Good vibes about our coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good vibes about our coach

Yes I remember Watters being highly regarded too, but I will need to see how we go this season and then make a decision about Richo then- you either got it or you aint as a coach. It's just as much about the quality of the playing group, and backup support form the president, board and CEO- and the club in general. You don't want to be like Joyce at Qantas, where you are hated by your workforce, or Abbott as PM where quite a few of his MPs would happily knife him in the back at the moment.

Watts the Buzz
Club Player

I work with a bloke that played for the Richmond Reserves many years ago and he had Richo as his coach for at least one of those years. He said to me that he's the best coach he ever had. Works really well with the young guys and a fantastic motivator.

70s sainter
Club Player

Zed wrote:Our ladder position is going to be rubbish for the next 3 years minimum. Everyone within the club and outside the club needs to understand that and give AR time to develop the kids. IF we sack him before the end of his 4th year I will be bitterly disappointed because we already know where we are going to be in 3 years time - which is in the bottom 4. No coach in the league could turn this around any quicker.
I guess it's a bit like the bulldogs. They were getting beaten week in week out but people could see they were playing a good brand of footy and if they kept going they would get results. If we stick with that philosophy and be patient as well getting some decent talent in via the draft and later on free agency we should be right.
Anyway we actually don't want to improve too fast. Look at gws . They have a crazy amount of talent on their list so they're the last ones that deserve early draft picks, and because they're all young and still finishing at the bottom they top up their list even more . As that list gets older they will be unbeatable . We can do a mini version of this strategy ( obviously not on a silver platter like them) but compared to a team like Carlton should eventually be better off.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

BigMart wrote:Judgement at the end of 2014
Nah.... end of 2015.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Watts the Buzz wrote:I work with a bloke that played for the Richmond Reserves many years ago and he had Richo as his coach for at least one of those years. He said to me that he's the best coach he ever had. Works really well with the young guys and a fantastic motivator.
There's a massive difference between the assistant's position and that of the head coach. We saw that with SW, who was highly regarded as an assistant, coached premierships in the WAFL, then proved to be a disaster as the main man. Having said all that, I'm confident AR is the man. I too, have heard many good things about him from people he's worked with and for. For goodness sake, I just hope they stick with him and give him at least 4 years.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:You don't want to be like Joyce at Qantas, where you are hated by your workforce, or Abbott as PM where quite a few of his MPs would happily knife him in the back at the moment.
On the other hand, I've had a couple of bosses who were loved by the workforce because they were such good guys - but they ran the company/team into the ground by being not that good at everything else. So you really need the full package.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
spert wrote:You don't want to be like Joyce at Qantas, where you are hated by your workforce, or Abbott as PM where quite a few of his MPs would happily knife him in the back at the moment.
On the other hand, I've had a couple of bosses who were loved by the workforce because they were such good guys - but they ran the company/team into the ground by being not that good at everything else. So you really need the full package.
Agreed, Bergholt, being a good bloke is just one part of the package. It's why so many sociopaths and narcissists succeed in senior management positions, despite their lack of interpersonal skills. Not saying that being a sociopath is the key to success, it's just that you need the capacity to make hard calls, and often.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

We hear this all the time with new coaches..

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93