Ross Lyon's love affair with recycled players?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon's love affair with recycled players?

BigMart wrote:Hi spinner

Yes... Such a gun spinner, Essendon were willing to (trying to) offload him spinner

You keep telling yourself it was a good decision, like the Ball for zero?

I'll keep arguing the other way? I guess history will judge?

Actually I think it has?

Lovett is still probably bashing women, drinking daily and being a knob, Ball is winning hard ball!

Btw
21ppg is an interesting number
That's what BC averaged in his 35 or so games at Ricmond.... With his immaculate decision making and disposal? It's funny how the recruiting philosophy and process (due diligence yeah) changed in 12 months
I think we backed the wrong horse

That's the thing that worries me about your ability to handle life.

No ones arguing history and the outcome.

But I'm not going to sit here and try and bend the fact that he wasn't a good player because it didn't work out.

It was a risk. A decision.

You're the only one arguing with hindsight on your side trying to bend facts to suit your predictions.

You seem to know what AL is doing these days. What's Ben Cousins up to? Do you think his lawyer listed all his past AA, B&Fs and Brownlow at this latest hearing like you do to portray such a wonderful success he was at Richmond?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Hi spinner

Yes... Such a gun spinner, Essendon were willing to (trying to) offload him spinner

You keep telling yourself it was a good decision, like the Ball for zero?

I'll keep arguing the other way? I guess history will judge?

Actually I think it has?

Lovett is still probably bashing women, drinking daily and being a knob, Ball is winning hard ball!

Btw
21ppg is an interesting number
That's what BC averaged in his 35 or so games at Ricmond.... With his immaculate decision making and disposal? It's funny how the recruiting philosophy and process (due diligence yeah) changed in 12 months
I think we backed the wrong horse

Hilarious.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Spinner wrote:How come its only St Kilda supporters that think he is doing a bad job at Fremantle? And the rest of the football world praise the transformation he has had on that team?

Bitter? Jaded? Ignorant?
Yeah, there's a lot of bitterness I think from a lot of Saints supporters.

Trading for recycled players is a proven tactic (where applicable) for Teams on the cusp of contending.

For those wanting to criticise Lyon for bringing in recycleds, what do you think of Sydney? Carltoon too. Hawthorn. Collingwood.

Hawthorn's recycled players were arguably the key to getting them over the line last year: Lake won the norm smith, Gibson had another great finals series, Hale was massive.

If you want to criticise over RL about using recycleds then that's fine, as long as you apply it to Longmire, Malthouse, Clarkson, Roos, Thompson and many more.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
Spinner wrote:How come its only St Kilda supporters that think he is doing a bad job at Fremantle? And the rest of the football world praise the transformation he has had on that team?

Bitter? Jaded? Ignorant?
Yeah, there's a lot of bitterness I think from a lot of Saints supporters.

Trading for recycled players is a proven tactic (where applicable) for Teams on the cusp of contending.

For those wanting to criticise Lyon for bringing in recycleds, what do you think of Sydney? Carltoon too. Hawthorn. Collingwood.

Hawthorn's recycled players were arguably the key to getting them over the line last year: Lake won the norm smith, Gibson had another great finals series, Hale was massive.

If you want to criticise over RL about using recycleds then that's fine, as long as you apply it to Longmire, Malthouse, Clarkson, Roos, Thompson and many more.
Hawthorn had 7 recycled players in their Premiership team, we had a total of 7 for the year and I doubt we had more than 5 at any one time.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lyon has done a predictably amazing job at Freo.... He's a brilliant football coach

His recorded is almost brilliant.

Lovett was not worth the risk?! Blind Freddy could see that?
He was an overrated outside receiver, who was as reliable on field as he was off...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Lyon has done a predictably amazing job at Freo.... He's a brilliant football coach

His recorded is almost brilliant.

Lovett was not worth the risk?! Blind Freddy could see that?
He was an overrated outside receiver, who was as reliable on field as he was off...

Please stop it with Lovett. Its over. Done and cant be undone. Yes you were right at the time. lets have a thread on Rooy playing like a super rules player after round one 2012 or a thread on Lenny restiring at the end of 2012 after one game that year. Yep one game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think it was our development around those guys that compounded the problem. If we had kept all of Cripps, hutchings and Lynch along with giving time to some of the guys that hung around not getting a game we may not be in a hole now. Even guys like Ledger and Crocker may still be playing if they had been given game time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I think it was our development around those guys that compounded the problem. If we had kept all of Cripps, hutchings and Lynch along with giving time to some of the guys that hung around not getting a game we may not be in a hole now. Even guys like Ledger and Crocker may still be playing if they had been given game time.

Didnt those players play every week anyway unless they were injured? Anyway all of them are probably going to be GOPS or worse so I doubt they would solve any real issues at our club. The problem we have is we only have one star player under the age of 30.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
murray 66 wrote:Didn't get ago until Ross came along though?

Oh thanks for clarifying....

Lovett wasn't a hack.

Eddy wasn't recycled.

How come its only St Kilda supporters that think he is doing a bad job at Fremantle? And the rest of the football world praise the transformation he has had on that team?

Bitter? Jaded? Ignorant?

Let's get some answers flowing.
Like an addict in denial, many on here refuse to accept that our club f***ed up spectacularly in losing Lyon. It was one of the most inept moments in our Club's history. Good riddance to Westaway and Nettlefold.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:
Spinner wrote:
murray 66 wrote:Didn't get ago until Ross came along though?

Oh thanks for clarifying....

Lovett wasn't a hack.

Eddy wasn't recycled.

How come its only St Kilda supporters that think he is doing a bad job at Fremantle? And the rest of the football world praise the transformation he has had on that team?

Bitter? Jaded? Ignorant?

Let's get some answers flowing.
Like an addict in denial, many on here refuse to accept that our club f***ed up spectacularly in losing Lyon. It was one of the most inept moments in our Club's history. Good riddance to Westaway and Nettlefold.
+1

I would almost deny those two memberships.

But we are too broke to pick and choose unfortunately

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:Hawthorn's recycled players were arguably the key to getting them over the line last year: Lake won the norm smith, Gibson had another great finals series, Hale was massive.
And Gunston kicked four goals.

If anyone's got a serious problem with recycled players then they'll need to get over it because every club will have more and more of them in years to come. The only loyalty in footy is from the supporters, for better or worse.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Recycling and targeting are two different things

We took delisted players (Lovett aside)

Hawthorn traded for Burgoyne (gun) Lake (AA) Gibson (required player at NM) Gunston (young gun)
These were not rejects

Would Pattison, Smith, Polo, Gamble, C.Gardiner, Birss, Begley... I am sure there are others

Would any of those have got another contract? Or are any still in the system?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Recycling and targeting are two different things

Hawthorn traded for Burgoyne (gun) Lake (AA) Gibson (required player at NM) Gunston (young gun)
These were not rejects

Would Pattison, Smith, Polo, Gamble, C.Gardiner, Birss, Begley... I am sure there are others

They had money in their cap and we didnt. That is one reason we couldnt get better players from other clubs. Did it cost us good draft picks. Not really and we did use the draft picks the results were mostly poor. You cant blame a coach for not trusting our recuiting area. Also you fail to mention we also got Schneider, Dempster, Ray, MG and King. 3 of those are still regulars.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Recycling and targeting are two different things

These were not rejects

You also fail to mention that hawthorn also drafted Pattison, after us!

They've also added Simpkin, Cheney & Spangher who were either delisted or came very cheaply.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: You also fail to mention that hawthorn also drafted Pattison, after us!
Was he the dude who kept a snake or am i mixing him up with someone else?
Who was the dude who did martial arts and had a snake?
Worth drafting him just for that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote: You also fail to mention that hawthorn also drafted Pattison, after us!
Was he the dude who kept a snake or am i mixing him up with someone else?
Who was the dude who did martial arts and had a snake?
Worth drafting him just for that.

Troy Simmons

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Did Hawthorn Draft or Rookie Pattison?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Did Hawthorn Draft or Rookie Pattison?
Does it matter? They're both drafts...

They also drafted McCauley around the same time

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes,

The commitment..... time wise, financially?

A Ruckman recruited for Box Hill, with the option if necessary

Really he was purely back up, and didn't take a primary list spot... Every club should have 3 mature age rookies IMO .... Like us

Especially a Ruckman though....

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon is an excellent coach, and I wish him no luck at all in the finals.

I dont know if Lyon can develop a team though, so it is moot if he was still at the Saints or not.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)