Gloomy outlook in heartland

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gloomy outlook in heartland

We all love "heartland" footy etc - but I have no qualms about expansion, nor the way the AFL has gone about it.

They've aggressively targeted all the big national markets and, while the pain will be felt in the next five years, the long-term national interest in the game - over the next 100 years - will be something that benefits us all. I genuinely believe that.

I want to see footy in rude health for generations to come; I never want to walk the walk of Fitzroy.

If the game can expand nationally, and powerfully, it means we can get better television deals, which means healthier clubs for us and our children to enjoy. And, ideally, an opportunity to invest in what makes "heartland" football clubs great in the first place - the link with their local communities.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what people expected when these two expansion clubs came in. The AFL had to give them generous concessions otherwise what was the point of bringing them in in the first place. We were part of the competition that voted for it. Can't complain when the boys grow into men and start giving everyone a whipping.

saintkellerm
Club Player

I ended up going to the Rebels vs Crusaders game at AAMI stadium and thought it was a pretty good crowd of 13k on a Friday night. I was thinking about going to the footy, but nahh Saints weren't playing, considering there was only one game in Melbourne. I like the crowd better as there are not any obnoxious supporters (well where I was sitting and it was the cheap seats of $25). I was ready to send an email to the AFL about my disenchantment with footy and what has happened, Essendon saga, Sydney concessions, the fixture how lopsided it is, but then decided not to (I don't know why). Anyway I will be going on Saturday night to see the Saints. Do I expect them to win...of course, reality is I can't see them winning, our midfield is the key and with our experienced guys out...however I just want to see the kids and the team have a red hot go. Maybe I still can't get over how we were so close to winning the big one and did not...if only!!! I have been supporting the Saints a long time like alot on here, we are not going to give up on them and stop supporting them its just not the same. Maybe when the Saints play this weekend....then I can get excited.

sverik25
Club Player

What was the AFL thinking scheduling Carlton and Port at 7:40 on a Sunday night when people had work and school the next day? No wonder the crowd was an atrocious 24,460.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Historically the beginning of the new season is marked with excitement and optimism by most Victorian football fans. This year is different, Magpie fans are not confident, nor Carlton and Richmond. Lets not even discuss Essendon and their state of mind. Melbourne, Footscray and North, or whats left of them are loyal, but they don't seriously expect their teams to do well.

Our teams do not even have exciting young kids to develop, they have all been sent to the 'new world'. The AFL in their wisdom have artificially stimulated intesrtate teams in order to develop a national game. Good for them.

But not good for the Victorian heartland supporters. There is a real lack of excitment this year. I'm expecting attendance will be down, and general interest in football in Victoria will be lacking.

+1

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sverik25 wrote:What was the AFL thinking scheduling Carlton and Port at 7:40 on a Sunday night when people had work and school the next day? No wonder the crowd was an atrocious 24,460.

When would you have played it?

ctqs
Club Player

The fact football is sold on hope is not new, but it will get harder and harder for certain clubs when the fans realise that the AFL doesn't give two hoots about their teams other than to keep them afloat to make up numbers.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
sverik25 wrote:What was the AFL thinking scheduling Carlton and Port at 7:40 on a Sunday night when people had work and school the next day? No wonder the crowd was an atrocious 24,460.

So was the game played at night because the racing was on in the day? Was that the thinking behind it?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So was the game played at night because the racing was on in the day? Was that the thinking behind it?

I would 100% say so.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

things would look better if we could all our players and new recruits to get this Tatt.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

I feel for the people of Tassie amongst all this talk of expansion clubs. I really do.

They've always been a loyal footy state...right down to grass roots level, they love their footy the same way we do here in Victoria. We've had some great players come to us from the Apple Isle.

Unfortunately, the bean counters and market demographic analysts who compelled the AFL to venture into Western Sydney and the Gold Coast, don't care for such things.

You'd back Tassie footy followers to still turn up week after week, even if their team was shizen - I don't really think the same could be said for GC and GWS supporters, IF their boys ever headed down the wrong end of the ladder.

I say "if" because most smart people would realise that the AFL would never allow this to occur, for fear of their code losing "market share" in such "important" growth areas.

Tassie footy followers are victims of geography and having too small a population to fit the model "marketing demographic".

Call me an old romantic if you like, but in my heart of hearts I don't think it's right or proper.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one... :wink:

sverik25
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Okay, even taking into account the F1 it would have been better in a normal time slot on Sunday afternoon. And if that was logistically not possible they could have played it on Saturday afternoon - there were no other matches on then.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sverik25 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Okay, even taking into account the F1 it would have been better in a normal time slot on Sunday afternoon. And if that was logistically not possible they could have played it on Saturday afternoon - there were no other matches on then.

Broadcasters didnt want it at anytime the F1 was on. Better get used to broadcasters deciding game times.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how successful the AFL view the Sunday night games since their introduction. Of all the new initiatives I wonder if Sunday night football is viable. Even as a TV game it is at a time when people are shutting down on the weekend and looking to prepare for a new week ahead. Time will tell I suppose.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I wonder how successful the AFL view the Sunday night games since their introduction. Of all the new initiatives I wonder if Sunday night football is viable. Even as a TV game it is at a time when people are shutting down on the weekend and looking to prepare for a new week ahead. Time will tell I suppose.

Well they said it rated very well Sunday night which is a big time for ratings.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Favier wrote:Tassie footy followers are victims of geography and having too small a population to fit the model "marketing demographic".
Well, yes, that's exactly right.

They'd draw 17-20,000 on a good day and 10,000 on a bad day - and that's for the next 50 years. Not to mention that most Taswegians already have an AFL club, who they support passionately.

Within a decade, GWS will be hosting matches against Sydney/Collingwood/Essendon and drawing capacity crowds. Sure, it will always be tough, but no city loves a winner like Sydney, and if Western Sydney is "sticking it" to the Swans and Victorians, they'll tune in or turn up in droves - especially if they have some big, tall, elite stars to call their own.

That's TV gold right there. Granted, it's not as wholesome as the Tasmanian proposal, but GWS and Gold Coast has the capacity to boost the TV deal again and ensure the sustainability of every AFL club.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I wonder how successful the AFL view the Sunday night games since their introduction. Of all the new initiatives I wonder if Sunday night football is viable. Even as a TV game it is at a time when people are shutting down on the weekend and looking to prepare for a new week ahead. Time will tell I suppose.

Who is "they" and what were the figures and how did they compare to other time slots and other times in the year?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Who is "they" and what were the figures and how did they compare to other time slots and other times in the year?

They is the radio and it got 270k viewers which is massive for pay TV. So that is they.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

They is the radio and it got 270k viewers which is massive for pay TV. So that is they.
I don't reckon it is that much. Who was spruiking the numbers? How does that compare to Friday or Saturday viewing audiences.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

ctqs wrote:The fact football is sold on hope is not new, but it will get harder and harder for certain clubs when the fans realise that the AFL doesn't give two hoots about their teams other than to keep them afloat to make up numbers.

Yep, taking away hope is a significant tactical and marketing blunder. If interest in AFL drops, crowds will drop and ratings will drop.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
Johnny Favier wrote:Tassie footy followers are victims of geography and having too small a population to fit the model "marketing demographic".
Well, yes, that's exactly right.

They'd draw 17-20,000 on a good day and 10,000 on a bad day - and that's for the next 50 years. Not to mention that most Taswegians already have an AFL club, who they support passionately.

Within a decade, GWS will be hosting matches against Sydney/Collingwood/Essendon and drawing capacity crowds. Sure, it will always be tough, but no city loves a winner like Sydney, and if Western Sydney is "sticking it" to the Swans and Victorians, they'll tune in or turn up in droves - especially if they have some big, tall, elite stars to call their own.

That's TV gold right there. Granted, it's not as wholesome as the Tasmanian proposal, but GWS and Gold Coast has the capacity to boost the TV deal again and ensure the sustainability of every AFL club.
Oh for sure, I understand the realities all too well - but it's in the same basket as corporate hangers-on getting free Grand Final tickets while dyed-in-the-wool, fair dinkum supporters miss out.

It's harsh, but that's the world we live in these days.