Round 1 Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Round 1 Team

IMHO only 5 out of our round 1 team would get a game at a top 10 team - and I have included Dunstan as one of the 5.

I understand it's all about the future and development - but that has got to be one of the worst teams on paper since those early GT days

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
supersaints
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Teflon wrote:
I do enjoy your posts Con..
Thanks teffers. That's very kind. That makes two of us. I enjoy yours also.

But seriously i was going to compare our fwd line with the von trapps or swiss family robinson but google image told me even they snuck a brunette or two in. The last time this many blondes was assembled in one part of a football ground was either a Hitler youth rally or a Saints Disco after party.

Saunders Roo Jones
Stanley Maister Eli
Almost like the good old disco days
In 78 we had Trevor Barker, Garry sidebottom , Phil Stevens, Rex Hunt ( yes- with hair) Michael Roberts, Greg Burns and of course Big Carl roaming around forward of the center. A site to be seen

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
PJ
SS Life Member

Why would you say that is one of the worst teams on paper. Inexperienced yes but worst jeezus give the kids some breathing room.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Jaz
Club Player

Whilst there is not doubt this is an inexperienced team its probably the best they could do given injuries suspension and form.

What I'll be looking for.

#1 Tagger/stopping role - previously been Jones, he's getting a bit older now and geary is getting more time in the midfield. Both need to add a string to their bow to push for the #1 spot as there may only be room for one of them going forward.

#Mid sized backs - Gwilt and Gilbert have been a long way off their best for some years, Dempster and Roberton have been really good and webster looks to be making progress - only room for 3 of these in the team IMO so Gwilt and or Gilbert needs to start finding some form. Gilbert may be able to go forward and be our 3rd tall unitl Lee,Longer or White prove themselves.

Stanley - Has played so many more games than he has earned at this stage, going into round one with Stanley our 2nd ruck is very concerning, really needs to insert himself on the game and demand his spot in the side

Young mids - Ideally most wouldn't be playing AFL at this stage but they have an opportunity so its a great chance to show what they can do early in the season. Looking for Billings, Dunstan and Templeton to show something and then Saunders and Newnes to start racking up a few more possessions than they have been.

One thing that is better this year is there are no glaring deficiencies in the team - ie our backs last year. We don't have much (fully developed)talent all around the ground but there are no single areas where we will be destroyed by opposition teams. This will probably result in 10 to 15 'honourable' losses this year and only a handful of blowouts.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
Almost like the good old disco days
In 78 we had Trevor Barker, Garry sidebottom , Phil Stevens, Rex Hunt ( yes- with hair) Michael Roberts, Greg Burns and of course Big Carl roaming around forward of the center. A site to be seen
Def like the 80s - but Burnsy was a centreman ? If your counting Burnsy - I'm counting Armo.
I still don't reckon we had 6/6 blondes even in the 80s in the fwd line - and given Roo and Jones are almost albino they count double :D

Then it got me thinking of picking an AFL blonde 18 - The fwd line is chock a block with talent (Ablett Sr, Blight, Knight,s Modra, Le Cras, Roo, Capper, O Keefe, Hudson etc etc) - but I struggled to fill the backline - pretty funny if you try it.