Matt Finnis for CEO?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

busso mick
Club Player

Re: Matt Finnis for CEO?

BringBackMadDog wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
SainterK wrote:Best thing about this appointment is that nettles departs.

The westaway/nettlefold tenure had its time.

May Matt be the guy that finally guides the club to the "Finnis" line :p

Good point SK.

And if we don't capitallise on our chances the next couple of years to re build the list, we may be finnis....ed.
I just hope Matt Finnis doesn't take the gloss off the club!!......sorry thats a terrible pun
It is terrible, but that is why I like it. :D Matt Finish were a good band too, back in the 80's.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote: Matt Finish were a good band too, back in the 80's.
But a listing of all their hits would only require the writing of a very short note :P

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Best thing about this appointment is that nettles departs.

The westaway/nettlefold tenure had its time.

May Matt be the guy that finally guides the club to the "Finnis" line :p
Nettlefold left the building some time ago didn't he. Terry Dillon has been interim CEO.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:He has experience in the football industry by virtue of his role of CEO of the AFLPA for the past 5 years, and prior to that worked as a lawyer for 2 very highly regarded Melbourne Law firms.
I wouldn't be talking him up on that basis. I've worked with a lot of lawyers and very few of then have more than the barest skerrick of commercial nous. Let's hope Finnis is different.

sainter27
Club Player

Short note is a great song, sadly slightly forgotten

philtee
Club Player

Mancini Shuffle also huge -

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:Matt Finnis, well we are desperate so anyone who will accept the position will do it seems.
Why is it that you people think Matt Finnis isn't a suitable candidate for the CEO role?

He has experience in the football industry by virtue of his role of CEO of the AFLPA for the past 5 years, and prior to that worked as a lawyer for 2 very highly regarded Melbourne Law firms. I do not know Matt Finnis personally, but having worked in the legal industry myself for the last 18 years, and with close ties to the two firms he worked for, I can say that he is extremely well regarded, and I am totally comfortable with him being appointed to the role of St Kilda CEO.

Give him the opportunity to prove himself before you go bagging him.
That is all very well, but little of that translates into what he will actually be doing as CEO of an AFL club.

It is not a matter of bagging him, as rather that we simply have gone for a L-Plater as a CEO at a time in our existence where we simply cannot afford any more mistakes. We are in a parlous state. So we are taking a BIG risk, at a time that we can ill afford to.

If Finnis does not shape up...............we could well be stuffed.

He may be wonderful, or he may be hopeless. Point is that we have once again just gone fora roll of the dice.

Ever since Westaway and his Footy First Crew came on board the club has gone backwards OFF-FIELD big-time. Too many that talk the talk, rather than walk the walk.

PS And what has a background as a lawyer got to do with being a good CEO? As a profession they exhibit many hallmarks that make for bad CEOs.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BringBackMadDog wrote:I just hope Matt Finnis doesn't take the gloss off the club!!......sorry thats a terrible pun
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not terrible BBMD..., bloody funny IMHO!

GO needs your help over in his ongoing daily thread. :idea:
(I mean, you know he's struggling when a man of GO's political mindset has to resort to ripping-off Winston Churchill. :lol: :P )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:Matt Finnis, well we are desperate so anyone who will accept the position will do it seems.
Why is it that you people think Matt Finnis isn't a suitable candidate for the CEO role?

He has experience in the football industry by virtue of his role of CEO of the AFLPA for the past 5 years, and prior to that worked as a lawyer for 2 very highly regarded Melbourne Law firms. I do not know Matt Finnis personally, but having worked in the legal industry myself for the last 18 years, and with close ties to the two firms he worked for, I can say that he is extremely well regarded, and I am totally comfortable with him being appointed to the role of St Kilda CEO.

That is all very well, but little of that translates into what he will actually be doing as CEO of an AFL club.

It is not a matter of bagging him, as rather that we simply have gone for a L-Plater as a CEO at a time in our existence where we simply cannot afford any more mistakes. We are in a parlous state. So we are taking a BIG risk, at a time that we can ill afford to.

He may be wonderful, or he may be hopeless. Point is that we have once again just gone fora roll of the dice.

Ever since Westaway and his Footy First Crew came on board the club has gone backwards OFF-FIELD big-time. Too many that talk the talk, rather than walk the walk.

PS And what has a background as a lawyer got to do with being a good CEO? As a profession they exhibit many hallmarks that make for bad CEOs.
Have to agree with that last sentiment, SR. In any event, it appears as though, once again, we are being forced to gamble with a major appointment. I doubt we had a lot of choice in the end. My hope is that Matt is a star on the rise and that his time with the saints sets him up for future advancement. If he can resurrect the saints (awful pun), he would probably be able to write his own ticket in his next job. I'm hoping he does an "Allan Jeans". That is, come in as untried and turn himself into a legend of the club. I've got everything crossed.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
defacto
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:

so who would you have appointed instead?

L plater as a CEO he's been a CEO for the last 5 years. when does he go from an L plate to a P plate. is 10 years enough? is it 20?

any evidence to suggest lawyers dont make good CEOs? Do you have any examples?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'm biased as I'm married to a lawyer but most commercial lawyers have very sound business grounding and know the inner workings of commercial operations as well as anyone. Plenty of CEOs come from the "shop floor" and do a good job despite not having a business background. The role is more to do with the energy and ambition shown by the candidate than what background they have. Finnis is an impressive guy and I'm very happy. I think he has the ambition and drive to be very successful.

I have know plenty of business people who have a great education in business but no commercial instincts.