Demetriou to quit (Speculation at this stage)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Demetriou to quit (Speculation at this stage)

Well that's what u get for expecting more from king numpt.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ross Oakley was the father of growth... Demetriou did a Chris Scott.... Took over a Goliath and watched it dominate
Ross Oakley tried to merge a number of teams.
Wayne Jackson did but added new teams.
AD added new teams without any threat or danger of losing teams.

I am sure all CEOs were acting on a strategy set by the commission and all did what they needed to do.
Each CEO has left the AFL in a better position than it was when they arrived.

We can argue about little rule changes and fixtures but by and large the game is in a better place than it was 10 years ago.

sippo
Club Player

The game itself is worse i reckon,what with rule changes etc implemented.It is more a game now than a sport, what with all the constant changes. The actual BUSINESS ( which is all it is ) would have followed a natural progression under anyone with half a brain. Rubgy Nrl Soccer have all gone national and all have tv rights which are going to cost a fortune. License to print money in reality

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

This administration has all but guaranteed continued existence for all teams. No previous administration did that. In fact, it was quite the opposite. For years it has been thought there are too many Melbourne clubs. Fitzroy would never have gone out of existence under today's administration.

Our game is too taxing to endure a 34 round season that an 18 team competition playing each other twice would require. So the game will always have a compromised draw.
I'd be surprised if the evening out of the fixture is not on the agenda as part of the equalisation meetings going on.

There are many rule changes I hate. There are many fixture inequities that I hate.
But the expansion of the game into new areas of Australia and overseas is magnificent.
We have not only the best football code in the country but the world and it's about time we started showing it off. This administration is making it happen.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

sippo wrote:The game itself is worse i reckon,what with rule changes etc implemented.It is more a game now than a sport, what with all the constant changes. The actual BUSINESS ( which is all it is ) would have followed a natural progression under anyone with half a brain. Rubgy Nrl Soccer have all gone national and all have tv rights which are going to cost a fortune. License to print money in reality

What rule change has seriously affected your experience of football?

Seriously. This is just one of the many who ring up radio stations wasting listeners time w/ lines like;

- I just can't watch football anymore w/ the rule changes
- the game was so much better 5, 10, 20 years ago

Did they introduce a rule where they banned kicking? Did they stop paying marks? In fact, I almost agree w/ every rule change, especially sliding in and protecting the head.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I truly think a fruit bat could've managed the games growth in Vlads tenure - the product is compelling and has a captive audience

Has he really "extended" the game into non AFL regions? Are the Swans stand alone yet?

Seriously, I don't agree with Grant Thomas much (he's a flog himself) but on this occasion he's right

Bring on the next Numpty!! maybe Netters!!

See this really is a nothing post. 4 lines without any substance.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Good

Although it was Anderson who did a lot of the damage, he was his little sidekick....

He really did have the goose that was laying golden eggs... The game of footy is so big that (like the epl) a moron could be in charge, and it would exponentially grow.... No matter how many issues and scandals .... The patrons still flooded in to see there club play or watched them...

Foxtel also played its part...

Ross Oakley was the father of growth... Demetriou did a Chris Scott.... Took over a Goliath and watched it dominate

He will be mainly seen as the guy who was IC when the integrity of the game was at its lowest.... SC, Draft tampering, Drugs, Betting, Racism, Gambling, Rule Changes out of control, Tribunial farces, unfair biases between clubs, hush hush, heavy handidness....

And more...
A Chris Scott for over 10 years?

His tenure has been a success. And no amount of reckless naming of emotional words like gambling, betting and biases will affect that.

Betting? Gambling? The way the have stung banned ppl by implementing processes and creating relationships w/ the industry?

Biases? For a poster that thinks so highly of himself, uses a lot of general terms and remains vague...

Adelaide Oval
TV rights
2 new and quickly competitive teams
Zero mergers
Zero folds
Coverage of game
AFL media
Media in general
Crowds
Finances

All indicators point to a very successful tenure.

Oh but you praise Ross Oakley... How about putting this on a Footscray forum - in young but still know about 'Up Yours Oakley'.

Over a period this long, people, and especially 'morons' (ironic you also used this description) will always be able to find negatives, sook and whinge without ever understanding the worth of what makes a great CEO. AD was magnificent for the competition, and the good for the game.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Although it was Anderson who did a lot of the damage, he was his little sidekick....

He really did have the goose that was laying golden eggs... The game of footy is so big that (like the epl) a moron could be in charge, and it would exponentially grow.... No matter how many issues and scandals .... The patrons still flooded in to see there club play or watched them...

Ross Oakley was the father of growth... Demetriou did a Chris Scott.... Took over a Goliath and watched it dominate

He will be mainly seen as the guy who was IC when the integrity of the game was at its lowest.... SC, Draft tampering, Drugs, Betting, Racism, Gambling, Rule Changes out of control, Tribunial farces, unfair biases between clubs, hush hush, heavy handidness....

And more...

His tenure has been a success. And no amount of reckless naming of emotional words like gambling, betting and biases will affect that.

Betting? Gambling? The way the have stung banned ppl by implementing processes and creating relationships w/ the industry?

Biases? For a poster that thinks so highly of himself, uses a lot of general terms and remains vague...

Adelaide Oval
TV rights
Zero mergers
Zero folds
Coverage of game
AFL media
Media in general
Crowds
Finances

Oh but you praise Ross Oakley... How about putting this on a Footscray forum - in young but still know about 'Up Yours Oakley'.

Over a period this long, people, and especially 'morons' (ironic you also used this description) will always be able to find negatives, sook and whinge without ever understanding the worth of what makes a great CEO. AD was magnificent for the competition, and the good for the game.

Man, you're very emotional over Demetriou!

The game of aussie rules is far worse than it was when Demetriou took over.

The business of the AFL is far better.

For mine, I support the former, therefore I see his reign as a failure. However having said that, I almost certainly believe that the commission was the one leading the charge toward an entertainment business ahead of a true football competition. So they're to blame really, and in reality Demetriou was probably just doing his job.

Things that I don't like about the game today:

The lack of fierce physical contact
The lack of physical intimidation
The corrupted tribunal process
The fixed 'draw'
The lack of characters in the game
The fact that is a game for athletes as opposed to true footballers
The poor umpiring
The sterile nature of the player's and coach's interaction with the media
The choreographed close finishes
The removal of the suburb vs. suburb tribalism
The favoritism to 'power clubs'

All of the above is a result of either Demetriou and his obsession with the 'image' of the game, the changing of the game from a sport to an entertainment business for financial gain, and/or tweaking of rules to create a more entertaining product to sell to the TV stations.

I hate sitting at the footy. I especially hate sitting in an allocated seat. I'm not at the movies - I'm at the footy! I'm not passively viewing a spectacle. I miss the days of standing room in the outer and relocating to follow certain players or whichever end the Saints were kicking to.

I hate that the AFL has tried to, and achieved 'speeding the game up' by changing the rules. Kick ins, time limits, soft/technical free kicks have all led to the game becoming a running game. Guys like Brent Stanton shouldn't even be on the field. But due to the lack of genuine footballing contest, he's somewhat of a star. Simply because the running game suits him. Dare I say a Tony Lockett or a Greg Williams probably wouldn't even get out of draft camp these days! The game is far worse for it - but the TV rights are far better for it.

The AFL have made it clear that close finishes are a priority when deciding the direction of the game. I think it's a disgrace that umpires suddenly start calling play-on about 3 seconds faster late in the game. From an entertainment perspective, it's great. But if you're a true follower of a club and of football in its purest form - it's a disgrace that the result is manipulated to make weekenders happy.

I love the UFC, absolutely love it. One is because I'm passionate about MMA, but the other is that I love the show. I love how leading into a fight, the fighters will taunt and belittle each other. I love the theatre of it and it adds about 50% more interest to the contest knowing that there is seriously bad blood between them.
I hate in the AFL that everyone is too scared to say anything about an opponent! This obsession with the image of the game is a farce and has been detrimental. It's removed a huge chunk of the passion of the game, and has sterilized it.

I get so sick of the "yeah nah, they're a great side, the boys did well, happy with the win blah blah blah" bulls*** that is served up at every interview.

However, I'd bet that Demetriou would hear it, and sit back and think 'good boy, well said, You've upheld the image of the game there!'/ It's a real shame and makes the whole thing dull and boring.

Plugger wouldn't have played more than 100 games with Demetriou's interference with the tribunal. Either would Barry Hall had he not been in Sydney for most of his.

Watching footy at Docklands is like going to a small movie theatre. It's emotionless and contrived. The only way you know it's your home game, is that the balloons hanging in the 'social club' (or the sterile glassed off room they masquerade as a social club) are your team's colours!

And not only that, any club that plays there gets rooted in the tailpipe financially! So the TV stations are happy they get a stadium that is pretty for TV, the weekenders and the nana's are happy that they get a clean seat to sit on - but the diehard fans lose the tribalism and passion that carried the game for 100 years.

I hate how Sydney gets favoured with their salary cap.

I hate how we have two new teams that in the process, has deadset crippled several club by the AFL comprising the draft for it. Yet some people think it's great that these clubs are competitive!!

So clearly, in my opinion, some people support the 'game'. They want the AFL business to prosper and just want to be entertained each weekend. These people will think Demetriou has done well.

For me, I couldn't give a f*** whether the AFL is the biggest sport in the country or if the AFL makes lots of dough and signs big TV deals. I want a comp where I can barrack for the Saints to compete on an even field, and go into battle with them each week at a home ground and away at some one else's home ground.

I don't care if the best athletes end up playing soccer or basketball or whatever other sport we're conned into believing they will all go off and play if they can't get $1m per year playing AFL. I don't care if some guys bleeds on TV which causes mums out there to not let their son play footy.

Therfore, I thin Demetriou has done a s*** job and I'm pissed off about the direction that game has been taken.

All of this has been under Demetriou's watch and either his or the commission's direction.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Question:

How can Demetriou justify COLA, if there are now two teams in Sydney and COLA has been removed?

Surely, now that there are two teams up there it is even more important!

Then explain why GWS still get it? If it's an allowance for living in Sydney, then surely they both get it?? If it's an incentive to lure star players, then how on earth can it be justified that Sydney have had it for nearly 2 decades???!

Sydney and Brisbane's flags are tainted in my view. And Demetriou is to blame.

You can't have a draft and salary cap that are the essence of the competition - then ignore them to suit your bottom line.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

All great points in your big post Johnny. You forgot to mention the abysmal presentation of the game by the s*** commentators.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Spinner wrote:

And more...

Adelaide Oval
TV rights
Zero mergers
Zero folds
Coverage of game
AFL media
Media in general
Crowds
Finances

Man, you're very emotional over Demetriou!

The game of aussie rules is far worse than it was when Demetriou took over.

The business of the AFL is far better.

For mine, I support the former, therefore I see his reign as a failure. However having said that, I almost certainly believe that the commission was the one leading the charge toward an entertainment business ahead of a true football competition. So they're to blame really, and in reality Demetriou was probably just doing his job.

Things that I don't like about the game today:

The lack of fierce physical contact
The lack of physical intimidation
The corrupted tribunal process
The fixed 'draw'
The lack of characters in the game
The fact that is a game for athletes as opposed to true footballers
The poor umpiring
The sterile nature of the player's and coach's interaction with the media
The choreographed close finishes
The removal of the suburb vs. suburb tribalism
The favoritism to 'power clubs'

All of the above is a result of either Demetriou and his obsession with the 'image' of the game, the changing of the game from a sport to an entertainment business for financial gain, and/or tweaking of rules to create a more entertaining product to sell to the TV stations.

I hate sitting at the footy. I especially hate sitting in an allocated seat. I'm not at the movies - I'm at the footy! I'm not passively viewing a spectacle. I miss the days of standing room in the outer and relocating to follow certain players or whichever end the Saints were kicking to.

I hate that the AFL has tried to, and achieved 'speeding the game up' by changing the rules. Kick ins, time limits, soft/technical free kicks have all led to the game becoming a running game. Guys like Brent Stanton shouldn't even be on the field. But due to the lack of genuine footballing contest, he's somewhat of a star. Simply because the running game suits him. Dare I say a Tony Lockett or a Greg Williams probably wouldn't even get out of draft camp these days! The game is far worse for it - but the TV rights are far better for it.

The AFL have made it clear that close finishes are a priority when deciding the direction of the game. I think it's a disgrace that umpires suddenly start calling play-on about 3 seconds faster late in the game. From an entertainment perspective, it's great. But if you're a true follower of a club and of football in its purest form - it's a disgrace that the result is manipulated to make weekenders happy.

I love the UFC, absolutely love it. One is because I'm passionate about MMA, but the other is that I love the show. I love how leading into a fight, the fighters will taunt and belittle each other. I love the theatre of it and it adds about 50% more interest to the contest knowing that there is seriously bad blood between them.
I hate in the AFL that everyone is too scared to say anything about an opponent! This obsession with the image of the game is a farce and has been detrimental. It's removed a huge chunk of the passion of the game, and has sterilized it.

I get so sick of the "yeah nah, they're a great side, the boys did well, happy with the win blah blah blah" bulls*** that is served up at every interview.

However, I'd bet that Demetriou would hear it, and sit back and think 'good boy, well said, You've upheld the image of the game there!'/ It's a real shame and makes the whole thing dull and boring.

Plugger wouldn't have played more than 100 games with Demetriou's interference with the tribunal. Either would Barry Hall had he not been in Sydney for most of his.

Watching footy at Docklands is like going to a small movie theatre. It's emotionless and contrived. The only way you know it's your home game, is that the balloons hanging in the 'social club' (or the sterile glassed off room they masquerade as a social club) are your team's colours!

And not only that, any club that plays there gets rooted in the tailpipe financially! So the TV stations are happy they get a stadium that is pretty for TV, the weekenders and the nana's are happy that they get a clean seat to sit on - but the diehard fans lose the tribalism and passion that carried the game for 100 years.

I hate how Sydney gets favoured with their salary cap.

I hate how we have two new teams that in the process, has deadset crippled several club by the AFL comprising the draft for it. Yet some people think it's great that these clubs are competitive!!

So clearly, in my opinion, some people support the 'game'. They want the AFL business to prosper and just want to be entertained each weekend. These people will think Demetriou has done well.

For me, I couldn't give a f*** whether the AFL is the biggest sport in the country or if the AFL makes lots of dough and signs big TV deals. I want a comp where I can barrack for the Saints to compete on an even field, and go into battle with them each week at a home ground and away at some one else's home ground.

I don't care if the best athletes end up playing soccer or basketball or whatever other sport we're conned into believing they will all go off and play if they can't get $1m per year playing AFL. I don't care if some guys bleeds on TV which causes mums out there to not let their son play footy.

Therfore, I thin Demetriou has done a s*** job and I'm pissed off about the direction that game has been taken.

All of this has been under Demetriou's watch and either his or the commission's direction.

Oh god, you call me emotional and proceed to post that dribble. Incredible.

You're one of those, 'hate current football' types that want things that just dont exist anymore. The types that are stuck in the past, and won't move forward with the times. You even mention suburban football. Hilarious.

Here is my response to you. Do me a favour and actually stop watching. And with that stop complaining to each and every one of us. Don't write on a forum about you hate going to the football. Just don't go - and don't sook. Actually do it.

Because currently you types are a waste of air time, a waste or forum space and a drag on innovation and progression.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

There is middle ground Spinner.

I still follow the Saints, and therefore still follow footy.

I haven't been to a game in nearly 6 years, except for when I took a visiting cousin along. And I rarely watch non-Saints games and aren't even a guarantee to watch Saints games all the way through.

If not for the Saints, I'd dare say I wouldn't have any interest at all in the AFL. Mainly because there are many other sports that I'm not passionate about that are equal to or in most cases, far more 'entertaining' than modern AFL footy.

Moving with the times is fine, but should never be done to the detriment of the fabric or soul of something. The elements that have been sacrificed by Demetriou, in my opinion are elements that are (or were) the heart and soul of the sport.

If my posts cause you so much distress, then you don't need to read them.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:There is middle ground Spinner.

I haven't been to a game in nearly 6 years, except for when I took a visiting cousin along. And I rarely watch non-Saints games and aren't even a guarantee to watch Saints games all the way through.

If not for the Saints, I'd dare say I wouldn't have any interest at all in the AFL. Mainly because there are many other sports that I'm not passionate about that are equal to or in most cases, far more 'entertaining' than modern AFL footy.

Moving with the times is fine, but should never be done to the detriment of the fabric or soul of something. The elements that have been sacrificed by Demetriou, in my opinion are elements that are (or were) the heart and soul of the sport.

Your post didn't cause me any distress at all. Just calling it out as a waste of space.

You want all these feel good things, but they are ignorant wants with no absolutely consideration of other factors other than the fact you want to; stand at the football, grounds in the suburbs and bloodshed.

I love a good melee - It fires me up, but there is a price to it. And a price to all your other factors which are just ignorant wants.

If the game was the way you wanted it. Stuck in the old days, no growth. There would probably be no St Kilda - And hence absolutely no reason for you to follow football at all.

Maybe that's in fact what you want. Enjoy the UFC.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

There is middle ground.

You can 'progress' and improve, without sacrificing the soul of a sport.

It's a myth perpetrated by those with self-interest that those who don't 'move with the times' are old fashioned and ignorant. You've clearly bought this hook, line and sinker.

The biggest problem with the game today, is that it isn't fair. Certain clubs are favoured with the 'draw' and with other gifts form the AFL. Even now with the equalisation model they're working on, it's being discussed as taking money from the rich, successful clubs to give to the poor ones. How about instead of doing that, the AFL look at why the rich, successful clubs are rich and successful in the first place! It's because they get a draw and media exposure like other clubs could only dream of.

The pursuit of TV money has compromised the sport. It's unfair. Certain clubs gets gifted an advantage before the ball is even bounced.

Sydney get $1m extra in their salary cap!! They've been up there for 20 years FFS! If they're not viable yet, they never will be! Is it worth rigging the comp to support them, just so there is extra money coming in through the TV rights?

Once this happens, the sport is shot. If this is 'moving with the times', then count me out. If you can justify it, then good luck to you.

Many people understand that football is an industry - not a competition anymore. It's an entertainment industry, where those involved try to prosper financially as best they can, whilst they can.

I still find it strange that players, coaches and administrators jump from club to club each year like they're changing their undies, yet fans still remain deluded that they support a proud club. There is no club. There is a business. A business that is vying for a piece of the market in order to keep those at the club employed.

I mean, how was Eddie Maguire's rant about not capping football department spending because it will mean that great football people will be out of a job???!!!

I suppose at least he's coming out and finally saying it publicly - that the reason these blokes want members to throw in their money is to keep them and their buddies employed in the industry!

Now that's fine. Some would call that progress, and to a degree I would agree. But there can be no mistake that if players, coaches and administrators jump clubs each year and are all part of the 'industry', that passion for a 'club' is a thing of the past.

Now again, that's fine. It is an entertainment business after all. But if the AFL think that people are going to pour their hard earned into something that they know is just a business keeping some dudes employed - then they'd better work on a Plan B because once the old diehards of the bygone era are dead, it's going to be a difficult con to sell to the public.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

6 years?

No wonder your meh about it...

Shame you missed 09

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
BigMart wrote:Ross Oakley was the father of growth... Demetriou did a Chris Scott.... Took over a Goliath and watched it dominate
Ross Oakley tried to merge a number of teams.
Wayne Jackson did but added new teams.
AD added new teams without any threat or danger of losing teams.

AD added new teams, and in doing so has disadvantaged some clubs so severely, that it will be years before they are back on track. In some cases, it could be almost terminal the damage that this has caused these clubs.

Melbourne for example, need high draft picks. AD took away these picks when they needed them most and has gift wraped them to these new teams. Not only that, he's allowed them to poach recent high draft picks off them also! All this whilst Melbourne is incredibly vulnerable financially and also on-field.

People then frown at Melbourne for being such a f*** up, but you have to ask whether they'd be in such a bad position had they been able to draft some of the freaks that Gold Coast and GWS have picked up, and had they not lost that young left-footer they picked up at no. 1.

People scowl at them because the AFL has to step in and help them out - well of course they should! They help Sydney, they help Brisbane, they help GWS, they help Gold Coast, they help Essendon and Collingwood - so why shouldn't they help Melbourne???!

So in summary, AD has severely put teams at threat with the introduction of new teams.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:6 years?

Shame you missed 09

Watching us play a 'home' final at Melbourne's home ground in 06, combined with watching Goldspink single handedly ruin that game with chronic over-officiating, was the nail in the coffin for mine.

Call it moving with the times or whatever you like, it was living proof that the game was merely there to entertain people and the integrity of the sport was lost in the process.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:6 years?

Shame you missed 09

Watching us play a 'home' final at Melbourne's home ground in 06, combined with watching Goldspink single handedly ruin that game with chronic over-officiating, was the nail in the coffin for mine.

Call it moving with the times or whatever you like, it was living proof that the game was merely there to entertain people and the integrity of the sport was lost in the process.
Sport IS there to entertain people.

Surely you don't watch UFC to witness and appreciate integrity?

You watch it because it entertains you...

Don't you?

Confused.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Good point.....

I watch the UFC purely for the entertainment. The contest is pure, the skill on display is elite, and the theatre that goes with it is top level.

Would I ever buy a membership (or similar) for it? No. Would I ever become emotionally involved beyond the 'I hope this guys beats the other guy' which would lead to me handing money over? No.

The footy is different. I loved playing it, and it was in my DNA to barrack for the Saints. I was entertained by the game as it was, but more to the point I was emotionally and passionately involved in the Saints. I loved the Saints and was prepared to hand over money to help them in any way I could!

But that element has been removed. The AFL had removed the emotional attachment, by way of distancing fans from their clubs. Removing home grounds, allocating seating like it's some kind of privilege to be able to watch a game, clubs changing their jumpers, clubs moving grounds, coaches and playing on the merry-go-round from the club to club, the AFL ying to the public and treating them like fools, etc. etc. have all distanced fans from their clubs.

So it's now merely a form of entertainment for me. With a hint of passion toward the Saints still. As I said, it's in my DNA.

So when it comes down to wanting entertainment, I have choices. And modern AFL footy is now on par with the A-League for me. UFC is far more entertaining, I even find the NRL to be more entertaining to watch. I'd probably even watch a T20 game ahead of the footy these days!

AFL footy has never really been an 'attractive' game to watch. Remove the emotion and passion from it, and there's nothing left that appeals to me.

This is what the AFL need to be realy careful of. Because as generations like mine drop off (ie. die) then there's a very real probability that the next generation won't have the passion instilled in them that we had, and will find other sports more entertaining.

I'd love someone to run a survey to see how many fans have swapped teams over the past 5-10 years, compared to previous times. I'd bet that it is higher, and I'd bet that it continues to rise. And once people aren't emotionally connected to a club, there's not going to be much to keep fans putting their money in.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Melbourne for example, need high draft picks. AD took away these picks when they needed them most and has gift wraped them to these new teams. Not only that, he's allowed them to poach recent high draft picks off them also! All this whilst Melbourne is incredibly vulnerable financially and also on-field.

People then frown at Melbourne for being such a f*** up, but you have to ask whether they'd be in such a bad position had they been able to draft some of the freaks that Gold Coast and GWS have picked up, and had they not lost that young left-footer they picked up at no. 1.

People scowl at them because the AFL has to step in and help them out - well of course they should! They help Sydney, they help Brisbane, they help GWS, they help Gold Coast, they help Essendon and Collingwood - so why shouldn't they help Melbourne???!

So in summary, AD has severely put teams at threat with the introduction of new teams.
If Melbourne is the sole basis of your argument then you have none.
Melbourne had early picks.
In 2012 they accessed Jesse Hogan (who most likely would have gone number 1 this year) in the 17yo draft. They also drafted Jimmy Toumpas with pick 2 and Jack Viney under the F/S with pick 26.
In 2011 they traded away their early picks for established players. This netted them Mitch Clarke.
In 2009 they had picks 1, 2, 11 and 18 after taking to get them...This netted them Trengove and Scully.
In 2008 they pick 1 and pick 17 (priority). They took Watts and Blease.

I don't think early draft picks is Melbourne's answer.
They should be helping Melbourne administratively which they are doing.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne are an example.

If I'm not mistaken, GWS had nine of the first fifteen picks including: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15 in the 2011 draft. They had 1, 2, 3, 12 and 13 in 2012. This doesn't include the concessions that Gold Coast received.

Now, Carlton missed one draft and it is widely accepted that this set them back nearly 10 years! But we're saying that it's not that big a deal for the bottom clubs over the past 4 years to miss out on the picks that were handed over to the GWS and Gold Coast?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Melbourne are an example.

If I'm not mistaken, GWS had nine of the first fifteen picks including: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15 in the 2011 draft. They had 1, 2, 3, 12 and 13 in 2012. This doesn't include the concessions that Gold Coast received.

Now, Carlton missed one draft and it is widely accepted that this set them back nearly 10 years! But we're saying that it's not that big a deal for the bottom clubs over the past 4 years to miss out on the picks that were handed over to the GWS and Gold Coast?
Melbourne are a poor example.
GWS and GC started with nothing! They needed players. Those picks were able to be traded. GC traded a number of them but GWS hung on to them.

So what should Melbourne have received? Aside from GC and GWS, they've probably had the most early picks over the last five years. Their drafting has let them down.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

My 'argument' is that introducing two new teams has had huge impacts on several clubs, contrary to your earlier post.

I used Melbourne as an example of a club that was hit by it.

They're not the only one.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

How do you watch the title fights if you don't pay?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:There is middle ground Spinner.

Unless you live miles away or are incapacitated not going to a game for 6 years means you are not really a saints supporter at all. What you are is a person who loves complaining. I love the comment on no physical clashes these days. Well that does prove you dont go to games. They hit harder than ever because of the pace they run at. yep hitting a guy in the head whilst over the ball has been stopped as well as the Kosi shirt front. And thank god for both of those things. Nothing tough with either just as it was tough to do what balmey did or Big carl. Now they put there eyes over the ball and at least know if they hiy it will usually be reasonable fair.

As you dont go to the footy these days luckily every game is live on TV as opposed to those good old days of watching 2 games 3 hours after they finished. But if you did go at least you could stand in the rain at Victoria Park and maybe get in a punch on. Yep the good old days. Watch the umpiring in the good old days and then try and work out what the free was for. yep the good old days. Skills were great back then as well. I love it when poeple think the past was better. Those same people will probably say in 20 years times, back in 2014 footy was so much better than it is now.