first 4/9th of round one

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

first 4/9th of round one

...my thoughts and obsevations.....yes i know it's early days but...

. any weekend where collingwood, carlton, sydney and richmond all lose..is a very good weekend
. i'm not yet sold on freo for the flag, but they have improved their goalkicking ability.
. collingwood are crap...and unless their new batch of kids are worldbeaters, we will win a premiership before they do.
. maxwell and clarke are cooked...ball maybe...
. the afl have created two monsters who will clean up all opposition for the next decade or so.....only a matter of time..
. we are coming from a long way back compared to the suns and gws..
. gws have 27 players drafted from pick 20 down to 1 and that figure will grow by at least one...possibly two for the next 5 years at least..
. carlton have missed the boat imho...their window of opportunity has closed....they are simply not good enough to go all the way..
. port are much better than i though..they have passed richmond and carlton...
. ollie wines is a superstar..
. the suns might just make the 8 as they are going to be near impossible to beat at home..
. maybe we are not as bad as i first thought judging by port and gws's performances...
. still, bottom three is a distinct possibility for us
. we still have the better riewoldt....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Beekay
SS Life Member

Re: first 4/9th of round one

Collingwood looked like a bottom 4 team. Watching Luke Ball kick for goal was embarrassing (almost as much as Buckley's behaviour in the box).
Did they even bother manning him up? He's got a flag, so the last laugh is his. Is he contracted next year? Seems like a liability, along with Maxwell and their Irish lad. High chance of missing the 8, going on that performance.

Carlton are no chance what-so-ever. Being my most disliked team, I'm pretty pumped that we're not deluding ourselves and are embracing the rebuild (unlike them).

Seeing Ports rise is delightful (hopefully the intellectual property and asset we've acquired from them could see some similar structures in place/turn of events). Go Port!

Jack Riewoldt isn't in the same galaxy as Nick. Not now, not ever.

GC/GWS. Be scared! It's actually awesome to watch this assembled talent play, but heartbreaking at the same time (just ludicrously unfair - though from a business perspective, bang on).

Last note. Freo. Ahhhhh they give me so many memories of rocking up to the footy knowing we'd win. I'm softening on my disdain for them (petty theatrics, i'll admit), but would still prefer the Hawks won again.
Last edited by Beekay on Wed 19 Mar 2014 3:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:Collingwood looked like a bottom 4 team. Watching Luke Ball kick for goal was embarrassing (almost as much as Buckley's behaviour in the box).
Did they even bother manning him up? He's got a flag, so the last laugh is his. Is he contracted next year? Seems like a liability, along with Maxwell and their Irish lad. High chance of missing the 8, going on that performance.

Carlton are no chance what-so-ever. Being my most disliked team, I'm pretty pumped that we're not deluding ourselves and are embracing the rebuild (unlike them).

Seeing Ports rise is delightful (hopefully the intellectual property and asset we've acquired from them could see some similar structures in place). Go Port!

Jack Riewoldt isn't in the same galaxy as Nick. Not now, not ever.

GC/GWS. Be scared! It's actually awesome to watch this assembled talent play, but heartbreaking at the same time (just ludicrously unfair - though from a business perspective, bang on).

Last note. Freo. Ahhhhh they give me so many memories of rocking up to the footy knowing we'd win. I'm softening on my disdain for them (petty theatrics, i'll admit), but would still prefer the Hawks won again.

we seem to be in agreement.... :D :D :D :D

this old codger is mighty pleased about that.....

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If only Essendon had of played last weekend and lost, it would have been perfect. Collingwood, Carlton Richmond, Essendon, all loser. What a perfect start to the season it would have been!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

for me i think that :

- Collingwood are not as bad as that game showed them to be , they have a few injurys and are settling in still by seasons end i reckon they will still be top 6

- GWS forward line is amazing , the experiance they have traded in this year are going to fast track their development i can see them making finals next year

- Cousin Jack is a great player but i think richmond is quickly becoming the wrong fit of team for him maybe a new home for him will see him become a better player (although still he will be a long way off Nick)

- Freo will make top 4 , what they do with that is dependent on injurys towards the pointy end of the year

- Carlton are on the road to nowhere , quiet possibly Calrton could have the legacy of turning two legendary coaches (Mick and Pagan) into spud coaches

- Gary Ablett Jr is the best investment in a player the comp has ever seen , not just for his performance but the way he influences those around him.. unlike the swans who have got buddy perhaps past his absoulte peek GC have got Abblet for his best playing years and judging on the team he has around him he will still be in that peak when the GC are making finals

- ive never cheered for a team besides St Kilda as hard as i was cheering for GWS to beat the swans

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:If only Essendon had of played last weekend and lost, it would have been perfect. Collingwood, Carlton Richmond, Essendon, all loser. What a perfect start to the season it would have been!
makes for one hell of a round two as well ...
Collingwood Vs Sydney
Carlton Vs Richmond

two of these teams are going to be 0-2 to start the year ...

with GWS to come up against us they would be fancying themselves as a red hot shot of being 2-0
Gold Coast will see where they are at against Freo in Perth off a 15 day break !!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

stinger
Saintsational Legend

have to agree with you on gws .....the 5 mature guys they recruited all bring someting special to gws...toughness and experience.......they certainly are better off than if they had drafted buddy.......they didn't need him......as the poster said...you can always get another buddy but you only ever have one mummy..... :wink:

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

History shows that on many occasions, the results in round one are not necessarily indicative of a team's performance over the whole season.

IMHO round five is the best time to make any calls.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Who will be first to say the 'R' word...Carlton or Collingwood?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:History shows that on many occasions, the results in round one are not necessarily indicative of a team's performance over the whole season.

for sure round one is always hit and miss hence why im not putting a fork in Collingwood as im sure they are no where near as bad as they were made to look by Freo ...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:History shows that on many occasions, the results in round one are not necessarily indicative of a team's performance over the whole season.

for sure round one is always hit and miss hence why im not putting a fork in Collingwood as im sure they are no where near as bad as they were made to look by Freo ...
it hink if you watched that abc geek on 360 last night you would see that the old guy you have quoted is talking through his bottom.....all results bar one from the fist round in 2012 and 2013 bore out the respective teams ranking for the rest of the year...the good teams won...the losers or bad teams lost...the only exception was the port v saints result in 2012.....they finished down the bottom...the saints in the 8..... :twisted:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

it hink if you watched that abc geek on 360 last night you would see that the old guy you have quoted is talking through his bottom.....all results bar one from the fist round in 2012 and 2013 bore out the respective teams ranking for the rest of the year...the good teams won...the losers or bad teams lost...the only exception was the port v saints result in 2012.....they finished down the bottom...the saints in the 8..... :twisted:

Did we make the 8 in 2012?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Yeah I think you could be right Trav...just wondering what the reaction would be if the coach of either Carlton or Collingwood mentions the 'R' word by round 3...you would think there would be an atomic shock wave felt throughout the land...hypothetical of coarse.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood have probably done what we should have done at some point and stepped back to go forward. If the can get another crack with Cloke, Pendlebag, swan, Reid, Sidebut, beams etc. they have done very well swapping their old crap for high draft picks.

Calling Freo favourites after one round is very silly. They are three injuries away from disaster like all top teams. If the Hawks lost Gunston, Mitchell and Roughy they would drift out. If the Dockers loose Pav, Sandi and Mundy they drop down a bit too. Carlton look hard to get excited about but that is based on last year and their list. Sydney will come back, richmond seem to lose to GCS out of habit.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Yeah I think you could be right Trav...just wondering what the reaction would be if the coach of either Carlton or Collingwood mentions the 'R' word by round 3...you would think there would be an atomic shock wave felt throughout the land...hypothetical of coarse.
considering Mick was targeted as the missing piece of the puzzle to get the blues into a grand final if Carlton start talking about rebuilds after one year with Mick then that say alot about how they over rated their list ... i think Collingwood have been rebuilding for a little while now they are getting blokes into the team and pushing out what they dont really need , ill expect that to continue next year as well with guys like HarryO Maxwell Lynch heck maybe even Ball getting moved on they wont go the whole bottoming out rebuild though

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Collingwood have probably done what we should have done at some point and stepped back to go forward. If the can get another crack with Cloke, Pendlebag, swan, Reid, Sidebut, beams etc. they have done very well swapping their old crap for high draft picks.

Calling Freo favourites after one round is very silly. They are three injuries away from disaster like all top teams. If the Hawks lost Gunston, Mitchell and Roughy they would drift out. If the Dockers loose Pav, Sandi and Mundy they drop down a bit too. Carlton look hard to get excited about but that is based on last year and their list. Sydney will come back, richmond seem to lose to GCS out of habit.
i reckon the Dockers can cover for Sandi going down with the likes of Griffin and Clarke, obviously they will be stronger with Sandi but they are not as reliant on him to get first use of the ball as they were say 2 years ago ... also i think the reliance on Pav is not as big as it once was especially with guys like Fyfe and Mayne hitting the score ... and Mundy i think is a great player but i dont see him as the game changer honestly i think it would hurt freo much more losing Fyfe, Hill and Mayne

sainter27
Club Player

Ball is absolutely cooked. All he can do now is handball from inside a pack, he is too slow and his kicking
range has gone from 38 metres to 33 metres over summer

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

sainter27 wrote:Ball is absolutely cooked. All he can do now is handball from inside a pack, he is too slow and his kicking
he still has a good footy brain though ... he gets to the right places and he knows how to get the ball the problem is he hasnt got the pace or the power to do anything that hurts his opponent when he does get the ball ... i can see Ball being a damn good coach at some point

gringo
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
gringo wrote:Collingwood have probably done what we should have done at some point and stepped back to go forward. If the can get another crack with Cloke, Pendlebag, swan, Reid, Sidebut, beams etc. they have done very well swapping their old crap for high draft picks.

i reckon the Dockers can cover for Sandi going down with the likes of Griffin and Clarke, obviously they will be stronger with Sandi but they are not as reliant on him to get first use of the ball as they were say 2 years ago ... also i think the reliance on Pav is not as big as it once was especially with guys like Fyfe and Mayne hitting the score ... and Mundy i think is a great player but i dont see him as the game changer honestly i think it would hurt freo much more losing Fyfe, Hill and Mayne

Either way they probably are the main men now but there are plenty of teams that will struggle to remain favourites if there best few players can't get on the park.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

sainter27 wrote:Ball is absolutely cooked. All he can do now is handball from inside a pack, he is too slow and his kicking
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
he still has a good footy brain though ... he gets to the right places and he knows how to get the ball the problem is he hasnt got the pace or the power to do anything that hurts his opponent when he does get the ball ... i can see Ball being a damn good coach at some point
Wish some of our midfielders were as cooked as Ball
25 disposals and 9 tackles vs Freo
If Armo or any of our other inside mids approach those numbers I will do cartwheels from Docklands to Seaford!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Wish some of our midfielders were as cooked as Ball
25 disposals and 9 tackles vs Freo
If Armo or any of our other inside mids approach those numbers I will do cartwheels from Docklands to Seaford!
Armo had a few 30 + games last season and a few BOGs. He very unfairly marked the big Armadillo. I expect him to go up a cog this season. He is now officially the biggest set of guns at the club and looks to be taking the leadership role seriously.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't bagging Armo, love him to become A grade.
Making the point that Ball is still a very valuable contributor.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

very hard to judge Collingwood's (or anybody else's) prospects for the year from a round one game. (IMHO) However, it was an awful pasting from Fremantle nonetheless.
I remember Collingwood being 6-0 in 2000 and then not winning another game (until they played us) and finishing in 15th position.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

GWS and GC get another 2 top 20 picks again at the end of this year - guaranteed I think.

It is also a fact that Port have the 3rd most top 20 draft picks on their list (after GC & GWS of course) - so I don't think last year was a fluke. They are very dangerous.

I think the Pies will be thereabouts with Adams, Grundy, Scharenberg and Freeman coming up.

If Freo stay injury free they will romp it in. And look out for Anthony Morabito -if his knees hold up then hes another A grader.

But yep - as well all know injuries are a huge factor so things will change as the season goes on.

As long as Sydney, Geelong, Pies and Blues are all no good - Ill be at semi-peace.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Oh my god I am having a bad day . I can't believe I left the Bombers out of that list ...
Talk about mental blank. Of course ill be much happier if those pricks are down the bottom for the next decade.