Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint-stu
Club Player

Re: Hickey

plugger66 wrote:Hickey was good tonight but some who rate hit outs seem all of a sudden dont rate them. Amazing. And why was he good, because he got the ball around the ground.
The big screen showed that he was slightly down in overall hitouts but was clearly ahead in hitouts to advantage. Not sure what the stats for the whole game were.

I thought he had a great game. Still think it's too early to say that he is better than Mac. Big Mac was outstanding around the ground, particularly with contested marks.

1ac46a38
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

So for those that saw...

how does one rate Hickey's game Vs McEvoy's for the Hawks?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Hickey was great tonight.

Great all round performance in the ruck. Tap work was great at times!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I certainly don't rate hit out... Unless of course they are dominant hit out...

I thought Hickey was beaten for number of hit outs, but his quality of taps was better than Spencer. Stanley in his brief ruckwork was better again.

Hickey moved very well around the ground, like an extra on ballet.... He was a bit Everitt like around the ground.

But like Spider, is not strong in an overhead contest.

He was out pointed by Grimes in the forward pocket... And Dom Tyson on the wing in the last quarter when you'd like a Ruckman to take a contested grab.... Either defensively, as a 'get out' from defense... Or occasionally fwd.
He stood up once down back early and caught it, but it was uncontested.

His game was very good.... No doubt.... Love him to play that well every game... He will face better opposition than Spencer?!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I certainly don't rate hit out... Unless of course they are dominant hit out...

I thought Hickey was beaten for number of hit outs, but his quality of taps was better than Spencer. Stanley in his brief ruckwork was better again.

Hickey moved very well around the ground, like an extra on ballet.... He was a bit Everitt like around the ground.

But like Spider, is not strong in an overhead contest.

He was out pointed by Grimes in the forward pocket... And Dom Tyson on the wing in the last quarter when you'd like a Ruckman to take a contested grab.... Either defensively, as a 'get out' from defense... Or occasionally fwd.
He stood up once down back early and caught it, but it was uncontested.

His game was very good.... No doubt.... Love him to play that well every game... He will face better opposition than Spencer?!

So nice of you. Im sure he will be feeling better today for that.

Watts the Buzz
Club Player

Loved Tom Hickey's game last night......his tap work and mobility is really impressive. For all those that thought that we gave up too much to get him across from GCS, think again.
He's potentially a far better ruckman than Ben McEvoy is and will be around for a long long time with the mighty Sainters!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why is he potentially a far better better Ruckman than Ben?

They are different...

Ben has many more runs on the board ATM

Johnny Favier
Club Player

Tom was excellent last night.

His second efforts and tackling were a bonus for a big guy.

If he can keep up this kind of improvement as the season wears on, we'll be ahead on the McEvoy deal by the end of the year.
I just hope he's as durable as McEvoy was.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Watts the Buzz wrote:Loved Tom Hickey's game last night......his tap work and mobility is really impressive. For all those that thought that we gave up too much to get him across from GCS, think again.
He's potentially a far better ruckman than Ben McEvoy is and will be around for a long long time with the mighty Sainters!
I don't think he is potentially a far better ruck man than Ben, but he's potentially just as good which is all that matters.
One of the big surprises for me is how quickly he has come on in a year, that is very promising….

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:Apparently Lee was woeful for Sandy today. What on earth did they see in this guy to trade such an early pick? What a waste.
17 goals in 10 games in his first year at AFL level.....

but yet a bad first up game with sandy and it is a wasted pick?

Just for comparison

Lance Franklins first 10 games netted 9 goals

Locket 16
Riewoldt 3
Last edited by ausfatcat on Sun 23 Mar 2014 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
saintkid wrote:Apparently Lee was woeful for Sandy today. What on earth did they see in this guy to trade such an early pick? What a waste.
17 goals in 10 games in his first year at AFL level.....

but yet a bad first up game with sandy and it is a wasted pick?

Just for comparison

Lance Franklins first 10 games netted 9 goals

Wasnt lance 18 though. Lee needs to improve and do it pretty quickly. he is a great kick but does he have anymore than that.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Yes he does need to improve but he aint a write off yet was the point

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, whilst a different player to Ben... That is possibly correct.

I don't think he has the leadership of McEvoy... But has attributes...

Ben took 5 contested Marks yesterday... They are GOLD

Hickey won the ball through the middle.... That is important

Ben did beat Luenberger... Hickey played on Spencer

But we did get Savage and,Dunstan and Acres instead of Hartung which must be factored into it....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yeah, whilst a different player to Ben... That is possibly correct.

I don't think he has the leadership of McEvoy... But has attributes...

Ben took 5 contested Marks yesterday... They are GOLD

Hickey won the ball through the middle.... That is important

Ben did beat Luenberger... Hickey played on Spencer

But we did get Savage and,Dunstan and Acres instead of Hartung which must be factored into it....

What is correct? It would much easier for all here if you quoted so we know who you are replying to.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Ben's leadership qualities might be overplayed a tad, did we really see him as our next skipper?
A great bloke maybe, but without out and out aggression like King and Gardiner I think he lacks that edge to be skipper….

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He was a standout leader.... Don't worry about that.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Hickey got a big wrap on ch9, but surprisingly the coach didn't really respond but talked more about the McEvoy trade and Dunstan.

Sometimes I think there is an agenda toward Hickey because of opinion made by some at the time of him being trade to us.

How old is Hickey? 22?

Mac is three years older and much more experienced than Hickey. Last night we had a raw inexperienced midfield and I think Hickey gave our mids first use and also helped out with some precious and important second efforts in the centre square.

I think he is also very good below his knees for a big man.

He is young and raw but being compared to McEvoy? A tad unfair I would think.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
maverick
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Hickey got a big wrap on ch9, but surprisingly the coach didn't really respond but talked more about the McEvoy trade and Dunstan.

Sometimes I think there is an agenda toward Hickey because of opinion made by some at the time of him being trade to us.

How old is Hickey? 22?

Mac is three years older and much more experienced than Hickey. Last night we had a raw inexperienced midfield and I think Hickey gave our mids first use and also helped out with some precious and important second efforts in the centre square.

Agree, why compare Hickey to McEvoy now, Ben is clearly better, especially in contested marking.
The point is what will Hickey and Ben be like in 3 years time not now

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ben is just over 18 months older JB not 3 years... But is far more experienced

FQF
SS Life Member

In today's day and age I would far prefer an agile, nimble, aerobic ruckman than a one paced, extremely slow, big mark taker.

Obviously you want the full package, but in terms of balancing priorities, that's how I see it.

Hickey's also more competent at the centre bounce.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Hickey got a big wrap on ch9, but surprisingly the coach didn't really respond but talked more about the McEvoy trade and Dunstan.

How old is Hickey? 22?

Hickey just turned 23 a couple of weeks ago.
McEvoy will be 25 in July. Big Mac 20 months older than Hickey.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ben is just over 18 months older JB not 3 years... But is far more experienced
A couple of years older, a host of finals, grand Finals, two more years in the gym, and learning the game. 2 extra years knowing his mids (obviously only at the Saints, but the Hawk mids are probably the best in the League bar freo), learning his game etc.

Lets see what Hickey can bring in 2016.

At the moment I think he is improving, has the skill and agility, and we also get Savage, Dunstan, and Acres to watch and develop.

There is also Longer, Pierce, and Holmes in the ruck stocks to develop.

A long and winding road. I am a fan of Hickey, think he will make it. I am a fan of MacEvoy and think he will shine at the Hawks.

Hard choices needed to be made to revitalise the list. Time will tell but I may well be a win win trade. Certainly Dunstan is showing some real promise. Same with Hickey.

Promise

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
BigMart wrote:Ben is just over 18 months older JB not 3 years... But is far more experienced
A couple of years older, a host of finals, grand Finals, two more years in the gym, and learning the game. 2 extra years knowing his mids (obviously only at the Saints, but the Hawk mids are probably the best in the League bar freo), learning his game etc.

Lets see what Hickey can bring in 2016.

At the moment I think he is improving, has the skill and agility, and we also get Savage, Dunstan, and Acres to watch and develop.

There is also Longer, Pierce, and Holmes in the ruck stocks to develop.

A long and winding road. I am a fan of Hickey, think he will make it. I am a fan of MacEvoy and think he will shine at the Hawks.

Hard choices needed to be made to revitalise the list. Time will tell but I may well be a win win trade. Certainly Dunstan is showing some real promise. Same with Hickey.

Promise

I reckon trading McEvoy was the right move. He's a perfect fit for the Hawks I reckon, with Hale on their list as well. But as a #1 ruckman his slowness and lack of leap troubled me.

Given what we got for Mac and the need to re-shape our list it was a good move IMO. Also, Longer is only 20. He was Vic Metro under 18 captain, is 202cm and people were surprised when he slid to 8 in the draft.

Nice development curve in our list with Hickey showing promise and only 23 and Longer only 20. Begs the question that in a few years, if Hickey and Longer develop well, what will Rhys Stanley's role be? Key forward with occasional ruck pinch hitting? Seems to be the way it's going.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hickey first touched a footy at 17 years of age... Mac has about 10 years on him at playing the game.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hickey almost 2 years younger...and rawer.

2014 Games Log for Tom Hickey (St Kilda Saints)
Description Date Opponent Result K HB D M G B T HO GA I50 FF FA AF SC
Round 1 22nd Mar Melbourne Win 68-51 7 7 14 4 0 0 3 24 0 1 2 0 85 98

2014 Games Log for Ben McEvoy (Hawthorn Hawks)
Description Date Opponent Result K HB D M G B T HO GA I50 FF FA AF SC
Round 1 22nd Mar Brisbane Win 139-91 5 8 13 6 1 0 3 22 1 0 0 0 89 110

But we also gained in losing Ben a brace of players including Dunstan......and Dunstan may well a great player for us.

Our picks have all been about building our FUTURE. Hickey will get better. Dunstan shouts being a very good mid for us.

Ben will remain a good follower (around the ground ruck), but will struggle in any ball up situation.

I look at the Hickey of last night, and compare it to the Hickey that joined us, and he has improved. As a late comer to AFL as a game, and as a ruck at 23 he has a lot of upside.

Ben is still CURRENTLY better than Tom. But Ben is no way better than Tom, plus our acquisitions.

I would much rather be in our position of rebuilding a team, than say a Carlton who are just treading water before they sink

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....