time club captain he goes off at his team mates far too much (seems to be all about him at times). When he come off after his first spell he gave his team mates on the bench a spray and then the coach via UHF radio directed him how he wanted the forward line set up. Reiwoldt had a complete melt down like a petulant child. Obviously doesn’t like being told what to do and not what you would want to see from you club captain and pin up boy.
Billings – Tough call on a young kid but he is a long way from having an impact at this level. He is another whom copped a spray from the coach re his work load and effort. There is a huge gap between GWS Kelly draft selection # 2 and Billings abilities at this time. I can see why the club were so keen on Kelly.

Insight:
I spoke to the club media guy ‘Joe’ a great ambassador for the club. I commended him on the clubs efforts this year and asked why we had waited so long to get this sort of media/marketing going. He indicated that it as simple as the Head Coach allowing access to the players – Lyon allowed none and was a complete closed book, Watters was a bit better, but Richardson understands the benefits to the club the video and audio media brings. No surprises there I suppose!

The set play directions that come through from the coaching panel had little or no effect on the flow of the game whatsoever! I attempted to make sense of some of the calls but couldn’t see a marked change in set ups at all on the ground. So I gather that is just the team picking up the new coaches requirements.

One of the clubs runners had absolutely no idea about the players, their numbers or positioning. He would get a message from Sexton and no idea where to find the player or who they were. I imagine he got the job just on his running abilities, but actual knowledge of the St Kilda team he was completely defunct – embarrassing.

Adam Kingsley appears highly respected about the club and looks like he is the right hand man.

Danny Sexton does a professional job on the boundary – but Lindsay Gilbee I struggle to see what the club saw in him.

Chris Pelchen is an insipid looking individual who really does look like the ‘silent assassin Watters described him as’. I hope he being in the coached box is just a pre-season thing I would hate to have my boss hanging over my shoulder in pressure situations like match day coaching.

They had Darren Jolly miked up for the afternoon and were recording his interaction with the players etc for his benefit and for some edited stuff for supporters. I have to say though at this time Jolly doesn’t look that excited to be part of the Saints coaching team. Not the best body language shown at times.

The Saints interchange steward – I think his name is Ted? He has been around the club for years, but what an ignorant grumpy individual. The players pay him no respect whatsoever they just come and go off the field as they like. I tried to make conversation with him a couple of times to be completely ignored and after half time I asked what the main coaching message was – only to be stared at in contempt. I know he has got to about 70 but if he continues in that position the club need to send him to do some PR training. He could learn some lessons from Joe in media perhaps!

This is just my perception but I am sure Lenny HAYES is that sold on the current coach just yet. Some of Lenny’s expressions and body language didn’t give the reaction when hearing from the coach of someone who was impressed!

Beau Maister gives off lots of chat on and off the field, but I don’t think his team mates think a lot of what he sprukes – again my perception!

What a difference your (my) perspective is from watching a game live to then watching it on TV. At the game you get a much better feel for the work load the players do away from the ball and their effort around the ball. The other notable difference is noticing the player’s preparedness to work too pick up an opponent when the opposition are in possession.

I now fully understand Leigh Matthews principal of not addressing the players after the game and waiting to review the game and addressing the players on the Monday following. Emotional involvement would be a huge hurdle for some coaches – thankfully this was an NAB game and I could watch it objectively.

Club Recruiting:
I recall when we lost Dawson a number of people suggested we should look at Sam FORST as a Key defender option, but our recruiters decided to let him slide through to the Rookie draft where he was swallowed up by GWS. What a mistake he is going to be a ripper, he has size strength and agility. He can run and kick – kicked a beautiful goal from full back. What is it with our club not being to identify and draft young key defenders?

IMO Seb ROSS was a major recruiting error – he will not make it as any sort of quality midfielder they hoped he would be.

Conclusion:
It’s going to be long long year Sainters we have the worst midfield combination in the competition and far too many other weaknesses over the ground to trouble any of the 17 other teams!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Belated game review & interesting insights!

Fantastic insight WO.

Read every word, so interesting to peak behind the curtain.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Not worried we didnt get Sam Frost. He actually is worried about being delisted at the end of the season. He isnt a certain 22 player at all. The coaches must have swapped around at some stage because Sexton was in the box for at least the first half.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Not worried we didnt get Sam Frost. He actually is worried about being delisted at the end of the season. He isnt a certain 22 player at all. The coaches must have swapped around at some stage because Sexton was in the box for at least the first half.
Plugger I may have his name wrong - he was a fair headed mid sized fairly striking looking guy? Not sure your on the money with Frost he had a blinder and would be starting 22 at club tomorrow!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Not worried we didnt get Sam Frost. He actually is worried about being delisted at the end of the season. He isnt a certain 22 player at all. The coaches must have swapped around at some stage because Sexton was in the box for at least the first half.
Plugger I may have his name wrong - he was a fair headed mid sized fairly striking looking guy? Not sure your on the money with Frost he had a blinder and would be starting 22 at club tomorrow!

I have watched him very closely for 2 years now and he has struggled for all those 2 years. Only watched the first half Saturday and again didnt really notice him. One game doesnt mean he is the starting 22. Danny isnt a striking looking guy so cant help you there im afraid.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:

I have watched him very closely for 2 years now and he has struggled for all those 2 years. Only watched the first half Saturday and again didnt really notice him. One game doesnt mean he is the starting 22. Danny isnt a striking looking guy so cant help you there im afraid.
I think you would be surprised by his size and speed now in game situations...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:

I think you would be surprised by his size and speed now in game situations...

Well you are right there. Look I hope he makes it as he comes from my local club but I havent seen anything from him or his brother to suggest either will make it. I thought Lenny Hayes and Tony Lockett were duds so he may very well make it.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Thanks for that W.O. It's only a "peep" into things, but unfortunately, it sounds like we are a very long way from being "a team" - across all disciplines! A pack of "individuals," following their own agendas, with not much respect for the Coach! It says a lot about the benefits (or lack of) from the Colorado "team building" trip. Things will get worse, not better, if the first few games are heavy losses - a real worry at this time of year.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Junction Oval wrote:Thanks for that W.O. It's only a "peep" into things, but unfortunately, it sounds like we are a very long way from being "a team" - across all disciplines! A pack of "individuals," following their own agendas, with not much respect for the Coach! It says a lot about the benefits (or lack of) from the Colorado "team building" trip. Things will get worse, not better, if the first few games are heavy losses - a real worry at this time of year.
I wish this wasn't so. :(

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Thanks for that W.O. It's only a "peep" into things, but unfortunately, it sounds like we are a very long way from being "a team" - across all disciplines! A pack of "individuals," following their own agendas, with not much respect for the Coach! It says a lot about the benefits (or lack of) from the Colorado "team building" trip. Things will get worse, not better, if the first few games are heavy losses - a real worry at this time of year.
Are you really going to form the opinion that we are a selfish pack of individuals that don't respect the coach just from reading about "the vibe" that someone got watching a practice match in Wagga?

I appreciate the report WO, but I can't understand you expecting a working official to have a chat to you during a match and divulge game plans and coaching messages…

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Im not sure they lack respect for the coach - perhaps it is just a bedding in period. I was more concerned about our lack of running capacities and leg speed we looked terrible!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote:
I wish this wasn't so. :(
It isn't, it's just one fans perception from watching a practice match. Doesn't make it so.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Dragit said :
It isn't, it's just one fans perception from watching a practice match. Doesn't make it so.
Fair enough comment, but I would have been much more comfortable reading a very positive report - even though we lost. More will evolve when the real stuff starts.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Great work on the review, thanks for that.

Although like some of the reviews after the first game, I find it hard take such strong opinions on players and coaches based on a practice match.

If Lenny Hayes looked completely convinced by the new coach only minutes into his first game under him, I'd be very surprised.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

WinnersOnly wrote:
Im not sure they lack respect for the coach - perhaps it is just a bedding in period. I was more concerned about our lack of running capacities and leg speed we looked terrible!

Could that be a result of the heavy training load we are reported to be tapering from right now?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Dragit said :
Fair enough comment, but I would have been much more comfortable reading a very positive report - even though we lost. More will evolve when the real stuff starts.
Not having a crack at WO but he does have a reputation for being a tough critic, aka negative :wink: , so his review should be put into perspective. As I say I'm not having a crack at the review WO has prepared, in fact I appreciate the obvious work he has put in and I enjoyed reading his observations and opinions. As you say, more will evolve when the real stuff starts and hopefully it will give us a clearer picture. Probably first 6 rounds will let us know where we are at, and not just for this season but perhaps for the next 2 or 3, if we don't already know.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:Dragit said :
Not having a crack at WO but he does have a reputation for being a tough critic, aka negative :wink: , so his review should be put into perspective. As I say I'm not having a crack at the review WO has prepared, in fact I appreciate the obvious work he has put in and I enjoyed reading his observations and opinions. As you say, more will evolve when the real stuff starts and hopefully it will give us a clearer picture. Probably first 6 rounds will let us know where we are at, and not just for this season but perhaps for the next 2 or 3, if we don't already know.
Cairnsman I dont think I am negative, but am definitely a tough critic. Anyone who accepts a 68 points loss to the previous years wooden spooners is not serious. I have high expectations for our team and like them wont be satisfied until we win the thing and can sustain sucess!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I was there and I don't think his report was negative. The awful truth was we were terrible. I just hope it's the exception, not the rule. Somehow I think we're in for a long few years. In vino veritas. WO posted after a drink. Truth serum at work.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote: Cairnsman I dont think I am negative, but am definitely a tough critic. Anyone who accepts a 68 points loss to the previous years wooden spooners is not serious. I have high expectations for our team and like them wont be satisfied until we win the thing and can sustain sucess!
I reckon anyone who doesn't expect a team with that much talent to improve rapidly isn't serious.

We're talking 21 first round draft picks… in 3 drafts. 8 of the last 9 top 3 picks.
Picks 1x3,2x3,3x2,4,5,7,9,10,11,12,13,14x2

They may have won the spoon last year, but they will slaughter everyone before long.

Unfortunately we are heading in different directions.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Cairnsman I dont think I am negative, but am definitely a tough critic. Anyone who accepts a 68 points loss to the previous years wooden spooners is not serious. I have high expectations for our team and like them wont be satisfied until we win the thing and can sustain sucess!

Fair point and I respect that you have high expectations, why shouldn't you. Having said that though, I have a question, what are you expecting this year? Yes GWS were woooden spooners last year however it is possible they have improved significantly and could now be better than us. Melbourne could be better also. Does having high expectations mean that we shouldn't accept that teams that were once below us could now be above us?

I remember the reaction last year when we lost to Gold Coast in round one, some supporters were really angry because they felt we were better than the Gold Coast but clearly we weren't. As a supporter I learned a lot from last year, mainly to lower the expectations to reality. We are a long way of the pace but our turn will come again.

spert
Saintsational Legend

It's just pre-season, but I don't see much at all to enthuse about. We got thrashed by GWS and that's all there is to it..they ran harder and wanted the ball more, same as our previous game vs the Dogs..they ran a lot harder to make the contest and own the ball. I just hope that the coach's game plan develops quickly, and some of the young guys step up quickly, though a few of the senior players need to lead the way better than they did against GWS. To be perfectly honest, I reckon Gwilt has lost whatever he had, and I don't think Lenny is far behind, though it pains me to say.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:It's just pre-season, but I don't see much at all to enthuse about. We got thrashed by GWS and that's all there is to it..they ran harder and wanted the ball more, same as our previous game vs the Dogs..they ran a lot harder to make the contest and own the ball. I just hope that the coach's game plan develops quickly, and some of the young guys step up quickly, though a few of the senior players need to lead the way better than they did against GWS. To be perfectly honest, I reckon Gwilt has lost whatever he had, and I don't think Lenny is far behind, though it pains me to say.
Yes, Spert, as a supporter group we are still clinging to the hope that our wonderful veterans can still perform at the peak of their powers. The truth is, they can't. Roo has maybe two years left, Joey as well, but you can stick a fork in the rest of them. They're cooked! Gwilt, Dempster, Schneider, Hayes and Fisher will still produce a bit from time to time, but their days of consistent domination are well behind them. Now is the winter of our discontent. With a few more to follow.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:It's just pre-season, but I don't see much at all to enthuse about. We got thrashed by GWS and that's all there is to it..they ran harder and wanted the ball more, same as our previous game vs the Dogs..they ran a lot harder to make the contest and own the ball. I just hope that the coach's game plan develops quickly, and some of the young guys step up quickly, though a few of the senior players need to lead the way better than they did against GWS. To be perfectly honest, I reckon Gwilt has lost whatever he had, and I don't think Lenny is far behind, though it pains me to say.
Yes, Spert, as a supporter group we are still clinging to the hope that our wonderful veterans can still perform at the peak of their powers. The truth is, they can't. Roo has maybe two years left, Joey as well, but you can stick a fork in the rest of them. They're cooked! Gwilt, Dempster, Schneider, Hayes and Fisher will still produce a bit from time to time, but their days of consistent domination are well behind them. Now is the winter of our discontent. With a few more to follow.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Terrifically written and thorough review WW.

Appreciate all that effort and insight well done.

Ross is a real worry - just looks like he is in a real funk and just seems miles off the standard.

Gwilt had a good few years and really outdid expectations but I just cant see how he can survive in AFL footy. Hes too small to be KPP and nowhere near agile or quick enough to play as a flanker or midfield running type. I think hes gone.

Positives are Dunstan, Weller and Savage - and J Web is going to be a gun for us.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Does having high expectations mean that we shouldn't accept that teams that were once below us could now be above us?

I remember the reaction last year when we lost to Gold Coast in round one, some supporters were really angry because they felt we were better than the Gold Coast but clearly we weren't.
Good points Cairnsman. It's futile saying we should have won more games than them...Might as well say we should have won 5 flags

What about the players? What are the players expectations this year? Some might be feeling like they'll never be as close as they were in 09/10. It seems such a long time ago.....

The injury toll doesn't bode well for us. Personally I won't be unhappy if we get the wooden spoon and I won't be surprised. I would like stability in the boardroom, stability in the coaching department and for our youngsters and draftees to be given opportunities to become leaders within the footy club and to be constantly improving