This Years Draft.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Re: This Years Draft.

remboy wrote:
matrix wrote:march the 10th and we've got threads on the draft already

i havent even looked at the fixture yet!
Just saving time Matrix. We've looked at the draw, decided we won't win a game, so moved onto the draft, where we'll have the first pick - maybe even the first three (not sure how that works but this is fantasy land so what the hell).
Actually Matrix, I started the thread solely for the reason to see if there are any obvious guns out there ( Boyd was pretty well the standout all last season)

I certainly don't think we' ll go winless this season, but realistically, it looks like we'll finish in the bottom section of the ladder, and therefore have another early pick.

Hope I'm wrong, and Richo has everyone playing out of their skin all season, and we play finals, but highly unlikely.

Would love a reason to have to come down to Melbourne in September again. :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

FAAAARK
ANother two years of first round 'compensation' picks for the two expansion clubs.
Does it ever end. They will be unbeatable for years.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-11/e ... r-gws-suns

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

19: Essendon (end-of-first round selection given to the club as part of supplements scandal penalties)

I love this, end of first round compensation selection as part of the penalties... Money aside, I can't believe Adelaide copped harsher penalties than this mob. How do you exclude a team from first two rounds for two years then give them a compensation selection... Effing bs

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

St Ick wrote:19: Essendon (end-of-first round selection given to the club as part of supplements scandal penalties)

I love this, end of first round compensation selection as part of the penalties... Money aside, I can't believe Adelaide copped harsher penalties than this mob. How do you exclude a team from first two rounds for two years then give them a compensation selection... Effing bs
Looked a bit odd to me too so I read the article. What is says is that Essendon's first pick in this years draft will be at the end of the first round regardless of where they finish. They are not getting an extra pick. Have a look at the hypothetical draft order.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Fidelis
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:our number 1 pick will come in handy.
If this comes true, the number 1 pick in the pre-season draft might land a young gun keen to return home... No need for a free agent

Faithful Even Unto Death
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

remboy wrote:
St Ick wrote:19: Essendon (end-of-first round selection given to the club as part of supplements scandal penalties)

Looked a bit odd to me too so I read the article. What is says is that Essendon's first pick in this years draft will be at the end of the first round regardless of where they finish. They are not getting an extra pick. Have a look at the hypothetical draft order.
My point was how does it get reported that a club is excluded for first two rounds for two years, yet get awarded a end of first round compo pick, I understand its not an extra pick, but I can't see a reason why they need to get a selection in the first two rounds at all. Oh well.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Fidelis wrote:
The Fireman wrote:our number 1 pick will come in handy.
If this comes true, the number 1 pick in the pre-season draft might land a young gun keen to return home... No need for a free agent
If we look like finishing bottom half through the season you would hope we are well into a big name GWS or Sun player looking to come home

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

If Essendon get done by ASADA, we may see more draft penalties from the AFL. So far the penalties have been about governance, and you'd think the door is open for the AFL to sting them on drug use.

citywest

plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:Only your opinion is correct hey White Winmar!!!??? Even though you don't deserve an explanation because you are a sook, I'll give you one anyway.

Armitage will be 26 in June. With our rebuild in full swing now, the absolute earliest the Saints can hope to play in a Grand Final again would be 2020. Realistically, I would have my money on 2022 at the very earliest. That would make Armitage 32 (best case scenario), or more likely 34+. If we do not trade Armo at the end of this season then he will not be worth trading.

Basically what I'm saying is, anyone that is older than 25 should be looked at as a possible trade (for this year and next), if it will land us picks near the top 20 or better. The 2 players that best suit this strategy are Armo and Gilbert. I'm not saying they are not good players. All I'm saying is that they are not in the right age demographic for us and we may be able to get better value for them by trading them to clubs that have a specific need. Just like Hawthorn did with Big Boy McEvoy.

You really are funny. thats all I can come up for your posts. Trading 26 year olds because they will to old when we may make the next GF. May as well have traded every player since 1966. Gold.
You really are making yourself look silly Plugger.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:Only your opinion is correct hey White Winmar!!!??? Even though you don't deserve an explanation because you are a sook, I'll give you one anyway.

Armitage will be 26 in June. With our rebuild in full swing now, the absolute earliest the Saints can hope to play in a Grand Final again would be 2020. Realistically, I would have my money on 2022 at the very earliest. That would make Armitage 32 (best case scenario), or more likely 34+. If we do not trade Armo at the end of this season then he will not be worth trading.

Basically what I'm saying is, anyone that is older than 25 should be looked at as a possible trade (for this year and next), if it will land us picks near the top 20 or better. The 2 players that best suit this strategy are Armo and Gilbert. I'm not saying they are not good players. All I'm saying is that they are not in the right age demographic for us and we may be able to get better value for them by trading them to clubs that have a specific need. Just like Hawthorn did with Big Boy McEvoy.

You really are funny. thats all I can come up for your posts. Trading 26 year olds because they will to old when we may make the next GF. May as well have traded every player since 1966. Gold.

Thats funny. Do you think we should try and get some free agents this year?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Thats funny. Do you think we should try and get some free agents this year?
Apparently as long as they aren't over 25 it should be OK.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
MrCordz
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I think we should be making a Roo replacement our No.1 Priority. then some mids and maybe a classy big defender. Our big forwards that we have dont appear to be up to scratch. Definitely not in the Roo category.
This

Humbly St. Kilda
gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
remboy wrote:

My point was how does it get reported that a club is excluded for first two rounds for two years, yet get awarded a end of first round compo pick, I understand its not an extra pick, but I can't see a reason why they need to get a selection in the first two rounds at all. Oh well.
Apparently they needed AFL assistance to help pay their fine too. James Hird gets a million dollars paid by the AFL. Something looks rotten. If it was politics or business they would be looking at a corruption investigation.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
citywest wrote:We need to pick midfielders with our first 2 picks. We have enough ruckman and forwards. We also need to trade Gilbert and our 3rd pick for a pick around 20 and draft a 3rd midfielder. And personally, I would trade our 4th pick and Armatage for a pick under 20 and grab another top end midfielder as well. However I know a lot on here will not like this suggestion.
So you want to draft 2 midfielders but give away Armitage, who is now starting to show real value both in leadership and ability, yep that makes sense.
And where do we have enough forwards? We have Roo and........

armo will be our next captain....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
spot on
Club Player

The game seems to be about quality mids right now. Is hope we can get
a few, the bigger the better. With free agency coming in I think
We could buy our quality key positions when
The time is right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spot on wrote:The game seems to be about quality mids right now. Is hope we can get
a few, the bigger the better. With free agency coming in I think
We could buy our quality key positions when
The time is right.

I think FA can really work for us as long as we keep our nerve and dont go to early. We are 2 years away from even bothering IMO then attack.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
citywest wrote:We need to pick midfielders with our first 2 picks. We have enough ruckman and forwards. We also need to trade Gilbert and our 3rd pick for a pick around 20 and draft a 3rd midfielder. And personally, I would trade our 4th pick and Armatage for a pick under 20 and grab another top end midfielder as well. However I know a lot on here will not like this suggestion.
So you want to draft 2 midfielders but give away Armitage, who is now starting to show real value both in leadership and ability, yep that makes sense.
And where do we have enough forwards? We have Roo and........

armo will be our next captain....

Not in a million years. What are you smoking these days?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I would say Armo is a good shot for next captain.
I reckon he'd be a 3-1 chance.

If someone offered us a top 15 pick for him we'd take it though.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Everyone's on the gear!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
citywest

Bernard Shakey wrote:Everyone's on the gear!
Stupid comment Bernard Shakey. Ask yourself 2 questions. When will St Kilda next play in a Grand Final? How old will Armitage be when we do play in that Grand Final?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Everyone's on the gear!
Stupid comment Bernard Shakey. Ask yourself 2 questions. When will St Kilda next play in a Grand Final? How old will Armitage be when we do play in that Grand Final?

Citywest can I say you just havent understood anything BS is saying. You just dont get him at all. Pity.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He plays tough footy when required...just emulates his hero Sam with his cut off jeans and metro singlets too much ;)

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Fyfe for 1.1 mill are we in the race?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Fyfe for 1.1 mill are we in the race?

What do we offer? And I think he loves his home state.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Fyfe for 1.1 mill are we in the race?

What do we offer? And I think he loves his home state.
Apparently Dockers are 200 k short of where they need to be. Apparently a club has saud theyll offer 1.1 mill which is 500j more than the Dockers.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL