Round 1 Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 1 Team

Con......... are you in WA these days or in Melbourne?

I'm always coming across the Dockers water walking at Sth Beach Freo these days. I usually swim there 3 mornings per week at day break.

Never see Lyon there.......... think they just turn up there the morning after a hard training session the day previously.

Gawd they look fit........... skinfolds spot on and rippling with core body muscle............. not that I'm a perve of course!!

Think there is a weakness with them though........ they are (IMHO) weak mentally..... they don't walk out further than about 40-50 metres...... scared of sharks me thinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne has a really bad record at Etihad. I'd like to know when was the last time we had 3 debutants playing round 1?

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Melbourne has a really bad record at Etihad. I'd like to know when was the last time we had 3 debutants playing round 1?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
minneapolis
Club Player

Who were they?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Lee had shoulder issues preseason and is coming from a fair way back. Richo has suggested that jones and Saunders would play defensive forward roles so pretty much what he said. Gilbert is extremely unlikely to play. Billings should be sub.
i say ross in....gilbo out....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
martymcfly_86
Club Player

Can someone with a bit of know-how please explain why Seb Ross isn't in the 22? He should be knocking the door down. I'm really disappointed.

"Whoa Doc, this is heavy." - Marty McFly following Ross Lyon's departure
Junior
Club Player

minneapolis wrote:Who were they?
Steven Sziller, Aussie Jones and Darryl Wakelin

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:
minneapolis wrote:Who were they?
Steven Sziller, Aussie Jones and Darryl Wakelin
Handy trio

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

martymcfly_86 wrote:Can someone with a bit of know-how please explain why Seb Ross isn't in the 22? He should be knocking the door down. I'm really disappointed.
Couple of little things called vitality and stamina :evil:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Junior
Club Player

martymcfly_86 wrote:Can someone with a bit of know-how please explain why Seb Ross isn't in the 22? He should be knocking the door down. I'm really disappointed.
Did not take his chances in Pre season games, played well at Sandy on the weekend and I would think would be next in line.

Looks good in and under but is kicking can be a bit sloppy and pace an issue.

Problem for him will be Hayes and Montagna are back next week so he will fall down the pecking order.

FQF
SS Life Member

Junior wrote:
Did not take his chances in Pre season games, played well at Sandy on the weekend and I would think would be next in line.

Looks good in and under but is kicking can be a bit sloppy and pace an issue.

Problem for him will be Hayes and Montagna are back next week so he will fall down the pecking order.
It's true, he would be disappointed that he could not break into our midfield this week. Hopefully, it is as depleted as it will ever be this season.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Con......... are you in WA these days or in Melbourne?

I'm always coming across the Dockers water walking at Sth Beach Freo these days. I usually swim there 3 mornings per week at day break.

Never see Lyon there.......... think they just turn up there the morning after a hard training session the day previously.

Gawd they look fit........... skinfolds spot on and rippling with core body muscle............. not that I'm a perve of course!!

Think there is a weakness with them though........ they are (IMHO) weak mentally..... they don't walk out further than about 40-50 metres...... scared of sharks me thinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's hope a shark gets past those drum lines while Ross takes a dip in his budgie smugglers...he'd probably try and buy it off.....

“Yeah….nah””
Junior
Club Player

Teflon wrote:

Let's hope a shark gets past those drum lines while Ross takes a dip in his budgie smugglers...he'd probably try and buy it off.....
Reckon Lyon and the Dockers would be alright so long as they stayed within fifty meters of the shore.

As even a shark does not get inside fifty against Lyon and the dockers.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Junior wrote:
Did not take his chances in Pre season games.

Same goes for Tom Lee, I reckon. Sadly Beau Wilkesmaister was better performed during the pre-season. Disappointing.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Stanley is the trump
That remains to be seen. He'd want to get a rattle on.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

If he can't make the 22 in his third year with Dal gone, and Lenny, Joey and Steven all out for different reasons he should be worried. Where is he in the pecking order when we get a few back?

Disappointing IMO. Hope he can push his way in at some stage. If he's still on the outskirts at seasons end with blokes like our 3 draftees from last year looking ok he will be in trouble. Early draft picks this year is also likely.

8856brother wrote:
If he can't make the 22 in his third year with Dal gone, and Lenny, Joey and Steven all out for different reasons he should be worried. Where is he in the pecking order when we get a few back?

Disappointing IMO. Hope he can push his way in at some stage. If he's still on the outskirts at seasons end with blokes like our 3 draftees from last year looking ok he will be in trouble. Early draft picks this year is also likely.
It seems that while he was tracking quite well last year, toward the end of the year he was overtaken by Curren, and in the off-season he was again overtaken by Dunstan.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:12 Changes from Round 22 v Freo

OUT: Hayes (susp), Montagna (susp), Schneider (inj), Steven (inj), Lee (emerg), Ross (emerg), Dal Santo (fa), McEvoy (trade), Ledger (delist), Blake (ret), Koschitzke (ret), Milne (ret)

IN: Billings (0 games), Delaney (26), Dunstan (0), Gwilt (109), Maister (40), Newnes (25), Saunders (10), Savage (56), Stanley (39), Templeton (0), Webster (11), Wright (8)

Not much experience coming in there! R22 the average age was 26.9. Now it's 24.1. Average games played was 135, now it's 66! Huge difference.

We haven't had a team with an average age under 25 since R19 2009 - that Hawks game in Tassie. Before that it was Armo's first game (along with Sweeney and Brad Howard), against the Hawks again in R8 2007. But those teams still were nowhere near as young and inexperienced as this one.
Those are alarming stats, Bergholt. If it wasn't the Dees we are coming up against, I'd say we'd have no hope. Maybe Melbourne's all-round, general crapulance, and their lack of forward options, will see us scrape home. I must admit that's one of the weakest looking saints sides I've seen on paper, in a very long time.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

bergholt wrote:12 Changes from Round 22 v Freo

OUT: Hayes (susp), Montagna (susp), Schneider (inj), Steven (inj), Lee (emerg), Ross (emerg), Dal Santo (fa), McEvoy (trade), Ledger (delist), Blake (ret), Koschitzke (ret), Milne (ret)

IN: Billings (0 games), Delaney (26), Dunstan (0), Gwilt (109), Maister (40), Newnes (25), Saunders (10), Savage (56), Stanley (39), Templeton (0), Webster (11), Wright (8)

Not much experience coming in there! R22 the average age was 26.9. Now it's 24.1. Average games played was 135, now it's 66! Huge difference.

We haven't had a team with an average age under 25 since R19 2009 - that Hawks game in Tassie. Before that it was Armo's first game (along with Sweeney and Brad Howard), against the Hawks again in R8 2007. But those teams still were nowhere near as young and inexperienced as this one.

That game in 09 against the Hawks in Tassie was also Jack Steven first game.

I went over for the match and came back on the same plane as the players, I sat next to Jack on the plane, he was a nice bloke!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Loris,
I dont want to be accused of being off topic - but you will find they go to Ootong and Lincoln (cafe) a fair bit. I have seen Ross there a few times. I also dont want to be accused of being a perve - but Chris Maine's gf is sensational - they are always at Port Beach and she wears a small bikini.

I still cant believe noone has discussed how blonde our fwd line is this week - its like the Aryan Army of Hitler youth down there.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Loris,
I dont want to be accused of being off topic - but you will find they go to Ootong and Lincoln (cafe) a fair bit. I have seen Ross there a few times. I also dont want to be accused of being a perve - but Chris Maine's gf is sensational - they are always at Port Beach and she wears a small bikini.

I still cant believe noone has discussed how blonde our fwd line is this week - its like the Aryan Army of Hitler youth down there.
I do enjoy your posts Con..

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
I do enjoy your posts Con..
Thanks teffers. That's very kind. That makes two of us. I enjoy yours also.

But seriously i was going to compare our fwd line with the von trapps or swiss family robinson but google image told me even they snuck a brunette or two in. The last time this many blondes was assembled in one part of a football ground was either a Hitler youth rally or a Saints Disco after party.

Saunders Roo Jones
Stanley Maister Eli

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

whatever the logic behind stanley's selection he is very lucky to be there....very lucky. i am not sure what he has done to deserve his spot other than being tall. imo lee should be there as he is the better forward of the two but obviously we need backup in the ruck.

I hope he gets a real go in the ruck because the only times i have seen him play well are the times he has pinched in the ruck. in fact the best ever was the time against west coast where he truly out rucked nit nat for a qtr before going down with a hammy.

#1 Ryder fan
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:whatever the logic behind stanley's selection he is very lucky to be there....very lucky. i am not sure what he has done to deserve his spot other than being tall. imo lee should be there as he is the better forward of the two but obviously we need backup in the ruck.

I hope he gets a real go in the ruck because the only times i have seen him play well are the times he has pinched in the ruck. in fact the best ever was the time against west coast where he truly out rucked nit nat for a qtr before going down with a hammy.
In Richo We Trust. (Insert whatever current coaches name is).

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Saunders isn't blonde... Maybe They could use Curren down there instead Con?